• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

haloisdeadads21ds80.gif

Golden.

Amir0x

Banned
A GUIDE TO WHY PEOPLE ARE ANNOYED FOR THE UNINITIATED

The year is 2014. The multiplayer FPS genre has been dominated by a very specific brand of aim down sights/sprint based shooters, which started really exploding with the popularity of Call of Duty. Since then, for the majority of shooters... if you want to play them, you have to deal with that type of combat and gameplay.

But there existed a time before Call of Duty. A time when Unreal Tournament and Quake existed, which were some of the most finely tuned and blazingly fast FPS multiplayer experiences ever made to this day. A time when Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer was so sweetly balanced that it didn't need to hold your hand so you could hit something. The gameplay itself was so engaging and so competitive that you felt compelled to get better, and didn't need a constant feed of positive reinforcement to do so. You didn't need level ups and fuckin' attachments and stat differentials; it wasn't how much you grinded that mattered, but how much of the accumulated skill sets you internalized.

Halo existed in the between time, right when consoles were starting to be really feasible for competitive FPS titles. And it added some new things, yes, but it was still very much rooted in an older tradition, one where again it was simply skill vs. skill and the pace was entirely governed by the rules it played by which remained a staple.

Consider where we are today. One of the reasons people were so furious about Tomb Raider 2013 is that it destroyed entirely a gametype that literally no longer exists in the industry, replacing it with something we see every other goddamn day. It may have been acceptable in some remote way if we had a world where the older genre was thriving, but we don't. And it's not like the older genre was bad (quite the contrary, it remains amongst the best ideas ever had in gaming) - it's just newer gamers were conditioned to have their hands held to such an extreme that they no longer could adjust to those old gameplay ideals.

The same is true of Halo. Because there are extremely few games anymore in the old tradition. Almost no games in the old Halo tradition. They simply don't exist, squeezed out of existence by whining new fans who couldn't adjust, couldn't acquire the skill sets, and therefore demanded the few remaining vestiges of this amazing older style to be expunged. So now Halo too is becoming like all those other "me-too" shooters, and where does that leave those who actually liked that older tradition? With few if any options left.

And that's just part of the issue.

Because maybe if there was some way to do ADS/Sprint and still make it feel like Halo, people would accept it. But as demonstrated with Halo 4, there isn't. It destroyed the heart and soul of the multiplayer and the community simply abandoned it, full stop. They catered to people who did not fucking care and the result is the series cratered.

When you have ADS/Sprint, it changes the entire ebb and flow of the combat. Where before you had "Run and Gun" characteristics, now you have "Run or Gun" flow, where people are either slowing/stopping to shoot through iron sights or then engaging sprint to get out of dodge. This literally transforms the way a traditional Halo match used to go. And it doesn't transform it into something better, but something vastly different, with lower skill requirements and that feels like a billion other shooters on the market.

You don't have to be a fan of Halo to understand why this is so problematic to so many.

Not even a huge halo fan and this disgusts me. Not everything has to be a CoD clone. RIP arena shooters.

What is the problem with ADS again? WTF

Less circle strafing gameplay, more stationary aim and shoot. Goes against what halo 1 - reach has been about.

There's nothing inherently wrong with ADS, the problem is that we don't need CoD in space, we need variety. More importantly it goes against what halo fans like and expect.

Hubble

This is the shit I been saying all along about Halo 5. Check my post history I was always skeptical 343 could do the job. As a huge Halo fan, Halo 4 multiplayer was shit and I always railed all these armor abilities and perks . This leak is just ridiculous. 343 doesn't know what Halo multiplayer is

Foffy

Banned
I know people were mixed on Halo 4 feeling more like a Cowwadooty than a Halo.

Well, we now have a Cowwadooty-themed Halo.

Sir TapTap

Welp, people still care a lot about Halo, despite the old saying that Destiny is the true Halo 5 because Bungie.

I don't know what would be worse, THIS being Halo 5, or Destiny being Halo 5. Both are a terrible fate.

I just spit tea all over my keyboard.

OT - this is disgusting. There's no more hope for arena shooters.

UT4, believe. Epic seems to have their head in the right place.

If adding ADS makes Halo like every other game, that doesn't speak well to the franchise. Maybe there are areas where the game is very different from other shooters.

In a game where moving, shooting, aiming, and dodging are the core game mechanics, drastically altering the behavior of all of them could potentially change the feel of the game beyond recognition. aesthetics and weapons and such are certainly important, but I'd argue pretty much the exact opposite of you: if all the details of how you interact with the game world were utterly disposable and freely changeable, it would speak poorly of the game. It would say that people never cared about how the game played to begin with and the entire franchise only existed as a tool to stare at scifi stuff with.

nynt9

A GUIDE TO WHY PEOPLE ARE ANNOYED FOR THE UNINITIATED

The year is 2014. The multiplayer FPS genre has been dominated by a very specific brand of aim down sights/sprint based shooters, which started really exploding with the popularity of Call of Duty. Since then, for the majority of shooters... if you want to play them, you have to deal with that type of combat and gameplay.

But there existed a time before Call of Duty. A time when Unreal Tournament and Quake existed, which were some of the most finely tuned and blazingly fast FPS multiplayer experiences ever made to this day. A time when Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer was so sweetly balanced that it didn't need to hold your hand so you could hit something. The gameplay itself was so engaging and so competitive that you felt compelled to get better, and didn't need a constant feed of positive reinforcement to do so. You didn't need level ups and fuckin' attachments and stat differentials; it wasn't how much you grinded that mattered, but how much of the accumulated skill sets you internalized.

Halo existed in the between time, right when consoles were starting to be really feasible for competitive FPS titles. And it added some new things, yes, but it was still very much rooted in an older tradition, one where again it was simply skill vs. skill and the pace was entirely governed by the rules it played by which remained a staple.

Consider where we are today. One of the reasons people were so furious about Tomb Raider 2013 is that it destroyed entirely a gametype that literally no longer exists in the industry, replacing it with something we see every other goddamn day. It may have been acceptable in some remote way if we had a world where the older genre was thriving, but we don't. And it's not like the older genre was bad (quite the contrary, it remains amongst the best ideas ever had in gaming) - it's just newer gamers were conditioned to have their hands held to such an extreme that they no longer could adjust to those old gameplay ideals.

The same is true of Halo. Because there are extremely few games anymore in the old tradition. Almost no games in the old Halo tradition. They simply don't exist, squeezed out of existence by whining new fans who couldn't adjust, couldn't acquire the skill sets, and therefore demanded the few remaining vestiges of this amazing older style to be expunged. So now Halo too is becoming like all those other "me-too" shooters, and where does that leave those who actually liked that older tradition? With few if any options left.

And that's just part of the issue.

Because maybe if there was some way to do ADS/Sprint and still make it feel like Halo, people would accept it. But as demonstrated with Halo 4, there isn't. It destroyed the heart and soul of the multiplayer and the community simply abandoned it, full stop. They catered to people who did not fucking care and the result is the series cratered.

When you have ADS/Sprint, it changes the entire ebb and flow of the combat. Where before you had "Run and Gun" characteristics, now you have "Run or Gun" flow, where people are either slowing/stopping to shoot through iron sights or then engaging sprint to get out of dodge. This literally transforms the way a traditional Halo match used to go. And it doesn't transform it into something better, but something vastly different, which lower skill requirements, and that feels like a billion other shooters on the market.

You don't have to be a fan of Halo to understand why this is so problematic to so many.

Well put, but those who don't get it will still ignore you and go "lol welcome to 2014" unfortunately.

Mrbob

Oh my god they are Call of Dutying the game again.

At least the good Halo is coming out in a couple days. We can forget Halo 5 multi exists.

What if just one gun as ADS?

I mean, aren't we over reacting to a 2 second, bad quality, blurry video that doesn't give us much actual information?

Played it for years. People thinking the game can evolve and still be a good game doesn't mean they haven't played it. You have to try a little harder than that.
ADC and sprinting in a fast paced game isn't going forwards, it's backwards.

People want to play Halo, not AW with a spaceman skin.

Orayn

What is the problem with ADS again? WTF

It's typically associated with 1. Dramatically decreased movement speed while using ADS 2. Shitty accuracy while not using ADS.

Makes it into a completely different (and worse) type of game.

Silky

Banned
I really wish this "oh it's just ADS/Sprint why make such a big deal about it" mentality would go away. Show me any other relevant shooter that has similarities to what Halo wanted to accomplish. Since it's inception the game has had it's own unique feel, playstyle that even to this day has yet to be replicated. H1-3, and to a lesser extent Reach felt /good/ to play, reach's radical changes in all.

ADS doesn't make a Halo game, Halo. There's no need for it. Nor does Sprinting (imo at least).

Harmen

I like sprinting and aiming from the shoulder/zoom for more accuracy as gameplay elements. So I would not be bothered, but I am no Halo fan so maybe I am missing something.

Wollveren

Banned
No its not. If anything we aren't reacting strong enough.

I can't put into words how incredibly frustrated this is making me.

Honestly 343 has until Black Friday to convince me otherwise...or I'm not picking up an Xbox.

I mean COME THE FUCK ON. ADS? Really? Really?

I know how you feel! I'm so sad now, I was playing COD like 10 mins ago but taking a break out of frustration. I'm so clueless right now. I just hope the ADS is actually just a stylistic way of showing scoping in, so it could be the same, just looks like that instead. Also only limited to scope weapons.

PLEASE 343 :( Explain yourselves.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Halo 4 multiplayer owned crew represent! Looks cool to me!

Exile20

People that grew up on COD will see no problem or be puzzled why people are reacting this way.

The people who were gaming since Halo are like "WTF is that shit?"

Top Bottom