• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

iMax

I would argue that its more of a devolution. Things are changing, but ADS is most certainly not a change for the better. Maybe this is all just much ado about nothing, but still.

I'm yet to see valid reasoning for this other than i) "I don't like it", or ii) "it's not Halo".

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
SGL9uQx.png

why didn't you say this here

lol.

I'm sorry, but do you think that because 5% of the playerbase of the Halo series doesn't like sprint or ads, that means 343 should cater their games to those 5%? Tens of millions of people play Halo, not just the gamers with NeoGAF accounts. Your opinion is not more valid than anyone elses.

sgtmofo

Neo Member
Surprisingly, I'm more up in arms about the inclusion of Sprint again. In Halo 4, sprint rewarded aggressive gameplay too much. Far too often you would get the jump with the DMR (and after the rebalancing update - the BR) and enemies under fire could easily sprint around corners or drop down to another level to avoid gunfire. By the time you would catch up with them, their shields would generally either be fully recharged or partially recharged. Halo 2 -- as I remember it -- went more along the lines of getting the jump on somebody, and if you didn't land the kill shot, being able to pin them down and lineup a frag grenade for the finish since they can't cover as much ground without Sprint. Hence, more strategy and forcing the player to do less running and gunning.

Unless the next generation of Forge is absolutely out of this world, I don't see myself continuing my Halo collection for the foreseeable future as long as Sprint is included.

Pop

The mere fact sprint is still in shows 343 learned nothing from 4 and doesn't care about appealing to the old fans.

They have a product for those people, it's called the Master Chief Collection.

I don't want to believe this but damnnn.

This is such crap for 343i to do this. Iron sights and sprint is not Halo.

I don't really care if they want to go a different route. I mean we have MCC, so there's really no point in them regurgitating the same product.

Throwing CoD elements onto midship is just the laziest way to go about a sequel to H4 though.

BokehKing

Banned
These comments from people saying adding ADS into the game is awesome is mind blowing to me.....

You're basically saying your excited that Halo will no longer be Halo. Why the hell does EVERY modern AAA shooter have to be COD? All I know is then I played MCC 2 months ago it was like a fresh breath of air. Something actually different.
Because the world moved on man, I use to love halo, and now I don't, because I can't go backwards to that game style of no sprinting, shoot shoot melee grenade jump
I did it to death in halo 2, other games came along, pushed the envelope, Halo refused to, so I made the decision to throw the tarp over her in hopes that one day, the dev's will grow some balls. People talk about 'speed' in halo is funny, it's not that fast. I don't want a twitch shooter, but if the gun play was like Destiny (minus hip fire penalty and Nova bombs) I would be all over it

iMax

Yeah, I think it is time we should start playing football with five balls and 55 players, the game is so stale, it needs a change.

So you're saying you want to play the exact same game for the rest of your life? MCC should keep you busy.

People become fans of a franchise due to specific gameplay features. If MS wants to experiment then fucking come up with a different franchise. Paying millions to Bungie to buy the franchise only to immediately squander the gameplay that made the franchise popular, then not listening to complaints and doing it again. I can't even...

???

I'm sorry, but do you think that because 5% of the playerbase of the Halo series doesn't like sprint or ads, that means 343 should cater their games to those 5%? Tens of millions of people play Halo, not just the gamers with NeoGAF accounts. Your opinion is not more valid than anyone elses.

All you need to do is look at Halo 4s population to know that CODifying Halo doesn't work.

wwm0nkey

Halo 4 population dropped like a fucking rock for a reason. But okay let's talk about this 5% bullshit.

Teknoman

I'm yet to see valid reasoning for this other than i) "I don't like it", or ii) "it's not Halo".

The vast majority of games that have ADS: You cant hit anything within a certain distance without aiming down the sights, even if they are relatively close, unless its a shotgun.

Also it usually slows down your movement rate alot, making most firefights "stand and shoots".

MYeager

These comments from people saying adding ADS into the game is awesome is mind blowing to me.....

You're basically saying your excited that Halo will no longer be Halo. Why the hell does EVERY modern AAA shooter have to be COD? All I know is then I played MCC 2 months ago it was like a fresh breath of air. Something actually different.

That's my biggest problem. I'm not a fan of Call of Duty's multiplayer. I know it's popular and I understand that 343 wants to capitalize on that, however I don't need every FPS arena shooter to feel the same because I like having alternate options in the field to play. I don't mind if they want to change things up and try to evolve the game, but it doesn't feel like they're doing that as much as they're just trying to copy the success of a different game. I loved it when Halo had it's own identity and space in the market, not when it was just trying to play catch up.

Euron

ADS? CoD Sprint? They've learned absolutely nothing. I shit you not I might actually decide not to buy an Xbone if this is what Halo is turning into. I REALLY want to play remastered Halo 2 and the best versions of the Halo trilogy online but I just cannot buy another disappointing Halo game. Halo 4 was too much, if 343 wants to continue in that direction, I want no part of it.

That's gaming these days.

Massive over reaction, massive hype, massive everything to anything.

I think it's so much worse this gen. It's really annoying at this point and I'm not sure who it's coming from anymore. Sometimes it's veterans of gaming acting like the new comers who act like they've been gaming for years to even have these over reactions. It's getting so stupid really.

BigDug13

Consider this. Arena FPS is a dead genre. Appealing to fans of a dead genre means you get ALL the sales of fans of that genre. Making your game the same as all the others means you're entering a crowded genre. MCC is appealing to arena shooter fans better than 343 developed Halo games. There's a whole crew of gamers waiting to give the next arena FPS game all their money.

Why Is Star Citizen breaking all the funding records? Fans of the genre have been starving.

Fans of arena FPS gaming have been starving. This move is stupid.

DNAbro

343 just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Halo fan culture (I'm an expert), but no sprinting and lack of ADS are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in CoD where you can become successful by being a camper. If you camp in Halo, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the xbox public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Halo 5 for xbox one, nor will they purchase the Master Chief Collection. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but 343 has alienated an entire market with this move.

343, publicly apologize and cancel sprinting and ADS for Halo 5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

You're right.

Every game should play like Call of Duty.

It really feels like the "fuck you, got mine" attitude is strong among the supporters of these changes. Because you can be sure that if something they really liked was gutted in favour of copying a popular product they would be protesting it just as strongly as the majority of people in this thread have.

Empathy is good to have, even if you don't care about what's being discussed.

Top Bottom