• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

This is the most confusing thread I've ever read. When the player 'scopes' in you can see the gun and iron sights. Yet people are saying the speed in which it takes to scope in determines if it's ADS or not... Huh?

Yeah no one seems to have a consensus on what ADS is. Pistol, BR, Sniper Rifle, Rocket, all had a scoping mechanism but apparently it changes everything when you can see the gun while doing it even though it appears to still be instant when scoping like before

WAIT where the hell is this 10% coming from?

ace-ventura-ass-talkin-o.gif

Pretty much.

I'm pretty neutral on this issue, but are you suggesting that ADS is their own thing? o_O

Apparently its just the zoom in from past games disguised as ADS? Either way, I want them to make their own game. If you want them to make pure Halo 2 multiplayer, they've got you covered on Tuesday. I'm not gonna throw them under the bus until I play the game.

Well, if what Shinobi says is correct -- and I am inclined to believe him -- then damn. I could understand a split like with the Arbiter and Chief, and Halo 2 even had some cut levels (which I believe were MC based). However, if it's 90% Locke and 10% MC.. I won't understand. I want MC and potentially blue team with a little bit of Locke on the side, but don't just try to dump Locke on us.. Palmer already made me wary enough of other spartans.

Hey everyone here's an idea. halo 5 comes out one year after the beta. If everyone absolutely hates the supposed ads we need to make our voices heard. Maybe 343 is trying this out a year early just to see how people like it. If they don't, theyll probably have time to change it.

Hey everyone here's a better idea. Why not wait until we've played the Beta and can see if you need ADS, or it's just a thing that they've added? Ditto sprinting? Or, let's wait and see if it's even in the Beta at all, and not just a thing they're testing in some Alpha? Or just wait and see if it isn't actually really really good?

Justrekt

Neo Member
People don't care about me so no-one
If you need me to I can dig my way through the Destiny Beta threads to show how he knew ahead of time that Bungie was going to make the Beta a little longer

I'm not doubting him, I'm willing to put my faith into him, but come on, I pretty much assumed that was going to happen myself.

Raide

What if they changed the core mechanics of Mario and said, "We need to change this formula to appeal more to a newer audience, but we have all the previous Mario games available for the old Mario fans."

WTF! Double spin jump??? What is this crazy shit, this ain't Mario.
WTF? Pulling up turnips for Keys? What the hell?
3D with Triple jumps? GTFO Nintendo.
Cat Suits? Shit just ain't canon! Won't someone think about the lore!!

I aint even mad. For the people that just want them to make Halo 2 over and over until the end of time they're putting out the MCC on Tuesday. I want them to do their own thing.

This is a great post. It's the classic too same/too different comments. Stuff changes, wait to try it first. Sprinting isn't even a problem, from the first teaser it's obviously in. So is a ground pound or tackle or some sort. Maybe even slides and cover! H2 lovers can stay in H2, while I and all the others play H5. They can't lose, neither can the fans. We're getting everything we could possibly get.

Also, should hip fire have no penalty, then always using A.D.S isn't going to help you against who isn't and can still aim (like say, a H2 experienced player) because you'll be all zoomed in while the other player has a wider view and much easier movement. Especially if A.D.S doesn't allow the movement of the aiming player, then they will have lots of trouble aiming.

I love this, so much.

Guerrilla

I have played every Halo except H4.

The shown footage is clearly different from the zooming mechanic that the BR, pistol or sniper rifle had in previous Halo games. I hope for HaloGAF's sake that you're right.

how is it different? It seems like you click and it zooms, now you just see the weapon and not just a black circle, there is no indication whatsoever that it makes the shot more accurate, or that you are slowed down. Or am I missing something?

What if they changed the core mechanics of Mario and said, "We need to change this formula to appeal more to a newer audience, but we have all the previous Mario games available for the old Mario fans."

Well I mean, they change the core mechanics in Mario all the time.

Yup, over 100 levels and forge... there's plenty there

if ads is true then this could be the a serious cod alternative if they play their cards right... Longer time to kill will automatically make it a more skillful shooter and could hit home with the mlg crowds

Completely agreed.

ryan299

I think we have another Halo 2 on our hands in a sense. I think this game is going to be universally hated in the beta that 343 is going to have to scrap a lot and redesign this game in less than a year like Bungie did with 2.

Those are added features. This is altered core mechanics.

This is not like adding powerups. This is like if they replaced the physics with LBP physics.

If you can't see the difference between those types of changes and what is happening here you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the problem.

That looked like a br scope zoom, but fancier in terms of presentation. As long as movement doesn't change I have no problem with this.

honestly it would have been better to find this out on Nov 10. A even better option would be if 343 warned us early that they are testing a new zoom mechanic.

BigDug13

This is a great post. It's the classic too same/too different comments. Stuff changes, wait to try it first. Sprinting isn't even a problem, from the first teaser it's obviously in. So is a ground pound or tackle or some sort. Maybe even slides and cover! H2 lovers can stay in H2, while I and all the others play H5. They can't lose, neither can the fans. We're getting everything we could possibly get.

Also, should hip fire have no penalty, then always using A.D.S isn't going to help you against who isn't and can still aim (like say, a H2 experienced player) because you'll be all zoomed in while the other player has a wider view and much easier movement. Especially if A.D.S doesn't allow the movement of the aiming player, then they will have lots of trouble aiming.

I'm still trying to figure out how copying Infinity Ward gameplay is "doing your own thing". 343 isn't experimenting. They're copying.

1. The 10% thing about Master Chief comes from Shinobi's reference to MGS2 and Snake/Raiden. What the reference means is that you will play as Snake(Master Chief) for only a very short portion of the game and then play as Raiden(Locke) for the rest of it.
The 10/90% is a rough estimate of the difference between Snake/Raiden gameplay respectively in MGS2. Therefore, 10% of game is Master Chief. While this number is not guaranteed, don't expect much.
2. ADS and Scopes. Alright. Big points: Halo DOES NOT HAVE ADS. Halo has IRONSIGHTS.
ADS(Aim Down Sights): Provides better accuracy, slows down movement to a crawl
Ironsights: Provides better accuracy but doesn't mess with movement speed
Shinobi hasn't mentioned any percentages, he only said it's similar to MGS2.
I have made this post to help clarify

Anth0ny

If you want smash bros melee, you have smash bros melee.

And this is what happened. The Smash community collectively said "fuck Brawl" and played Melee, even 10+ years after release. 2014 was Melee's biggest year yet.

The Halo community should do the same with CE, or 2, or 3. Play the game you love. Don't just play the new one because it's new if the game itself is shit. SHOW them there's more money to be made by making a real ass Halo game than a shitty COD clone.

I thought the response the Halo 4 was that, but I guess not.

patapuf

Sprint's been in since Reach (granted as a "Armor Ability" to where you would LOSE it if it wasn't equipped). So I dunno outside of "purism" on that one being a big deal.

ADS not being scope only is (IMO) a good change in regards to consistency. I understand the outrage and OMG THAT'S NOT HALO since it hasn't been in the series (unless you count "scoping in" for the Battle-Rifle/Sniper) but would help some newer players in regards to having "consistency" with all weapons.

I dunno. Until I actually play it
If ever. Come on 343 and do PC ports already
I'll hold off on screaming bloody murder over it. I'll admit the "Killstreak" design they added to Call of Halo 4 was a bad decision, meanwhile. But both of these aren't really Killstreaks. So long as the "Sandbox" is still mostly there, I don't see a major issue.

See you don't actually want that because having weapons that actually feel different is a good thing. All weapons feeling similar shooting wise is horribly boring and halo's approach of having fewer, but actually different guns is a strong opint.

Not having ironsights mechanics requires the player to be able to move and shoot at the same time. While slower than something like quake it's what makes Halo a good arena shooter (smiliarily, always being able to run at max speed AND shoot is important).

Among big FPS franchises on consoles, this made Halo unique. Sprint and ironsights will significantly change gameflow. If the sharp decline in Halo 4's MP community is any indication making Halo more like other shooters will hurt it and it won't introduce a new casual playerbase. They'll just play COD and BF.

Grief.exe

Asked around, things can change but, assault rifle got dat ADS too, "pretty much" all the weapons. They're going for that e-sports scene very hard.

Welp.

Why would ADS benefit the e-sports scene? The game would have a far higher skill ceiling without the crutch.

The point is moot, e-sports participation doesn't develop unless the game has popularity. Look at Halo 4, that game was essentially DOA as far as concurrent players and an e-sports scene never developed.

343/Microsoft are just actively targeting the lowest common denominator demographic and ditching the hardcore that left them during Halo 4.

Seventy70

Well I mean, they change the core mechanics in Mario all the time.

I think those are perfect examples of how to improve a good series without hurting what made it special in the first place. A better comparison would be if Nintendo announced that the next Mario would be f2p on mobile just to compete for the younger modern audience.

Booshka

Hey everyone here's an idea. halo 5 comes out one year after the beta. If everyone absolutely hates the supposed ads we need to make our voices heard. Maybe 343 is trying this out a year early just to see how people like it. If they don't, theyll probably have time to change it.

If 343 need a beta to find out that Sprint and ADS are bad for Halo then I don't even want to bother focus testing their terrible "Halo" game.

I really wish the Halo franchise would have just ended with Reach, instead of Microsoft keeping it alive and then killing it by turning it into other games.

Well, if what Shinobi says is correct -- and I am inclined to believe him -- then damn. I could understand a split like with the Arbiter and Chief, and Halo 2 even had some cut levels (which I believe were MC based). However, if it's 90% Locke and 10% MC.. I won't understand. I want MC and potentially blue team with a little bit of Locke on the side, but don't just try to dump Locke on us.. Palmer already made me wary enough of other spartans.

he never gave a %. Also this was debunked some time ago.

Trey

Yeah no one seems to have a consensus on what ADS is. Pistol, BR, Sniper Rifle, Rocket, all had a scoping mechanism but apparently it changes everything when you can see the gun while doing it even though it appears to still be instant when scoping like before

You can throw grenades while scoped, you can jump, you lose no movement speed while scoped.

None of that is true about ADS. They are completely different entities.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It will be quite humorous when MCC has a higher player population a month or two after Halo 5 releases.

If it does. I'm still not entirely convinced you can blame ALL of the Halo 4 population drop on Halo's changes.

It'll be amusing if Halo MCC's population drops like a rock too, might prove that Halo just isn't as big and there are too many games competing for gamers' time.

as much as this displeases me, I'll hold my rage till the beta in December.

till then for everyone's mental health I suggest we take that clip with a brick of salt till more information arises.

mean the OP doesn't even have a source for that clip.

Lol, please for the last time I never said you play as Chief for 10% of the game, I don't know how long you play as him. It was just described to me similarly to the ratio you'd find in MGS2 for example.

I won't stoke anything more, I love Halo like many others here. To re-clarify and just finish what I said, this person told me they want to get into the e-sports scene a lot with H5, or that it's a big goal. Small style arenas are a focal point. I asked if ADS was on all guns, replied "pretty much".

I don't know if it's purely cosmetic or what, but I asked just now to further clarify if it's even on things like the plasma rifle/pistol, etc. Said that ADS (again don't know if it's just cosmetic or something) was a big focus in development, now says it may just be limited to a few weapons, but that it'd be a strange thing to focus heavily on if it's limited. Assault rifle does have it though. He also reiterated that all the negative reaction might change things, Microsoft's playing it very safe and there's still 'plenty of time'.

Anyway, I don't like being vague so I hope that helps a little? Probably would have been better to wait until seeing it in action before saying anything.

Um, didn't Frankie flat out say the Locke thing was false the last time that rumor went around, and that Chief levels are indeed the majority of the game?

Top Bottom