• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

Wurdfurd

CAN WE PLEASE WAITING UNTIL TOMORROW BEFORE WE SEND 343 DEVS TO THEIR EXECUTION?
wSvoup5.gif

Raide

Atleast that stuff is unique. A better comparison would be if Nintendo announced that the next Mario would be f2p on mobile just to compete for the younger modern audience.

With their QOL plans, who knows what is next! They will amiibo the shit out of everything going forward though.

WTF! Double spin jump??? What is this crazy shit, this ain't Mario.
WTF? Pulling up turnips for Keys? What the hell?
3D with Triple jumps? GTFO Nintendo.
Cat Suits? Shit just ain't canon! Won't someone think about the lore!!

Key difference: adding those mechanics doesn't make Mario like every other platformer, nor does it damage the core gameplay loop of Mario. This is because Mario is the undisputed leader of the platformer genre, as diminished as it is. ADS and sprinting make Halo like every other shooter on the planet. Halo used to lead the console FPS genre; now it's a pathetic also-ran, desperately trying to stay relevant by becoming like everything else, to the detriment of its biggest fans.

kuYuri

Yes, the game already is fairly slow, which is great for a controller game. It still holds onto movement and map control, two things utterly lost in the CoD style of shooter.

Now, you bring up CoD and Titanfall, which in their latest iterations have relatively fast movement. But you still need ADS to hit anything, and that means you stop cold to take a shot. Also, sprinting basically disarms you. These features provide windows for even the scrubbiest of scrubs to pick you off while you're defenseless. That's part of the point. Nobody is supposed to feel utterly powerless the way you can in Quake or even a slower game like Counter-Strike.

Halo, slow as it is compared to Tribes or Q3, etc., still leans more heavily on players having opportunities to control maps and move/shoot in ways that they can completely dominate a map.

A large part of Titanfall is about movement, wall running, momentum, etc. Movement has played a small part in CoD, but is still arguably there. With Advanced Warfare and it's exo mechanics, it's become even more prevalent arguably. Those are still in their infancy though, so it's hard to discuss it much more at the moment. I see sprinting as something that's just as risk/reward as reloading mid fight.

I always feel like map control is pretty much a part of every shooter in some fashion except for maybe games with large open maps like Battlefield and Planetside.

Godslay

Banned
Those are added features. This is altered core mechanics.

This is not like adding powerups. This is like if they replaced the physics with LBP physics.

If you can't see the difference between those types of changes and what is happening here you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the problem.

Jumping in Mario is a core mechanic.

As are the suits, especially with the way they are used in the current games.

I'd like to see what a Halo fan's idea is for Halo 5. Like what is your wishlist? The game is dated. It has dated gameplay. Why would I want to play H2 with slicker graphics? (other than MCC)

Maybe there are things I'm not thinking of but I'd like to see one of the people who hate ADS and sprint tell me what WOULD make the game less ... 2004.

crazyprac

Lol, please for the last time I never said you play as Chief for 10% of the game, I don't know how long you play as him. It was just described to me similarly to the ratio you'd find in MGS2 for example.

I won't stoke anything more, I love Halo like many others here. To re-clarify and just finish what I said, this person told me they want to get into the e-sports scene a lot with H5, or that it's a big goal. Small style arenas are a focal point. I asked if ADS was on all guns, replied "pretty much".

I don't know if it's purely cosmetic or what, but I asked just now to further clarify if it's even on things like the plasma rifle/pistol, etc. Said that ADS (again don't know if it's just cosmetic or something) was a big focus in development, now says it may just be limited to a few weapons, but that it'd be a strange thing to focus heavily on if it's limited. Assault rifle does have it though. He also reiterated that all the negative reaction might change things, Microsoft's playing it very safe and there's still 'plenty of time'.

Anyway, I don't like being vague so I hope that helps a little? Probably would have been better to wait until seeing it in action before saying anything.

So basically he's backtracking because of all the negative reactions? Lmao this going to be amazing :grabs popcorn:

Not defending 343 but the ADS looks cosmetic only. If the BR isn't a 4sk or I guess 5sk based of Halo 4 then they messed up. If I am not able to strafe like I want to in this view then they messed up. If I am not able to do everything I've been able to to in Halo 1-3 because of this view then they messed up.

Well we have a beta to try out. We will find out for ourselves then plus we get a sneak peek at it on the Nov 10.
Not cosmetic man, you can see its ads straight from cod.

It makes my head hurt, they can't throw this at us, pls no

BigDug13

I'd like to see what a Halo fans idea is for Halo 5. Like what is your wishlist? The game is dated. It has dated gameplay. Why would I want to play H2 with slicker graphics?

Maybe there are things I'm not thinking of but I'd like to see one of the people who hate ADS and sprint tell me what WOULD make the game less ... 2004.

Explain to me what is dated about its gameplay? Why are people so excited to play MCC and why has it gotten such glowing reviews if it is "dated gameplay"? All gameplay that isn't CoD clone isn't necessarily "dated". It can't be ALL nostalgia. There weren't that many OG Xbox owners.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, please for the last time I never said you play as Chief for 10% of the game, I don't know how long you play as him. It was just described to me similarly to the ratio you'd find in MGS2 for example.

I won't stoke anything more, I love Halo like many others here. To re-clarify and just finish what I said, this person told me they want to get into the e-sports scene a lot with H5, or that it's a big goal. Small style arenas are a focal point. I asked if ADS was on all guns, replied "pretty much".

I don't know if it's purely cosmetic or what, but I asked just now to further clarify if it's even on things like the plasma rifle/pistol, etc. Said that ADS (again don't know if it's just cosmetic or something) was a big focus in development, now says it may just be limited to a few weapons, but that it'd be a strange thing to focus heavily on if it's limited. Assault rifle does have it though. He also reiterated that all the negative reaction might change things, Microsoft's playing it very safe and there's still 'plenty of time'.

Anyway, I don't like being vague so I hope that helps a little? Probably would have been better to wait until seeing it in action before saying anything.

quote in the hope that more people read it.

Raide

Key difference: adding those mechanics doesn't make Mario like every other platformer, nor does it damage the core gameplay loop of Mario. This is because Mario is the undisputed leader of the platformer genre, as diminished as it is. ADS and sprinting make Halo like every other shooter on the planet. Halo used to lead the console FPS genre; now it's a pathetic also-ran, desperately trying to stay relevant by becoming like everything else, to the detriment of its biggest fans.

Mario has no real competitors. They can do anything and it will be perfect. They can rehash old games over and over with cosmetic tweaks and it will sell. Halo does not have that kind of luxury.

CAN WE PLEASE WAITING UNTIL TOMORROW BEFORE WE SEND 343 DEVS TO THEIR EXECUTION?

Nobody's sentencing 343 to death. It's just... this is incredibly discouraging, and people are upset. It's basically been the worst nightmare of the Halo fandom coming to life, something everybody joked about but nobody thought they'd actually do. People are going to be upset. Maybe it turns out to be nothing, and that'd be great, but until then...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'd like to see what a Halo fans idea is for Halo 5. Like what is your wishlist? The game is dated. It has dated gameplay. Why would I want to play H2 with slicker graphics?

there is nothing dated about Halo 2 except for its graphics. It's mechanics are timeless.

You don't fuck with chess because monopoly came out. nah now you buy squares and have to maintain an economy.

If 343 need a beta to find out that Sprint and ADS are bad for Halo then I don't even want to bother focus testing their terrible "Halo" game.

I really wish the Halo franchise would have just ended with Reach, instead of Microsoft keeping it alive and then killing it by turning it into other games.

ADS looks cosmetic and just a new way to show off zoom. It doesn't look to slow down the game at all with a closer look at it.

Mr Lakitu

Banned
Why would ADS benefit the e-sports scene? The game would have a far higher skill ceiling without the crutch.

The point is moot, e-sports participation doesn't develop unless the game has popularity. Look at Halo 4, that game was essentially DOA as far as concurrent players and an e-sports scene never developed.

343/Microsoft are just actively targeting the lowest common denominator demographic and ditching the hardcore that left them during Halo 4.

E-sports scene like ads

It really is simple as that

Seventy70

Explain to me what is dated about its gameplay? Why are people so excited to play MCC and why has it gotten such glowing reviews if it is "dated gameplay"? All gameplay that isn't CoD clone isn't necessarily "dated".

It has to EVOLVE, man, it has to EVOLVE!!!!

3bdelilah

Banned
As someone who is not a really big Halo fan, why is ADS a big deal to a lot of you? Is there something fundamentally wrong with it, or does it just not "feel" like Halo? I'm all for ADS personally, I don't know, shooting just feels better that way in my opinion.

viveks86

Apparently its just the zoom in from past games disguised as ADS?

There's no basis to assume that. The opposite is an assumption too, since we haven't seen much. But if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, guess which is the safer assumption.

Having said that, I agree that 343 doesn't deserve to be thrown under the bus until there's substantial evidence. Some of the reactions in here are premature, even if the concern is valid

The only thing tastier than the footage is the impotent rage.

Seriously. I'd suggest tempering your overreactions.
The footage was only the beginning, and I think by now is not the main topic of discussion
The thing we're all up in arms about I think is how according to Shinobi(who, I've heard/believe, is a reliable source) ADS is on all the guns/ADS is being majorly focused on for H5.

L4nnist3r

This should be added to the OP also

As a Halo CE diehard, I find the rage regarding Halo's "watering down" by introducing COD elements hella funny.
It's sad to see the Halo "dying" for the Halo 2 and Halo 3 fans with Halo 5, especially when we saw what happened to Halo when Halo 2 released in 2004. Things have never been the same for us since then and this is something 343 isn't realizing for the thousands, if not millions of H2 and H3 fans jumping back on board.
And this is what happened. The Smash community collectively said "fuck Brawl" and played Melee, even 10+ years after release. 2014 was Melee's biggest year yet.

The Halo community should do the same with CE, or 2, or 3. Play the game you love. Don't just play the new one because it's new if the game itself is shit. SHOW them there's more money to be made by making a real ass Halo game than a shitty COD clone.

I thought the response the Halo 4 was that, but I guess not.
Made a comparison I think you may enjoy ;]
It really is funny how similar the Halo franchise is with Smash:

• 64 = Halo CE --- Great combination of simplicity, accessibility and depth for competitive play.
  • Melee = Halo 2 --- They were both saved by button combos, glitches, advanced tech, etc.
  • Brawl = Halo 3&4 --- Convoluted with nerfed gameplay.
  • Smash 4 = H2A --- Alright, but has more potential that's not being realized.

patapuf

Mario is also an SP series and Halo not having ADS makes it stand out. Adding it just makes it more similar to the most used shooting mechanic right now.

Why is no one making the point that this is a battle rifle. It traditionally has a scope, but in this instance it has a red dot instead, possibly different variants depending on map size where a lower zoom or more open sights would be advantageous, or perhaps they made the BR with a red dot this time and it will serve a different purpose than the precision rifle. Sprint was in Halo 4, so I'm not so surprised.

People are over blowing this like crazy. We get a beta a year in advance to give the feedback. If it doesn't feel right when you actually get to play it, then complain then. We know so little about the multiplayer even with this clip.

Anyway, I don't like being vague so I hope that helps a little?
Shinobi, while the supposed ADS may only be a cosmetic change, calling it ADS causes people to assume that it means scoping time, inaccurate hip fire, and limited movement while scoped. I highly doubt the latter is actually part of the game.

Archpath1

Hmm so if any game does ADS they are automatically copying cod? Cause that's what it sounds like in here

C'mon there's only so many ways of shooting, while they don't have to mess with the shooting; they are ,it could be good?

In the end if the game plays well, maps are great doesl it matter

trixx

And this is what happened. The Smash community collectively said "fuck Brawl" and played Melee, even 10+ years after release. 2014 was Melee's biggest year yet.

The Halo community should do the same with CE, or 2, or 3. Play the game you love. Don't just play the new one because it's new if the game itself is shit. SHOW them there's more money to be made by making a real ass Halo game than a shitty COD clone.

I thought the response the Halo 4 was that, but I guess not.

100% in fact i prefer melee to the other games by far, but i don't expect the new game to play like melee. Like it or not smash community is the minority, nintendo is trying to sell the game to people outside of the community as well

I'm fine with all of this.

Sprint was a welcome addition to Halo 4, and certain weapons in the series have always had scopes to zoom in to fire accurately. I'm more concerned with other aspects of the game like even starts, respawn timing and whether personal ordnance is coming back, and other changes along those lines. People can howl all day about how many CODisms made thier way into Halo 4 - and they'd be right - but even then Halo 4 never actually played like COD at all.

And if 343 is to continue to develop the wider universe behind Halo than they need to move beyond centering all critical events around the Chief. Some of this groundwork has already been done, but having the Chief pass the torch would be a positive and I hope that's what happens.

So yeah, judgment withheld. There's a beta to check out to see this stuff in action and see how its currently fine tuned. Am sure there will be plenty of ears and eyes devouring feedback once that hits.

If it's 60% Locke 40% chief I'll be fine

I don't approve of ads but I'll wait till the beta to judge it

I'll still be gettin this regardless for the campaign

The most vocal Halo fans just want Halo 2 rereleased every three years with updated graphics. That said, I've never been a huge fan of ADS myself, though I'm okay with sprint. At the end of the day though, there's a hell of a lot more than those two features separating Halo and CoD, so when people talking about them "completely ruining Halo" and turning it into a "CoD clone" it's a bit ridiculous.

Top Bottom