• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

Sirim

Looking at it positively.

There is ADS but you can play just like old Halo with skill not using ADS, downside being some team mates are rooted or slow when shooting through ADS and that Halo flow doesn't always happen. 343 want both sets of players and both are catered to. It might work.
What is your source for this info?

ultron87

Threw this together

*chart*

Hopefully it makes sense now why this is either a bad change or a completely pointless one.

The only thing on this chart that we know is true about Halo 5 is the fact that the weapon is visible.

Edit: There is even specific visual evidence that there is no accuracy penalty when you look at the reticule.

Noobcraft

Threw this together

djoSSlj.jpg

Hopefully it makes sense now why this is either a bad change or a completely pointless one.
It is possible to have ADS with all the stuff on the left (minus visible weapon, that's better anyways)

Peterpan

I hate when people act like 343 is it's own company.

So you think Microsoft is pushing ADS. What would make you think they would want to change anything, if Halo is selling well, why change anything. I'm more inclined to believe they would take less risks honestly. I think they have a say, but I doubt they there stating put ADS in Halo.

LycanXIII

Again you are jumping to conclusions. You say you can't sprint and shoot at the same time? I can do just that in Titanfall with the run and gun kit. By having sprint, you have more gradation in movement speed, and the only difference in Titanfall is that your gun goes down when not shooting.

And there's actually a perk in Advanced Warfare that lets you shoot while sprinting.

Compsiox

Banned
So you think Microsoft is pushing ADS. What would make you think they would want to change anything, if Halo is selling well, why change anything. I'm more inclined to believe they would take less risks honestly. I think they have a say, but I doubt they there stating put ADS in Halo.

Call of Duty

Booshka

Looking at it positively.

There is ADS but you can play just like old Halo with skill not using ADS, downside being some team mates are rooted or slow when shooting through ADS and that Halo flow doesn't always happen. 343 want both sets of players and both are catered to. It might work.

It won't work, Halo flow is impossible with ADS. If you want to slow down and shoot because you can't move and shoot at the same time, play another franchise. Make a Halo game, and let your skill based Matchmaking cater to lesser skilled players by putting them in games with other lesser skilled players. Don't fundamentally change your game to cater to them, they can learn the game and get better like every other Halo fan did, or stop playing the game.

everyone wants the core gameplay to remain the same. I don't like sprint but I can accept that. If ADS is like COD/Battlefield then the game is no longer Halo. Halo makes you feel like a super soldier an Army of one. I should not be limited by things. If my movement changes from being in this view they killed the essence of what Halo is.

Well whats your definition of core gameplay? I always thought it was the trinity? Which has remained essentially the same. Secondly games NEED to evolve. Just like any other industry. You cannot stay stale. You have to innovate. Halo needs to be innovative. H1 and H2 were very innovative. They introduced a lot of new concepts or just did it better than everyone else.

What you guys are looking for is that feeling of innovation. 343 for better or worse are trying to find that again. Going back to the innovative solutions that H2 and H1 provided isn't the answer. This is 2014. Halo needs to solve shooter stagnation for 2014. You cant be innovative in this industry by doing THE SAME THING. If Halo did the SAME thing we wouldn't have had H1 or H2.

Like I said the answer may not be mechanics that are familiar to COD it's definitely NOT what you guys think. If you want to play those games play MCC.

def sim

Canononically, i'd say that for Spartans, the top one makes the most sense. Its a camera feed which links up to your HUD and zooms in. Feel free to add in ADS if we're not playing as Spartans or ODSTs with a HUD system, because those soldiers would need to use the scope. For people with the high tech suits of armour, lets leave the zooming to the camera feed.

Agreed. It's a cool story explanation for full screen zoom and it's too bad it'll likely be written off in Halo 5.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Why would I buy Halo 5 then? We get Halo MCC and Halo 2 in 1080p@60fps (MP).
No reason to buy Halo 5 when its the exact same mechanics as Halo 2.
How boring.

Thee is more meaningful ways that you can modify the game to freshen it up without destroying every aspect of the core mechanics.

Like i said in previous threads, AA and powerups can be rolled together into oddball skulls. You get the ability but you forfeit your weapon. Plays into previous games, freshens things up, doesn't make it OP and it rolls into map control.

You can make the environment more dynamic. You can add new weaponry to correct balance. You can alter game modes to make them more interesting.

Halo has gone from a very complex objective based game in Halo 2 with very engaging gunfights and evade tactics to basic objectives with sprint and shooting someone down at the end of your barrel.

Instead of thinking outside of the box they are just saying "fuck it, let's make a new box"

Vire

WHY ZOOM IS DIFFERENT THAN AIM DOWN SIGHTS:

ADS is a fundamentally different mechanic and it's worth explaining in here since people don't seem to understand.

Zoom:

1. Does not change movement speed (decrease speed) of the character

2. Does not add any additions stat bonuses to the accuracy of the shot

3. Obscures peripheral vision and gives reason to switch to hip fire shots

4. Players can become "de-scoped" when shot

Aim Down Sights:

1. Changes the movement speed of the player (decreases when aiming)

2. Adds additional stat bonuses to the accuracy of the shot

3. Does not obscure peripheral vision

4. Players do not lose their scope when hit

If you cut out the energy sword part of that clip and told me it was Advanced Warfare gameplay, I would believe you. The jerky sprint animations are the same.

Noobcraft

Yes it is, but it breaks cannon and still obstructs the player's vision.

Pointless if you ask me.
If canon had the gun vanishing despite the scope placed near the butt of the gun then Canon was broken anyways. It never made sense to me and at least this way is more realistic.

Plus the reticle stays the same between the RDS and the hipfire in the video so there's nothing suggesting they changed anything but the aesthetics.

Grexeno

Then why even bother saying that if you have no creative control of the game, doesn't really add up.
Because they do in fact WANT to make good Halo, and so they say so. But in the end Microsoft's objective is clear: make Halo into CoD in the hopes that it will become as big as CoD, only exclusive to Microsoft platforms. And they can simply fire people until Halo is CoD.

Great-God

Banned
Threw this together

djoSSlj.jpg

We can't tell all that from a six second video, can we?
Kids nowadays have grown up with ADS, so as a cosmetic change it makes sense. Hell, I showed Goldeneye to my cousin and he was by its "bizarre zoom". Kid's damn smart, he ended up loving it.

I don't know how you got all of that information out of that clip.

The left is how Halo works. The right is how ADS works in most games.

If anything on the right is changed for the inclusion of ADS in Halo 5, then it loses its reason for existing in the first place when the left side does what ADS does better in Halo.

Detective

So what have 343i added to Halo since the take over?

1- hitmarks
2-kill streak
3-ADS now
4- unlimited sprint
5- showing MC face
6-feelings and wanted so long to do this
7-worst Halo mp in the franchise accompanied by Reach(Bungie)

Am seriously gonna freak out soon.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Thats not really evolving gameplay and most of your features are shallow. New grenade types? That's every Halo. Fast arena style movement? Ok. Still a bit generic and doesn't really evolve gamplay. Fast paced gunplay? Halo already has that and has had that for awhile. Perks are ancillary.

Im starting to think you guys don't know what you want. You just are fear mongering against anything that looks slightly similar to COD or BF

No, what most of us would like is for 343i to keep Halo's core combat loop intact and find other ways to innovate and keep the series fresh.

You're riding in here on the high road wanting to know what we think those innovations should be. That's 343's fucking job, not ours. Wow us. Innovate. Show us something that isn't a copy/paste job from mainstream military shooters. Show us something that makes sense within Halo's combat loop and sandbox.

We covered all of this at H4's launch and after its subsequent crash and burn. Now, apparently, here we are again...

Godslay

Banned
Kids nowadays have grown up with ADS, so as a cosmetic change it makes sense. Hell, I showed Goldeneye to my cousin and he was by its "bizarre zoom". Kid's damn smart, he ended up loving it.

It's a pretty big extrapolation considering no one here has played it. I'll wait and see how it turns out.

The Beard

What did you do before ADS ? I seriously don't get it. How did you aim before ? Was it all just hip firing before ?

I've only played a little bit of Halo and I seriously don't understand the outrage.

This is nothing more than desperation to reel in CoD fans. It's been illustrated why ADS don't work in Halo, this isn't a twitch shooter, the kill times are longer and with jumping, strafing and Halo's overall movement a player is just going to move out of your LOS and render ADS pointless/impairing. The only way to alleviate this would be vastly altering Halo to play more like a twitch shooter. Do we really want to see more stagnation in this genre, Remember that picture of CoD Battlefield and Killzone side by side and it's basically identical? That's no less a problem today since that was created. Halo actually felt unique among the sea of LT+RT game play that the FPS genre has been limited to, now it's going to lose it's identity.

I'll gladly stick with the MCC if this remains the case, hopefully 343 will get feedback that we don't want ADS in Halo and it'll be changed. That's what an actual beta next month is for after all.

Man, I can't believe there's a 22 page thread the day before the beta releases, with the collective notion of "god damnit 343 you fucked up Halo again"

How do you fuck this up so badly AGAIN after months(years) of fucking up and saying "trust us, we know what we're doing"

Into

Why emulate a series that is in decline sales wise? I can (sorta) understand doing it during prime of CoD popularity.

The classic Halo games are wonderful, and in my opinion better games than any CoD. But my insignificant opinion aside. I still dont get why they are following the rest of the herd, when they can be something slightly unique in a already crowded genre.

Wollveren

Banned
Threw this together

djoSSlj.jpg

Umm... Did you make this? If so, I cannot help but get the feeling you've completely MISSED the possibility that this ADS is nothing but a redesign of the classic scope... I've watched the clip probably 50 times +, and noticed no movement speed reduction when the person looks through the scope, and although its just a second of hip fire shooting we get to see, the recoil from the hip and the scope seem to be exactly the same.

No I could be wrong, its just from observation, and the quality of the clip and duration doesn't make it any easier, but yes your list is correct. But adding that little scope picture from the clip, under the ADS list makes it seem that everything you listed is true in the clip, which is not the case (well from what I've observed).

Exactly. What's being described in that image is COD ADS. Not Halo ADS. He doesnt have any idea what Halo ADS is.

ADS can be done a multitude of ways. Just because its been done the same over and over doesn't mean 343 arent approaching it differently.

Top Bottom