• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

If this is true... I am probably not going to buy Halo 5. Eff off if I cannot play as MC majority of time.

Halo = Masterchief

Do not fuck with that formula. TIA

Funny that you mention that, my favorite Halo game doesn't feature MC at all, Halo universe can work pretty well focusing on different characters.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm cool with Locke being the focus of Halo 5. I love the Chief, but there's room for other characters to be introduced.

+ According to shinobi, you only play as Master Chief for 10% of the game.
I didn't say "10%" anywhere man, just that you mostly play as Locke. I asked how much do we play as Locke vs Chief, he said along the lines of MGS2 (less Chief, more Locke).

As for the iron sights on other weapons, I'm trying to ask another person I know who's played the beta already. Hopefully he replies back soon.

Pit

Sprint will most likely be/is one of the 'spartan abilities' we've heard about. Lets be level headed about this. Sprint could be implemented in a way that doesn't mess with the sandbox, much like this new 'ADS' which to me looks like they redesigned the zoom on the BR. This is the only one we have seen with 'ADS'. Keep your helmets on spartans, wait for the reveal.

Vidpixel

I didn't say "10%" anywhere man, just that you mostly play as Locke. I asked how much do we play as Locke vs Chief, he said along the lines of MGS2 (less Chief, more Locke).

Hmm, not sure how I feel about this. As relatively generic Master Chief is..... he is the Master Chief. But who knows, maybe Locke will be an immensely interesting character along the lines of the Arbiter.

Man, what I would give for a Halo game starring the Arbiter...

Amir0x

Banned

As for the iron sights on other weapons, I'm trying to ask another person I know who's played the beta already. Hopefully he replies back soon.

Oh, I misread your comment. Your first comment said this:

ol, please for the last time I never said you play as Chief for 10% of the game

I dunno why when I glanced it I thought you were reiterating that you do play for him 10% of the time. Heh, apologies. Removing bulletpoint, changed to this:

+ According to shinobi, Locke is pretty much the main character. He doesn't know exactly what the breakdown is between time you play as Master Chief and time you play as Locke, just that the majority of the time is Locke.

Look better for you?

I dunno why when I glanced it I thought you were reiterating that you do play for him 10% of the time. Heh, apologies. Removing bulletpoint, changed to this:

+ According to shinobi, Locke is pretty much the main character. He doesn't know exactly what the breakdown is between time you play as Master Chief and time you play as Locke, just that the majority of the time is Locke.

Look better for you?
No worries, well, the comparison to MGS2 was said to me verbatim, but that works too I guess.

Halo...I remember going into college dorm rooms rolling my eyes at 1. It was simply the best hack yet (at that point) for trying to make an fps play nice with a fucking handheld controller. And fuck me, people loved it. Plebian shit, yet look how its evolved. Now the entire genre has been preverted and everyone is use to the lack of accuracy associated with analog sticks...

I bounced in those early days and retreated back my dorm and the precision of Counter-Strike and Tribes. Click clack. Keyboard and mouse precision.

And now, a snippet of footage is released of H5 and GAF is up in arms about ADS, because Halo's gotta have that uber accurate hip fire "or else" 343 had murdered the game. Its a parody right?

I'd rather play UT.

Yet hear I am, a decade later, playing fucking first person shooters on analog sticks....

Poor poor keyboard and mouse.

El_Chino

Hm, I expecting the Chief/Locke split playing time will be same or similar as it was in Halo 2 with the arbiter/chief.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
No worries, well, the comparison to MGS2 was said to me verbatim, but that works too I guess.

This has nothing to do with that mythical 10% figure, but Snake is really just in the prologue of MGS2 so if that comparison is perfectly accurate than Master Chief won't be playable much at all. I imagine he'll be what the story is about, though. I also wonder if the Arbiter might be a playable character as well? That would be something.

Pretty much what I'm saying is that even though 10% was never said, that doesn't seem too far off when it comes to MGS2 and how much time Snake was playable in that game. I really hope Nightfall does a good job at getting me to like Locke because right now I'm not really sure I like what I see of him.

Seventy70

there is nothing dated about Halo 2 except for its graphics. It's mechanics are timeless.

You don't fuck with chess because monopoly came out. nah now you buy squares and have to maintain an economy.
Just like Tetris. Sometimes simplicity is perfection.
I'd honestly be fine with MCC being the only Halo game this generation as long as they came out with some new DLC maps and campaigns. Halo 2 will never be topped.

there is nothing dated about Halo 2 except for its graphics. It's mechanics are timeless.

You don't fuck with chess because monopoly came out. nah now you buy squares and have to maintain an economy.

nah chess has to evolve because it's not the most popular board game in houses anymore

Ominym

Banned
And here I thought 343i couldn't do anything to blow away my already basement level expectations. Bravo.

Keep hiring those pro-players 343i, really looks like you're listening to them.

Hubble

Thought ADS meant sprint. Want to clarify my previous posts were about Sprint which absolutely ruins what Halo is, as well as the ADS. Completely changes the fundamentals of its floaty mechanics which I am a hardcore Halo MP fan.

Pop

Fuck sprint. Fuck hover. Fuck all those fucking abilities that they added in reach to halo 4. Fuck them so much.

I pretty much agree.

I can live with sprint but I hate it. ADS that looks like every other military shooter really irks me. Abilities just need to go. I saw that clip early were the guy sprinting with the pistol, looked just like COD's sprint. C'mon man.

Now if there is separate playlist for all this new wacky stuff and classic gameplay then I'm all for this. But I bet there won't be. That would just result in very few playing the new stuff.

methodman

Banned
I pretty much agree.

I can live with sprint but I hate it. ADS that looks like every other military shooter really irks me. Abilities just need to go. I saw that clip early were the guy sprinting with the pistol, looked just like COD's sprint. C'mon man.

Now if there is separate playlist for all this new wacky stuff and classic gameplay then I'm all for this. But I bet there won't be. That would just result in very few playing the new stuff.
Even split playlists blows chunks. Cuz the campaign mode will include all of those shitty abilities and that means I'd never play it. I'm not gonna touch halo 4 in mcc.

Lingitiz

I pretty much agree.

I seem to recall classic playlists doing the exact opposite in past Halo games. Most people just end up playing the default TS playlist without trying much else.

I pretty much agree.

MCC is Halo 5's classic playlist.

A classic playlist in Halo 5 would do just as badly as it has in the other games because they were trying to imitate classic gameplay.

Halo 5 needs to get its base gameplay right and never ever end up with 5 different game settings playable in matchmaking like we saw with Reach.

Gaz_RB

The Chess-monopoly analogy isn't really that great.

There is no Chess sequels, and if there were, we would want them to be different, otherwise we'd just play chess.

Hatchtag

Banned
The Chess-monopoly analogy isn't really that great.

There is no Chess sequels, and if there were, we would want them to be different, otherwise we'd just play chess.

yeah, but imagine you bought Chess II, and it was just Risk made to look similar to Chess.

bGanci

Banned
Several more clips have leaked, and based on everything they show aim down sight has NOT been added to the game. It appears that the first clip simply shows the new implementation of the battle rifle’s zoom functionality. So, a lot of the outrage may be unfounded.

Another neogaf overreaction?

Defect

I remember 343 saying something like "Sprint was the most used AA in Reach so we decided to make it default in Halo 4 so players can also use another ability to have more variety."

I guess thrusters were the most popular in Halo 4 huh? So AA's don't exist anymore because you already have "two" built in. And we haven't even seen the charge, hover, or groundsmash yet.

So frustrating.

Pop

Several more clips have leaked, and based on everything they show aim down sight has NOT been added to the game. It appears that the first clip simply shows the new implementation of the battle rifle’s zoom functionality. So, a lot of the outrage may be unfounded.

Another neogaf overreaction?

Where are those clips?

If it functions the exact same way then why change it? Why does it now look like every other shooter.

bGanci

Banned
Where are those clips?

If it functions the exact same way then why change it? Why does it now look like every other shooter.

They have been taken down. But just wait till tomorrow for the reveal. Also the scope looks sexy. Adds cosmetically to the gun. The gun will function 100 percent like the previous halo's

VeeP

And here I thought 343i couldn't do anything to blow away my already basement level expectations. Bravo.

Keep hiring those pro-players 343i, really looks like you're listening to them.

Halo 2 is dated. No wall running, no exoskeleton. No unlocks????! No armor customization. How does 343 expect me to play for hours if I can't unlock that damn gun so I can use it to pwn noobs. No prestige mode! Only rankings based on skill! Who wants that?

so...

7p5MWuj.png

can anyone hazard a guess what the prophet's bane is?

VinFTW

so....

7p5MWuj.png

can anyone hazard a guess what the prophet's bane is?

As I said in HaloGAF, I think it's just a way to "name" the power weapons, which would essentially making it much cooler/add more importance to "controlling" them back when controlling power weapons and the map were the core of the Halo arena/competitive gameplay.

Biker19

Banned
I'm sorry, but do you think that because 5% of the playerbase of the Halo series doesn't like sprint or ads, that means 343 should cater their games to those 5%? Tens of millions of people play Halo, not just the gamers with NeoGAF accounts. Your opinion is not more valid than anyone elses.

Go take a look at what happened with Halo 4's online multiplayer population after it was turned into COD (shown here). Then come back & tell us that.

Consider this. Arena FPS is a dead genre. Appealing to fans of a dead genre means you get ALL the sales of fans of that genre. Making your game the same as all the others means you're entering a crowded genre. MCC is appealing to arena shooter fans better than 343 developed Halo games. There's a whole crew of gamers waiting to give the next arena FPS game all their money.

Why Is Star Citizen breaking all the funding records? Fans of the genre have been starving.

Fans of arena FPS gaming have been starving. This move is stupid.

I agree fully. If 343 has any sanity left, they'll cater Halo 5 to the hardcore fanbase of past Arena FPS games like Halo 2 & 3.

Otherwise, the franchise as a whole will join other shooters like SOCOM as a result of chasing the COD money.

I remember 343 saying something like "Sprint was the most used AA in Reach so we decided to make it default in Halo 4 so players can also use another ability to have more variety."

I guess thrusters were the most popular in Halo 4 huh? So AA's don't exist anymore because you already have "two" built in. And we haven't even seen the charge, hover, or groundsmash yet.

So frustrating.

Thrusters as a core mechanic would be fucking amazing.

Perhaps this is just one playlist and the game offers a more classic approach as well?

It'll split the userbase, but atleast there's still a way to play with the good mechanics. Maps are gonna be strange for one or both playlists though. Either they make them to work better with the ADS/Sprint mechanics, or better with the old mechanics, or some that work with one and some that work with the other.

Or they can just bring back the old maps for the classic playlist, but I still want some new maps.

Top Bottom