• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

Already confirmed. I just saw the leaked footage and it looks awesome. More info in the HaloGAF community thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138138013&postcount=16774.

Oh, really? Couldn't tell from the footage.

That's actually some good shit. With proper cooldown and effectiveness, thrusters can add a skillful, tactical element to firefights with some emphasis on mindgames, all without overshadowing the core gameplay. It also opens up the possibilities for slightly more complicated traversal, and enemy designs with fast-moving projectiles that necessitate thruster dodging (and who doesn't love pressing a button to narrowly dodge a lethal projectile in any game?).

Silver linings, and all that.

Mr Lakitu

Banned
Choose soldier in multiplayer

Locke - cod style. sprint, ads, worse hip fire, slighly more bullet damage to even it out

Master Chief - traditional style with thrusters

RedFury

I don't like that they added ads or sprint because it's not halo. People saying what's the big deal is just stupid. That's like having your favorite game changed into something it's not to appeal to a larger audience. NO ONE wants that. On the other side of things those complaining will still go out and buy it day one...ugh

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, really? Couldn't tell from the footage.

That's actually some good shit. With proper cooldown and effectiveness, thrusters can add a skillful, tactical element to firefights with some emphasis on mindgames, all without overshadowing the core gameplay. It also opens up the possibilities for slightly more complicated traversal, and enemy designs with fast-moving projectiles that necessitate thruster dodging (and who doesn't love pressing a button to narrowly dodge a lethal projectile in any game?).

Silver linings, and all that.
I totally agree. Thrusters sound awesome to me. I wish they'd give them a little bit of a boost and just totally cut sprint.

I totally agree. Thrusters sound awesome to me. I wish they'd give them a little bit of a boost and just totally cut sprint.

If anything, it's a fantastic example of how the game can evolve in a natural way without totally changing everything. It'll have great implications in multiplayer, but I'm actually more excited for what it means for campaign/coop. Giving the player a persistent dodge ability opens up the possibility for fresh enemy designs that take advantage of just that, and can potentially take combat to whole different level. The only shooter with a similar mechanic that really leverages it is...I don't know, Metroid Prime? The dodge in Advanced Warfare feels great to perform but there aren't any enemies or scenarios designed around it. Kind of like Halo 4's thruster pack, just wasted potential.

But yeah, should be great for multiplayer. I just hope it's implemented in a way that a skilled player can do amazing stuff with it.

Err MC is a secondary character in Halo 5?

Wouldn't be surprised if they used Halo 5 and MCC to bring more of the extended universe into the game world. Halo 4 didn't quiet got it, where a lot was only clear when you read the books or other sources.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Holy shit. 77 pages Eh?

Not going to wildly speculate. Also if ADS doesn't slow you down and there is no penalty to hipfire, why get upset about it?

Don't see an issue with sprint either.

Holy shit. 77 pages Eh?

Not going to wildly speculate. Also if ADS doesn't slow you down and there is no penalty to hipfire, why get upset about it?

Same here a player that can't play with hipfire will give me 1~2 free shots 😃

Pop

Holy shit. 77 pages Eh?

Cause it's change for the sake of change for 343i.

Go take a look at what happened with Halo 4's online multiplayer population after it was turned into COD (shown here). Then come back & tell us that.

I agree fully. If 343 has any sanity left, they'll cater Halo 5 to the hardcore fanbase of past Arena FPS games like Halo 2 & 3.

Otherwise, the franchise as a whole will join other shooters like SOCOM as a result of chasing the COD money.

This has been my primary curiosity about this situation. Thanks for this info.

Thoraxes

Wouldn't be surprised if they used Halo 5 and MCC to bring more of the extended universe into the game world. Halo 4 didn't quiet got it, where a lot was only clear when you read the books or other sources.
Pretty much any intrigue or significance of sorry in Halo 4 comes from the Forerunner Trilogy.

If you read the books then play Halo 4, you get a whole hell of a lot more out of what's going on in there.

With Agent Locke being a primary character I have no faith that they'll follow through on such a great setup though. There were some really nice plot threads that were left open that I would absolutely love to see expanded upon. Especially more with what happened to the imprinted didact.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Saying 343 is "chasing the COD money" just because they changed the visuals of zooming your weapon is frankly ridiculous. We know very little about the game overall, but the overwhelming message we're receiving from 343 points to the game going back to it's competitive, 4v4, equal starts roots. There's nothing COD about that. That's a totally fair statement to make about Halo 4, but so far I'm not convinced they're following the same path with Halo 5.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Saying 343 is "chasing the COD money" just because they changed the visuals of zooming your weapon is frankly ridiculous. We know very little about the game overall, but the overwhelming message we're receiving from 343 points to the game going back to it's competitive, 4v4, equal starts roots. There's nothing COD about that. That's a totally fair statement to make about Halo 4, but so far I'm not convinced they're following the same path with Halo 5.

Get the fuck out of here with your sound logic and reasoning. We are here to irrationally panic and scream about the end of days.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Get the fuck out of here with your sound logic and reasoning. We are here to irrationally panic and scream about the end of days.
ADS is scary stuff and I get why people are freaking out... But yeah, it really doesn't sound that bad. In my opinion it's totally pointless, but only minorly problematic. ADS adds more clutter to the screen and usually feels kinda claustrophobic to me, but I can deal with that.

so...

7p5MWuj.png

can anyone hazard a guess what the prophet's bane is?

Well, the Arbiter did kill the Prophet of Truth with his plasma sword, and this looks mostly sword-like... so, maybe after the events of Halo 3, Arby's personal weapon became a legendary weapon, named and reforged. That's my best guess.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Go take a look at what happened with Halo 4's online multiplayer population after it was turned into COD (shown here). Then come back & tell us that.

I agree fully. If 343 has any sanity left, they'll cater Halo 5 to the hardcore fanbase of past Arena FPS games like Halo 2 & 3.

Otherwise, the franchise as a whole will join other shooters like SOCOM as a result of chasing the COD money.

Yup. What he posted was the truth. People should read that because it's facts. Cold hard facts.

Mirror, download if these go down
http://vimeo.com/user34252656/videos

Hipfire seems to still be really effective, and the AR seems to be the same as the rest without any type of sights, so that's good. Not too worried anymore.

That original video people were getting worked up about seems to have been with the BR or DMR. They changed the way the sights are, though, it's no more scoping in similarly to a sniper, it's more like your typical red dot sight. Not a big deal, though I hope it's zooming in with the right stick and not LT, I need grenades and secondary weapon fire on LT.

And people saying thrusters, yes. That's what I want, it adds a new dynamic without getting rid of your ability to run and gun.

Personally, now knowing that its just a visual change, I am cautiously-meh about it. Now it just rubs me the wrong reason that they changed canon to chase a minor visual style

Raab

Neo Member
Hipfire seems to still be really effective, and the AR seems to be the same as the rest without any type of sights, so that's good. Not too worried anymore.

That original video people were getting worked up about seems to have been with the BR or DMR. They changed the way the sights are, though, it's no more scoping in similarly to a sniper, it's more like your typical red dot sight. Not a big deal, though I hope it's zooming in with the right stick and not LT, I need grenades and secondary weapon fire on LT.

And people saying thrusters, yes. That's what I want, it adds a new dynamic without getting rid of your ability to run and gun.

I don't want thrusters. Will most likely end up like evade...which was terrible imo.

barit

So to understand this who never played Halo games besides Halo 1 campaign on PC:

It's the same as if someone adds to my beloved Quake 3 zoom-in that slows down aiming and sprint which forbids to fire my weapon? I would say Fuck them lol

derFeef

So to understand this who never played Halo games besides Halo 1 campaign on PC:

It's the same as if someone adds to my beloved Quake 3 zoom-in that slows down aiming and sprint which forbids to fire my weapon? I would say Fuck them lol

No.

The universe is full of cold, hard facts. And this is one of them.

Top Bottom