• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

I think you need to chill and wait until we know more about the gameplay. They already announced 4v4 and no loadouts which is great news. I don't want to have Halo 2 with current gen graphics. I don't mind the ADS being different in this game as long as it is just for looks and is no different than hipfiring.. meaning it is not copying COD(the game didn't invent ADS lol). The implementation of sprinting IMO has to be done when you have larger maps than you did when Halo 2 was out

Do I seem not chill? I'm just voicing my concerns and I said previously that I will reserve judgement until I see the gameplay tomorrow and play the beta. And you're right 4v4 and no loadouts is great news. Why do maps need to get bigger than Halo 2 maps? They played fine then and they would play fine now.

Hindle

Banned
ADS is cancer, it does change the gameplay and makes shooting from the hip a useless mechanic. I know its cosmetic here thank god, but COD/Titanfall gunplay/melee is vile. One hit melee from the front, terrible unskilled positive reenforcement bullshit , hate hate hate COD

Yea, if it's the only way to play, then 343 can fuck off.

VeeP

maybe it just meant that halo fans moved on to other games when the halo developer moved on?

We'll find out when Halo MCC drops I guess.

But considering the type of shit that was in Halo 4 multiplayer, I'm sure that was a reason.

Sooooo what's the problem then lol. At the end of the day, H4 was liked by the people who like Cod as well, they should be catered to.

the MP audience dropped like a brick just a few weeks after the release, it's fair to say that almost no one liked it.

Sooooo what's the problem then lol. At the end of the day, H4 was liked by the people who like Cod as well, they should be catered to. The more options for players, the bigger the potential audience.

No. There's COD and countless other FPS games for those who prefer COD style gameplay.

Halo shouldn't try to cater to those people. It should cater to Halo fans who helped it become one of the biggest IP in gaming.

Striker

I think you need to chill and wait until we know more about the gameplay. They already announced 4v4 and no loadouts which is great news. I don't want to have Halo 2 with current gen graphics. I don't mind the ADS being different in this game as long as it is just for looks and is no different than hipfiring.. meaning it is not copying COD(the game didn't invent ADS lol). The implementation of sprinting IMO has to be done when you have larger maps than you did when Halo 2 was out
Halo 2's large maps were the same size, if not bigger than any of the large ones made in Halo 4. The difference is you rarely saw smaller maps, see Warlock or Midship. So the common size we had there was mostly mid-size. Truthfully that isn't a problem to me. The map quality was just awful.

molnizzle

He is aiming down sights here no?
http://i5.minus.com/iz8sXvwhetpIt.JPG

I'm glad everyone is happy and got their way but I still wish their was left l2 option for people who want to play that way, even if it lead to us getting killed more... Aiming from the hip to head shot someone on the other side of the map goes against my last 10 years of gaming. I can settle for sprint though, if there was one thing I needed in halo 2 Back in the day was a little more pep in my step (my opinion, don't care if it's blasphemous to some of you)

I don't understand, you clearly have that option. It's actually better because you move at the same speed while ADS'd.

I'm hoping that your sensitivity still drops if you ADS though. That would make ADS more situatonal and give it a fairly even balance of pros and cons.

Very glad to read that tweet.

Arnie

If there's no penalty to movement, no change in magnetism in terms of enemy tracking and it takes up what's most likely a crucial button placement then what's the point?

It's quite a large addition, resource wise, to be entirely (like 100%) cosmetic.

I just don't get it.

And fuck the idea of unlocking attachments for a Battle Rifle. Halo 4 was bad enough, do not dial that shit up.

molnizzle

If there's no penalty to movement, no change in magnetism in terms of enemy tracking and it takes up what's most likely a crucial button placement then what's the point?

It's quite a large addition, resource wise, to be entirely (like 100%) cosmetic.

I just don't get it.

And fuck the idea of unlocking attachments for a Battle Rifle. Halo 4 was bad enough, do not dial that shit up.

The point is you still get a "zoom" effect to help with target acquisition. If zooming lowers your sensitivity then that could be another positive as well.

Downside is obviously having a far narrower FOV due to both the zoom effect and the fact that your gun is taking up much more screen real estate.

So it becomes an optional mechanic that could either help you or hinder you depending on the situation.

Ushay

Sooooo what's the problem then lol. At the end of the day, H4 was liked by the people who like Cod as well, they should be catered to. The more options for players, the bigger the potential audience.

I think its about identity, especially in the competitive scene. ADS changes the gameplay feel a fair bit. Halo has always had a different feel to COD or Battlefield, that may be why people are up in arms about this. Personally I welcome change's that benefit the game, the best thing to do at this point is wait for the beta and voice our opinions then.

I cant stand out of context criticism.

No. There's COD and countless other FPS games for those who prefer COD style gameplay.

Halo shouldn't try to cater to those people. It should cater to Halo fans who helped it become one of the biggest IP in gaming.
I wish a lot of games stuck with their own formula. Post COD fps genre in a nutshell? Get the COD checklist. Quite sad really.

Skele7on

Banned
Just when I think it's safe to be hyped for a Halo game..

They honestly think after the clusterfuck that was Halo 4 multiplayer they're ready to make a bold new move.

Well it worked out amazingly well last time didn't it 343i

Just make a Halo game already, none of this ohhh innovation, if you want to do that then give the Halo franchise to someone else and make a new game.

Heritage, obviously means very little to this studio.

People didn't love Halo because it was chasing the Esport scene.

you know why, because back in halo 2/3 IT WAS the esport scene.

At least from tomorrow I can play Halo 2/3 again and then if Halo 5 is bad, I will have them to play forever....

Will watch video, at least there is an alpha soon and they'll hopefully listen to us right?

Feindflug

This so much. I'm already tired of seeing most AAA games having the same mechanics and play so similar, if a series as big as Halo can't afford doing it's own thing and has to cater to the CoD audience then the AAA landscape is more bleak and bankrupt in terms of creativity than we imagined.

Halo should influence the FPS genre and 343i should try it's own thing if they want to freshen up things, if Halo isn't capable of doing such a thing then the gaming industry is in deep shit.

abadguy

Banned
ADS should never be in Halo. It doesn't fit the play style nor the narrative( the fuck would a Spartan need with ADS when they have a HUD in their helmet?) so glad it's just a cosmetic thing. Sprint i can live with but keep ADS the fuck out of it.

Sprint in shooters needs to dissapear forever.

Just up base movement speed and add a walk button to mask footsteps.

Sprint is just a way to hide that you are trying to dumb the game down by making movespeed slower during firefights

no, it meant that halo 4 didn't keep their attention

The world changed. No game is going to replicate Halo 2's (and to a certain extent Halo 3's) player retention. That was the pre-modern-warfare days, the pre Battlefield (on consoles) days. Hell, matchmaking wasn't even a thing before Halo 2. The shooter space is incredibly crowded now compared to then.

There are a litany of reasons why Halo isn't the top of the heap in the FPS genre anymore, and "they put sprint and ADS in it" is somewhere far, far down on that list. Shhhh, don't tell HaloGAF.

I think HaloGAF has good intentions by pushing so hard for a return to classic Halo gameplay and whatnot, but the assumption that it's going to cause a renaissance with the mass market (you can see this attitude with thread titles like "the king is back!" or bold proclamations that MCC is going to outsell COD and Destiny) is misplaced, at best. Pivoting to meet all the needs of NeoGaf or MLG or Reddit or whatever is fine and all, but it's not going to stop the contraction of the franchise, in fact it may even accelerate it.

The really, really hardcore Halo fans probably make up enough to get you 150-200k concurrent a night. That's not cutting it for the type of AAA production those same hardcore fans will demand.

Monocle

Good, I like both ADS and Sprinting

*waits for a pitchfork in the cranium* ;P
Then you like CoD and its clones. Go play CoD if you like that style of shooter. In Halo, mobility during combat is key. ADS and sprinting mess with the combat flow at the core of Halo, where movement and shooting and meleeing and grenading seamlessly merge during short intense skirmishes. That's the big reason so many people are freaking out over those features. They fundamentally change the game by sticking a wedge between movement and combat.

(When I say mobility or movement I mean that dynamic dance of strafing and jumping that combines skillful evasion with split-second offense, not toddling around with your gun mashed up against your helmet, or bum rushing with a melee weapon.)

The world changed. No game is going to replicate Halo 2's (and to a certain extent Halo 3's) player retention. That was the pre-modern-warfare days, the pre Battlefield (on consoles) days. Hell, matchmaking wasn't even a thing before Halo 2. The shooter space is incredibly crowded now compared to then.

There are a litany of reasons why Halo isn't the top of the heap in the FPS genre anymore, and "they put sprint and ADS in it" is somewhere far, far down on that list. Shhhh, don't tell HaloGAF.

Halo 3 MP was the top multiplayer game for years. Literally years, and there has been a strong players base ever since. The majority of core Halo fans hated Halo 4 and left the Mp quick and so did the casual audience who went back to playing twitch shooters. The player base in 4 fell hard after 3 months.

so...

7p5MWuj.png

can anyone hazard a guess what the prophet's bane is?
So that new sword is called the Prophet's Bane? This gives me hope that the old sword is in the game.

Well it is not the SAME functionally. There is an ovious transition animation and the BR uses a red dot.
This is false, the zoomed in BR does not use a red dot. I took screencap comparisons of the zoomed vs unzoomed view and the reticule remains completely static and identical. Cosmetically it's a red dot sight, but functionally it's no different than the previous scoping method.

And from what I can see, the transistion to ADS is pretty god damn fast, if not just as fast as the zooming animation of previous games, but since the reticule is static it doesn't stop you from shooting or affect your accuracy like ADS in other games.

So given that we also know:

- no penalty to hipfire
- no movement speed penalty
- no flinch
- descoping is back

it's starting to look more and more like it's simply a cosmetic change to traditional Halo zoom. I know a lot people won't like how much screen real estate it takes up, but previous Halo games also obscured your peripheral vision when zooming, that's the penalty for increased range.

As for decreasing the zoom length on the BR, I'd wager that they did it to justify the DMR as the long range precision rifle in the sandbox, but we'll see.

At first glance I was as worried as the rest of you, but I'm personally more worried about ground pounds and shoulder tackles at this point. And I totally get the outcry too, after the radical changes in Halo 4 and 343s other questionable decisions I think it's more than fair to have reservations about Halo 5.

FyreWulff

Reach was stable and retaining players until 343's TU and playlist update that turned the AAs up to 11.

Halo 2's large maps were the same size, if not bigger than any of the large ones made in Halo 4. The difference is you rarely saw smaller maps, see Warlock or Midship. So the common size we had there was mostly mid-size. Truthfully that isn't a problem to me. The map quality was just awful.

What map in halo 2 was the size of Exile or Longbow?

sinseers

How bout finally making the warthog actually...you know...... drivable. Yall want something to legitimately complain about? How bout you start there?

This is false, the zoomed in BR does not use a red dot. I took screencap comparisons of the zoomed vs unzoomed view and the reticule remains completely static and identical. Cosmetically it's a red dot sight, but functionally it's no different than the previous scoping method.
It is a red dot. You are just assuming it is purely a cosmetic difference... a more logical assumption would be that they are differentiating scopes and lesser zoomed aim modes (as provided by red dots). hence why the DMR still has its scope!

And from what I can see, the transistion to ADS is pretty god damn fast, if not just as fast as the zooming animation of previous games, but since the reticule is static it doesn't stop you from shooting or affect your accuracy like ADS in other games.

The gun has a visual kick (changing the screen position constantly upon shot), an animation transition, and a lessend screen FOV due to the sights. This is actually a pretty big functional difference for something that people are claiming is "purely cosmetic."

FatMarshall

Neo Member
How bout finally making the warthog actually...you know...... drivable. Yall want something to legitimately complain about? How bout you start there?

git gud

In all honesty, when I first played Halo 3 I did find it hard to drive, but eventually I figured it out in like 10 minutes. I do remember at VERY first having issues though. If 343 wants to improve that, by all means, they can go right ahead.

Ishan

Just when I think it's safe to be hyped for a Halo game..

They honestly think after the clusterfuck that was Halo 4 multiplayer they're ready to make a bold new move.

Well it worked out amazingly well last time didn't it 343i

Just make a Halo game already, none of this ohhh innovation, if you want to do that then give the Halo franchise to someone else and make a new game.

Heritage, obviously means very little to this studio.

People didn't love Halo because it was chasing the Esport scene.

you know why, because back in halo 2/3 IT WAS the esport scene.

At least from tomorrow I can play Halo 2/3 again and then if Halo 5 is bad, I will have them to play forever....

Will watch video, at least there is an alpha soon and they'll hopefully listen to us right?

counter strike. not even a comparision worth contemplating as far as esports history/competitiveness is concerned. I get halo was very big but no way it is comparable to counter strike on a esport competitive level.

Ishan

I have a question tho? So this beta hits in dec? And then actual halo 5 hits in late 2015. Isnt that a huge difference? Wouldnt the graphics engine and other aspects all be in like alpha or pre alpha stage? Why is it being shown so early? Or are ppl expecting halo 5 earlier in the year?

arent betas for mp are closer to release (I could be wrong tho ?)

So given that we also know:

- no penalty to hipfire
- no movement speed penalty
- no flinch
- descoping is back

it's starting to look more and more like it's simply a cosmetic change to traditional Halo zoom. I know a lot people won't like how much screen real estate it takes up, but previous Halo games also obscured your peripheral vision when zooming, that's the penalty for increased range.

As for decreasing the zoom length on the BR, I'd wager that they did it to justify the DMR as the long range precision rifle in the sandbox, but we'll see.

At first glance I was as worried as the rest of you, but I'm personally more worried about ground pounds and shoulder tackles at this point. And I totally get the outcry too, after the radical changes in Halo 4 and 343s other questionable decisions I think it's more than fair to have reservations about Halo 5.

VJ0TRao.gif

erale

Glad they're adding ADS finally. It's standard in every modern FPS so why should the Halo series stick with an really outdated gameplay style just for their hardcore fanbase that doesn't want to move forward?

Halo really needs something new and to be honest Halo 3 and everything after that feld extremely outdated and repetitive.

Top Bottom