• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta preview [Game revolution] [Update: Big Screens]

JackHerer

Am I the only one concerned about this "smart scope"

Smart anything doesn't sit well with me, especially after battlefield 4

It made me immediately think of the smart pistol from Titan Fall. I don't they they would be that stupid to add something like that.

If we get taken out of scope when shot then clearly this isn't your standard COD-style ADS.

Wollveren

Banned
Wow, that gun looks comically small, it's like the huge Master Chef's can barely hold it :D

That map actually looks really cool! If the floor highlights every time something touches it, would look really nice!

Reminds me of those VR tutorial areas you get in games like MGR:R or Titnfall.

VeeP

It made me immediately think of the smart pistol from Titan Fall. I don't they they would be that stupid to add something like that.

If we get taken out of scope when shot then clearly this isn't your standard COD-style ADS.

Honestly, Smart Scope made me think of the Smartlink perk from Shadowrun. It's basically extra autoaim if you attach it.

runnner30

Banned
Come on, can't we keep the shiny look?

343_industries_68146.jpg

Looks terrible. Painted storm trooper amor, bleh.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Wow, that gun looks comically small, it's like the huge Master Chef's can barely hold it :D

These are actually Spartan IVs or Vs so they are a lot smaller than MC and are not capable of wearing a Spartan IIs MJLONR armor.

Halo 4 ending cutscene really shows you the size difference between John and the newer Spartans, John was also not the biggest Spartan II.

Kssio_Aug

Honestly, after watching the IGNs first videos reveals of Halo 1 and 2, I asked myself why games today are so worried about awesome graphics and cinematic feel. I dont even care if Halo 5 doesnt become a top notch graphical game, I just want it to focus on gameplay; and 60fps will add to that!

Basically, Im just asking for a trully fun to play shooter.

But yeah. Thats about the beta, from one year before release. So Im sure it will be looking much better till release.

These are actually Spartan IVs or Vs so they are a lot smaller than MC and are not capable of wearing a Spartan IIs MJLONR armor.

Halo 4 ending cutscene really shows you the size difference between John and the newer Spartans, John was also not the biggest Spartan II.

Halo 4 ending was actually deliberately exaggerated; John is bigger than they are, but he's not that much bigger :p Most of the IVs are 6'+.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Garbage visuals.

Also looks sub SD. Get your shit together already 343.
I hope you're joking. This is a beta a year out from release. I can't believe how inflexible some of you people are being, lol. It's like being a kid and getting to open your christmas presents six months early and complaining about the gift wrap.

Anybody mentioning the quality of the visuals in this thread is just fueling the bullshit fire. If you're doing this, you probably don't realize shit about the game...the fact that it's a year from release, the fact that it's on Xbox One and is going for a smooth 60fps and 1080p. If you didn't know these things, now you do, and now you know what to do.

Honestly, do you think this game will look worse than the same people that put Halo 4 on the 360? A little logic goes a long way, people.

People are in denial if they think this game is gonna come out a year from now and be radically better looking. Better to an extent perhaps.

These are promo shots as well so they probably touched them up too.

We had a very similar situation with the Halo 3 beta alpha, and the Halo 4 multiplayer reveal. In both cases the finished games ended up looking significantly better, so yeah, it's not much of a stretch.

Bsigg12

Anybody mentioning the quality of the visuals in this thread is just fueling the bullshit fire. If you're doing this, you probably don't realize shit about the game...the fact that it's a year from release, the fact that it's on Xbox One and is going for a smooth 60fps and 1080p. If you didn't know these things, now you do, and now you know what to do.

Honestly, do you think this game will look worse than the same people that put Halo 4 on the 360? A little logic goes a long way, people.

I'm doubtful the game will be 1080p. The only thing they have pushed is it being 60fps

FordGTGuy

Banned
Halo 4 ending was actually deliberately exaggerated; John is bigger than they are, but he's not that much bigger :p Most of the IVs are 6'+.

Book lore puts them at normal human height and a few more inches because of armor. Master Chief and other Spartan IIs were this tall at 15-16 yo and were 7 feet without the armor.

If anything the cutscene was the most realistic as far as the games.

Chris1

Graphics don't look as good as I was expecting, however it is a beta so they might be downgraded for a smaller file size and the game is still over a year away, so it's likely they will improve. Not going to start worrying yet.

Good god, the shiny armor screenshots... Why must Halo 5 have the terrible armor designs from 4? My god, they don't even look like Spartans anymore (aside from Mark VI).

Just terrible armor design. Seems like Reach will remain the king of the series in that regard.

Halo 5 seems to be using some basic real time reflections which is exciting:

1tiXN83.jpg

Let's hope the armor and visors are placeholder, and we get to see some shine and reflections there as well.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Good god, the shiny armor screenshots... Why must Halo 5 have the terrible armor designs from 4? My god, they don't even look like Spartans anymore (aside from Mark VI).

Just terrible armor design. Seems like Reach will remain the king of the series in that regard.
this is a beta
one year out from the final release
using early assets
and probably placeholder assets

this thread is hurting my brain

L4nnist3r

1080p? Wishful thinking more like 900p or the new 1080pr.

shandy706

I guess people must enjoy crow, because they go ahead and put their feet in their mouths so early in the game regardless

Throwing all your eggs in the basket an entire year before a game comes out....on a Multiplayer Beta...

I'd say that's not stupid at all.

It's about as dumb as you can get, if you don't expect a marked improvement.

Gestault

Spartan II candidates were crazy tall. It was a result of the selection for particular genetic markers. Like, even in their teens, many were hovering around 7 ft tall. Same reason George was so tall compared to the rest of his squad in Reach. The Halo 4 ending didn't seem exaggerated at all. I'm over six feet tall, and I've met Shaquille O'Neal.

"Players will notice quite quickly that first-person shooter mechanics not far removed from Call of Duty have drawn the competitive game just a little closer to the kind of quick reflexes and accuracy normally associated with aiming down sights religiously."

I'm not going to lie this part scares the absolute shit out of me.

Will wait for the Beta to judge for myself but it really feels like 343 is trying to abandon what makes Halo, Halo. Hopefully it still has that trademark feel.

Book lore puts them at normal human height and a few more inches because of armor. Master Chief and other Spartan IIs were this tall at 15-16 yo and were 7 feet without the armor.

If anything the cutscene was the most realistic as far as the games.

Yeah, but a) normal human height has probably adjusted upwards a bit over the 550 years between now and the Fall of Reach, and b) the IVs are going to be big on average anyway, since they're selected for (among other things) athleticism.

Also, didn't Blur actually say that they deliberately exaggerated his height in that last scene? They'd know.

Spartan II candidates were crazy tall. It was a result of the selection for particular genetic markers. Like, even in their teens, many were hovering around 7 ft tall. Same reason George was so tall compared to the rest of his squad in Reach. The Halo 4 ending didn't seem exaggerated at all. I'm over six feet tall, and I've met Shaquille O'Neal.

See above. I know the IIs are all crazy tall, but it's like 6-10 inches taller than the IVs, not a foot and a half :p

Bsigg12

Throwing all your eggs in the basket an entire year before a game comes out....on a Multiplayer Beta...

I'd say that's not stupid at all.

Yep.. And I'm expecting a pretty significant campaign reveal which could and should look phenomenal at The Game Awards or whatever they're called since Microsoft's early presale for tickets code is JAMESONLOCKE

imae

A lot of us are thinking they are using placeholder assets in those images. The models you see there look nothing like the models shown off in the official IGN preview that occurred a couple weeks ago.

I kinda got the impression those armour model images we saw were mostly for conceptual purposes, It would explain the caption below the images: "Early high-res armor development. Materials not representative of final in-game model.".

I do think the final armour models will look better than in these beta screenshots though, even if it just means improved shaders and lighting on the models themselves.

EDIT: Oh, yeah - the actual design of the models is quite different between those 'concepts' and what we see in these screenshots so they certainly could be placeholder to some extent, or at least design wise.

Top Bottom