• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 - Game Informer details

jet1911

Speaking of which, it would be great for Halo 5 to be an intergalactic journey where we visit a bunch of unique locations and planets.

Those are almost the exact same words used in the GI coverage trailer lol

Edit: Already pointed, oups.

spootime

As someone who probably hasn't made a single positive post about halo in months... I really am excited for halo 5. Free DLC only and the OG spartans finally getting into a game, plus the beta being pretty fun... Im kinda hyped

Madness

10 s4s versus 1 s2 would be a bloodbath. Ten unarmored s4s versus 1 unarmored s2 would be a fight.

Do you mean would be a bloodbath for the Spartan-II because the S-IV's have the superior suits? Aren't Spartan-II's are genetically perfect though, raised from childhood to be the ultimate war assets. Spartan-IV's are basically marines, ODST's and regular human conscripts given the new augmentation and suits no? Not denying Buck, Locke, Palmer and others don't have the military mindset and fighting ability, but people like Fred, Linda, Chief, are on a whole new level in my opinion.

There's one scene I think in Spartan Ops for Halo 4, when Thorne and his team take out some of M'dama elites, they pick up energy swords and are wowed by them and whatnot. Just made it seem like these are some young enlisted kids given a new set of armor, some augmentation.

Do you mean would be a bloodbath for the Spartan-II because the S-IV's have the superior suits? Aren't Spartan-II's are genetically perfect though, raised from childhood to be the ultimate war assets. Spartan-IV's are basically marines, ODST's and regular human conscripts given the new augmentation and suits no? Not denying Buck, Locke, Palmer and others don't have the military mindset and fighting ability, but people like Fred, Linda, Chief, are on a whole new level in my opinion.

There's one scene I think in Spartan Ops for Halo 4, when Thorne and his team take out some of M'dama elites, they pick up energy swords and are wowed by them and whatnot. Just made it seem like these are some young enlisted kids given a new set of armor, some augmentation.

Pretty sure he's saying 10 Spartan IV's in armor against one Spartan II in armor is a complete stomp in favor of the IV's, which certainly makes sense. A Spartan IV in armor is equal to a Spartan II in armor so it's essentially 10 Spartan II's against 1 Spartan II. Out of armor a Spartan II is superior due to their augmentations being much more extensive than those the Spartan IV's received. The armor for the IV's was meant to compensate for this, so in armor they're pretty much as good as the II's, but out of armor? Not so much.

So basically in a fight between a Spartan IV and a Spartan II would go like this:

1. Both in armor it's a fair and equal fight
2. Both out of armor it's a stomp for the II.

Outrun

Yeah. the Spartan IIs are a different class. Picked from the best human genetic material in the galaxy, and then sifted through training, augmentation, and now 5 decades of war leaving the elite of the elite left.

The currently Spartans would not stand a chance in anything resembling a fair fight.

I'm not a huge lore guy but just a quick question: What's stopping Spartan IIs from getting the better armor?

1. It's iffy if the armor would even do anything for the II's (physically) seeing as the armor is meant to bring the IV's physical attributes up to the level of the II's due to the augmentations not being as extreme for the IV's. The II's are already at that level in terms of physical attributes, so perhaps it wouldn't boost their physical attributes any higher than what they currently are.
2. Blue Team never joined the Spartan IV program so perhaps that's why they didn't get it. Or maybe they just never bothered.

Not really sure. We haven't got an answer as to why.

RowdyReverb

Putting Buck on the team against Master Chief was a smart move. Makes long time fans feel a little more conflicted about whose side they're on. I hope there really are some moral quandaries with Blue Team so they aren't just a band of misunderstood good guys.

10 s4s versus 1 s2 would be a bloodbath. Ten unarmored s4s versus 1 unarmored s2 would be a fight.

what if that one armored Spartan 2 vs those ten Spartan 4s just happens to be Linda while in perfect sniping position?

10 dead Spartan 4s coming right up!? :)

Ok this one outdoor shot with Spartan Locke looks really amazing.

This Space Station Screenshots dont look that special. Outdoor lighting is probably going to look very amazing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

No, while the SIV armor is newer and higher tech, and would give an SIV a fighting chance against a Spartan II, ten Spartan IVs would obviously make short work of one Spartan II. HOWEVER, out of armor, you're basically looking at ten elite level athletes fighting a near-supernatural monster. Chief killed ODSTs BY ACCIDENT when he was a teenager, in a fist fight.

Gestault

No, while the SIV armor is newer and higher tech, and would give an SIV a fighting chance against a Spartan II, ten Spartan IVs would obviously make short work of one Spartan II. HOWEVER, out of armor, you're basically looking at ten elite level athletes fighting a near-supernatural monster. Chief killed ODSTs BY ACCIDENT when he was a teenager, in a fist fight.

Also as an addendum, newer armor tech doesn't necessarily mean it had the same budget put into it. This is an exaggerated example, but the SPI armor the Spartan IIIs used was "newer," but it was totally mass-production gear done on the cheap.

I always felt the Spartan-II's MJOLNIR armor was an evolution of their Mark IV armor without shielding, so it had to be more armored and bulkier. Mark V and Mark VI (and Mark VII I guess?) did get sleaker but still maintained the bulk of the bulk (heh), even after energy shielding was added.

The GEN2 was designed from the ground up with shielding in mind, so I would guess they'd put more emphasis on mobility and ease of use for the Spartan-IV's. Also, since they're not as strong as Spartan-II's, maybe the lighter weight helps?

shandy706

That huge sea creature/fish in the underwater area screenshot!

I'm going to be too busy looking at stuff to play this game.

Vinc

They've always been so good at getting me excited for Halo games. Really good stuff, I like what I'm hearing. I liked the beta a lot last year and I can't wait to get back into it, but I'm even more excited for the campaign stuff. Free DLC support is also most welcome. Great stuff! :D

Because we can explain complex nuanced things in print that would be lost, distorted or deliberately misrepresented from e3 chaos. And GI doesn't have any of the E3 materials so you will get to double dip on fresh info.

Also GI is massive and will be in a lot of people's homes and e-mail inboxes. I think a lot of people don't realize as a publication how big GI actually is.

Makes sense for you guys to reveal that way, in fact GI gets huge reveals all of the time.

Because we can explain complex nuanced things in print that would be lost, distorted or deliberately misrepresented from e3 chaos. And GI doesn't have any of the E3 materials so you will get to double dip on fresh info.

Speaking of e3, Stinkles, golly it sure would be nice to watch the press conference on xbox live, but darn it all, I'm waiting on a third refurbished console from microsofts service center to arrive, and it will probably also be broken just like the last two they sent me that are supposedly 'certified' to work. I will now go through 4 Xbox Ones in just over a years time. 3 in the last two weeks alone. I guess its somehow cheaper to keep shipping defective consoles to me, than just ponying up for a new one. MS is so lucky they have Halo or I would completely drop them. So if Halo 5 is bad, which is sound like it wont be at least, then I cant justify buying an Xbox console ever again. Not after 5 360's and now 4 Xbox Ones. I'm starting to wish Halo was mutliplatform. Sad for me to say since I was one of the biggest xbox supporters since the original. sigh.

rokkerkory

MC is a true freak of nature then, damn!

shoreu

is this new game mode your adding involve AI's i'm getting a feeling that's what this new game type is going to be

All fresh material? Even the campaign demo/trailer that y'all will show?

I can't wait to see it. And I'm really likeing how you all decided to add multiple paths to complete the objective. That is something that I have always wanted more of in Halo games.

Frankie finally clarifying Spartan power levels. Aww yeah!

Now we just need Blue-Team in newer armor just to see how much (more) shit they wreck.

LordOfChaos

I wonder, do Locke and Co get anything beyond normal S4's? Since they're hunting the spartan, after all. Does Fireteam Majestic get the same armour upgrades, for instance?
They have not demonstrated it yet, but maybe get later armour upgrades?

Also, that would make for some interesting zero suit missions...

RdN

So, Xbox Live Gold IS required for coop campaign:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...egarding-halo-5-guardians-online-co-op-access

I need take a moment to make an important correction on something we miscommunicated in the story. I misspoke during the interview when stating that online co-op campaign would be supported with an Xbox Live Silver account. Co-op campaign will require Xbox Live Gold to play. I want to extend my sincere apologies to our fans, and to Game Informer, for this error and any confusion it has caused.

I imagine most people playing Halo 5 online in any form or fashion are going to be active gold subscribers.

On another topic: Is Buck a Spartan IV now? Or is that some sort of new ODST redesign?
Mwi9mux.png

They both have that chest protrusion / neck stabber thing.

Also I love that headshot symbol on buck's shoulder piece.
2LkhxJH.png

tootsi666

I imagine most people playing Halo 5 online in any form or fashion are going to be active gold subscribers.

On another topic: Is Buck a Spartan IV now? Or is that some sort of new ODST redesign?
Mwi9mux.png

2LkhxJH.png
Yes, Buck is an S-IV. It was revealed in New Blood.

Bsigg12

Mwi9mux.png

2LkhxJH.png

He's a Spartan IV.

Mwi9mux.png

2LkhxJH.png

Yup, Buck is a Spartan now. Happened in New Blood.

Gestault

I'm actually surprised how slowly, relative to the initial news, the correction about online co-op requiring Gold has hit us. Particularly with, you know, Stinkles in the conversation.

Top Bottom