• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

PooBone

I'll take any of H4's scripted sequences over H3's rage inducing Cortana-aneurisms.

Sheesh.... that's a good point. At least those were kinda rare. Once or twice a level until you get to the Ark. (The Cortana level was my least favorite of the original trilogy)

But in Halo 4 there's lots of "go here, press this button" lazy objective types and it just grinds any kind of flow to a halt. Every single objective may as well be "hit this hot spot and have control taken away for a few seconds."

After watching The Sprint I almost felt bad about how I initially responded to the E3 showing. They clearly worked really damn hard on it. I didn't say I hated it, I just said I hoped it wasn't representative of the campaign as a whole, seeing as how scripted it appeared to be. Either way I'm not personally worried about it, I'll likely play through the campaign once and be done with it. Arena is what I'm salivating for, Warzone is what I'm interested to try.

Luckily it sounds like it will still be what a lot of Halo fans want, thanks to the elucidation brought about by Stinkles.

I feel the same about the campaign, but I'm not even the slightest bit excited for multiplayer. I've moved on since MCC. Always been a bigger campaign guy and I probably only played 150 or so matches of H4.

On a side note that Warzone trailer didn't do much of anything except confuse me. It looked like I was watching footage of firefight mode.

Agree, especially after a whopping E3 opening, the premier gaming conference of them all should have caused a boost in the sales chart, like a lot of titles, but this doesn't surprise me. I would tend to say there is interest in online forums since more people who enjoy the game are active and want to provide input, but talking to people online in MCC, and more in the community, I would say excitement is moot, and I feel a lot of people have moved on from the franchise especially after the beta. I think people used to get excited when they heard anything Halo, but since 343, that excitement is just not there anymore with their direction.

Honestly, i just find that not enough emphasis is put on graphics in this series. Id love to see Halo look more gritty, more real. Maybe see some intense weather effects, show storms, sand storms etc... I find that it still just looks too bright, too cartoony. When i see the game, if you would have told me Bungie made it, id believe it. And thats part of the problem for me. I wanted 343 to make it its own beast, but also make it more real/gritty and that hasnt happened. Thats been disappointing for me. Ill still play it though.

AfroDust

It was an E3 demo. Almost ALL E3 demos are like that. The game has TONS of very wide open spaces and MORE multi-route approaches than ever before, and a matrix of options created by squad and co-op mechanics.

And with the bolded - come on dude, you KNOW I'm in here having a conversation with you.

Fuck the haters, man. I'm VERY happy with the direction you guys are taking the franchise and I appreciate all the hard work you guys are doing at 343. Entitled complaining neckbeards be damned.

I still can't believe they took out split screen co-op. I really would like to know their reasoning for this. Not only is it disappointing, it's even infuriating. Since Halo: CE I've always played the campaign on split screen co-op and now suddenly 343i thinks it's better to replace a co-op buddy with AI controlled characters. How cheap of them.

They (343) are literally the worst thing to happen to Halo.

PooBone

Honestly, i just find that not enough emphasis is put on graphics in this series. Id love to see Halo look more gritty, more real. Maybe see some intense weather effects, show storms, sand storms etc... I find that it still just looks too bright, too cartoony. When i see the game, if you would have told me Bungie made it, id believe it. And thats part of the problem for me. I wanted 343 to make it its own beast, but also make it more real/gritty and that hasnt happened. Thats been disappointing for me. Ill still play it though.

I actually think the game looks great, and it's doing things on a large scale. Technically it seems impressive to me. The problem I have is in the art-style, the silhouettes of enemies, the way the forerunner buildings, structures, and tech look like Transformers more than alien from halo 4 onward. There used to be a sleekness to those buildings that is no absent. Everything in the game that is forerunner-related looks like Mass Effect to me, now. Beveled edges and such. Bleh!

krang

I still can't believe they took out split screen co-op. I really would like to know their reasoning for this. Not only is it disappointing, it's even infuriating. Since Halo: CE I've always played the campaign on split screen co-op and now suddenly 343i thinks it's better to replace a co-op buddy with AI controlled characters. How cheap of them.

They felt honouring the 60fps pledge for all players was better than retaining a feature used by some players.

AfroDust

If I'm not mistaken the reasoning was that they couldn't maintain a decent framerate with it on or something. Either way, I'm not sure why everyones upset. I didn't even know local split screen was something many people did anymore.

PooBone

Fuck the haters, man. I'm VERY happy with the direction you guys are taking the franchise and I appreciate all the hard work you guys are doing at 343. Entitled complaining neckbeards be damned.

Not sure you know what a neckbeard is, which seems impossible since the description is right there in the word itself.

If I'm not mistaken the reasoning was that they couldn't maintain a decent framerate with it on or something. Either way, I'm not sure why everyones upset. I didn't even know local split screen was something many people did anymore.

Maybe you're right. They probably did a fair share of market research (lol) before making that call. I can only speak for myself personally. Hugely disappointed in that feature being removed.

I actually think the game looks great, and it's doing things on a large scale. Technically it seems impressive to me. The problem I have is in the art-style, the silhouettes of enemies, the way the forerunner buildings, structures, and tech look like Transformers more than alien from halo 4 onward. There used to be a sleekness to those buildings that is no absent. Everything in the game that is forerunner-related looks like Mass Effect to me, now. Beveled edges and such. Bleh!

Thats true about the scale part. But Bungie also said that every time they made a Halo game and yet, the areas always felt like long ass corridors to me with small firefight areas every once in a while. To me, if youre going to talk about scale and big battles, then i wanna see large open areas. Not large areas with 2 roads to choose from. I dunno, maybe im just expecting too much.

PooBone

Thats true about the scale part. But Bungie also said that every time they made a Halo game and yet, the areas always felt like long ass corridors to me with small firefight areas every once in a while. To me, if youre going to talk about scale and big battles, then i wanna see large open areas. Not large areas with 2 roads to choose from. I dunno, maybe im just expecting too much.

WHuuuuuuuuuu?
VehiclesFirst-large.jpg

Loved it too!!

Haha sorry about my typos! What is even more neat is that each Spartan in SP will have a different HUD.

Imagine Linda's.... O_O ...
Buck is about to be old school ODST style. Maybe similar to what we seen in ODST? ;)

Now with all the different helments we can customize, does anyone think some of these helmets will feature different HUDs? :O! *GASP*

I also look forward to see the new assassination animations! Ah man, this is going to be fun!

Okay, last thing. I'm making a bet we hear about a Warzone BETA before Halo 5 release. Just to stress test the 24 player count in the real world. We've only made Arena better for them essentially right? And i think if i remember correctly, they mentioned something about 'stress testing before release' in some interview with Josh Homles. .. ahh anyone remember that?

Have you played any Halo game before? o_O

Okay, last thing. I'm making a bet we hear about a Warzone BETA before Halo 5 release. Just to stress test the 24 player count in the real world. We've only made Arena better for them essentially right? And i think if i remember correctly, they mentioned something about 'stress testing before release' in some interview with Josh Homles. .. ahh anyone remember that?

I will take that bet. No more Betas. :p

AfroDust

Not sure you know what a neckbeard is, which seems impossible since the description is right there in the word itself.

I know the term describes their appearance but I was also under the impression that the term described a group of nitpicky people that were impossible to please. Maybe I heard the wrong definition. My bad.

[/QUOTE] Maybe you're right. They probably did a fair share of market research (lol) before making that call. I can only speak for myself personally. Hugely disappointed in that feature being removed.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I know for me personally its been awhile since I've done any form of cooperative or competitive play locally. Hell, I don't know anyone with a current gen console who even owns more than one controller, so the ire the announcement that split screen was gone drew surprised me.

Have you played any Halo game before? o_O

I have, ive played them all. Maybe im just not being clear. To me, i like it when i can start a mission and go wherever i want. Like ODST for example. Halo rarely does that for its SP games. Yes the maps might be big, but they always feel somewhat empty and like im being guided. Maybe what i really want isnt a Halo game at all.

Gestault

I have, ive played them all. Maybe im just not being clear. To me, i like it when i can start a mission and go wherever i want. Like ODST for example. Halo rarely does that for its SP games. Yes the maps might be big, but they always feel somewhat empty and like im being guided. Maybe what i really want isnt a Halo game at all.

You want a non-linear game, more of a sand-box approach to the design.

AfroDust

Maybe you're right. They probably did a fair share of market research (lol) before making that call. I can only speak for myself personally. Hugely disappointed in that feature being removed.

Still learning to use gaf on my phone. Sorry for the fucked up quote.

Yeah, i want a mission to start and then just have the game let me go where i want. I dont wanna start a mission in a huge area but then the game just drops me a tank cause a lot of enemy tanks are gonna be on that long bridge. It just feels too scripted even with its big areas.

Edit: Honestly if they just had a system where there was randomly generated enemies (including vehicles) in every mission, that would be so much more interesting to me. And after the mission, if you liked how it got generated you could save it and replay or share it with other. That to me is interesting.

PooBone

That's what I thought. Doesn't really sound much like a Halo game. Perhaps MGS5 is more up your alley. The 40 minute demo they put out today is quite impressive and kinda hits exactly on what VincentMatt's talking about.

iMax

giphy.gif

Far Cry 4.

Far Cry 4.

Yeah i guess. I basically want "Silent Cartographer", but bigger and more fleshed out through the game. People still rave about that level. It just started you out on an island, gave you a jeep and they were like, ok go where you want. Thats what i want more of. That one level they did amazingly and never did again.

It didnt spoon feed you, or put a rocket launcher on the floor cause you're about to need it, it let you figure it out. Halo needs to do more of that imo.

HTupolev

Yeah i guess. I basically want "assault on the control room", but bigger and more fleshed out through the game. People still rave about that level. It just started you out on an island, gave you a jeep and they were like, ok go where you want. Thats what i want more of. That one level they did amazingly and never did again.
Assault on the Control Room is the daytime romp through the snowy chasms. The level you're describing is Silent Cartographer.

(People rave about both, though.)

PooBone

Yeah i guess. I basically want "Silent Cartographer", but bigger and more fleshed out through the game. People still rave about that level. It just started you out on an island, gave you a jeep and they were like, ok go where you want. Thats what i want more of. That one level they did amazingly and never did again.

It didnt spoon feed you, or put a rocket launcher on the floor cause you're about to need it, it let you figure it out. Halo needs to do more of that imo.

Hard to argue with that.

Trup1aya

They've stated why they've scrapped split screen co-op... They couldn't maintain the the 60fps and render the scene twice on one machine... So they focused on what gamers have proven to value more over time.

HTupolev

Heh; ironically, Silent Cartographer is the only level in the game that is explicit about doing that. Cortana literally says that the pelican that brings the rocket launcher was requested because you're fighting hunters.

It's handled pretty naturally, though, and the rocket launcher isn't really that crucial.

One of my favorite "you will need this"-based weapon placements is the shotgun on 343 Guilty Spark. The game actually pushes it farther back in the level on higher difficulties.

boltz

I remember that feeling from Far Cry and the first Crysis. Hope Halo 5 can do it too.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A Halo reveal and only 15 pages...Times really are changing. I think MS is going to wish they had heavily invested in some new IP

There are about five rotating topics including this one and because it's gaf, the inaccurate micro transactions one has the most momentum.

There are about five rotating topics including this one and because it's gaf, the inaccurate micro transactions one has the most momentum.

Stinkles I might be pretty over this franchise and though I was willing to let E3 convince me otherwise(which it didn't) I want to say that regardless of that you are one of my favorite community managers ever. Its also a bit of a secret that your funny as hell over in the OT

solis74

Just finished all 4 sprint videos, and i have to say bravo 343, such a talented bunch of staff passionate about there jobs. I cant wait to play the finished product.

Proelite

A Halo reveal and only 15 pages...Times really are changing. I think MS is going to wish they had heavily invested in some new IP

Yeah, I doubt it'll sell enough to recoup the dev costs.

Considering that Halo 4 sold 9? million on a install base of 80 million, Halo 5 will be fortunate to reach 2 million on Xbox One.

It'll be the biggest sales flop of the new generation!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Do you have to push lots of buttons in the campaign? And if so, does camera control get taken away each time ala Halo 4, or does the action just happen instantly ala Halo 1 through Reach?

no offense, but i always found this to be among the silliest things to complain about in halo 4 :p

rokkerkory

Our final resolution will be the result of final polish, iteration and significant optimization. You should expect ALL our IQ to improve before launch. There's zero permanent resolution information to take away from E3.

There's not that much time left unless polishing starts now. Doesn't it take at least a month for quality checks and production?

My take? 792p

There's not that much time left unless polishing starts now. Doesn't it take at least a month for quality checks and production?

My take? 792p

So far i havent seen a 60fps shooter with big scale on XboxOne thats above the 720-792p range...

I really hope they can achieve higher. But i doubt it :/

Top Bottom