• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

Thretau

I'm thinking about getting myself Xbox One next month. I have always loved the Halo series but I've only ever played the single player campaign except for 4 player splitscreen in Halo:CE.

None of my friends own Xbox One and does not plan on getting one. Is Halo MP fun while just playing solo with random people? I'm thinking about diving into Halo 5 MP. Even in general I have very little experience in console online multiplayer.

solis74

Just watched Sprint Episode 2, brilliant stuff with some minor story spoilers and snippets of new SP footage and cut scenes.

I'm thinking about getting myself Xbox One next month. I have always loved the Halo series but I've only ever played the single player campaign except for 4 player splitscreen in Halo:CE.

None of my friends own Xbox One and does not plan on getting one. Is Halo MP fun while just playing solo with random people? I'm thinking about diving into Halo 5 MP. Even in general I have very little experience in console online multiplayer.

Warzone will be right up your alley in that regard.

It seems very casual to ease players into an MP environment and get them used to that sandbox.

TBLFordy

Banned
60 is more impressive than 30.

In that it's a bigger number.

When you are looking at 720p, aliasing issues all over the place etc I'm not sure, for me anyway, it's such an impressive feat.

I'm weird though, I'll take 1080p @30fps with super shiny shit over 720p/900p @60fps any day.

Edit - Just to clarify, I am basing numbers on the beta and inital counts on B3D and observations on B-Roll footage from Xbox Media.

solis74

From Waypoint forum.

The Legendary Weapons that are confirmed are:
Arbiter's unique Type-1 Energy Sword, "The Prophet's Bane".
Spartan-087's unique M45 Tactical Shotgun, "Kelly's Shotgun". (Rename: "Rabbit's Rampage")
Spartan-058's unique SRS99-S5 AM Sniper Rifle, "Linda's Sniper Rifle". (Rename: "The Remarkable")
????'s unique M41 Rocket Launcher, "The Jackhammer". (Reallocated ????: ODST Edward Buck's)
Possible Talk about a Halo: Combat Evolved Magnum...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So no steitzer in Warzone?

nope. probably so that he wouldn't get in the way of the female announcers (palmer?) game mode specific chatter. but heres hoping hes been reworked a bit from the beta incarnation. was he in the conan gameplay segment of fathom?

PooBone

The thing I hated most about Halo 4, the constant removal of control to do some stupid cinematic scripted action, is even more prevalent by the look of things. I want to see open battlefields, combat that is free-form and different every time, with multiple options and angles for approach.

Instead we get Call of Duty: Purple, and they remove split screen co-op, the series' most valuable feature to many.

Fuck you, 343.

The thing I hated most about Halo 4, the constant removal of control to do some stupid cinematic scripted action, is even more prevalent by the look of things. I want to see open battlefields, combat that is free-form and different every time, with multiple options and angles for approach.

Instead we get Call of Duty: Purple, and they remove split screen co-op, the series' most valuable feature to many.

Fuck you, 343.

They've already said that's how the majority of campaign is, and the campaign sample they chose was for the simplicity of a playable demo and to show off graphics and squad control.

PooBone

They've already said that's how the majority of campaign is, and the campaign sample they chose was for the simplicity of a playable demo and to show off graphics and squad control.

They showed something similar for Halo 4 at E3 and that game turned out the be something of a disasterpiece for me. That game was a gussied up hallway shooter with lots and lots and LOTS of scripted "game stops, you automatically look here" moments. This game was supposed to correct a lot of problems with that game but they appear to be doubling down on the absolute worst elements (imo) while at the same time removing features.

Any word yet who's doing the music? I guess it's out of the realm of hope to keep throwing Marty O'Donnell's name out there, given he has opened a new studio.

EDIT: As for Warzone, why would I want to have to shoot those annoying ass "crawlers" in multiplayer? This is my favorite franchise of all time and I want to be hyped like I was for Halo 2/3/ODST/Reach/4 but they have taken absolutely zero steps in any direction that I can get behind and excited for. Hopefully I'm wrong.

solis74

And also if you actually watch the Sprint episodes they not only say that, but also that they will have 'less scripted moments where the player has no control in that moment' and put the played in control of those epic moments :)

The episodes have so much info, and it has me even more hyped for Halo 5, i cant wait till October!!!!!!

It's in episode 2.

Kelly's Shotgun and Linda's Sniper Rifle.

As well as concept art for the Fall of Reach animated series.

18929223551_df5314077c_c.jpg

18926331165_f34d7c18b5_c.jpg

18303779344_df0edd6835_b.jpg

18900063196_7d23a2acc7_b.jpg

18738673338_95003193af_b.jpg

18921053552_0fb5deb119_b.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i love that kelly's shotgun says "remember reach". nice touch!

Glass

Are these Sprint episodes on Youtube or is watching it on Xbox One the only way?

It's only on the Halo Channel for now, so the options are either Xbox One, or a Windows 8/8.1 device with the Halo Channel App installed.

Am I being nitpicky or does Locke look a little short for a s̶t̶o̶r̶m̶t̶r̶o̶o̶p̶e̶r̶ spartan?

eO65rot.jpg

Bsigg12

It's only on the Halo Channel for now, so the options are either Xbox One, or a Windows 8/8.1 device with the Halo Channel App installed.

Am I being nitpicky or does Locke look a little short for a s̶t̶o̶r̶m̶t̶r̶o̶o̶p̶e̶r̶ spartan?

eO65rot.jpg

They're not Spartan IIs, they're going to be a normal height.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
WTF???

Halo 4 included Spartan Ops, which even if it wasn't as fun as firefight, it was a noble attempt at expanding on the concept.

Campaign Theater was absent probably due to deadlines. Also, when a modder adds something, it doesn't mean he/she tested that it works for all instances. Maybe campaign theater takes a shit in plenty of scenarios and cutting back on the SP campaign for the theater isn't a worthy tradeoff.

Halo 4 is the most cinematic experience of them all. It set a standard for real time visual cinematics next gen.

More like sexy Cortana.

The new enemies were pretty cool IMHO.

Yes, I feel that beyond Narrows, no map introduced in Halo 4 is a classic.

The story was not terrible, but the requirements to follow it were indeed fucking ridiculous.

The decline in population was also due to the competitive in FPS scene nowadays. The days of Halo 2, Halo 3 or MW4 are long gone. No game can be that dominant anymore.

Spartan Ops, which I failed to list, was the biggest disappointment about Halo 4. We were promised an ongoing story that went the game. We got that, but it was so badly handled. Repeated environments. Levels overfilled with with too many enemies. Terrible objectives. Terrible writing and dialogue. The hubris of calling it Season 1, expecting to do second season.

Spartan Ops is like a vertical slice of Halo 4's worst issues.

Also, no need to defend 343 here. No need to tell me about theatre and what modders can do versus developers. I know all that. Campaign theatre was cut well before ship as they knew they couldn't get it ready on time then they kept quiet about it.

Halo 4's cutscenes are pretty. I'll give you that. But pretty means nothing in the long run. Some of the cutscenes are very impressive, but they support a lacklustre and confusing and honestly not really good story.

I don't buy the excuses people make for Halo 4's shitty population decline. Not blaming the game is giving them a free pass. Halo 4's multiplayer is genuinely bad. Looking at Halo 5's multiplayer, it's clear the developers agree considering they have changed so much about it in the transition.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I almost always play matchmaking solo - and actually so does the majority of the player base. This is likely true for most competitive MP console games. And of course it's MORE fun when you team up with chums.

Stinkles

Fuck you, 343.

It was an E3 demo. Almost ALL E3 demos are like that. The game has TONS of very wide open spaces and MORE multi-route approaches than ever before, and a matrix of options created by squad and co-op mechanics.

And with the bolded - come on dude, you KNOW I'm in here having a conversation with you.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Are there any "cinematic moments" in the game similar to the QTE events at the start and end of Halo 4 and the odd missile cam sequence on that one level?

Stinkles

Are there any "cinematic moments" in the game similar to the QTE events at the start and end of Halo 4 and the odd missile cam sequence on that one level?

More like Halo's traditional storytelling vignettes. They'll transition in to reveal or propel plot elements. If you played the whole of that Campaign level (apart from being much, much less "scripted") you'd have a more meaningful context for the bridge collapse.

It was an E3 demo. Almost ALL E3 demos are like that. The game has TONS of very wide open spaces and MORE multi-route approaches than ever before, and a matrix of options created by squad and co-op mechanics.

And with the bolded - come on dude, you KNOW I'm in here having a conversation with you.

They don't care... they just don't care :(. A quick question, will we see the Master Chief's campaign perspective at Gamescom? And maybe some new multiplayer stuff? Please :).

Stinkles

Any directfeed 60fps videos?

Also...Is it still 720p or is the game at 900p or higher now?

Our final resolution will be the result of final polish, iteration and significant optimization. You should expect ALL our IQ to improve before launch. There's zero permanent resolution information to take away from E3.

Proelite

Our final resolution will be the result of final polish, iteration and significant optimization. You should expect ALL our IQ to improve before launch. There's zero permanent resolution information to take away from E3.

Besides IQ, and resolution, is it possible that we can potentially see updates to other aspect of the graphics?

Any image quality improvements without sacrificing frame rate sounds good to me :).

TheOddOne

My skepticism aside of the E3 showpiece, it was really cool to see how it was build behind the scenes—especially showing how bugs can come out of nowhere and put a wrench in production. Also appreciated that the Creative Director at least went on record that the E3 presentation was slice-of to show the new things within the game. Still, I don’t feel they hit the goals they were setting out to achieve. It, kind of, made it look like a generic game, while there probably more going on that is much more exiting.

Sounds good, with emphasis on the 'sounds'. Can we at least get a hint of when we'll actually see this in action, or are we gonna have to wait till launch?

Any directfeed 60fps videos?

Also...Is it still 720p or is the game at 900p or higher now?

That question won't have a proper answer until much later in the year. That said, (just guesses and tales from my arse) I'd expect 900p/60 to be where they land. Should be a very good blend of IQ and playability at that res/frame rate.

Top Bottom