• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 getting its biggest update soon, thoughts on post release support?

Sanjuro

I want remakes of Halo 3 maps that make tweaks for Halo 5's sandbox. Rather than just doing straight remakes and trying to make it play like Halo 3.

That's why the Halo CE pistol is so damn perfect. It really doesn't break the formula, but it adds what made the game great and memorable and it works.

Halo 3 would be more about the maps as the weapons really aren't standouts.

Nope not even close.

-Molasses movement
-Projectile weapons on P2P connection
-High TTK due to said projectile weapons
-Equipment inflating already bad TTK, having no indication if a player is holding equipment
-Poor map design with over reliance on shield doors/gravity lifts.
-Half the weapons in the sandbox were useless, this was due in part to duel wield balancing.
-AR starts which consisted of people running at each other for simultaneous melees.

I put it below 4 and Reach gameplay wise, it's only slightly better overall since it has even starts. The game was only palatable in MLG settings. Halo 3 started the MP decline, Halo 5 is the game that brought it back.
This is true
But people are still clambering for a H3A, and its the most played game in MCC
200.gif

Pat

Confirmed:
-SERVER BROWSER (Yes you can now browse for custom games on XBO/PC)

As someone who bought a XBO only for Halo 5 and decided to sell it for my new PC:

AWWW YISSSSSSSSSS

Kill3r7

This is true
200.gif

Not surprising considering it was most people's first Halo game. Personally, I always had more of a soft spot for Halo 2 because that is what my friends and I played in college but I understand why people love Halo 3.

Halo 5 MP is Halo at its best. Come at me bro.

While there will be people who disagree with you, this isn't an uncommon sentiment. It's my personal favorite MP wise.

This is true

If it's not the stability or low population that ruins the MCC for me, it's the people who vote for Halo 3 in the cross game playlists.

While there will be people who disagree with you, this isn't an uncommon sentiment. It's my personal favorite MP wise.

If it's not the stability or low population that ruins the MCC for me, it's the people who vote for Halo 3 in the cross game playlists.

Ya me too. Those crappy halo3 guns are just no fun

clav

MCC needs fixing.

Every damn time, home slice. CE was my first Halo but damn it if I don't enjoy 3's multiplayer.

I prefer 1 + 2 more.

3's campaign + multiplayer did not age well.

Halo 5 MP is Halo at its best.

Every "decent" map is like a carbon clone copy of Halo 2's Midship.

Still mixed on it.

Definitely better than 3's.

I think my opinion is influenced on what my friends did as we all played Halo 1 + 2 together. Those online moments became fewer as we aged. Now no one in my friend circle plays Halo (5). Everyone is playing the latest casual appealing multiplayer game, which is now Overwatch.

I was disappointed with Halo 5 at launch. Campaign was too co-op focused by design and multiplayer lacked content.

At some point, probably when they added Warzone Firefight, the whole thing just clicked. There were enough maps and game modes to keep my attention for long periods of time and since then it has only gotten better.

They even rebalanced the campaign, which doesn't fix all the issues I have with it but it did make my Legendary solo run more fun.

Multiplayer is the best it has ever been for me, which is difficult to admit as I was really upset when split screen was dropped.

All this post launch support is great, and I'm glad the community is healthy enough to sustain it.

My only wish was for singleplayer DLC. I feel like Halo 5 had a lot of backstory and side stories that could've been told through DLC.

With the amount of support that's being put into Forge one has to think that forge creations can be ported over in Halo 6. I don't think it'd make much sense to do all of this work just for Halo 5. Sure it'll help sustain population in 5, but is that alone worth the development cost?

singhr1

I think i have ~8 days of multiplayer game time now?

I believe that's more than any other FPS for me and I've played every Halo game. This is all while struggling thru med school and adult life. I'd say it's post-launch support definitely kept my interest :p

With the amount of support that's being put into Forge one has to think that forge creations can be ported over in Halo 6. I don't think it'd make much sense to do all of this work just for Halo 5. Sure it'll help sustain population in 5, but is that alone worth the development cost?

A substantial amount of the goodwill 343i has garnered as a result of their post-H5 launch support would be eroded if the H5 Forge assets don't carry over to H6 and beyond.

Velikost

Is this really the biggest update? I guess that's subjective, but I feel Warzone Firefight or the PC Forge update were more substantial.

Regardless though, I'd say I'm pleased with the support 343 has brought to the game, but I say that as a huge Halo fan and a supporter of the base game. I think the core gameplay was so good it was easier to let 343 off the hook for how bare the launch game kind of was. I completely understand why people took issue with it (no BTB, no PvE, subpar map selection), and I had my own problems with some of the maps and the REQ system, but I can't really complain with free support. I'm very interested to see what they do to the PC version and how the custom browser works out though. Performance felt off somehow, despite my PC being more than capable to handle the game; I think someone theorized it was similar to how Forza handles asset streaming and decryption with the weird W10 app security. Hopefully the experience feels much smoother and they add an in-depth performance graph option ala Gears 4.

I seriously hope 343 have learned a lot from this though, and Halo 6 launches in a much better way.

SilentRob

This is the bright side of micro transactions. The post-launch support Halo 5 got for more than a year now is incredible and - in my opinion - well worth the implementation of those micro transactions.

Is this really the biggest update? I guess that's subjective, but I feel Warzone Firefight or the PC Forge update were more substantial.

I don't think it will be 343i caimed WZ Firefight was there biggest update and anything released after that would be smaller updates for the game overall. They did say this will be the largest forge update to date though. I'm guessing some of those leaked gametypes might be in future updates.

This is the bright side of micro transactions. The post-launch support Halo 5 got for more than a year now is incredible and - in my opinion - well worth the implementation of those micro transactions.
imo, the only thing microtransactions have given us for free are maps, they wouldnt dare make server browsing and forge payable dlc.

imo, the only thing microtransactions have given us for free are maps, they wouldnt dare make server browsing and forge payable dlc.

Getting away from paid maps is certainly what microtransactions were intended for, but it probably makes it easier to justify other types of development with that sustained cash cow.

Nothing beats Halo 3 BTB

Avalanche is the only good thing to come out of Halo 3 BTB and that was a CE spiritual successor.

LQX

I had no idea you could play Halo 5 multiplayer on PC. Just wasted like 100GB worth of bandwidth downloading it only for the MP on the XB1 like a day ago.

depward

Halo is the only FPS series that I really enjoy. I was hesitant with its focus on the competitive aspect but feel like it was a worthwhile evolution of the core Halo gameplay.

The support has been great. REQs must make a decent amount of money. Plus you would think Microsoft would in some capacity support the Xbox's most notable brand.

Kudos to 343i for the support! Will also voice some disappointment of some of the maps but appreciate adding new maps into the rotation.

SilentRob

That wasn't what I was trying to say: They just wouldn't be working on this game in this capacy at this point. There would be no server browser, forge stuff, free new modes, maps etc. etc. All of this is a direct consequence of the revenue stream generated by the micro transactions, allowing them to have a team continously working on these improvements. Sure, maps would probably instead just be DLC, but all of the Forge stuff or this Server Browser? You probably just wouldn't see this kind of stuff but at the same time takes a lot of time and money to develop.

Getting away from paid maps is certainly what microtransactions were intended for, but it probably makes it easier to justify other types of development with that sustained cash cow.

Avalanche is the only good thing to come out of Halo 3 BTB and that was a CE spiritual successor.

lol Avalanche was only good in CTF and it's not even the best of the BTB maps.

Dinjoralo

Well, I guess I should try this out when the update hits, though I'm still not happy with this whole 'piecemeal PC release' bollocks.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Hope the aiming improvements mean they upped the aim assist a bit. SWATNUMS is just...not good compared to how Halo 4 SWAT felt using the pistol.

Don't even get me started on the DMR.

blamite

Please please please for the love of god just put Oddball in matchmaking already. In its own dedicated playlist if possible.

Hope the aiming improvements mean they upped the aim assist a bit. SWATNUMS is just...not good compared to how Halo 4 SWAT felt using the pistol.

Don't even get me started on the DMR.
Its not a problem with the aim assist. Its a problem with the base aiming. Halo 5 just feels sluggish and unresponsive compared to any other halos aiming

Halo chess before king of the hill
They really have their prioritys straight

Yeah I was probably wrong. The megalo thing makes much more sense. Dont see them just adding chess rather than adding megalo so people can just make chess (along with whatever else they want). I mean when the community handles most of the post launch support, why stop a good thing lol.

lol Avalanche was only good in CTF and it's not even the best of the BTB maps.

Avalanche is easily one of the best designed maps in Halo 3.

-Valhalla's movement is shit due to a contested middle that becomes a giant choke point.
-Sandtrap is competitively flawed in objective playlists with asymmetric bases. It's an absolute chore to navigate on foot.
- Standoff is a cluster fuck due to its size and grenade spam in the rocky middle. It often devolved with one team quitting while the other circled the base in warthogs.
-Last Resort is okay, but a downgrade of Zanzibar, movement doesn't flow nearly as well due to the added catwalks, etc.
-Longshore is pretty great, a semi assymmetric map where no base has an overt advantage, plays well in all game types though is limited on vehicle play.

Avalanche is completely symmetric which is great for objective. It has defined vehicle and infantry lanes that give players quite a few options in navigation. Gaining a power position like the mid hill doesn't halt all map flow thanks to teleporters, vehicle lanes and man cannons. It's perfectly suited for slayer flipping spawns doesn't lead to the enemy team spawning right behind you. It's far and away the best BTB map in Halo 3 and the best in Halo period, its design works well in modern Halo as well.

Top Bottom