• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Beta Thread | Hot Red on Blue Action

Leyasu

Banned
thing is, i wouldnt judge the final game, and how it matches you on local servers, based on this beta. firstly, there isnt a huge player base, and secondly (presumably) the game is trying to match quickly not necessarily for best connection. matchmaking likely has a wide "net" for trying to match games as quickly as possible with a small player base. same arguments could be made for matchmaking by skill.

i think you guys are fighting the good fight, but the way halo does its skill system, i highly doubt they'll segregate users into data centers. i'd expect it to work far better at launch, even without though. if it is a make or break, hold off till you hear impressions post launch of how matchmaking has improved.

As someone else posted, Josh Holmes said that the game will automatically place you into the closest, lowest ping datacenter. So they have atleast thought of the experience. Ranked games are pointless playing out of region period.

And working better at launch would mean that 100% of the games are played at the closest datacenter. So just let us choose. Or put social games there. No mater what they do, they cannot overcome the laws of physics. A game played with huge pings will still be terrible.

The game wont be worth buying if we are at the mercy of automatic server selection. I am sure that I am not alone in saying that either.

Sanpei

Now lets hope for a Halo 5 that's lag-free, less similar to COD...

because of lag sometimes i needed to fire the whole magazine while the opponent killed me like 3-4 bullets...It's frustrating...

Celestia

How come everyone who crusades for universal BR starts never offers a reason why other than "its terrible" if you want a BR, run to where they spawn and grab one. It's not exactly the worst thing in the world when the maps are littered with precision weapons.

I played a game earlier and felt completely useless because I had to compete with not only the enemy team, but my team picking up all the precision weapons. This was especially true on the forge world maps. You can't fight against a dmr or br user at range with a pistol. It sucks.

Is anyone else still playing? At 3am EST it said "General Availability period is over. If you have VIP access to play past this period then please reconnect." So quit the build and loaded it back up and I am still able to play.

Edit: It is almost 5:30am EST and I am still playing.

Laws00

As much as I didnt think much of the beta, I thought it was ok

I had gotten so use to climbing i found myself trying to climb everything in halo 4 lol

damn i missed this thread, i will just paste what i said in halo ot, hopefully 343 are read this.

after thoroughly playing the beta now for weeks here is my overview of positive and negatives. i cant emphasis the br/ar starts enough, unless this is confirmed to be in slayer i WONT buy the game i kid u not.

+ power weapons being announced when spawned, this is great, leads to a rush for them

+ no friendly fire, this is good addition

+ spartan chatter, this is awesome because hardly anyone uses mic so its useful to know whats going on

+ feel of the guns, they have a real punch to them which is good

+ the new abilities feel good, clamber makes a real difference in navigation and is solid addition

+ br/ar starts feel AWESOME. seriously fuck ar/magnum, i literally stopped playing the game during this time. br is halo so we should be starting with it at all times

+ strongholds is great mode, it works well with that new map regret

- radar, should be changed to only show enemies when they fire gun. its no fun playing against a team that sticks together when u are in a team of randoms who just run around

- ads automatic weapons, they need to lower the range or remove ads from them

- ads, it clutters up the screen so we should be given an option to have classic halo scope

- resolution, its awful jaggies everywhere

- weapon tips, its hard to see weapons on the floor so would be useful if there was a sign or something to let us know

- br is ruined, doesnt feel or sound like burst weapon. i want the classic 3 burst sound back, that clack clack clack like in h3

- fov, been a problem in halo since h2, they need to sort this shit out

- base movement speed, its terribly slow they need to increase it by at least 20%

- controls, need to offer even more control schemes, h4 is the best one out the bunch but i would still like jump on lb

- killcams, i want the classic halo death screen back but an option to view killcams ie. press x to view killcam would be good

- grenade spam, 2 nades is too much should only start with 1

- running animation, its horrible, the amount of weapon sway is motion sickness inducing

- spartan posing, its tiring view the same shit i rather just view end game report

- commentator sounds weird

- intermission between games should be reduced to 30 seconds, 60 is way too long

IHaveIce

Banned
Cross post:

I will now also do a kind of Halo 5 Beta feedback post, I excuse my bad english and some errors:

-Basement Speed: If you don't sprint or thrust you move so absurdly slow it really would be better if it would be upped by 10 to 20%

-Sprint: Still not a fan, I think just faster movement speed would help, also the shaking of the cam during sprint is bad

-Thruster Unsure how I feel about it, still after the beta it is unclear to me if it should be in.

-Clamber: No issues at all, sometimes it doesn't work as planned but it is not game breaking at all

-Ground Pound, Charge and Slide: Didn't use these as often, which is a good sign, you don't need to do these moves to be good but they are nice tricks

-ADS/Smart Scope: Not a fan, it is not as bad as thought but I still prefer the classic look

-Weapons:
+BR feels alright, thogh sometimes I think I have hit 4 shots and there is no kill
+Automatics need a range nerf, their power is ok
+Pistol needs a buff
+Rocket launcher is awfully slow
+Sniper too easy to use
+The Beta had a too limited weapon pool, it is hard to say if the weapons are tuned right if we don't know how the Covenant weapons behave

-Maps:
+Truth: I don't think it works with all those movement options it is also too dark
+ Regret: Wqay better just give us some colour on the bases to know where we are
+Empire and Eden are both good IMO, may need some better weapon placements
+The Forge maps all in all didn't feel good, they were on the level of Reach's forge maps in the community playlist which were awful

-Gametypes:
+Slayer, yeah make it BR starts and everything is fine, BR/AR starts were the best in the beta.
+Breakout is awesome, but take out the BR. SMG and Pistol are enough
+Strongholds, I think there needs to be a neutral scoring time while capturing, not from red to blue immediately. I had lots of games which were 100 to 0, look at Destiny's Control gametype for more ideas

-Other Gameplay things:
+Radar has to be changed finally, there are so many better concepts out there
+FoV, give us a damn slider already
+No control scheme is kind of perfect for me, give me button mapping already
+show me with an icon above which weapon I stand for pick up, I don't want to read in a fast game
+Reduce grenades at spawn, or limit the pick up behavior, there is too much grenade spam going on
+Killcam change, make it the other way round, I look at my dead body first and can trigger the kill cam by a button

-Ranking System:
While a step in the right direction I think there is a lot work to be done. Hold judgement until release

-Other cool/bad stuff:
+Watching friends play through the roster is awesome
+Spartan chatter and posing comes of as really freaking dumb
+frame rate issues in Stronghold capture points
+the idea of remix maps is really nice.

All in all I reaaaaally liked the beta but it could be even better, I have high hopes for Halo 5 for now

Kampfheld

Banned
Going back to H2A again felt better than I thought it would. If only ... The position of the crosshair is totally killing me. It just feels wrong now.

JaggedSac

Can you explain to me how I'm supposed to even fight a team that has map control and with the BR's on the map when I have an AR? It's not a good starting weapon.

How come everyone who crusades for AR starts never offers a reason why other than "its refreshing or different" if you want an AR, run to where they spawn and grab one. It's not exactly the worst thing in the world when the maps can littered with automatic weapons.

Matches are more entertaining. BR starts affect the flow of the game where everyone turtles and cross map pecks each other. Not as fun imo. Gold rank matches were pretty close for me in pretty much all the matches I played yesterday. No blowouts from teams who managed to secure all the br/dmr/light rifle drops on the map, lol.

Tawpgun

Matches are more entertaining. BR starts affect the flow of the game where everyone turtles and cross map pecks each other. Not as fun imo. Gold rank matches were pretty close for me in pretty much all the matches I played yesterday. No blowouts from teams who managed to secure all the br/dmr/light rifle drops on the map, lol.
I think id rather watch destiny PvP over watching a competetive ar starts match

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Is anyone else still playing? At 3am EST it said "General Availability period is over. If you have VIP access to play past this period then please reconnect." So quit the build and loaded it back up and I am still able to play.

Edit: It is almost 5:30am EST and I am still playing.

i... didnt even think to try this.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Separate playlist. Proleets in one, scrubs in the other.
This, please 343i, just put BR starts on a seperate playlist. I don't want voting, it'll be impossible to play AR starts slayer with everyone choosing BR starts every goddamn time.

Tawpgun

Separate playlist. Proleets in one, scrubs in the other.

If it means I can spawn with a BR all the time then fine. But I don't like the idea of identical playlists and one being BR and one being AR.

A ranked/Social split with Ranked = BR's could be good.
Or the AR/BR compromise
Or just let people vote.

This, please 343i, just put BR starts on a seperate playlist. I don't want voting, it'll be impossible to play AR starts slayer with everyone choosing BR starts every goddamn time.

If you play with likeminded people they will vote for AR's. People in the lower ranks will tend to choose AR's also. There's already a lot more people then I've ever seen saying they prefer AR starts because the AR is powerful now. I don't think you'd have any issue with getting to play AR starts in a voting system.

wbarreda

1) they arent littered with them, especially if everyone goes for them 2) a good team can hold down a map with ranged weapons while you spawn with a shitty close/mid weapon only.

Shouldn't that team get rewarded for controlling the map/weapons though? Not advocate for AR starts but this has me perplexed.

GoodlifeX

I thought the beta was fine and everything but I still really hate the new announcer since 343 took over.

Dream scenario: They replace the Halo announcer with the Killer Instinct announcer .

"TRIIIIIPLE KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!"

"K-K-K-Killing Spree"

I thought the beta was fine and everything but I still really hate the new announcer since 343 took over.

Dream scenario: They replace the Halo announcer with the Killer Instinct announcer .

"TRIIIIIPLE KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!"

"K-K-K-Killing Spree"

It's the same announcer, which is the sad part. 343 just has him add all these weird inflections and add FX in post.

jem0208

It's the same announcer, which is the sad part. 343 just has him add all these weird inflections and add FX in post.

I actually really like the new announcer style. It took a bit to get used to it but I really like it now.

He's far more enthusiastic and I really like it. Even something like a double kill sounds great.

Also Purrrfect = GOAT.

op_ivy

Shouldn't that team get rewarded for controlling the map/weapons though? Not advocate for AR starts but this has me perplexed.

the same could be said for setting up for spawn camping. so no, i dont think this is how the game should reward good teamwork. map control should be for power weapons and control points, not by limiting the range at which a team can be effective.

GoodlifeX

Wow seriously?! I would never have figured they were the same person so I never bothered checking. I agree, some effects or intensity would be welcomed. CurrentlyI find him cringeworthy. Like someone trying to sound cool but really isn't.

Aeqvitas

BR starts should be its own playlist.

Default should be AR/Pistol. BR/DMR should be treated at low tier power weapons. There are plenty of them on maps, and games play better when every match isn't a BR fest with the occasional top tier power weapon. Why even bother designing 90% of the weapons when the BR is all people will use because they start with it and it is very powerful? It adds more to map control and strategy when there is AR/Pistol start. Everyone gets a base level precision weapon in the pistol, and the AR is a good workhorse.

Have that 1 separate playlist for BR slayer that people can choose.

I enjoy the BR as much as everyone else, but I think the game suffers when everyone has one, because it just becomes a pecking contest. I bet stats will show that on BR starts, the fewest weapons on the map are ever used. AR starts are more competitive and in spirit with Halo principles of map control for power weapons.

GoodlifeX

Honestly I feel like if South Park tried to do a parody of Halo. The announcer in the game would sound exactly like the one in Halo 5. It sounds a like the Rob Schneider movie voice from the parody movie trailers in South Park.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
BR starts should be its own playlist.

Default should be AR/Pistol. BR/DMR should be treated at low tier power weapons. There are plenty of them on maps, and games play better when every match isn't a BR fest with the occasional top tier power weapon. Why even bother designing 90% of the weapons when the BR is all people will use because they start with it and it is very powerful? It adds more to map control and strategy when there is AR/Pistol start. Everyone gets a base level precision weapon in the pistol, and the AR is a good workhorse.

Have that 1 separate playlist for BR slayer that people can choose.

I enjoy the BR as much as everyone else, but I think the game suffers when everyone has one, because it just becomes a pecking contest. I bet stats will show that on BR starts, the fewest weapons on the map are ever used. AR starts are more competitive and in spirit with Halo principles of map control for power weapons.

No. We don't need 300 God damned playlists. AR/BR start is the answer.

watership

1) they arent littered with them, especially if everyone goes for them 2) a good team can hold down a map with ranged weapons while you spawn with a shitty close/mid weapon only.

Everyone with a BR and Pistol is a boring game if you ask me. I like BR/AR together. Mix in that SMG and power weapons, you have a good game. Makes the BR complainers stop whining on threads too. :)

op_ivy

Everyone with a BR and Pistol is a boring game if you ask me. I like BR/AR together. Mix in that SMG and power weapons, you have a good game. Makes the BR complainers stop whining on threads too. :)

BR/AR was great. lots of people using both, when appropriate. i dropped BR for dmr and AR for SMG at most opportunities, but it was nice to spawn and feel like i didnt HAVE TO search out better weapons immediately.

Nutter

Week 3 was AR/BR...

Since Friday, it was AR starts.

Also whatever method they are using for map rotations needs work, playing the same map several times in a row when there are 6 maps in rotation is not good.

The game has a very clear skill gap and I absolutely love it. Bring on Fall 2015, Gaf customs/tournaments should be fun.

Week 1 was AR/pistol, week 2 was BRs, week 3 was AR/BR.

The final weekend was AR/pistols.

I stand corrected. My sense of time is invalid. Sorry.

Below, you’ll find the schedule for the Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta:

Week 1
Slayer (AR starts)
Week 2
Slayer (BR starts)
Breakout
Week 3
Slayer (AR and BR starts)
Breakout
Strongholds
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-5-guardians-multiplayer-beta-available-now'

I swear they started the BR starts on a Friday(2nd) and not a Monday. And the AR/Pistol toward the end of the beta lasted longer than 2/3 days... :(

jem0208

There were 3 weeks, and the final week was AR/pistol. Unless you're counting wrong. Either way the final week sucked.

Week 1 was AR/pistol, week 2 was BRs, week 3 was AR/BR.

The final weekend was AR/pistols.

I stand corrected. My sense of time is invalid. Sorry.

Below, you’ll find the schedule for the Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta:

Week 1
Slayer (AR starts)
Week 2
Slayer (BR starts)
Breakout
Week 3
Slayer (AR and BR starts)
Breakout
Strongholds
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...lo-5-guardians-multiplayer-beta-available-now

I swear they started the BR starts on a Friday(2nd) and not a Monday. And the AR/Pistol toward the end of the beta lasted longer than 2/3 days... :(

Literally one post up... :p

Top Bottom