• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Beta Thread | Hot Red on Blue Action

At least this hasn't dat shit custom loadout! :D

That's why Halo 5 is awesome!

it is indeed refreshing to know everyone is running around with the same shit.

I'm still not feeling it though. At times it really feels like "Halo 5" - a crisp and healthy new Halo game, but other times it feels as messy as Reach with a Halo 4 skin on top. The gameplay is so aimless to me so it's difficult to get a sense of how it flows.

You can't run around like this with BRs so that's why I want to spawn with them. We'll be able to see how the power positions work and how the spartan abilities mesh together during BR battles. This loop is the core of Halo, so if it isn't refined, the game will fall apart regardless of what you're spawning with.

I cant get into a match. Every time a game is about to start my screen starts flashing blue and it says there is a server error. I returned the original game because I could not get into matches but then got a deal on another copy just for the beta and now I can't play that either. Is everyone else having issues?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
it is indeed refreshing to know everyone is running around with the same shit.

I'm still not feeling it though. At times it really feels like "Halo 5" - a crisp and healthy new Halo game, but other times it feels as messy as Reach with a Halo 4 skin on top. The gameplay is so aimless to me so it's difficult to get a sense of how it flows.

It flows to dominant map positions and power weapons.

//ARCANUM

I have never had to do this. Perhaps there's a setting in preferences?

Just to clarify when I say hard reset I mean holding down the power button until the power brick goes orange and then powering on again. When I do this, 100% of the time it loses my wifi info.

It flows to dominant map positions and power weapons.

Only because the game tells you to go pick up the snipers. The places you want to be on Truth are obvious, but Empire to me seems to be artificially forcing movement only when power weapons spawn.

I'll give it another go tomorrow. I had about 60 seconds cumulative of pure Halo and I'm sure if I had been able to play the game as soon as I turned it on I would have been able to extend that time in good conscience.

The beta is working fine for me on my own, but one thing I noticed is my Spartan colours change to pink after every game...so I am constantly pink and I can't change it back unless I restart the beta.

Genis94

Neo Member
I'm really hesitant to invest in Halo 5. For starters I don't have an Xbone yet, as nothing has truly sold me on it, but the big issue I have with Halo 5 is the disconnect with the rest of the series. I feel like the series has slowly drifted from the original style of combat, which I believe hit its peak during Halo: Reach. Halo 4 was a prime example with a leveling system similar to Call of Duty, where you had a distinct advantage if you managed to grind enough levels and gain perks. Halo 5 looks like it's going to try and be the new generic rooty tooty point and shooty. I guess it's just the curse of dragging out a series for too long. Well, we'll see once some more in depth footage comes out.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ugh I wish I could play these games just average. Always the last on my team

if you play enough the game will do a better job of matching you with like skilled players for very close matches (though you still may end up at the bottom of your team..)

i know ;_;

the whole jump to kill cam is starting to over take all the other stuff and be the thing i hate the most about the beta.

i wouldn't mind it if it's optional (press X to view killcam), but i still think it's unnecessary compared to being able to see where the enemy is going. the fade in between cameras with the music overlay each time are jarring and aren't helping.

There needs to be a shotgun in Truth. Seems silly to have up to 2 swords at once but no shotgun.

thought there was one bottom mid like midship? did they take it off?

i don't mind it if it's optional (press X to view killcam). the fade in between cameras with the music overlay each time are jarring.

thought there was one bottom mid like midship? did they take it off?

Based on The Sprint they were planning on putting one in the old classic midship spot bottom-middle. Maybe it's just a beta thing, but not sure the reasoning behind it.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
So far I am loving the beta.

It's nice not having the BR as a start weapon because it should have always been a power weapon in my eyes due to how much it changed Halo from CE to 2.
I'm one of those people who was never amazing with a BR and while that's probably my problem it doesn't change the fact it makes it not as fun for those of us who aren't great with it. I like it being a pickup as now I can actually use it sometimes if I grab it rather than trying to out BR somebody.

None of the abilities seem overpowered which is good.

Every weapon I've used seems great. I see people saying the AR shoots to far. Perhaps that could have a slight reduction but I like it as is. Also the SMG being too powerful... well it is a pickup weapon not a spawn weapon so it should be more decent than an AR, at least in the right situation, that being close range for the SMG.

The kill cam is pretty annoying and odd, I'd rather just have the ability to scroll through my team mates for a few seconds before respawning.

Oh and one more annoying thing is that it seems like I am not getting games with anyone from my own country. Wish we could select server locations before going into matchmaking.

Velikost

Anyone wanna party up? My boy just had to go to work and now I'm solo queuing and getting garbage teams. Just played a 2v4 with a kid who had no mic. Wasn't fun

.la1n

Kill cam is terrible hope they see all the complaints and drop it or make it optional. Other issue is give me an option to back out of matchmaking when it's stuck on an endless loading slayer loop (unless I'm missing how to.)

MrMephistoX

Kill cam is terrible hope they see all the complaints and drop it or make it optional. Other issue is give me an option to back out of matchmaking when it's stuck on an endless loading slayer loop (unless I'm missing how to.)

This... I like almost everything else about the betas dot for maybe the power weapons on empire.

ElRenoRaven

So yea after several games I have to say prophet's bane sucks ass. Either get rid of it or don't give the user a boost with it.

Kill cam needs to go too without a doubt.

Kill time needs to be increased just a bit. People die way too fast. Feels too much like COD in this department.

Flinch needs to go.

The midship remake plays good but Empire is a jumbled mess. I can see it takes after the Halo 4 school of map design. No flow worth a shit and too many damn directions to get hit from.

Other than that I'm enjoying the hell out of it. The crow has been thoroughly eaten.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Kill time needs to be increased just a bit. People die way too fast. Feels too much like COD in this department.

I'll need to play in a few hours to confirm this myself, but if true fucking LEAVE IT.

Halo's biggest problem is the overly long TTK. Shit needs to be reduced big time. Hope that's the case in Halo 5.

Magwik

Banned
I'll need to play in a few hours to confirm this myself, but if true fucking LEAVE IT.

Halo's biggest problem is the overly long TTK. Shit needs to be reduced big time. Hope that's the case in Halo 5.

The TTK was never an issue unless you couldn't land headshots

Conflict

Neo Member
As a COD fan who wanted to get into halo but didn't like the slow speed/shields this feels great. Players die a lot quicker, aim down sights lets me be more accurate like in COD and the movement feels a lot like Advanced Warfare. Guns feel more like modern weapons instead of the lame Sci Fi stuff that halo used to have as well. Probably going to buy this now!

Edit: Kill Cam is awesome too, part of the reason why I didn't like the past Halo games.

Top Bottom