• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Guardians: #huntthetruth

gAg CruSh3r

I posted this in HaloGAF thread but ...

Could Master Chief actually be getting shot at? It took me a while to get the picture because each frame was a bitch to get (I'm on my phone.. That's why.) but it looks like from the flash of the scope of the sniper rifle.

8A97EC4D-1693-42F7-96C7-A80B0DF043EE.png

B26EBFCC-7142-48EC-86F7-1EFBDDC877BE.png

97C33963-2B7B-4B5A-8E37-D91DBB54F01C.png

That's been confirmed not to be the boxart, just an early visual ID.
Oh good!
The placeholder art is ok, but not a huge fan of it. Think a picture of MC in the desert with that cloak would look cooler.

Can someone post the news?

They released an audio file on the page with a reporter talking about Master Cheif and how he might be a traitor and stuff....
It is interesting for sure, and the VA is very good.

LordOfChaos

With the premise of the game as clear as it's other been, I just hope it's not all human-on-human action and there's some deep alien-ass mystery to it. The initial trailer with MC awaking the winged sand thingy whose name evades me right now (something vaguely Egyptian, my brain tells me...Scarab, pharaoh, none of those but something along those lines...?) hinted at that, but there's also word most of the campaign won't be MC directly, so maybe it's a lot of Locke. I'd prefer Arbiter, but we'll see.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I posted this in HaloGAF thread but ...

Could Master Chief actually be getting shot at? It took me a while to get the picture because each frame was a bitch to get (I'm on my phone.. That's why.) but it looks like from the flash of the scope of the sniper rifle.

8A97EC4D-1693-42F7-96C7-A80B0DF043EE.png

B26EBFCC-7142-48EC-86F7-1EFBDDC877BE.png

97C33963-2B7B-4B5A-8E37-D91DBB54F01C.png

If it's the Halo Reach sniper rifle, then he's perfectly safe. From me.

Son
Abducted
Victim
Orphan
Recruit
Soldier
Warrior
Ally
Hero
Savior
Traitor

I rather love this little tease. And maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I wonder if maybe the way that helmet gets destroyed has something to do with the level of destructibility in the new Halo campaign? I doubt it'll be that insane, but maybe this teaser trailer is a way to hint that cool looking cosmetic destructibility is one of their focuses.

LordOfChaos

Pretty sure Gaf will have already caught this, but I freezed the video as the bullet was spinning at a few points, and it didn't look like it said Traitor every time. I think it was a shorter 4 letter word half the time. Hero?

Son
Abductee
Victim
Orphan
Recruit
Soldier
Warrior
Ally
Hero
Savior
Traitor

Guys!!
These words are not talking about different people's perspectives of cheif...they are in chronological order telling the story of John!

first he was a SON, then he was ABDUCTED, then he was a VICTIM of the unsc spartan program, and and ORPHAN. He then moved through the ranks starting as a RECRUIT, becoming a SOLDIER, and humanity's WARRIOR. He became the ALLY of the arbiter, and the HERO of the universe when he stoped truth from firing the rings, and cortana's SAVIOR when her rescued her from the flood. Now he must become a TRAITOR to the unsc to find out the #truth.

At least that is my theory about it all. :)

Guys!!
These words are not talking about different people's perspectives of cheif...they are in chronological order telling the story of John!

first he was a SON, then he was ABDUCTED, then he was a VICTIM of the unsc spartan program, and and ORPHAN. He then moved through the ranks starting as a RECRUIT, becoming a SOLDIER, and humanity's WARRIOR. He became the ALLY of the arbiter, and the HERO of the universe when he stoped truth from firing the rings, and cortana's SAVIOR when her rescued her from the flood. Now he must become a TRAITOR to the unsc to find out the #truth.

That.... Is quite possibly dead on accurate, sir, in following MCs journey. Excellent!

BraXzy

So what happened during The Walking Dead? Was that a thing?

Guys!!

Yeah it's cycling through his life, why traitor though?

BraXzy

Me thinks Chief stole Frankie's sandwich out of the fridge one time even after leaving a note which pissed him off and now Chief is labelled traitor cuz reasons. #Truthfact

With the premise of the game as clear as it's other been, I just hope it's not all human-on-human action and there's some deep alien-ass mystery to it. The initial trailer with MC awaking the winged sand thingy whose name evades me right now (something vaguely Egyptian, my brain tells me...Scarab, pharaoh, none of those but something along those lines...?) hinted at that, but there's also word most of the campaign won't be MC directly, so maybe it's a lot of Locke. I'd prefer Arbiter, but we'll see.

You're thinking of War Sphinx, but it's much too big to be one of those. I'm sure we'll have some alien fighting action; between the MCC bookends cutscene and the teaser you mentioned, there's no way they're going for full human vs. human action.

Pretty sure Gaf will have already caught this, but I freezed the video as the bullet was spinning at a few points, and it didn't look like it said Traitor every time. I think it was a shorter 4 letter word half the time. Hero?

SLooooooow

There's a bunch of new words. In order:

Son
Abductee
Victim
Orphan
Recruit
Soldier
Warrior
Ally
Hero
Savior
Traitor

Squire

Banned
Nothing. Everyones hoping for next week for some reason.

They aired the teaser and then followed up with "watch next wrk to see both sides of the truth", something to that effect.

Next week is the season finale, which means there'll be a ratings boost probably, so even bigger audience.

Guys!!

Well, 2 things: 1, I don't know what I'm talking about, time to go to bed.

Second, them being in chronological order doesn't preclude the descriptors being imparted by other characters; after all, we're getting this info from a reporter, who would presumably be conducting interviews.

Welfare

Well, 2 things: 1, your order is off; he doesn't stop Truth until after he's rescued Cortana.

Second, them being in chronological order doesn't preclude the descriptors being imparted by other characters; after all, we're getting this info from a reporter, who would presumably be conducting interviews.

Truth died before Cortana was saved from the Gravemind.

That.... Is quite possibly dead on accurate, sir, in following MCs journey. Excellent!
thanks!
So what happened during The Walking Dead? Was that a thing?

Yeah it's cycling through his life, why traitor though?

He is probably going to betray Oni because they are corrupt, and I bet they are hiding information from him.....think about it. He was taken as a boy and basically brainwashed to think what they wanted him to think, and do whatever they told him to do without question.

Now you see him starting to break away from their command, and make decisions for himself (which he did for the first time by standing up to Captain Del Rio).

I think that he is on a quest not just to find Cortana, but a quest for self discovery....to prove to himself that he is not just a machine!

Takashi

Well, 2 things: 1, your order is off; he doesn't stop Truth until after he's rescued Cortana.

He rescued Cortana after Truth is killed.

Your second point is a good point, but your first one is wrong.

He stopped truth first, and then went to rescue Cortana from the Gravemind afterwards.

EDIT: its cool...easy to get stuff backwards...it is all packed in so densely.

I have not read most of the books...a little of the comics, but I do pay a lot of attention to the story, watch all the termanal and spartan opps stuff, and learn lore stuff in the books from youtube, wikipedia, and here. Not at all an expert though so please dont take me as tring to be condescending in correcting ya ....It can get confusing at times, but that is what makes it so much fun finding out. :)

I don't know, the main difference between Locke and Chief being successful should be luck. That what makes Chief the ultimate soldier, he has all the physical tools and then luck. That's why he's "the chief".

LordOfChaos

SLooooooow

There's a bunch of new words. In order:

Son
Abductee
Victim
Orphan
Recruit
Soldier
Warrior
Ally
Hero
Savior
Traitor

Guys, GUYS! Did you see the new Halo bullet trailer?

Heh, yep, I've been out of it. I'd agree with the above ideas that those are a chronological description of his life rather than random descriptors, but then after "warrior" that becomes less clear. Ally to whom? Was he not a Hero far earlier as well? And a saviour?

Exactly, seems like both to me. If he's doing a story on Chief, then he'd go through the chronological events of his life and the people in it to form that story, and the people who knew him over time would each present a different image of him.

Top Bottom