• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta Trailer

Wait they claimed 60 Fps on dedicated servers. Oh boy the scrutiny they will if get. If that claim is not held up.

Why would you doubt this claim of 60fps? Concern trolling?

Also, dedicated servers. Ooh. That's going to be so hard to do!

Cels

please, no CoD loadout/perks bullshit (AKA tactical package and support upgrade in halo 4), no armor abilities bullshit, no ordnance drop bullshit.

if they are dead set on "spartan abilities" so be it but it better not be a mere rebranding of armor abilities.

just give the fans what they want, no dumb fluff that takes away from the game

oh, and no sprinting please.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Not thrilled that armor abilities seem to be making a return.
But I'll refrain from judging until I actually play it.

They aren't. The wording is confusing but it means. "features." Using h2 as an example, new features would have been dual wielding and boarding.

JimiNutz

Banned
Spartan Abilities will be fine if its stuff like thruster packs or dash/evade. Stuff that is more movement based rather than annoying active camo or wall hacks.

JackHerer

I swear if there is sprinting in this game...

You can almost certainly bet on it. I've given up on the idea that sprint will be removed in future Halo games. Armor Abilities I have a bit more hope. Perks I am fully expecting them to remove in Halo 5 as those were the worst addition to Halo 4.

I am skeptical of these spartan abilities but from what Stinkles is saying it seems that these will be universal abilities (akin to duel wielding, assassinations, vehicle boarding, sprint in Halo 4, etc) and not part of customizable loadouts which immediately makes them sound better than the armor abilities in Halo 4 and Reach.

You can almost certainly bet on it. I've given up on the idea that sprint will be removed in future Halo games. Armor Abilities less so. Perks I am expecting them to remove in Halo 5 as those were the worst addition to Halo 4.

Sprint i dont mind as much as the perks. armor abilities are perks though you know that right? Also classes need to go as well among many other minor details that are important.

JackHerer

Sprint i dont mind as much as the perks. armor abilities are perks though you know that right? Also classes need to go as well among many other minor details that are important.

Armor abilities I view as separate from perks. Perks are more passive buffs like increased grenade damage, unlimited sprint, extra ammo, etc. Armor Abilities are things like jet packs, promethean vision, thruster pack, active camo, etc.

I agree that whatever they do they should go back to the concept that everyone starts the match on an even playing field with the same abilities and weapons.

Armor looked silly and Spartan ability worries the hell out of me. The halo reveals today were pretty bad. They should have demoed a small portion of halo 5.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
They aren't. The wording is confusing but it means. "features." Using h2 as an example, new features would have been dual wielding and boarding.

No armor abilities?

Damn.

I know this is another damned if you do, damned if you don't, but I for one loved armor abilities, in both Reach and Halo 4.

Though to be fair, I also enjoyed Halo without them, in H1-3.

runnner30

Banned
"All new spartan abilities" already tells me that this won't be the Halo game I want.

Luckily they have the Halo game you want with the Master Chief collection. Weeeee! Back to the future!

I hope 343 is more free with Halo and tries some new things. I like Halo 4 MP.

Arnie

If Spartan abilities are unified abilities that every player has access to and aren't part of some focus on character customisation then I'm happy to view them with an open mind. Halo began to turn to shit when the playing field became jumbled with armour abilities and orbital drops that introduced the idea of fortune and unpredictability into the multiplayer arena.

If the game still allows for 'create a class' or sprint or armour abilities I just quite simply won't buy it.

That's not Halo and the fast depleting player base has made that quite clear.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
As long as jet packs don't exist, I'll keep the game on my radar. Can't promise more than that - Halo 4 is a deep bruise on the franchise.

TheOddOne

Might as well add them here!
Vault:

ibfgI8YD3riFev.gif

Smash (Jetpack?):

ibvYbKsoozc0ec.gif

Stinkles

That trailer is prerendered, but it's entirely made with ingame assets. The armors and map relate to a specific mode.

Caayn

That trailer is prerendered, but it's entirely made with ingame assets. The armors and map relate to a specific mode.
Like an action sack right from the start, playground for different things while the main multiplayer stays clean? The screens on the sides of the map are a cool touch.

I personally don't want any type of "spartan abilities" to me it's not why I played Halo. I never wanted custom load outs and different "perks" and abilities. That's what CoD was popular for. I like that Halo the only difference from player to player is skill, not finding a perk to try and exploit.

Metfanant

They had the world in their grasp at the mention of 60fps, dedicated servers then lost everyone with 'new spartan abilities.'

Wait they claimed 60 Fps on dedicated servers. Oh boy the scrutiny they will if get. If that claim is not held up.

They will hit the 60fps claim...and it will be 95%+ solid if not completely solid...at the expense of 1080p though...900p tops...lock it up

That trailer was mostly CG, if not all of it.

All of it...for sure

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Watched the trailer live, then had to leave a couple minutes after the MS conference was over, then I got back home about an hour ago.

Gonna rewatch the trailer a couple of times, especially knowing that it's CG but using in-game assets.

Oh, and while you're here Frankie, about "Halo 2 Anniversary" not being real - you sly dog you... ended up being far bigger than just that, but still, you sly dog!

klodeckel

Banned
Watching the trailer over and over again I think they revealed two Spartan abilities. Probably these aren't "perks" based on what Frankie said, but probably usable by every player as standard movement tricks.

- Crouching while sprinting will result in a "slide"
- Jumping from big heights and then maybe like double-tapping B will result in a "ground slam" forcing other players in an area away.

Just some thoughts ... :)

Jito

Banned
Oh no more spartan abilities? I was hoping we'd be getting less (no sprint).

Ah well at least I can just play H2A now.

Paradicia

Watching the trailer over and over again I think they revealed two Spartan abilities. Probably these aren't "perks" based on what Frankie said, but probably usable by every player as standard movement tricks.

- Crouching while sprinting will result in a "slide"
- Jumping from big heights and then maybe like double-tapping B will result in a "ground slam" forcing other players in an area away.

Just some thoughts ... :)

Having looked at the trailer a few times, the slide looks like a snap to cover similar to "Press A to cover" in Gears of War. Obviously its CG but they wouldn't have shown animations like that with no relation to the real game. I think it would be cool if the snap to cover was fast and allowed for a few pop shots.

Stinkles

I personally don't want any type of "spartan abilities" to me it's not why I played Halo. I never wanted custom load outs and different "perks" and abilities. That's what CoD was popular for. I like that Halo the only difference from player to player is skill, not finding a perk to try and exploit.

There are no armor abilities, that wording refers to new all up game features. If it were Halo 2, that would mean boarding or dual wielding.

Estocolmo

please, no CoD loadout/perks bullshit (AKA tactical package and support upgrade in halo 4), no armor abilities bullshit, no ordnance drop bullshit.

if they are dead set on "spartan abilities" so be it but it better not be a mere rebranding of armor abilities.

just give the fans what they want, no dumb fluff that takes away from the game

oh, and no sprinting please.

Im a Halo fan since day, played all Halo mp countless of hours and i want sprinting, tactical package and armour abilities. What are you talking about the fans?

Top Bottom