• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians - New Video/Trailer/"whatever-this-is" coming in 24 hours

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Even though Halo 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, I've been progressively less hyped for each release after. Honestly, Halo 5 is barely on my radar.

But that trailer was all kinds of badass. Impossible not to get at least a little hyped... Or very hyped.

Frog-fu

Banned
Trailer did a great job showing how badass Spartans are in combat. Team Osiris in particular must be dope af if they're clowning elites like that.

We had those two Hunt the Truth ads which were live action.

I was thinking more along the lines of traditional liveaction Halo trailers. Halo Reach and ODST had amazing trailers.

Red Devil

I'm confused about two things, are the graphics just CGI or not?

Also what's with the "game provided via internet while supplies last" thing with the bundle? Can they run out of digital copies?

Also what's with the "game provided via internet while supplies last" thing with the bundle? Can they run out of digital copies?

In-Game character models not running in real-time that are taking advantage of post processing advantages that come with running pre-rendered.

mcrommert

Banned

Frankie said its in game assets but they are not real time and have been given extra massaging...so same models but at a much better render pipeline

So it has the benefit of looking very similar to the game but much better

I think I spotted a new covenant ship in there?

You mean this?
bwORxJD.png

I have never seen it before, either.

Question for frankie: That cutscene, though it may be close to final, will still receive some touchups, right? There's moments where it seems the voice sync, or at least the facial expressions need to be given a bit of a tuneup? I know you probably want to be careful not to overdue and thus exaggerate their expressions, but buck and locke at times seemed like they needed some work. Vale is fucking brilliant. All those subtle facial expressions, especially when Halsey was being discussed, were just awesome.

Kssio_Aug

I really dig the Osiris theme. It varies from MC's but doesn't lose the epic feel.

I concur!
Also this trailer kind of demonstrate what has been debated here on Gaf before, about 343i not taking seriously the Spartans abilities (I remeber that someone even mentioned a Halo Wars CGI). The Spartans on Halo 5 seems pretty bad ass now!

And this is a perfect example of why outsorcing the Halsey story to Halo Escalation was a bad idea. I'm currently reading it and they are a coupple of issues away from fully revealing the things that will most likely be important in Halo 5 and will answer your question.

Wait, those comics are canon?

I am guessing one of Halsey's main motivations is to find John. In H4 she was red hot pissed when she learned they kept her from finding he was alive.

Also, from a narrative point of view, why are the promethians still running around with the covenant?

I concur!
Also this trailer kind of demonstrate what has been debated here on Gaf before, about 343i not taking seriously the Spartans abilities (I remeber that someone even mentioned a Halo Wars CGI). The Spartans on Halo 5 seems pretty bad ass now!

I think 343i did more to show off the abilities of a Spartan and just how truly impressive one can be than Bungie ever has in the games. Master Chief has never looked more skilled or powerful than he did in Halo 4.

wheeplash

Damn, did not expect those kind of graphics!! Consider me interested in the Xbox One now (as if being interested in the $400 PS4 wasn't hard enough).

Kssio_Aug

I think 343i did more to show off the abilities of a Spartan and just how truly impressive one can be than Bungie ever has in the games. Master Chief has never looked more skilled or powerful than he did in Halo 4.

Agreed. Halo 4 really did demonsteate Chief's abilites in some really cool segments! I just remebered the discussion and the Halo Wars CGI comparion.

Now I just hope for a stable release and thats gonna be perfect!

Can't wait to the inevitable blue team trailer nearest release by the way!!

Damn, did not expect those kind of graphics!! Consider me interested in the Xbox One now (as if being interested in the $400 PS4 wasn't hard enough).

Just keep in mind thesre are not in-game. Those are the same models used in-game but using pre-rendered advantages, looking much better.

Okay, somebody needs to turn what locke did at 2:53 into a banned.gif

He dives up in the air and uses his thruster for maneuvering and seems to throat hold or clothesline a grunt or elite riding a ghost. It's so fucking badass lol.

Vale seems to me like she has some serious animosity towards Halsey. Does anyone else spot the look on her face? There is an ominous look on her face when Halsey comes up. Anyone else seeing that?

Might she have a top secret mission all her own to take out Halsey?

I was deceived! I totally could've set my hype levels to 10/10!

Yes...I know I probably would've been disappointed then... maybe... so ty

They're not. Although sometimes their motivations align.

Not sure if you're allowed to reveal this but a simple yes or no would suffice: Are there any "new" enemies aside from the Promethean soldiers? this can go for any faction or did you guys decide one was enough, also the same for vehicles?
Great trailer/opening though and it sold me on team Osiris.

Red Devil

In-Game character models not running in real-time that are taking advantage of post processing advantages that come with running pre-rendered.

Frankie said its in game assets but they are not real time and have been given extra massaging...so same models but at a much better render pipeline

So it has the benefit of looking very similar to the game but much better

Ah, I thought so. Thanks for the info.

Madness

Wow that was really well done. All in-engine/in-game? I do think the Spartans are shown as a bit too overpowered. I mean these aren't Spartan-II and even those guys are not invincible. Look at how even veteran teams like Noble Team were defeated by the Covenant. The Halo Wars 2 trailer showed Red Team making a hasty retreat and being picked off by Brutes. Here, Osiris Team drops in, and just lays waste to everything, wraiths, phantoms, Elites, etc. I want my Spartans to be Batman, not Superman.

But man that was amazing. And people were saying they were scared Halo 5 wouldn't be a visual spectacle. That's just one cinematic. I can't wait to see the scope and detail in the campaign. Well done Frank and 343 team.

Doodis

Wow that was really well done. All in-engine/in-game? I do think the Spartans are shown as a bit too overpowered. I mean these aren't Spartan-II and even those guys are not invincible. Look at how even veteran teams like Noble Team were defeated by the Covenant. The Halo Wars 2 trailer showed Red Team making a hasty retreat and being picked off by Brutes. Here, Osiris Team drops in, and just lays waste to everything, wraiths, phantoms, Elites, etc. I want my Spartans to be Batman, not Superman.

But man that was amazing. And people were saying they were scared Halo 5 wouldn't be a visual spectacle. That's just one cinematic. I can't wait to see the scope and detail in the campaign. Well done Frank and 343 team.

Yeah, it doesn't seem reminiscent of gameplay whatsoever, which bums me out a little. On the other hand, as a general action sequence (not taking into consideration that it's supposed to represent what we'll actually be able to do in the game ourselves), it was a kick-ass cinematic.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yeah, it doesn't seem reminiscent of gameplay whatsoever, which bums me out a little. On the other hand, as a general action sequence (not taking into consideration that it's supposed to represent what we'll actually be able to do in the game ourselves), it was a kick-ass cinematic.

I'm obviously not going to say it's a precise simulation of gameplay but there's far more smooth, fast transition of movement to ability, with four full time squad members whether you're playing coop or not, and liquid transition of vertical parts of the levels, as well as the moves (charge, clamber, assassination, slide, boost and ground pound) so it isn't ludicrously deceptive either. It's supposed to get you amped to go do those things - right now. Hence it cuts immediately to gameplay in that level.

Very cool cinematic, though I was hoping for some near final build gameplay footage with more of Master Chief and his team. Locke is getting too much of the hype! Or maybe it's just me :(

fin

I don't know what it is but Halo makes me post and read neogaf more than anything else. Great sequence, loved when the one spartan went aboard the drop ship and fucked their day up.

I'd be down with a CGI Halo series ala Star Wars Clone Wars if it was all like this. (wash the horrible taste Nightfall left in my mouth).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Very cool cinematic, though I was hoping for some near final build gameplay footage with more of Master Chief and his team. Locke is getting too much of the hype! Or maybe it's just me :(

I am really concern about what 343 is planning to do with MC. Big E3 stage demo was on Locke, the intro cinematic they released to hype up is on locke, Xbox One Halo 5 console is locke theme.

The last thing I was to see is MC being replace or they are trying to slide him slowly on side by making him not relevant.

Top Bottom