• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

"Worst" starting weapon? Are you sure that's not the H2 SMG, or the H3 AR/Magnum, or the H3 BR?

I meant worst main starting precision weapon but you knew that already funker dunker. H3 pistol doesn't count as not even a weapon.

And yes, it's much worse than the H3 BR. There's an anachronistic awkwardness to the gunplay that wasn't there before. The reason for this seems simple: the 4v4 game was built from the ground up around the original weapon settings, finely attuned to consider the plethora of new variables such as sprint, clamber, thrust and slide et al. The more variables in play, the more jarring slight alterations will feel. Halo 5 isn't without its own "That's Bullshit!" moments (spartan charge lungers spring to mind) but it's been probably the most consistent online experience in the series for registering a headshot when one hits a headshot. This new BR? In 20 or so games I've had about a dozen moments where I've shot a shield less opponent in the bonce (sometimes twice!) and they've walked it off. It doesn't help when the community has to speculate as to the what the specific changes to the weapon behaviour are.

To the bigger picture, if this is the de facto Halo 6 beta some suspect it is, it's clear they've abandoned the magnum altogether. The new weapon settings effectively render it null and void, so similar in range and difficulty the new BR now feels. I can understand that decision in regards to newer players' perception of a weapon. A pistol looks punier on the box art and the clueless will always assume a rifle is more powerful. Perhaps a starting single shot weapon with a BR aesthetic would be the correct compromise.

Trup1aya

To the bigger picture, if this is the de facto Halo 6 beta some suspect it is, it's clear they've abandoned the magnum altogether. The new weapon settings effectively render it null and void, so similar in range and difficulty the new BR now feels. I can understand that decision in regards to newer players' perception of a weapon. A pistol looks punier on the box art and the clueless will always assume a rifle is more powerful. Perhaps a starting single shot weapon with a BR aesthetic would be the correct compromise.

I don't think they are abandoning the magnum. It's one of the better received elements of Halo 5. This IS just a test, nothing is set in stone.

Ironically, the new settings actually buff the magnum a bit. If they put this tweaked br on map (hopefully without the random spread), and kept magnum as the starting weapon, the sandbox would immediately be improved.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
We're not abandoning the magnum.
Btw we just got evacuated for a terrorist threat so hcs stream is delayed. We'll keep folks updated but ain't nobody got time for that mess

Probably nothing but better safe than sorry. It's freezing outside too.

Ade

Btw we just got evacuated for a terrorist threat so hcs stream is delayed. We'll keep folks updated but ain't nobody got time for that mess

Stay safe mate

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Btb pistol starts you say?

What? Damn. Be careful :/

That's crazy, stay safe.

BizzyBum

I'm pretty sure 343 are just being trolls by leaving the SR bottom mid on Plaza during this tune test. If one automatic needed to be tuned / nerfed, it was the SR, and yet they are leaving it as is. Vetoad's montage is perfect because it shows the gun is even more dominant now than before since all the other weapons were nerfed so there's no counter to it.

Depressing.

Stay safe.

My wife had a halo 5 question last night. She has her character set to female but when she previews armor it shows her the male version. Is this a big or is there something else she needs to do to get it to preview the female version?

I don't think they are abandoning the magnum. It's one of the better received elements of Halo 5. This IS just a test, nothing is set in stone.

Depends if they keep BR starts. Should that be the case and HCS adopts them I'd be amazed if the gunfighter magnum hits even a 1/10 kill ratio compared to the BR. Regular magnum on the map wouldn't be picked up with BR/GF starts. If this tuning test is just to gather more data about the BR and they revert to Magnum/AR starts then fine.

Juan

I've never played so much of Halo 5 in a row since the game was released.

So far, I'm loving the new balance. It makes me appreciate Halo 5, which is something I thought would be almost impossible.

I like the new BR. I know it won't be a popular opinion, but having a random BR spread doesn't frustrate me at all. Like Halo 3, it is slowing the pacing which is something I truly appreciate since Halo 5 was really to stressful for me as it was before. I feel like now, if someone is attacking me from behind, I have the tool to change the battle since there is a chance for my opponent to miss a shot due to the spread's random nature.

It also makes me appreciate the gunfigther as a perfect side-arm, I'm using it every game, and when I have to switch for a power weapon, I mostly keep the gunfighter magnum and I'm dropping the BR. It's so much faster than the regular magnum and makes it a perfect counter play when having a close range encounter with a player using the BR or the SMG, as long as I'm not missing my target.

Also, having most of the precision weapons being nerfed helps most of the other weapon to shine in the sandbox.

I'm trading my BR for a bolshot, and even a Needler, almost every time I get the opportunity to do so. And I'm enjoying it.

Trup1aya

Depends if they keep BR starts. Should that be the case and HCS adopts them I'd be amazed if the gunfighter magnum hits even a 1/10 kill ratio compared to the BR. Regular magnum on the map wouldn't be picked up with BR/GF starts. If this tuning test is just to gather more data about the BR and they revert to Magnum/AR starts then fine.

I assume it'll either be Magnum only or BR+GF.

I think player's who trust their aim would pick up mag over the other two, as it has the ttk advantage and is more reliable when fighting with a white reticle, especially if the random spread stays.

Just my hunch.

I wish the playlist woulda had br and magnum gametype variants so we could compare the two properly.

I mean, it's an HCS-streamed event. They didn't have to do a fake bomb threat to get a delay. Damn amateurs over there in the EU, I swear.
Right? BR starts make a return and now there's a threat.. k i n e c t t h e d o t s
AR/Pistol starts

Stay safe Stinkles and co.
I meant worst main starting precision weapon but you knew that already funker dunker. H3 pistol doesn't count as not even a weapon.
lmao
It also makes me appreciate the gunfigther as a perfect side-arm, I'm using it every game, and when I have to switch for a power weapon, I mostly keep the gunfighter magnum and I'm dropping the BR. It's so much faster than the regular magnum and makes it a perfect counter play when having a close range encounter with a player using the BR or the SMG, as long as I'm not missing my target.
Nice, I quite like the GF Magnum too. Think you'll play more H5 with these settings?

TCKaos

My wife had a halo 5 question last night. She has her character set to female but when she previews armor it shows her the male version. Is this a big or is there something else she needs to do to get it to preview the female version?

The pre-rendered "Cards" that show up in the UI only show the male version (if you're looking at them in the REQ Collection menu, or whatever it's actually called. I don't remember). If you want to preview them on your Spartan proper, you'll need to go to the Customization menu and use the "Change Appearance" option. If you modify your armor from there it'll render it on your Spartan so you can see the changes in real time.

Juan

Nice, I quite like the GF Magnum too. Think you'll play more H5 with these settings?

Definitely!

Maybe not as much as I play the MCC on a weekly basis, but now I will gladly keep Halo 5 on my hard drive until the end of the Halo 3 Anniversary playlist, and if the current balance test is overalled for the entire game, I may even play it for some time.

Ofc, there are still stuffs I can't deal with, such as Sprint and Thruster (I even started to hate Clamber due to the level design, which is something I always was okay with).

I think this balance makes the game more casual friendly, despite making it more random, but that's something I like since, again, it's slowing down the gameplay.

They even changed the recoil for the gunfighter magnum, so it's still a good weapon, for not the perfect one. So far, I'm loving all the changes (except for the DMR).

watership

I'm crashing to a standby screen trying to play any big match. Warzone or BTB. Anyone else getting this? I have to restart the game everytime. Its like the game ends prematurely, but I can't get back into matchmaking.

Trup1aya

vetoed's take on the weapons tests

He pretty much mirrors my thoughts on how weapons should be balanced.

Random spread on precision weapons = bad
Auto users who tap fire should be rewarded with better accuracy compared to those holding the trigger.

I wish he didn't frame it has whats needed for competitive. Whether a game is played casually or professionally i think most people have more fun when interactions feel fair and when they can anticipate how their inputs will translate to the screen.

Trup1aya

But you said this change doesn't impact close range..
kappa

So how long do we think 343 will take to tweak these settings? Do we have any word on that actually, if these settings will remain until the end or is 343 planning to keep tweaking throughout?

Lol It doesn't! Mid- long is fucked though. It's an attempted range nerf. I like veto think they should just make ranged use harder, not random.

I think their plan was to run with these settings for two weeks, then work behind the scenes to tweak further or just go back to regular settings. Then we'll play with the vanilla settings for 1 month. Then they implement whatever changes they land on.

I just hope their decision making isn't over reliant on data. Like i can see them saying "the data shows the br is 45% less effective at 25m, mission accomplished" without factoring in the most important thing - how players feel when fighting with and against each weapon.

Juan

Overall, I feel like this balance made the game much more appealing for people like me, making it less hardcore and way more open to mistake, making the feeling less frustrating (again, for people who consider themselves as casual) when battling online in small scale arena maps.

I clearly understand why people are against random spread, but I always felt Halo 5's magnum wasn't fun to use being a single shot weapon without much good feelings due to poor sound design, low rate of fire and barely having aim assist, and the BR was too effective.

Now, what makes the game frustrating are Thruster, Sprint and radar. At this point, just remove the radar guys, it's useless and people (including myself, even if I tend to know looking at it anymore) keep focusing on it due to old habits, and as I explained, it's even more frustrating because it punishes you for using abilities the game was designed with.

Or, keep the radar and just remove Spartan abilities (except Ground Pound). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FUNK's Motion Tracker Agenda, vol. 69:

Interesting discussion on the latest IGN Game Scoop! where Daemon mentions Assassin's Creed Origins and Far Cry 5 not having mini maps. Ubisoft made the design choice to remove mini maps after studies showed that players are focusing too much on that small screen estate. So to apply this to Halo, when you detail so much information through the radar, players focus on that more than their surroundings, thereby lowering player awareness and lessening the impact of the game's audio/visual feedback. We've all experienced people sitting around, playing super defensive while relying on the radar to influence most of their decisions, so I'm of the opinion that an overly detailed motion tracker is too much of a crutch that could potentially limit a player's skill progression.

I'm glad the recent change to the motion tracker has been generally met with a positive reception from the community, so hopefully this bodes well for Halo 5 receiving it across the board and for Halo 6.

Juan

Actually, who ever used the Radar in the campaign, or even PvE modes? Mark Brown did two really good videos on Game Maker's Toolkit about this, Following the little dotted line (Witcher 3 focused) and No compass (Underchated based), that I would recommend to anyone.

Radar as always been PvP oriented for casual players, and it wasn't that bad since the radar wasn't precise but a good help to not be so stressed by the environment. It became worse with Reach telling you if someone was above or under your position, Halo 4 keeping this and adding vehicles.

While I do understand abilities radar can be good, I really think they should just keep the old radar or remove it entirely. This new radar doesn't make any sense to me in Halo 5.

DOOM doesn't have radar, the PvP is much faster than Halo but as we got a large FoV and we are always keeping our eyes on the screen, I don't feel the need of a radar, and I don't feel frustrated.

Maybe the difference between DOOM and Halo regarding this is you can't be assassinated in DOOM while this is a thing in Halo.

Also lol @Funk post's title haha.

And off-topic, I'm curious if the new Assassin's Creed will work well with the compass. I'm playing Skyrim right now for the first time, and I do enjoy the compass for helping me found my way but still letting me explore the map as it show me areas I didn't visit before.

Trup1aya

I honestly wish I'd never gotten used to play halo with the radar. I didn't realize it until H5, but it ALWAYS did the exact opposite of what it was supposed to do- lead players into combat.

Instead, it makes players more defensively.

no radar, with a large FOV would be best, but SAs would have to go.

lool took me a second to realize. Tried saying hi to both Eugn and Kaos, but you guys blew me up!

Good ol' Join-In-Progress to a CTF match, down 0-2 with seconds left :]

Cranster

Banned
I honestly wish I'd never gotten used to play halo with the radar. I didn't realize it until H5, but it ALWAYS did the exact opposite of what it was supposed to do- lead players into combat.

Instead, it makes players more defensively.

no radar, with a large FOV would be best, but SAs would have to go.
I disagree, I find that in alot of ways motion tracker can also promote camping especially if one team has a massive lead.Let alone it's nice to know if someone spawns right next to you or behind you rather than getting killed because the spawn system screwed you over. There is no simple solution to the motion tracker, but I feel improving map layout and design would help fix issues with the tracker by motivating players to move around the map.

Trup1aya

I disagree, I find that in alot of ways motion tracker can also promote camping especially if one team has a massive lead.

Sounds like we are saying the same thing. Camping is the extreme version of playing defensively.

Let alone it's nice to know if someone spawns right next to you or behind you rather than getting killed because the spawn system screwed you over.

Motion tracker doesn't tell you if people spawn behind you. It tells you if people are moving or shooting behind you. This information is also relayed by the gun sounds, damage indicators, bullet tracers, and footstep sounds.

If the spawn system is problematic, they should fix the spawn system, not implement mechanics that have a domino effect on other interactions as well.

There is no simple solution to the motion tracker, but I feel improving map layout and design would help fix issues with the tracker by motivating players to move around the map.

Better maps and layouts help as well,But as long as the Motion tracker is around to penalize movement, there will be an insentive not to move- as the stationary player has an info advatange over the player who is moving.

I love me some Radar, but lord knows I'm the camper you all are referring to. A mix of close quarters use and being hyper competitive when Reach was in its prime made me this way.

That said, just get rid of the fucking thing instead of that half measure version they run in HCS.

Maybe keep the original style in FFA, because someone camping in FFA may get a couple cheap kills but he won't win the game sitting in a corner.

jem0208

I love me some Radar, but lord knows I'm the camper you all are referring to. A mix of close quarters use and being hyper competitive when Reach was in its prime made me this way.

That said, just get rid of the fucking thing instead of that half measure version they run in HCS.

Maybe keep the original style in FFA, because someone camping in FFA may get a couple cheap kills but he won't win the game sitting in a corner.
What's wrong with the "half measure"?

It allows for uninhibited standard movement whikst discouraging overuse of the Spartan abilities. It's absolutely the best solution.

Is this that nurse fetish spinoff of the series that jem has been asking for?
Oh yeah

Juan

I will honestly loss appreciation for anyone trying to defend the nonsense that is this half measured radar, as this is just bad design since it works against the game itself, the way it was first intended to play.

I wouldn't mind this half baked radar if we got maps that didn't require Sprint or Clamber to move accros, but that's not the case here, half the work has been done and it's working against the player. That's just bad, at least for solo queue players (but I think this radar is good for HCS as it's a team oriented "gametype" and further require teammates to communicate).

Btw, is anyone playing the game in the balance featured playlist? I'm always fighting the same players, over and over again.

Trup1aya

The motion tracker punished ALL movement except for slow/ crouch walk

The SA tracker punishes just sprint, thrust, and GP.

So SA tracker is better in that it is less punishing. But as mentioned above,SAs influence the map design and weapon tuning, forcing players to use them, then punishes them for using them.

Juan

So SA tracker is better in that it is less punishing. But as mentioned above,SAs influence the map design and weapon tuning, forcing players to use them, then punishes them for using them.

As I said, it would be okay if we got maps which worked alongside the SA tracker (aka not requiring SA to move across), but we didn't.

In the current state, we're having a SA tracker on maps that require SA. So, in my opinion, it would just be better to remove the radar entirely, allowing SA to shine, maybe too much, but at least it works with the game. Or to keep the radar in its old state, keeping the player on alert at any given time.

Both solutions are dumb to me, but Halo 5 gave us the worst radar we ever had, even from the beginning when the perimeter was 12m, not allowing the player to react fast enough if another player using SA showed on the radar.

I never was against the radar in past Halo games, as it wasn't really precise and just helped players being aware of their surrounding (Halo CE/2/3 radar wasn't reacting quick enough but sure it was still helping player to play defensively). But as much as I like this new tuning update, I still can't help but hate the SA radar with the maps we're playing on, while I quickly learned to forgot about the radar btw.

What's wrong with the "half measure"?

It allows for uninhibited standard movement whikst discouraging overuse of the Spartan abilities. It's absolutely the best solution.

As with everything Halo related it's just my opinion.

I suppose as someone who really enjoys the Spartan abilities it punishes someone who sprints. And in H5 there's already plenty of punishment. Between my shield not recovering, the gap of time before I raise my weapon back and generally losing the ability to shoot first I feel like sprint has been appropriately nerfed. This motion tracker adds to the punishment.

With the original tracker you could have too much of a reliance on it, Lord knows I do, but modifying it in such a drastic way is really off putting. Especially considering it's not the same across all playlists.

Now I know that could be addressed in H6, but in its current implementation it reminds me of jumping back and forth between Super Slayer and standard Slayer on Reach. And it's just as jarring. Some times you can break the armor lock, some times you can't. Some times you see people walking on Radar, some times you can't. It's an old Halo problem really.

However it's done universally in H6 I'll adapt. But until then having different settings in different ranked playlists sucks.
Thus, either keep it the old way until Halo 6 or remove it all together. But be the same in all playlists.

Trup1aya

Gfinity has been consistently great with their halo productions.

When it comes to venues and production The two London events and the Mexico City event were well beyond everything done in the States, with the maybe the exception of xgames and 2016 regionals.

If we can't get MLG, I wouldn't mind the keys were handed over to Gfinity.

I will honestly loss appreciation for anyone trying to defend the nonsense that is this half measured radar, as this is just bad design since it works against the game itself, the way it was first intended to play.

I wouldn't mind this half baked radar if we got maps that didn't require Sprint or Clamber to move accros, but that's not the case here, half the work has been done and it's working against the player. That's just bad, at least for solo queue players (but I think this radar is good for HCS as it's a team oriented "gametype" and further require teammates to communicate).

Btw, is anyone playing the game in the balance featured playlist? I'm always fighting the same players, over and over again.
If you eliminate radar completely, then you'll hate Halo 5 even more. Just imagine everyone sprinting everywhere and landing those cheap Spartan Charges around every corner without any time to react. You don't want that. Trust me, you really don't want that.

As much as I hated radar in previous games, this "half measure" works best for Halo 5.

daedalius

So the new BR just shoots slower and has some spread? I mean, I wasn't a fan of getting cross mapped all the time in btb, so I guess I can get behind this?

It would make me want to play btb more, but I have no idea what effect it would have on more competitive play (other than it would be bad based on what I've read here)

Juan

If you eliminate radar completely, then you'll hate Halo 5 even more. Just imagine everyone sprinting everywhere and landing those cheap Spartan Charges around every corner without any time to react. You don't want that. Trust me, you really don't want that.

As much as I hated radar in previous games, this "half measure" works best for Halo 5.

I'm not even sure tbh. This playlist made me work without looking at the radar, so I can't even say it's helping me to stay alert of my surrounding, I would even say it's more distracting now more than ever since I don't relay on it, but I keep looking at it from time to time.

Maybe you're saying that in a way it keeps people away from using sprint, then Spartan Charge, but heh, I still see players using this (and it's OP tracking lol).

I wouldn't mind the SA tracker if maps didn't require SA to work well. That's my only complaining and the only thing I don't like with this update unfortunately. And since we know they can't change the maps.

Other topic, apparently Pro players are complaining they didn't get money for those in-game team weapon skins?

https://twitter.com/TomRyanOGRE2/status/909566981874913280

Madness

Everyone knew they wouldn't get the money... was supposed to be mix of pro and orgs with 343 taking a cut. Seems 343 took all the cut instead.

Top Bottom