• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

TCKaos

Did they give any sort of time frame on when the throwback playlist would arrive? Weeks....months?

September 25th, probably.

Also, I checked out that Sanctuary map, and I just need to talk about how painstakingly perfect the collision and accessibility of the map is. Just to be safe there are slanted collision boxes on top of every street light where you're not supposed to be and huge collision boxes that are larger than the platforms that go above the map so that you can't cheese your way onto a railing. It's almost like the forger playtested it or something.

Also, anyone want to do a customs night sometime? Maybe tomorrow?

belushy

Banned
Thank you for keeping us updated Nok. Really appreciate it!! Is there a list of the maps yall are looking at right now? Want to download them on pc too.

NOKYARD

I will be releasing them into the wild for testing as each one becomes available.

First up will be The Pit, once we clean up the scripting for static weapon spawns, likely sometime this weekend.

September 25th, probably.
After seeing nok says months, that confirms it lol. Crazy how long these things take when they don't even release without issues anyway. I'm sure there will be issues launching the playlist and I'm sure every map will be broken out of on the first day. Whatever happened to that damn beta playlist too..

They at least better be paying your ass for this or providing some benefits, nok, like a back rub or something.
I have a bad knee, that's hard for me.
lol

NOKYARD

After seeing nok says months, that confirms it lol. Crazy how long these things take when they don't even release without issues anyway. I'm sure there will be issues launching the playlist and I'm sure every map will be broken out of on the first day. Whatever happened to that damn beta playlist too..

They at least better be paying your ass for this or providing some benefits, nok, like a back rub or something.

lol

These maps will be more of a challenge to break out of. I am doing the containment on all maps this time.

Nok, not to knock your map (see what I did there?). The first thing I thought about the orange and blue rings on Avalanche was that they were bugged objects missing textures.

NOKYARD

Nok, not to knock your map (see what I did there?). The first thing I thought about the orange and blue rings on Avalanche was that they were bugged objects missing textures.

Yeah, the emissive textures are indeed strange and will likely be changed for the final version of the map.

Juan

Edit:
Nvm, I made an RTTP instead.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1376619

Hydra being completely broken (My friend and I are the red highlighted spartans):
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Fahzzy/video/31340506

I understand you went out of patience with Halo 5, I did it too like 3 months after its launch, but if this clip is what made you quit Halo 5, then I'm sorry to say Hydra is absolutely not so broken, it's a risk/reward weapon.

You have to zoom and lock your opponent, leaving you at the mercy of them, and even with that, people can still dodge Hydra with cover, thrust and sprint (which is not easy, I know, but you still can).

If not, then Hydra would only be a poor Rocket Launcher or a bad bad Grenade Launcher.

Yeah, Halo 5 isn't quite as fun as past Halo games, and it sure has a lot of issues, but Hydra isn't really one, even with the splash damage.

I understand you went out of patience with Halo 5, I did it too like 3 months after its launch, but if this clip is what made out quit Halo 5, then I'm sorry to say Hydra is absolutely not broken, it's a risk/reward weapon.

You have to zoom and lock your opponent, leaving you at the mercy of them, and even with that, people can still dodge Hydra with cover, thrust and sprint (which is not easy, I know, but you still can).

If not, then Hydra would only be a poor Rocket Launcher or a bad bad Grenade Launcher.

Yeah, Halo 5 isn't quite as fun as past Halo games, and it sure has a lot of issues, but Hydra isn't really one, even with the splash damage.

It's not what made me quit, but it's an amusing clip that I think clearly demonstrates the absurdity of how the weapon can function. I don't think any weapon in a competitive fps should reward a player for missing, which the Hydra clearly does.

m23

I just do not trust 343 to provide a satisfying campaign with only a year and a half of development time.

What? Halo 6 has been in development at least since 5 released.

Do you think all the work is scrapped because one person left?

Tawpgun

Halo 6 needs all the time in the Oven it can get. Don't forget Halo 5 launched without all of its features and suffered because of it.

Trup1aya

They should Take 4 years on H6 if needed. Make it a masterpiece: Best Halo campaign yet, Complete set of game modes, best forge yet, some revolutionary social features. Something to really wow the industry.

In the meantime. Get as much out of H5 is possible. Fix the aiming and netcode. Make a free version of the game that only includes a few Arena playlists and forge. Add more dev content etc.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Halo 6 needs all the time in the Oven it can get. Don't forget Halo 5 launched without all of its features and suffered because of it.

true. as painful as it would be, if it needed it i wouldnt mind if the game got pushed passed the expected holiday 2018 date. but with all the info presented so far, there is no reason not to expect the current 3 year cycle won't continue

They should Take 4 years on H6 if needed. Make it a masterpiece: Best Halo campaign yet, Complete set of game modes, best forge yet, some revolutionary social features. Something to really wow the industry.

In the meantime. Get as much out of H5 is possible. Fix the aiming and netcode. Make a free version of the game that only includes a few Arena playlists and forge. Add more dev content etc.

yes pls. i'll add that halo 6 better be fucking polished.

Yep, I was just thinking about this. The absolute worst time to be short of features is at release, where the maximum amount of people are playing the game. How many people would have got into Forge, or Firefight, or Big Team and kept playing? We'll never know.

What they really need to do is have a forge/customs contest at release to push those very-Halo features while a lot of people have it on their radar. Tie it into Mega Construx, Mountain Dew, whatever.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i just want halo 6 to end the "i'm done with halo, 343 ruined everything" weekly threads (sorry faz) one way or another. shit or get off the pot folks ;)

I wouldn't mind a 6 month delay or something. They haven't announced a date yet so i kind of want them to really put some heart, soul and identity back into the Halo Franchise and essentially re-charge the game. It has potential as we can see in their Multiplayer Arena Efforts regarding balance/encounters.

I have faith in them, but i believe if they rush it to meet Marketing deadlines, it may fall short of excellence because i agree with you. Halo 5 launch was not acceptable, by ANY means for a AAA title that is the FLAGSHIP of MS Xbox. We would accept it for AAA* third party games, but i think first party really has to bring it home.

( i mean we could all go through this cycle again, talking about how the additional Free content updates should have been there from day 1 (social/customization ui/more colors/more options/MM options/btb/ etc etc etc) (edit: i just realized the difference i see between MS and Sony is that Sony has Flagship Studios where as MS moved away from flagship studios to Flagship games.. am i wrong?)

Juan

I hope the next Halo FPS will come soon, I can't stand with Halo 5, and as fun as the MCC is, the lack of skill matchmaking and playlist updates will soon get me off.

I don't want to wait 2 more years.

And hope Halo 6 won't be as disappointing as Halo 5 was (to me).

Trup1aya

I hope the next Halo FPS will come soon, I can't stand with Halo 5, and as fun as the MCC is, the lack of skill matchmaking and playlist updates will soon get me off.

I don't want to wait 2 more years.

And hope Halo 6 won't be as disappointing as Halo 5 was (to me).

Understandable. But I'd rather wait for a fantastic halo, than to get another buggy release that can hardly stand amongst its peers.

Madness

There is that quote, often misquoted from Miyamoto I think, of a delayed game being good, but a rushed or bad game being bad forever. Halo 6 either needs to launch with as many features as Halo 5 NOW has, or they may as well pack it in and become also-rans in a genre Halo created. Cannot have another Soon™ situation.

BizzyBum

Community Slayer is out now with the winning Forge maps from that Ghost in the Shell contest.

I'm a little bummed to hear that classic playlist is so far out. I was under the assumption it was coming soon.

TCKaos

Do think it's wise for Halo 6 to skip the Sept-Nov release window and go for Feb-March?

It's not going to happen, but I also happen to think that the Christmas bump is overrated considering that most data suggests the vast majority of game sales happen within the first week or so of launch.

Community Slayer is out now with the winning Forge maps from that Ghost in the Shell contest.

I'm a little bummed to hear that classic playlist is so far out. I was under the assumption it was coming soon.

I've only gotten Shellshocked so far and it's shit. Almost certainly a doubles map or an aesthetic map that was never meant to be played (the round intro cameras are positioned in such a way that the players walk out of a wall and into view) and the spawns just clearly don't function as intended.

i just want halo 6 to end the "i'm done with halo, 343 ruined everything" weekly threads (sorry faz) one way or another. shit or get off the pot folks ;)

"i'm done with halo, [insert someone's favorite dev here] ruined everything" is a concept timeless as mike dongblain himself

Trup1aya

Do think it's wise for Halo 6 to skip the Sept-Nov release window and go for Feb-March?

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea. But publishers are hesitant to experiment with moving away from the holidays.

I'd release H6 in the spring or even the summer to let it shine at a time when no other releases are in sight. instead of people having to choose between multiple high profile shooters, there'd likely be just one.

Then I'd have a substantial update release during the holidays to reinvigorate interest. That coupled with a holiday bundle would do well I think.

It would work best if the game is amazing. People buy great games regardless of when they come out.

As much as we all want Halo 6 to be top notch, I don't know if MS would allow the game to be pushed back. Halo is still one of their biggest IP's. Hitting that holiday release next year is probably really important to them. That being said, I'd be fine with 343 pushing it back as long as in the meantime they fed us some more dev made maps and 1-side objective gametype, or actually cleaned up tmcc properly.
"i'm done with halo, [insert someone's favorite dev here] ruined everything" is a concept timeless as mike dongblain himself
I think that mike dongblain guy was safe moist as dudes

Trup1aya

As much as we all want Halo 6 to be top notch, I don't know if MS would allow the game to be pushed back. Halo is still one of their biggest IP's. Hitting that holiday release next year is probably really important to them. That being said, I'd be fine with 343 pushing it back as long as in the meantime they fed us some more dev made maps and 1-side objective gametype, or actually cleaned up tmcc properly.

I think that mike dongblain guy was safe moist as dudes

You're right, holiday probably is important to them.

I just think the industry continues to over stress the importance of a holiday launch. Many games that launch in that window flop or see population drop offs when the biggest titles launch later in the season.

Yes people spend more $ during this period, but they still have to make choices. It makes sense to launch when their aren't many choices & people are starved for new games.

This is the difference between Titan Fall 1 & 2 launches.

Cranster

Banned
There is that quote, often misquoted from Miyamoto I think, of a delayed game being good, but a rushed or bad game being bad forever. Halo 6 either needs to launch with as many features as Halo 5 NOW has, or they may as well pack it in and become also-rans in a genre Halo created. Cannot have another Soon™ situation.
I have to agree.

343 Industries needs to get it's act in gear and start living up to certain expectations at launch. Halo 5 had the overall least amount of content at launch than arguably Halo 2 (it had less maps and gametypes than Halo 1 at launch). They have the engine, they have the content working in the engine, now fix the art style and make a game we'll all enjoy at launch.

Top Bottom