• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians revealed - more at E3 - Fall 2015 [Box Art person is new guy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

The only thing that points to is ADS gameplay and honestly, I wouldn't put that past 343...

I really, really, really don't think 343 are stupid enough to do that. That would completely fuck with the game play and with them saying that stuff about how they've been listening to our complaints I'm not too worried.

Does anyone feel, because it's called Halo 5: Guardians, it will mean they will bring out 'other' Halo 5 branded games?

Interesting that the new guy is on top, maybe they feel no need to highlight MC as much and want to give the new guy some spotlight attention on this artwork. Still think this new guy will be introduced on the Halo TV series or a one off special before the games launch.

Game could possibly use the ODST style of open world, play as new guy, find traces of chief then play the scene as chief in that specific area, or even the other way round. I'm excited they have already mixed things up a bit.

Ape

Banned
Does anyone feel, because it's called Halo 5: Guardians, it will mean they will bring out 'other' Halo 5 branded games?

Interesting that the new guy is on top, maybe they feel no need to highlight MC as much and want to give the new guy some spotlight attention on this artwork. Still think this new guy will be introduced on the Halo TV series or a one off special before the games launch.

Game could possibly use the ODST style of open world, play as new guy, find traces of chief then play the scene as chief in that specific area, or even the other way round. I'm excited they have already mixed things up a bit.

Probably just a throw back to Halo: Combat Evolved.

jem0208

It is a bit weird considering its the first major numbered title with a subtitle.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, I was thinking the same thing. Part of me wonders if they'll give the option of buying the multiplayer separately under a different subtitle, like Halo 5: Arena or something.

tasch

Banned
it's called guardians because it's referenced at the end of halo 4 in the legendary ending. I think it's implying that the new enemy is the creation of the didacts dna thingy and that ultimately he reproduced the evolved human equivalent (like john after halo 4), to act as an opposing force to humans in the universe, but with more advanced armor. Or who knows, maybe there was a surviving human somewhere frozen on a shield world and he's back and pissed off.

I bet they'll use some rogue op type story line to try and introduce some infighting in outer systems, or some way of re-igniting a human - covie war. Maybe a corrupted cortana fragment is involved.

It is a bit weird considering its the first major numbered title with a subtitle.

well, except halo:ce. The real question is why it's guardians, since that implies more than one.

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. Part of me wonders if they'll give the option of buying the multiplayer separately under a different subtitle, like Halo 5: Arena or something.

It'd be smart to have multiplayer be an ongoing and evolving thing, with an continuous revenue stream model instead of blowing the system up every few years with a new game and spending a year getting matchmaking and playlists to the point they should be at which of course by that time most of the people that purchased the game abandoned the MP.

Dacon

Banned
People thought that was a female? I always thought the Spartan armor silhouette always made the sex of the person pretty obvious, especially in Halo Reach and 4.

Very interested in this development. Character could be the new "Chief" Oni was looking into recreating him somehow after all.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It'd be smart to have multiplayer be an ongoing and evolving thing, with an continuous revenue stream model instead of blowing the system up every few years with a new game and spending a year getting matchmaking and playlists to the point they should be at which of course by that time most of the people that purchased the game abandoned the MP.
I've been wanting that bad. I think it makes a lot of sense.

People thought that was a female? I always thought the Spartan armor silhouette always made the sex of the person pretty obvious, especially in Halo Reach and 4.

Very interested in this development. Character could be the new "Chief" Oni was looking into recreating him somehow after all.

Could be Halo 2 double story-line all over again. Which is really nice.

Hoping they don't pull a MGS2 on this one xD

Dacon

Banned
Now that I've thought about it and had time to not freak out, I think I'd be okay with ADS in the campaign but none in the mp.

MP ADS I feel would encourage too many people to turtle.

Now that I've thought about it and had time to not freak out, I think I'd be okay with ADS in the campaign but none in the mp.

MP ADS I feel would encourage too many people to turtle.

Would not make sense given how spartan suits get gun data feedback if im not mistaken.

nbraun80

it's called guardians because it's referenced at the end of halo 4 in the legendary ending. I think it's implying that the new enemy is the creation of the didacts dna thingy and that ultimately he reproduced the evolved human equivalent (like john after halo 4), to act as an opposing force to humans in the universe, but with more advanced armor. Or who knows, maybe there was a surviving human somewhere frozen on a shield world and he's back and pissed off.

I bet they'll use some rogue op type story line to try and introduce some infighting in outer systems, or some way of re-igniting a human - covie war. Maybe a corrupted cortana fragment is involved.

well, except halo:ce. The real question is why it's guardians, since that implies more than one.
Halo 4 legendary ending where Didact says in his speech, "We are forerunners, guardians of all that exists."

fable-2-box-art-front.jpg
reminds me of the resistance 2 boxart

Mindwipe

If the new character is supposed to be male the art direction is even uglier than I'd feared. 343 don't appear to have learned much.

I've been wanting that bad. I think it makes a lot of sense.

It makes too much sense.

Interrogator: "Do you believe the Master Chief succeeded because he was, at his core, broken?"

Halsey: "What does John have to do with this? …you want to replace him."

Interrogator: "The Master Chief is dead."

Halsey: "His file reads 'Missing in Action'."

Interrogator: Catherine, Spartans never die?

Man, I never thought the opening was that important, I really think the new character is ONI's attempt at creating a new "Master Chief".

Village

Interrogator: "Do you believe the Master Chief succeeded because he was, at his core, broken?"

Halsey: "What does John have to do with this? …you want to replace him."

Interrogator: "The Master Chief is dead."

Halsey: "His file reads 'Missing in Action'."

Interrogator: Catherine, Spartans never die?

Man, I never thought the opening was that important, I really think the new character is ONI's attempt at creating a new "Master Chief".

I hope the new guy is a catch all, and you get to make that guy.

Because they reinstated the spartan program.

There is no reason this dude has to be a specific dude.
If you needed to be voiced that badly , its halo. Put the money in for a few voices.

I hope the new guy is a catch all, and you get to make that guy.

Because they reinstated the spartan program.

There is no reason this dude has to be a specific dude.
If you needed to be voiced that badly , its halo. Put the money in for a few voices.

I think what will happen is that this new guy will have been broken down to the core, trying to replicate what they did to the chief.

When John finally sees this new Spartan who is a reflection of himself (look at the front cover for the connotation), it'll go down the Halo 4 route of him finding his humanity.

Homeboyd

Someone just please change the title to:

Halo 5: It's not box art and that's a dude.

This thread would be about 3 pages long with that one simple fix.

Ok my little boy reckons the new spartan is cortana he said in the same way jarvis controls ironman suit.

Cortana and chief are reflections of each other..

Hence it looks like a girl (even if it is a guy, it looks girly)

My boy is 10, I like his idea and no doubt better than whatever dribble they come up with.

And cortana aint dead.. its sci fi they can do whatever.

The box art is really bothering me. Let's say ONI guy is stalking Chief, MC should be on top and ONI guy should be the reflection.

Like so:

If, and only if, the case is that you, the player, are ONI guy trying to find/kill/save/whatever Master Chief, then I could understand you being on top... but it still bothers me.

Yeah, I prefer it flipped also.

Blueblur1

Someone just please change the title to:

Halo 5: It's not box art and that's a dude.

This thread would be about 3 pages long with that one simple fix.

Ok my little boy reckons the new spartan is cortana he said in the same way jarvis controls ironman suit.

Cortana and chief are reflections of each other..

Hence it looks like a girl (even if it is a guy, it looks girly)

My boy is 10, I like his idea and no doubt better than whatever dribble they come up with.

And cortana aint dead.. its sci fi they can do whatever.

Septic360

Banned
I think its Cortana....if not..its Palmer...

I kid I kid...

I actually reckon its a new protagonist that will get fleshed out in one of the new Halo live action films developed by Spielberg or the other chap.

Imagine...a story of a Spartan with a dark chequered past....

tumblr_lkdl78uKVT1qgun74.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Irrelevant if it is a guy, it looks like a chick.
And if most people are getting confused thinking its a chick then there is something wrong.
343i should adjust the armour if they want it to look more like a guy under there.

And as I said, I prefer my kids idea.
The armor is fine, lol. Not every dude has the same body type.

Blueblur1

Gotta say that my interested is piqued; I'm curious as to who that character exactly is and what his exact motives are. How's ONI in the lore lately? I haven't read a Halo book since Onyx which I didn't even finish.

ryan299

I'm surprised they kept 5 in the title. When you have this many sequels, you really need to drop the number and go with subtitles. I wanted a subtitle for Halo 4.

I think its Cortana....if not..its Palmer...

I kid I kid...

I actually reckon its a new protagonist that will get fleshed out in one of the new Halo live action films developed by Spielberg or the other chap.

Imagine...a story of a Spartan with a dark chequered past....

tumblr_lkdl78uKVT1qgun74.gif

Are they a lot of Spartans on Halo or is Master Chief the only one? He could be the ''last' Spartan or a rogue one.

Casanova

You know, I might actually have to purchase an Xbox one just so i can play this game. I was going to make a complete transition to Playstation, but being a true halo-fan, it would be really painful.

Considering Halo 4 was 343's first full game title, Halo 5 is shaping up to be quite promising.

Chettlar

Banned
Are they a lot of Spartans on Halo or is Master Chief the only one? He could be the ''last' Spartan or a rogue one.

I'm not entirely up on the lore, but as I understand it:

Srg. Johnson was part of the Orion program, in hindsight known as the Spartan 1s (that's why he's so badass and doesn't die like other marines).

Chief is one of the last Spartan IIs. I believe Jorge was one.

Carter, Kat, and those from Noble Team in Reach were Spartan IIIs.

All of the above (maybe minus the Spartan 1s, idk) were augmented since about six years old, thus the name, if you know your history, "Spartans."

Spartan IVs (such as palmer and all the people in Halo 4), aren't really the same. They were already trained marines, sometimes ODSTs. Not really true "Spartans" in the since that they were trained and augmented since childhood.

That's why the older smartens are usually bigger and stuff than the newer once. Being augmented since childhood, they were more malleable.

This is also why everybody hates Halsey. She kidnapped little kids to make them into supersoldiers. She thinks she's justified because her work saved the planet.

Are we really, really sure it is a guy?

That tweet could be some misdirection, as it's main point seem to be that it's a new person in that suit. Maybe they're not yet ready to reaveal its a female.

AdanVC

It would be amazing if the new character on the cover was a girl ala Samus Aran. BTW, this looks damn exciting, Master Chief looks awesome. The cover looks so meh. Typical cliche cover art using orange and blue colors on the composition to give it a movie poster feel.

Definitely a guy. Confirmed from 343i, heck, even Frankie says it in this thread.

Right, but I'm saying that they might not want to reveal it is a gal, and if they were tip-toeing around it then people would for sure know that it is a gal.
BUT, if they "made a mistake" at this point in time, it would be a huge surprise if it turned out to be a she.

#teamshe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom