• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 main protagonist is Agent Locke;playing as the "primary character", says actor

Flintty

Kind of what I expected since that awesome trailer with Locke and Arbiter in it. No surprises here :)

Glad for the Stinkles confirmation that MC will always be the Alpha though.

Perhaps we will get a Locke off shoot game. Tactical team shooter ftw!

Lame. Would have been way cooler if the eventual movie the surprise twist was a little Denzel action.

Anyway, I'm totally down for playing as other characters in halo 5.
It should be the case. Gotta expand that lore and add a little personality, especially if you want to do tv and films.

We've known he's white since Halo: The Flood. Not really all that shocking or worthy of a twist really.

Toa TAK

Banned
Real talk, I would gladly play a game who's VO is just all Keith David. Keith David, featuring Keith David, also starring Keith David, and in his farewall performance, Keith David.

Yeeeeaaaah! Keith David has a killer voice.

Halo 5 is sounding to be an epic campaign. Wonder how long it will be.

Hopefully longer than the standard length since Halo 3.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I hope they found out how to write a non-grating character after 4. Palmer and Halsey together in one game is too much.

Not that blank slates like whoever we played in Spartan Ops is an improvement.

JimiNutz

Banned
I like Master Chief and am glad that Frankie has confirmed in this thread that there are no plans to retire him but I think it's also a really smart move to try and introduce and flesh out the characters around him.

Hoping for more of the Arbiter in Halo 5 and obviously Locke. Maybe even space for another character to be introduced further down the line - possibly a female Spartan so that we have a crew of four.

Lone Wolf

Shame, Chief should be killed off, or at least go mental and be "put down" by ONI.

I think it would be pretty powerful if 343 could properly pull it off. But I'm biased, I'm a sucker for killing off the main character mid story and having the rest of the narrative focus on the lack of the protagonists presence and how it effects people.
There is no reason to kill Chief off. I don't think most fans want that, and if we took control of Agent Locke and we had to kill Chief, I honestly think I wouldn't be able to do it.

I just want to play as chief, why is is that so hard :(

I have no interest in these other players

If I wanted to play a Halo game that doesn't revolve around chief I'll play ODST again

I don't get gamers' supposed preference for nameless/faceless protagonists.

Maybe gamers should learn what empathy is instead of wanting to be the fucking hero all the goddamn time. :)

I don't want this. I want Chief. I don't want any new characters... Just give me the Chief.

Locke was cool when I thought he was just played for one or two of the ten missions. If he's replacing the Chief that character can just never ever exist.

ODST and Reach showed a Halo game without the Chief aren't as good.

343 please no. :(

EDIT: Should have read more of the thread instead of just the OP and replying. Thank you based Frankie. Halo 5 will be awesome. <3

JoJoSono

Banned
Don't see a problem honestly. I kind of think Master Chief is a pretty crappy character so I don't care If you don't play as him. I enjoyed Reach and ODST more then the other games when it came to single player. I just want an actual exciting game. Halo 4 just felt so meh in the end. If having a new character allows them to do new things for whatever reason, I say go ahead.

Through numerous Halo games I've played as (over 10!) different characters. None of them have ever made me fear losing the Chief as the central protagonist of the franchise, but all of them have given me a new perspective and a new appreciation of the depth of the universe.

For any new games, bring on playable Locke/Gravemind/Didact/Mendicant Bias, whoever. It all goes into the Halo pot for a delicious story stew. Meanwhile I'll have The Master Chief Collection as my John 117 shrine.

Impala26

I have a feeling they will. I was so relaxed when Bungie gave Halo to 343 just because of all the reassurance they gave and there were some Bungie employees still at 343. Then Halo 4 came out and it was drained of any soul.

You mean the way Destiny came out and basically proved that Bungie doesn't really have any good original ideas anymore? The utter hyperbole concerning Halo 4 that's wafted around GAF and the internet at large has been mind-numbing to me. All I have to say is that Halo 4 was the first game in the series where I actually felt for John the human rather than all the "things" Master Chief is surrounded by or happening to. Up until then he was always this faceless guy who was told by either someone in the UNSC or Cortana what to do next and, without actually saying it aloud most of the time, was like "okay, yup, sure thing."

I actually have no problem with this focusing on a different character in the universe. I also like the idea that Chief has gone AWOL from the UNSC/ONI and has sort of become this Rambo-esque character that's more legend than an actual human being. I'll especially be willing to welcome Agent Locke with open arms if, as his ties with the Arbiter are to be believed, he exposes elements of Thursday War (the Sangheili civil war that occurs post-Halo 3) within a main Halo game proper.

I predict that Locke's main conflict will be with Jul M'dama and his faction, while Chief will have his hands full with even BIGGER fish to fry, like remnant Forerunner defense systems or even possibly
the much larger threat to all life in the universe, the Precusors and their Flood scourge.

Picobrain

Banned
Does it matters who is the main protagonist? I mean its fps game you dont get to see his face. If the game is good i dont care who is the main guy.

Fehyd

Banned
I probably liked John in Halo 4 more than in any other game. That being said, Reach was still my favorite, character and story wise.

Unfortunately i probably won't be playing this for a while or at least until Xbone is at bargain basement prices.

Halo is still the main character?

Well, he is a cool guy, and doesn't afraid of nothin'.

I have confidence that 343i knows what they're doing though. I have really enjoyed the Halo lore (starting with the Nylund books waaay back up until the Forerunner trilogy) and I'm looking forward (unto dawn lawl) to the Locke series.

slimfitcasual

Neo Member
to be honest i couldnt even tell you what halo 4 was about and ive beaten it twice

A splinter group of Covenant stir up bad guy Didact who decides to get all pew-pew genocidal with his Tron lasers. MC returns from cryosleep to stop him but Cortana sacrifices herself in the process. Roll creds.

Akai__

Who the fuck is Agent Locke?

You could see him in the Halo MCC reveal trailer. He is also the main character for the Halo: Nightfall (Timestamp: 1:45-1:46) TV show.

Learn to read what your fanbase wants, old man.

Not defending anybody here, but the fanbase doesn't know what it wants. It's pretty difficult to please them all. I just hope for a better campaing, than Halo 4 was and that they aren't killing/replacing Chief, which Frankie already denied.

tootsi666

How can someone like Chief as a character? He is (or was before H4) just an empty shell in the games. Thel was always the better protagonist (and they left him out of Halo 4 Sadface).

Not defending anybody here, but the fanbase doesn't know what it wants. It's pretty difficult to please them all. I just hope for a better campaing, than Halo 4 was and that they aren't killing/replacing Chief, which Frankie already denied.

:p I was just being an ass to Frankie. He's my pal, my chum.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't get gamers' supposed preference for nameless/faceless protagonists.

Maybe gamers should learn what empathy is instead of wanting to be the fucking hero all the goddamn time. :)
I don't get judging the presence of absence of character based upon whether they have a face or name or not. Also, I have no idea what this has to do with empathy.

I certainly didn't need to see the Master Chief's face to understand his place in the story and what his character means in the grander scheme of things (or lore), which is what makes Halo special in the first place.

lefantome

Halo 4, the first chapter of the new trilogy, was focused on the relationship between MC and Cortana.

Now they are scrapping it? wtf Microsoft.
I hope Locke is only playable in a prologue but we have seen the cover. The best we can hope is something similar to Halo 2, which isn't bad but It doesn't make any sense to me because of what we've seen in Halo 4.

I've never been so pessimistic about the Halo franchise. I hope the MCC is an indication of their plan for the multiplayer at least.

fedexpeon

Banned
Probably a good thing if you ask me. Master chief had the personality of a wet sack of rocks.

Well, he is a cybernetic altered super soldier so his personality might be blend due to his military values and upholding its honor.
People might find that boring, but I find that MC has a hint of cockiness and humor with his traditional military personality.
Great character development? Not really, but hey, his actions speak louder than his personality.

I would be happy if locke was playable like catwoman is in arkham city, small chunks spread around the game, something like 10-15% of the play time being him instead of chief.

60/40 arbiter was a little sour for me back in the day, didn't help that some of his missions were long and a little boring.

Interfectum

Halo 4, the first chapter of the new trilogy, was focused on the relationship between MC and Cortana.

Now they are scrapping it? wtf Microsoft.
I hope Locke is only playable in a prologue but we have seen the cover. The best we can hope is something similar to Halo 2, which isn't bad but It doesn't make any sense to me because of what we've seen in Halo 4.

I've never been so pessimistic about the Halo franchise. I hope the MCC is an indication of their plan for the multiplayer at least.

You just can't relate to Locke, can you?

Top Bottom