• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5- Where does Microsoft go from here? The good, the bad and the Halo 5

Hopefully Microsoft and 343i takes the series in the current direction it is going. Halo 5 was excellent. Keep going from there and put split-screen back in and we're good.

ODST 2 will right the ship.

Hahah. 1st post nails it.

I'm all over the MP at the moment but that lust will fade. I can see myself still playing SWAT and Doubles (when we are allowed to) in future months.

I like the fact that they made Halo 5 and I enjoyed the game. I liked the clamber as I feel it made for better map design. I could do without sprint but it's fine.

Halo 6 is not where it's at though - ODST for the win!

I want to float a thought, but I want to preface that I'm a big fan of 343's work, including 4, and I think Halo 5 in many ways is the best of the series so far.

But I was just wondering, if (comparatively) low sales might have a knock on effect on budget for Halo 6, which might then lead to a much smaller-scale and intimate instalment of the franchise. Main line Halo is following a predictable trend of bigger, more epic scale with each new game in an attempt to outdo themselves. But I'm wondering, broadly speaking, whether being forced to rein this in might actually be beneficial for the campaign and the franchise.

I hope it makes them finally give up on trying to recreate Halo 3 every single time, design-wise. I think the direction they're taking the story is much better suited for a longer game with RPG-lite elements and not just non-stop running and shooting all the time with the customary warthog, scorpion, and flying sections somewhere in between. The core gameplay is there in Halo 5 but it feels like 343i are being overly cautious.

I think lack of Firefight and Campaign Scoring were big losses to H4 and H5 and they need to return. What 343 have brought in place of these (basically Spartan Ops for non-MP folks) is not good enough.

Campaign Scoring was tremendous fun, and I miss Firefight - and the bizarre thing is Prometheans are perfectly suited to Firefight IMO!

Yeah this too. The Halo 5 sandbox would be perfectly suited for Firefight and most of the work seems to be already there in Warzone, AND they could add Reqs to it without upsetting anyone so it would be an additional source of revenue for them. Everyone wins.

I think lack of Firefight and Campaign Scoring were big losses to H4 and H5 and they need to return. What 343 have brought in place of these (basically Spartan Ops for non-MP folks) is not good enough.

Campaign Scoring was tremendous fun, and I miss Firefight - and the bizarre thing is Prometheans are perfectly suited to Firefight IMO!

ShamePain

Banned
343 just doesn't understand what makes halo halo. A team consisting of people that used to make cod and killzone isn't gonna suddenly make halo like Bungie, and MP being tailored to Pro Gamers has led to extremely boring and stale maps with no standout features.
MS' best bet is to buy Bungie back for like 5 billion bucks or put Halo aside. 343 is clearly clueless as to how to make a proper halo game.

Trup1aya

343 just doesn't understand what makes halo halo. A team consisting of people that used to make cod and killzone isn't gonna suddenly make halo like Bungie, and MP being tailored to Pro Gamers has led to extremely boring and stale maps with no standout features.
MS' best bet is to buy Bungie back for like 5 billion bucks or put Halo aside. 343 is clearly clueless as to how to make a proper halo game.

What does this even mean? Halo is different things to different people. If you put Halo1,2,3,5 and Reach in a line up, they all have major similarities and differences, but I'd say that Reach is the one that doesn't fit with the rest of the group.

Anon67

Are they gonna fix the aiming anytime soon? acceleration is awful in halo.

There should be an update in December that addresses this issue. I agree, the acceleration, the dead zones, all of it is pretty off and is hampering my enjoyment.

I asked this question in response to someone elses post and didnt get a reply but what exactly makes Halo, HALO? Because according to a few Gafers 343i doesnt "understand" it at all. Lol

Shame can you answer since you are one of those who are claiming such things?

Each Halo game is different, so which is the quintessential Halo?

IMO Halo 2 (dual wield) and Halo Reach (squad and perks/abilities) are the ones that FEEl least Halo to me, but they are still very much Halo. That applies to both 4 and 5 IMO.

And Bungie obviously wanted to make Destiny - I think a lot of that is why Reach is the way it is. Getting them back is not going to magically change things.

I think people really fail to appreciate certain aspects of a series, and what it is that defines that series is a very personal and subjective thing, and for Halo there are so many different things that may define Halo for different people:-

It's not nostalgia IMO, but something akin - I think some people put either CE or Halo 2 or 3 etc on a pedestal because that was when Halo was pretty much the ONLY console option, and back then folks were younger and probably lived and breathed those experiences.

I KNOW that I am biased / nostalgic for CE because it has so many memories and playing through it again rekindles something great. None of the Halos after CE have had the same effect on me, but they were all (for good or ill) Halo games and collectively define the Halo experience.

I'm not an avid MP player, so can only really rank the campaigns, but right now my ranking is:-

Halo CE >>> Halo 3: ODST >> Halo 3 > Halo 5 >> Halo 4 >>> Halo Reach > Halo 2

I'm sure there are MANY people that have a hugely different ranking, and mine tends to change around. It will no doubt change again after completing MCC and Halo 5 again on Legendary, but I'm quite sure that Reach and Halo 2 will still be my least favourite campaigns at the end of things, and they are both Bungie games.

Jinaar

Gaf just doesn't understand what makes halo halo. A forum consisting of people that used to play cod and killzone isn't gonna suddenly like halo from 343, and MP being tailored to controller skill has led to extremely intense and evolving maps with no standout way to attain great k/d ratios with limited gamer skill.

MS' best bet is to get high for like 5 billion bucks and put Halo warzone on loop in studio to play. Gaf is clearly clueless as to how to enjoy video gaming.
Just how I see the issue with a few gaffers

Outrun

The Halo ship does not need turning around.

Some things I would like:

Play as John 117 completely

Get rid of those 30 second levels

Kick the story in high gear

A campaign length that is longer

-----------

I got no problem with clamber or sprint...

I get that there's maps "coming" but I feel like 343 and Bungie have shot themselves in the foot with how maps have been handled recently.

In Reach, the Invasion mode required its own maps, which meant you now had 3 pools of maps (Arena style, BTB style, Invasion). It made Invasion get stale quickly with it's 2 or 3 maps, and it felt unfulfilling at launch when compared to H2-H3.

In H5, we have Warzone, Breakout, Arena, and soon to be BTB. That's 4 pools of maps that are all drastically different, with little overlap. I know they've tweaked it recently, but Arena Slayer was 5 maps on repeat, Warzone is 3, and the tedium sets in fast.

Compare it to almost any CoD, where almost all maps are used for all modes (exceptions being tiny ones). It makes it feel so much more varied with there's 10-12 maps in a playlist. When I play for an hour I shouldn't play multiple maps multiple times unless we voted for that- which is gone anyways.

It's cool that 343 wanted new modes- Warzone and Breakout are nifty. But maybe Breakout should've been saved a for an "expansion" type deal or something. Idk.

I get that there's maps "coming" but I feel like 343 and Bungie have shot themselves in the foot with how maps have been handled recently.

In Reach, the Invasion mode required its own maps, which meant you now had 3 pools of maps (Arena style, BTB style, Invasion). It made Invasion get stale quickly with it's 2 or 3 maps, and it felt unfulfilling at launch when compared to H2-H3.

In H5, we have Warzone, Breakout, Arena, and soon to be BTB. That's 4 pools of maps that are all drastically different, with little overlap. I know they've tweaked it recently, but Arena Slayer was 5 maps on repeat, Warzone is 3, and the tedium sets in fast.

Compare it to almost any CoD, where almost all maps are used for all modes (exceptions being tiny ones). It makes it feel so much more varied with there's 10-12 maps in a playlist. When I play for an hour I shouldn't play multiple maps multiple times unless we voted for that- which is gone anyways.

It's cool that 343 wanted new modes- Warzone and Breakout are nifty. But maybe Breakout should've been saved a for an "expansion" type deal or something. Idk.

I agree with this on some level. I think if there was a Warzone Firefight gametype that used the standard maps this would be less of a problem, since I feel all the effort that has gone into Warzone maps isn't fully utilised at the moment.

Breakout is great though and I'm happy there's a good selection of maps for it.

I hope we eventually will get some maps that work for both BTB and Arena like Zanzibar, that's something I miss right now.

Alright, worked on a part 2 beyond the visuals and moved over to actual map design. Keep in mind this is just my personal opinion and I understand not everyone agrees.

A lot of the issues i am going to bring forth are probably a result of having sprint, clamber in the game. And a lot of the issues can be gotten rid of with taking out clamber, sprint or both.

In the group of pictures we will go over the following ideas that will be covered

Sight lines- these are visble paths that help you keep track of enemies across map, or some where on the map. Also provides lines in which you shoot the opposing team and....

Choke points- these are points that are more or less forced or need to be used in situations

Levels- the basic idea of levels, how many layers is around and how it affects movement and shots

Rush points- I would like to consider rush points as the idea of going around a wall or area to finish a kill or gain entry to a choke point

Cover - cover is the basic idea of getting into a position that makes you had to kill

Clutter- Clutter is an idea when you basically have too many things on the map, in the way or just adding visual points to a map that make it harder to see or move. There is a fine line between Cover, Choke points, Rush points, and clutter. What can make or break it will be covered.

First up let's show some good examples of clutter that many people see mentioned for Halo 5

HDFq0Xn.jpg

Pic 1- too many obstacles and varying levels to block movement or sight lines

Pic 2 - this one follows the sight line issues a eve when you do get shots with the sight lines provided you cant do rush points, because going around to finish off kills is blocked by big barries, then layers are a bit more forced and clamber is engaged

Pic 3- Just a lot of clutter and kills sight lines

Pic 4- Just a great example of clutter that breaks most everything, breaks sight lines, breaks rush points etc

Pic 5- Again, the clutter and walls just breaks sight points and forces you must chase people or find them in close range to kill them.

From the halo 3 pics provdied you can see that the clutter and cover provided makes it easy to engage and push in for a kill or push in to your death. In various pictures you can also see how it's easy to spot people in many sight points to go for shots with snipe such as narrows, or to push in for better positions to create a tactical advantage since you were spotting them on the good sight points before they realized where you were.

next up

Rush Points-

Tda9TQq.jpg

Pic 1 - in pic one if I am shooting a guy coming around the tube like structure, I can't easily go around and flank him in the rush point. i either need to rush him straight on, or forget about it. I can try to go around and rush him but he will either be gone or he will push the opposite side. either way, a very hard rush point. Halo 5 has these issues in spades.

Pic 2- In this pic you can see where rush points and levels play a big roll in making the game more hard. I can't easily run around and flush out a good Rush point here. The guy has too many options to run back and we won't be hitting any choke points to kill one another.

Pic 3- Same as above

Pic 4- Just a lot of big walled areas and clutter making kills difficult , needing to push in close

Pic 5- Rush point issues

Pic 6- this is an interesting one, if I am on bridge and I light the guy up across map, I simply can't finish him. I may be able to time some nice jumps to the rocket launcher spawn area but that only helps if he actually goes there. Getting to the rush point and sight line kills here is really difficult. Levels also plays an issue here as well.

More sight line, rush ponits, choke point issues

k0yM84Q.jpg

Pic 1- This is a levels issue, while the halo 3 pic has big walls, the choke points are still more chokeable. In the halo 5 shot the levels and random walls just hurts the basic idea of gameplay.

Pic 2- These big walls that I have been referring to cuts way down on sight lines and makes it near impossible to tell where other players are.

Pic 3- Same as above...

Pic 4- Same as above

Pic 5- Look at how huge these walls are compare to my character on the left- it''s no wonder I need sprint to get around these huge walls, Would take me quite a while to get any sight lines or visibility of people without sprint and this is why we need sprint out, so we can stop with these badly designed maps.

Pic 6- this is a bit of the issues I find when I say a map is stretched out, bad sight lines, bad choke points , this map has most of it all

Even if I get some nice shots on a person, they have easy access to walls, and I have no rush points, no choke points and I have to cover a ton of distance and climbing to try it. With a good team this map is more manageble but it's more work than it's worth.

Distance issues again

pY5AXrv.jpg

Pic 1- not only is there distance issues, it's also a lot of bad sight lines, I honestly would have a hard time finishing anyone off under me, I'd have to chase them or know they are there and even then with then sprinting around everywhere who knows which turn they actually took. Also, even across map on the SAME level provides a lot of sight line issues.

Pic 2- I have to jump up to be shot at, which isn't a huge problem, but there is no where to shoot from without standing up in broad day light, other wise I can't see anything anyways, this is almost 1/8th of the map in this overall area. And I have no sight lines except up high.

Pic 3- Just more big walls and issues

Conclusion- I chose Halo 3 because I simply believe it has the best maps in the series (my personal opinion yes)

If halo 3 has a big wall, it's part of a specific part of the map like you find in high ground, rocket, sniper area and it provides a decent choke point. A lot of the maps in halo 3 are on a 1 layer flat level, with 2 levels provided in sections of the map. They provide good sight lines , easy to do rush points and they aren't cluttered.

Even when a map has 3 main levels such as construct they are created in such a way that you can still see and flank and get out of situations in unique ways.

maps like standoff provide rocks that give you the choice of pushing out to finish a kill or lose your battle and be killed. Other than that, they don't clutter things up that create issues in getting into your battles.

So, basically I feel clamber and sprint are some of the big issues for the things I have presented, map design is also bad in it self even if sprint wasn't in the game.

Sight lines really are a big failure in the game, can't see where people are, can't get decent shots at each other and make choices to push out to finish a kill etc

*Fathom doesn't show nearly as many of these issues, so I left it out of the comparison.

Kssio_Aug

People from NA or EU may not be noticing it, but 343 is making sure to kill the game in South America and other regions.

Being very honest, I really think Halo 5 is a great game to play. It fails in certain areas such as repeating too much the same boss during campaign or adding horribly ugly maps together with their initial playlists, but the game overall is high quality imo! But 343 has a problem dealing with fans... They sure do!

People are raging at Halo Waypoint cause cant find matches and 343 totally ignored the issue! Its almost a month of complaints without them giving any attention to it.

Also, I cant deny I was disappointed by some of their marketing tactics. As saying we would have a bunch of maps in day one but not saying forge maps were included, or saying we would have an scarab-like battle (even bigger) when actually there's not such a thing.

If they want people to keep enjoying Halo, if they want to keep the franchise as a well known and high quality gaming series, they better be more honest to Halo fans and give them more credibility.

mcrommert

Banned
Alright, worked on a part 2 beyond the visuals and moved over to actual map design. Keep in mind this is just my personal opinion and I understand not everyone agrees.

A lot of the issues i am going to bring forth are probably a result of having sprint, clamber in the game. And a lot of the issues can be gotten rid of with taking out clamber, sprint or both.

In the group of pictures we will go over the following ideas that will be covered

Sight lines- these are visble paths that help you keep track of enemies across map, or some where on the map. Also provides lines in which you shoot the opposing team and....

Choke points- these are points that are more or less forced or need to be used in situations

Levels- the basic idea of levels, how many layers is around and how it affects movement and shots

Rush points- I would like to consider rush points as the idea of going around a wall or area to finish a kill or gain entry to a choke point

Cover - cover is the basic idea of getting into a position that makes you had to kill

Clutter- Clutter is an idea when you basically have too many things on the map, in the way or just adding visual points to a map that make it harder to see or move. There is a fine line between Cover, Choke points, Rush points, and clutter. What can make or break it will be covered.

First up let's show some good examples of clutter that many people see mentioned for Halo 5

HDFq0Xn.jpg

Pic 1- too many obstacles and varying levels to block movement or sight lines

Pic 2 - this one follows the sight line issues a eve when you do get shots with the sight lines provided you cant do rush points, because going around to finish off kills is blocked by big barries, then layers are a bit more forced and clamber is engaged

Pic 3- Just a lot of clutter and kills sight lines

Pic 4- Just a great example of clutter that breaks most everything, breaks sight lines, breaks rush points etc

Pic 5- Again, the clutter and walls just breaks sight points and forces you must chase people or find them in close range to kill them.

From the halo 3 pics provdied you can see that the clutter and cover provided makes it easy to engage and push in for a kill or push in to your death. In various pictures you can also see how it's easy to spot people in many sight points to go for shots with snipe such as narrows, or to push in for better positions to create a tactical advantage since you were spotting them on the good sight points before they realized where you were.

next up

Rush Points-

Tda9TQq.jpg

Pic 1 - in pic one if I am shooting a guy coming around the tube like structure, I can't easily go around and flank him in the rush point. i either need to rush him straight on, or forget about it. I can try to go around and rush him but he will either be gone or he will push the opposite side. either way, a very hard rush point. Halo 5 has these issues in spades.

Pic 2- In this pic you can see where rush points and levels play a big roll in making the game more hard. I can't easily run around and flush out a good Rush point here. The guy has too many options to run back and we won't be hitting any choke points to kill one another.

Pic 3- Same as above

Pic 4- Just a lot of big walled areas and clutter making kills difficult , needing to push in close

Pic 5- Rush point issues

Pic 6- this is an interesting one, if I am on bridge and I light the guy up across map, I simply can't finish him. I may be able to time some nice jumps to the rocket launcher spawn area but that only helps if he actually goes there. Getting to the rush point and sight line kills here is really difficult. Levels also plays an issue here as well.

More sight line, rush ponits, choke point issues

k0yM84Q.jpg

Pic 1- This is a levels issue, while the halo 3 pic has big walls, the choke points are still more chokeable. In the halo 5 shot the levels and random walls just hurts the basic idea of gameplay.

Pic 2- These big walls that I have been referring to cuts way down on sight lines and makes it near impossible to tell where other players are.

Pic 3- Same as above...

Pic 4- Same as above

Pic 5- Look at how huge these walls are compare to my character on the left- it''s no wonder I need sprint to get around these huge walls, Would take me quite a while to get any sight lines or visibility of people without sprint and this is why we need sprint out, so we can stop with these badly designed maps.

Pic 6- this is a bit of the issues I find when I say a map is stretched out, bad sight lines, bad choke points , this map has most of it all

Even if I get some nice shots on a person, they have easy access to walls, and I have no rush points, no choke points and I have to cover a ton of distance and climbing to try it. With a good team this map is more manageble but it's more work than it's worth.

Distance issues again

pY5AXrv.jpg

Pic 1- not only is there distance issues, it's also a lot of bad sight lines, I honestly would have a hard time finishing anyone off under me, I'd have to chase them or know they are there and even then with then sprinting around everywhere who knows which turn they actually took. Also, even across map on the SAME level provides a lot of sight line issues.

Pic 2- I have to jump up to be shot at, which isn't a huge problem, but there is no where to shoot from without standing up in broad day light, other wise I can't see anything anyways, this is almost 1/8th of the map in this overall area. And I have no sight lines except up high.

Pic 3- Just more big walls and issues

Conclusion- I chose Halo 3 because I simply believe it has the best maps in the series (my personal opinion yes)

If halo 3 has a big wall, it's part of a specific part of the map like you find in high ground, rocket, sniper area and it provides a decent choke point. A lot of the maps in halo 3 are on a 1 layer flat level, with 2 levels provided in sections of the map. They provide good sight lines , easy to do rush points and they aren't cluttered.

Even when a map has 3 main levels such as construct they are created in such a way that you can still see and flank and get out of situations in unique ways.

maps like standoff provide rocks that give you the choice of pushing out to finish a kill or lose your battle and be killed. Other than that, they don't clutter things up that create issues in getting into your battles.

So, basically I feel clamber and sprint are some of the big issues for the things I have presented, map design is also bad in it self even if sprint wasn't in the game.

Sight lines really are a big failure in the game, can't see where people are, can't get decent shots at each other and make choices to push out to finish a kill etc

*Fathom doesn't show nearly as many of these issues, so I left it out of the comparison.

Making a wall of text doesn't mean your points are actually any good...and they aren't

Seriously the complaints you have about halo 5 seem to boil down to you aren't good at halo 5

So get gud ;)

Making a wall of text doesn't mean your points are actually any good...and they aren't

Seriously the complaints you have about halo 5 seem to boil down to you aren't good at halo 5

So get gud ;)

I list points for each photo, maybe you can tell me where they are wrong instead of ignoring what I said. You ignored what i said cause you didn't want to take the time to read it and you feel your idea is already right, and you are right to have your own idea but you should understan what I am saying and talk about what i am saying other than just saying my points aren't good. The points are what a lot of halo fans don't like about the maps, if you enjoy the maps that is fine. Then you won't agree with what I don't like.

it was a good writeup nipper--the h5 maps are a huge problem

Thanks man, appreciate the read. i know it's hard to read big reads and I sometimes have to crank down on something when someone has put effort into expression them self. Thanks man, took me a lot longer to do it than it takes to read so Thanks, and I hope it made some of the ideas people feel about sight lines and other things a bit more easy to understand as it can be quite hard to grasp without playing.

So get gud ;)

That's a bit harsh. He just seems to have a more specific idea of how Halo should play than most. There's also some truth to his previous complaints about it being difficult to distinguish different parts of maps, I only ever notice it when I spawn in SWAT but it's a bit annoying.

That we're even complaining about this kind of stuff is really a testament to how solid the core gameplay is though, just needs more content!

I list points for each photo, maybe you can tell me where they are wrong instead of ignoring what I said. You ignored what i said cause you didn't want to take the time to read it and you feel your idea is already right, and you are right to have your own idea but you should understan what I am saying and talk about what i am saying other than just saying my points aren't good. The points are what a lot of halo fans don't like about the maps, if you enjoy the maps that is fine. Then you won't agree with what I don't like.

its not that i disagree with your points, idk if i do.

i just...like halo 5 maps? i like halo 5?

idk. the game plays beautifully for me

That's a bit harsh. He just seems to have a more specific idea of how Halo should play than most. There's also some truth to his previous complaints about it being difficult to distinguish different parts of maps, I only ever notice it when I spawn in SWAT but it's a bit annoying.

That we're even complaining about this kind of stuff is really a testament to how solid the core gameplay is though, just needs more content!

It's fine, I just wish if he didn't agree that he would pull a photo out and say I don't feel this part is cluttered because.... Or I feel the big walled areas here are ok because.... It's hard to have actual discussion if people just say your wrong! I'm willing to talk with anyone who is willing to talk though :)

its not that i disagree with your points, idk if i do.

i just...like halo 5 maps? i like halo 5?

idk. the game plays beautifully for me

Ok you like the maps, but for me there are a lot of issues that makes the overall gameplay worse. It isn't that the gameplay is so bad (even though I'd rather sprint and clamber was out) I feel the maps are actually designed quite poorly for the reasons I have listed.

I can kind of see why people would like the maps, but I think a lot of players that loved old halo maps could have a higher chance of not liking Halo 5 maps. There will of course be players that like both.

It's fine, I just wish if he didn't agree that he would pull a photo out and say I don't feel this part is cluttered because.... Or I feel the big walled areas here are ok because.... It's hard to have actual discussion if people just say your wrong! I'm willing to talk with anyone who is willing to talk though :)

FWIW I think the reason the sightlines and rush points are less open in Halo 5 maps is because everyone spawns with a powerful precision weapon in all game modes. With Halo 3's open sightlines and rush points the overall weapon balance wouldn't work as well, it would just end up like BR starts in Halo 3 where you only ever pick up power weapons and I feel they've really tried to make as many weapons/playstyles as possible viable in Arena this time. I suspect you will get more classic Halo maps in BTB.

Top Bottom