• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

malfcn

Playing BC for now. Is Full Pixel the only decent way..all my zoom options cut res off..either boxes on the sides, or all around during scenes. :(

The scope glitch is funny.
Play co-op and get a scoped weapon.
Scope a few times to see how it should be (smooth scope in animation).
Other player now does something that puts them in third person. Dying, warthog driver, ghost, etc.
Witness your new janky scope.

Quite jarring

senador

Banned
Devin Olsen said:
SC Terminal Spoiler
SC Terminal is near the Hunters

AotCR Skull Spoiler
in the last outdoor area before you go into the control room... Search around!

Thanks Devin!

These terminals are really good.

smilebig1337 said:
Here is the second episode for those of you who are still on edge and want to see how much better the game looks before you actually drop 40 dollars on it:
Halo CE Part 2: The Landing and a Terminal

There are obviously some spoilers in there, so don't watch it if you don't want anything to get spoiled.
grunts spoke english in reach, elites did not...which is the proper Halo CE way, hated talking elites in 2-3

Nutter

senador said:
Thanks Devin!

These terminals are really good.

His Attack on the Control Room skull location is bogus..

There are 2 skulls on that level. 1 is in the room before you go outside (ground floor) for the first time. Second is in the underground chasm.

Lima

Yeah I know how it works and I only play Halo with people that live in my country. We have like the best connections available and I never experienced any lag in Halo Co-op that made it unplayable.

Anniversary is. Even with the greatest connection in the world the game is fucked.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Finished AotCR. Playing that level as the Chief by yourself with Cortana mumbling in your head while you explore beautiful Forerunner interiors shot my hype up for Halo 4 like crazy. I cannot wait to do that in Halo 4. Soooo good.

Zeal said:
I have a feeling we are going to see Linda in Halo 4 and beyond.
It's a cool little detail that's there because it makes sense, given the books. I don't see anything there that suggests what you're thinking.

smilebig1337

Neo Member
GodfatherX said:
grunts spoke english in reach, elites did not...which is the proper Halo CE way, hated talking elites in 2-3

That's not true. The grunts in Reach did not speak English. There was an Easter Egg that had them speaking English when they talked in their sleep, but the grunts spoke in their own language throughout the rest of Reach.

Easter Egg video

Also, quoted from the Halo Wiki:

"Yet in all the Halo games, with the exception of Halo: Reach, the Grunts speak English and they do not sound like dogs at all. This is because the prelude to the book takes place nearly twenty years before the events of the games, before advanced translation software was invented and utilized by the UNSC armed forces."

Is this port of halo based on the PC version? because even on Heroic I am finding the game tougher then halo 3 and reach was for sure, I know the pc version had some AI tweaks to counter the superior mouse aiming speeds, feels like that carried over to anniversery or something.

Anyone else having sound issues with the campaign? Playing Reach multiplayer from the disc sounds as superb as normal through my 5.1 headphones, but the campaign (with the new sound) is horrible. Cortana is barely audible at times, and the dialog as a whole is way too low compared to the sound effects. Hopefully there's a fix that I'm missing, because this is really disappointing.

squidhands said:
Anyone else having sound issues with the campaign? Playing Reach multiplayer from the disc sounds as superb as normal through my 5.1 headphones, but the campaign (with the new sound) is horrible. Cortana is barely audible at times, and the dialog as a whole is way too low compared to the sound effects. Hopefully there's a fix that I'm missing, because this is really disappointing.
It's not just you. The in-game dialogue is annoyingly low. One of the few disappointing aspects of the audio.

squidhands said:

Yep, i have encountered numerous sound problems such as the sound repeating as a level loads up. Cortana is barely audible like you said.

On another note, finally got back to the old habit using grenade jumps to access areas, it is marvellous!

PooBone

Played the game through on Legendary, then went back and did a couple levels on co-op normal. Here's my full list of praises and gripes.

I spent the first few levels wondering if I really did enjoy the new Anniversary package. Things that really jumped out at me initially, which I still don't like:

Music pauses when going to cutscenes, never did this before.

No sound options? Really?

Certain music changes during cutscenes happen at awkward, different moments (an example is in the cutscene after you rescue Keyes from T&R, the music kicks in when everyone grabs weapons, now it kicks in about 3 or 4 seconds too late, and it seems to do this in most of the cutscenes with any related music that changes according to action)

Pausing to reload last checkpoint is in a different location, instead of going down one in the menu like my muscle memory says I should, it's the first option. But I got used to this by the end of the game.

In "Halo" right after you get the warthog, you could climb up the wall to get on top of the map, now your warthog magically stalls before you get to the top and you go sliding back down. Lame.

Saw quite a few of the physics glitches where guns get stuck rolling inside of geometry. I don't remember ever seeing this in the original Xbox game, only when it was being played on a 360.

I hate Cortana's model, HATE IT! It's MUCH less expressive than the original model in Halo: Combat Evolved.

One other gripe is in the 343 GS cutscene that reveals the Flood, Keyes is still in his Captain's uniform he wears on the bridge. Pure laziness how Saber couldn't throw his head on top of a body with some combat fatigues like in the original.

I played a bit of multiplayer, and other than the classic playlist, (which only has 4 of the maps on it) the game is still fuckin Reach with all the bullshit that entails, which sucks. Also those MP achievements....

By by far my biggest complain comes with the level geometry on Truth and Reconciliation. There were about a dozen times on that level inside the ship where I would be hiding behind a corner and get shot through the wall. Switch to classic and the geometry I was hiding behind is only about half the size. Or I'd shoot out a door at an Elite and hit nothing, switch to classic mode and there's a part of a door there. Getting spotted around a corner before I could see an enemy. These things happened over and over and it's an embarrassing oversight.

Other than the last one, these are some fairly minor complaints.

Things I love: The enemy models all look amazing. Fighting the Flood is as tight as ever even with the new look. The lighting is so dramatic in so many places and in 99% of the locations you visit, the art direction is fantastic. Only complaint there would be the subtle use of purple in some Forerunner locations.

While I'm no hater of the Library, it does look more interesting and for that reason is perhaps a bit more fun to traverse.

Keyes, my least favorite level in the game, is 100 times better thanks to the lighting in the ground/coolant pool area.

The achievements are great, some of them are fun and I got them by accident or without effort on my first run, others will take hours and lots of patience to get. Pretty good layout on those.

The lonely marine is still there. :)

I found 4 skulls on my first playthrough, and spotted another I need to go back and grab. A couple of these were in very sinister locations. So I think I have 8 more to find and I'm gonna try to refrain from looking up a guide for a while to see how many I can snag.

The terminals are awesome. I'm missing two though. Lookin forward to finding those and then sitting down and dissecting them through the "Extras" menu option.

All in all, I think 343/Saber did a great job and I'm very pleased with the package. Money well spent and I would have no problem calling this the definitive version of Halo.... any Halo.... Combat Evolved through Reach. This campaign will get lots of playtime from me, moreso than 3, ODST, and Reach combined in all likelihood. The vision, the care it was handled with, and the (mostly) tasteful way the game was updated to Halo 3 standards of Forerunner architecture was handled very impressively, and I have even more faith that 343 will do the Halo franchise justice in their future projects.

Now about that Halo 2 remake.....

LiK

squidhands said:
Yup, I made this complaint as well. I wish they had volume sliders for the music and voices. It's really hard to hear them sometimes in the cutscenes. Seems to be better during actual gameplay.

soldat7

zethren said:
Haven't gotten my copy yet...

...How's Headlong!?!? Super excited about it making a return.

Headlong is perfect. It's truly one of the best big team maps of all time, and this remake is excellent. I have yet to play any 1-flag though.

squidhands said:

No sound options in the menu FTL. The remixed music is just not that great, unfortunately. Too many unnecessary changes, just like the art style. Oh well, thank goodness for classic mode!

Thanks for the responses, guys. That really sucks about the audio. Not having sliders, especially since they are there for the video is kind of boggling. At least I'm not having framerate issues (only played the first level so far) with the new graphics on an installed disk. Yet.

randomwab

Anyone else order from Amazon UK and still not got their copy? It shipped Monday and I still haven't got it. First time Amazon have ever failed me for a game release. They've always got shit to me day off if not a few days before release. So annoyed.

One of my biggest gaming pet peeve's is sloppy work. So that is why this game is bothering me. I just can't stand buggy, texture popping, shoddy framerate pieces of code. Especially when this is supposed to be a "first party" effort, published by Microsoft, and the first game carrying the 343 Studios name.

No, the game is not a broken mess, but it's clear they cut corners with this project, and knew people would buy it regardless.

PooBone

The Lamonster said:
So any 343 comments yet on patching online co-op? Shit is a major feature yet it's unplayable.

I played a couple co-op matches on Silent Cartographer and the lag was preeeeeetty bad. Not as bad as I've seen in some matches with 4 people in the past, but still.

Anyone know what the codes at the end of the terminals unlocks?

TheOddOne

BruiserBear said:
One of my biggest gaming pet peeve's is sloppy work. So that is why this game is bothering me. I just can't stand buggy, texture popping, shoddy framerate pieces of code. Especially when this is supposed to be a "first party" effort, published by Microsoft, and the first game carrying the 343 Studios name.

No, the game is not a broken mess, but it's clear they cut corners with this project, and knew people would buy it regardless.
To be fair, the updated engine is all Saber's work.

squidhands said:
Thanks for the responses, guys. That really sucks about the audio. Not having sliders, especially since they are there for the video is kind of boggling. At least I'm not having framerate issues (only played the first level so far) with the new graphics on an installed disk. Yet.
Two Betrayals was actually handled by the team behind PowerPoint, so there's something for you to look forward to. And yeah, the audio levels bum me out too.

ElRenoRaven

PooBone said:
In "Halo" right after you get the warthog, you could climb up the wall to get on top of the map, now your warthog magically stalls before you get to the top and you go sliding back down. Lame.

It does that in the PC version of Halo. That's one of many reasons I think they used PC code for most of this. You get get to the very edge of the top but that's it. Once you get too high it stalls and your controls lock up until you slide down a certain ways. It's actually one of the things that annoys me in the PC version.

PooBone

PsychoRaven said:
It does that in the PC version of Halo. That's one of many reasons I think they used PC code for most of this. You get get to the very edge of the top but that's it. Once you get too high it stalls and your controls lock up until you slide down a certain ways. It's actually one of the things that annoys me in the PC version.
Hmmm, interesting.

That's bullshit btw.

PooBone

Barrow Roll said:
The Library is friggin gorgeous. And I love love love the CE shotgun so much. Shotgun in Halo 4 needs to be like this one.
The assault rifle needs to be exactly the one in CE. It is awesome in campaign. Very versatile. You can charge elites with it, you can mow down groups of grunts with it. It's perfect for fighting the flood infection spores.

All these enemies may not even be in Halo 4, but that gun is great. Always hated the changes they made to it in Halo 3, and hated even more how they completely replaced it with the turd SMG in Halo 2.

ElRenoRaven

PooBone said:
Hmmm, interesting.

That's bullshit btw.

Oh it is. It really sucks when on the Halo level if you climb up and get to a certain spot you can slide down but not enough to allow the controls to unlock and then you're stuck and have no choice but to reload at the checkpoint.

soldat7

BruiserBear said:

Either that or the Xbox 360 is just not quite the monster we think it should be.

KageMaru

BruiserBear said:

Considering what the game is running, I can deal with the texture pop in since it's very minimal (in my experience), however I wish something was done about the frame rate. I won't jump to any conclusions on the development of this game, for all we know they had very little time to get this done. However now that it's released, it would be nice for them to support it post launch with a coat of polish.

I think Saber did a really great job with the engine. Great deferred lighting, real time shadows everywhere, sharp picture thanks to FXAA, really impressive particle physics, etc. It's a pretty good package overall where only the animation and frame rate are inconsistent. It's a shame really.

I installed the game last night and frame rate has been improved, also the pause between loading checkpoints was cut in half, so install it if you can.

TheOddOne said:
To be fair, the updated engine is all Saber's work.

Regardless, it's a game published by Microsoft and it carry's 343's name on the box. Both had oversight of the project all along. If they felt the framerate was unacceptable, they could have done something about it.

soldat7 said:
Either that or the Xbox 360 is just not quite the monster we think it should be.

What? No.

I've seen games that look much better than this running with a smooth framerate on the 360. Lack of power has nothing to do with how this port turned out.

ElRenoRaven

BruiserBear said:
Regardless, it's a game published by Microsoft and it carry's 343's name on the box. They had oversight of the project all along. If they felt the framerate was unacceptable, they could have done something about it.

What? No.

I've seen games that look much better than this running with a smooth framerate. Lack of power has nothing to do with how this port turned out.

Yea. Power isn't the issue. Let's face it this port wasn't as good as it should have been on a technical level. You should not have to install a game to have a good framerate. You should not have to install a game to reduce how bad the pop in is. You simply shouldn't. People that don't have a 20 gig 360 or do and don't have enough room are screwed. I do thank god though I was able to make room on mine because when installed it does run a lot better though. It's improved my enjoyment a ton.

Syracuse022 said:
Two Betrayals was actually handled by the team behind PowerPoint, so there's something for you to look forward to. And yeah, the audio levels bum me out too.
Sounds like I'll be doing my Legendary run with the old school graphics. yeesh.

BruiserBear said:
What? No.

I've seen games that look much better than this running with a smooth framerate on the 360. Lack of power has nothing to do with how this port turned out.
I'm sure running two layers of graphics at once has something to do with it.

KageMaru

PsychoRaven said:
Yea. Power isn't the issue. Let's face it this port wasn't as good as it should have been on a technical level. You should not have to install a game to have a good framerate. You should not have to install a game to reduce how bad the pop in is. You simply shouldn't. People that don't have a 20 gig 360 or do and don't have enough room are screwed. I do thank god though I was able to make room on mine because when installed it does run a lot better.

I don't know how bad it is when the game isn't installed, but during my brief time in the single player (played mostly co-op) there was still some slight texture pop and frame rate stutters even with the game installed.

ElRenoRaven

KageMaru said:
I don't know how bad it is when the game isn't installed, but during my brief time in the single player (played mostly co-op) there was still some slight texture pop and frame rate stutters even with the game installed.

There is some. The pop in is there but it's reduced on how long it lasts. Also the framerate is a lot smoother. You still get a bit of stutter at loading points and in cutscenes but that's something that all the Halo games have dealt with so I can deal with that.

squidhands said:
I'm sure running two layers of graphics at once has something to do with it.

That's not a valid excuse. If you can't get it running smoothly than you should be making changes that allow it to run smoothly. It could have been done, but they chose not to.

PooBone

I'll be honest guys, the pop-in I see is limited, with the exception of switching from classic to remastered graphics, doing that can lead to some noticeable pop-in. But other than that it's not bad at all, better than basically every Unreal Engine game.

I don't have it installed btw.... although I guess I could delete the GOD copy of Combat Evolved and install this.... since I've now got FIVE copies of Halo 1.

BruiserBear said:
That's not a valid excuse. If you can't get it running smoothly than you should be making changes that allow it to run smoothly. It could have been done, but they chose not to.
Frame rate is fine and pop-in is minimal for me. Game is installed.

FyreWulff

Game that needed a hard drive to run converted to working with a disc only and no hard drive present + new graphics layer, not really sure how much is their fault and how much is the fault of Halo: CE itself.

Halo 3, ODST, and Reach had the advantage of knowing they needed to run without an HDD. Installing CE:A so that it runs from the HDD would definitely clean up stuff due to the legacy of the engine.

PooBone

FyreWulff said:
Game that needed a hard drive to run converted to working with a disc only and no hard drive present + new graphics layer, not really sure how much is their fault and how much is the fault of Halo: CE itself.

Halo 3, ODST, and Reach had the advantage of knowing they needed to run without an HDD. Installing CE:A so that it runs from the HDD would definitely clean up stuff due to the legacy of the engine.
At the time Halo 3 came out, installing to HDD wasn't even an option. I remember when people started installing it and performance was worse. I remember being impressed with that. Bungie's got some badass engineers to spec their game to the console's capabilities.

I find it impressive that I've spent the last two days playing the everloving shit out of Halo CEA, having beaten it on Legendary, and yet here I am at work, and I can't wait to rush home and play some more. More than any other game in the series, Combat Evolved can put me in a zen state of focus during combat, especially the Flood levels. LOVE IT!

KageMaru

Zeouterlimits said:
Frame rate is fine and pop-in is minimal for me. Game is installed.

Not sure how the later levels are in the game, but I played PoA and a little bit of Halo single player with the game installed and the frame rate was not consistent in the remastered mode, didn't check in classic mode.

I was just walked around and could see the frame rate stutter slightly at random, and I couldn't reproduce it, so I believe it can be fixed with more optimization/polish. If it were a bottleneck, I should be able to recreate it.

I'm not really judging 343 based on this remake, but it's not really the best way to make a first impression.

Top Bottom