• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

wwm0nkey

Zeouterlimits said:
In which sense? I'm not 100% clued into that. I know they're making a replica as a collectors edition. Making a controller is a bit different.
Nope they are selling the replica separately for $100 and you have to pre-order it.

So say they have it where if you can reserve it, you can also just order a special 360 Duke controller for $40-$60 as well. So that way they only make as much as they have too.

wwm0nkey said:
Nope they are selling the replica separately for $100 and you have to pre-order it.

So say they have it where if you can reserve it, you can also just order a special 360 Duke controller for $40-$60 as well. So that way they only make as much as they have too.
Interesting. Price wise sounds like it could work. If the man hours were made available.
I do wonder if MS Management would approve it, as I'd say they'd rather the level of availability/demand that the themed Halo controllers get when they release a new game.
Feel like I should stop guessing this stuff, feels kind of rude, there's way too much unknown for a lot of my so called perceived thoughts to be considered accurate.

PooBone

wwm0nkey said:

Would make sense I suppose.

wwm0nkey

PooBone said:
Would make sense I suppose.
Just depends if

A) They want to do that
B) Have the man power to do it

I mean if I see the Duke Controller up for order, I will be paying it off the second I see it up.

It's not as simple as that. Not every cost associated with building electronics is variable. There are fixed costs as well, so you have to justify those fixed costs with enough consumer interest and in this case I don't think there is enough.

What if 100 people preorder and pay $60 each. You now have $6,000 to build 100 Duke controllers. The materials should only cost you $2,000. Easy, right? Not if the "controller factory" costs $5,000 a day to run regardless of how many controllers it needs to make (e.g. paying factory workers, designers, shipping companies, etc.).

An obtuse, oversimplified example, but you see what I mean?

wwm0nkey

ncsuDuncan said:
It's not as simple as that. Not every cost associated with building electronics is variable. There are fixed costs as well, so you have to justify those fixed costs with enough consumer interest and in this case I don't think there is enough.

What if 100 people preorder and pay $60 each. You now have $6,000 to build 100 Duke controllers. The materials should only cost you $2,000. Easy, right? Not if the "controller factory" costs $5,000 a day to run regardless of how many controllers it needs to make (e.g. paying factory workers, designers, shipping companies, etc.).

An obtuse, oversimplified example, but you see what I mean?
Yeah I understand this, just kind of wishful thinking on my behalf.

JesseZao

I never preorder unless it gets me a $20 credit or something but I would pay in full a preorder for the game if the LE came with a controller s for 360.

thatbox

Banned
LosDaddie said:
I'm happy with what 343 is doing with the Halo CE anniversary. As someone who still plays Reach, I'm glad 343 isn't splitting up the community either. While I won't buy Halo CE, I will buy the map pack
The perfect Halo consumer.

wwm0nkey said:
We get a code with CEA so I think it will probably be a same day deal.

Yeah, what PooBone just said. There's no way the maps will be purchasable a la carte on November 15th.

Just look at ODST and the Mythic 2 Map Pack:
ODST - September
Mythic 2 on Marketplace - April February

So if the Classic Maps follow the same pattern they won't be on the Marketplace until June April 2012. *This is all just conjecture.*

Edit: Fixed dates.

border

PooBone said:
You could find one on ebay, but the maps won't be up on the marketplace. Confirmed.

Yeah, in that video that I linked several pages ago the guy says something a little peculiar:

"If you've got Reach and you don't have [Halo CEA], eventually you'll be able to just download those maps."

Sounds a little shady....seems unfair to hold the extra maps hostage like that, but I guess that's pretty much standard practice now? I dunno, I haven't bought a map pack for anything since Halo 2.

Striker

border said:
Yeah, in that video that I linked several pages ago the guy says something a little peculiar:

"If you've got Reach and you don't have [Halo CEA], eventually you'll be able to just download those maps."

Sounds a little shady....seems unfair to hold the extra maps hostage like that, but I guess that's pretty much standard practice now? I dunno, I haven't bought a map pack for anything since Halo 2.
It's weird.

They changed the map pack methods, both in pricing and how they're dealt pretty differently since they did Halo 2. The five count map pack we had with Terminal, Relic, etc. sold for $12 was the last true great release.

ncsuDuncan said:
Yeah, what PooBone just said. There's no way the maps will be purchasable a la carte on November 15th.

Just look at ODST and the Mythic 2 Map Pack:
ODST - September
Mythic 2 on Marketplace - April

So if the Classic Maps follow the same pattern they won't be on the Marketplace until June 2012. *This is all just conjecture.*

Mythic 2 was released on February 2nd not in April. But your point still stands, there will be a period of time between CEA release and the maps being on marketplace to DL by themselves.

ncsuDuncan said:
So if the Classic Maps follow the same pattern they won't be on the Marketplace until June 2012. *This is all just conjecture.*
They're not going to wait that long for this map pack - at that point, they would be stepping on Halo 4's toes, no?

Steelyuhas said:
Mythic 2 was released on February 2nd not in April. But your point still stands, there will be a period of time between CEA release and the maps being on marketplace to DL by themselves.

Derp. Yeah, you're right. I had April in my head because I made a very similar post here last week. It was:

ODST - September
Mythic 2 - April February

CEA - November
Classic Maps - June April

PooBone

Striker said:
It's weird.

They changed the map pack methods, both in pricing and how they're dealt pretty differently since they did Halo 2. The five count map pack we had with Terminal, Relic, etc. sold for $12 was the last true great release.
Probably because DLC was such a brand spankin new concept. Remember the first Halo 2 map packs? It was like 2 maps free and another 2 for $4 or something.

Now you've got Call of Duty setting standards by releasing 3 maps for $15 or whatever and people eat it up.

CyReN

The Real Napsta said:
I would pay good money for a 360 duke controller. Especially if it's wired. I have friends that would too.

They'll come out with a anniversary edition which is wireless and smaller at the rate things are going.

PooBone said:
Probably because DLC was such a brand spankin new concept. Remember the first Halo 2 map packs? It was like 2 maps free and another 2 for $4 or something.

Now you've got Call of Duty setting standards by releasing 3 maps for $15 or whatever and people eat it up.

To be fair, COD releases 5 maps for $15, which is a better deal than Halo's 3 maps for $10. ($3 per map as opposed to $3.33 per map)

PooBone

Steelyuhas said:
To be fair, COD releases 5 maps for $15, which is a better deal than Halo's 3 maps for $10. ($3 per map as opposed to $3.33 per map)
Was it 5 maps?

My bad then.

CyReN said:
I don't follow.

Yea I'm a little upset the mp isn't going to be back.
no shit, you've made your point, stfu and quit trolling.

CyReN

PooBone said:
Was it 5 maps?

My bad then.

no shit, you've made your point, stfu and quit trolling.

I'm not trolling I'm just expressing my feelings on the situation. As someone who grew up on the Halo series it's a slap in the face to the first fans and a high five for the new comers.

5 maps = 5 Call of Duty Maps. Each map pack for the Cod series has 5 maps, mathematically Cod is more bang for your buck.

PooBone

CyReN said:
I'm not trolling I'm just expressing my feelings on the situation.
No, you're being a fucking dickhead. Whining like a bitch isn't gonna change anyone's mind, it's not gonna make the devs care, it's not gonna delay the project to add in what you want, all it does is annoy everyone except the 3 other people like you that wanna whine and whine and whine and start an internet petition and cry and complain and protest but then buy the damn thing anyway. Just knock it off. It is what it is and no one needs to read your snarky bullshit. We'd all like more content for every game and a completely remade multiplayer mode for Halo: CEA, but we aren't getting it. End of story. Drop it.

Walshicus

CyReN said:
I'm not trolling I'm just expressing my feelings on the situation. As someone who grew up on the Halo series it's a slap in the face to the first fans and a high five for the new comers.

5 maps = 5 Call of Duty Maps. Each map pack for the Cod series has 5 maps, mathematically Cod is more bang for your buck.
I don't know, I've been invested in the Halo experience for pretty much the last decade too and I'm pretty excited for more Reach maps.

Tunavi

Banned
PooBone said:
No, you're being a fucking dickhead. Whining like a bitch isn't gonna change anyone's mind, it's not gonna make the devs care, it's not gonna delay the project to add in what you want, all it does is annoy everyone except the 3 other people like you that wanna whine and whine and whine and start an internet petition and cry and complain and protest but then buy the damn thing anyway. Just knock it off. It is what it is and no one needs to read your snarky bullshit. We'd all like more content for every game and a completely remade multiplayer mode for Halo: CEA, but we aren't getting it. End of story. Drop it.
the only one being a "fucking dickhead" is you

CyReN

PooBone said:

I've only made a few remarks regrading the decision, I'm just asking Frankie when he posts what technical issues made it so you can't add XBL to a 10 year old game along with some game mechanic questions. I like the remake so far and will be buying it I'd just like some answers if possible.

Sorry if I come off as "whining", I usually don't complain about games too much. I grew up on Halo, it's been a part of my life for 9 years now, I've met a lot of good friends through lans/talking to locals/in school/mlg events etc. It's been a terrific series that I really love. It's not getting the "proper" care (mp wise) and it feels like a slap in the face to old school halo gamers. I hope some other gamers feel the same. Plus the h1 map >all, even with its wide skill gap the game was a lot of fun from casuals to pro.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
PooBone said:

This post is extremely rude. Grow up.

PooBone

xelios said:
This post is extremely rude. Grow up.
Sorry if you feel that way, I've been following this thread since announcement last week and there's literally been about 3 or 4 users acting like a cancer to the whole thing. Sick of it. Make a valid comment/argument if you want but the whole trolling about a controller being cut in half blah blah..... it's totally unnecessary and does nothing but breed negativity. I apologize for multiplying it.

CyReN

PooBone said:
Sorry if you feel that way, I've been following this thread since announcement last week and there's literally been about 3 or 4 users acting like a cancer to the whole thing. Sick of it. Make a valid comment/argument if you want but the whole trolling about a controller being cut in half blah blah..... it's totally unnecessary and does nothing but breed negativity. I apologize for multiplying it.

I've brought up the Perfect Dark/Xbox Connect/Three Shot Kill in Campaign talk if your curious.

zethren

Banned
CyReN said:

That's much too generalized a statement. I've been a devoted Halo fan since the very beginning and I'm extremely excited about this game. To me Halo CE was always more about it's campaign because that was simply the part of the game that I enjoyed the most. Of course I loved the multiplayer, and we had awesome LAN parties all the time, but the campaign was always my favorite part.

I would never argue against getting Halo CE online multiplayer with the package, but at the same time I don't feel like what I'm getting is a slap in my face either. I know I'm not alone in saying any of this either. There are all manner of fans of the games and what modes they prefer and you can't generalize them all into one blanket statement like that.

PooBone

CyReN said:
I've brought up the Perfect Dark/Xbox Connect/Three Shot Kill in Campaign talk if your curious.
I've stayed out of the whole argument one way or another to this point, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I'd be willing to bet that despite any sort of technical issues, this decision was 100% business. Splitting the userbase, as people have pointed out, the amount of money that would need to go into making it work, etc. is beyond what the publisher would get back, or the amount of time and resources 343 would have to pull away from Halo 4. Fact is, the audience that REALLY wants this is relatively small, and of all the people that will be buying this, (let's be honest, the popularity of Halo has ballooned since 2001) have never played Halo 1 multiplayer period, and playing something so "old" would probably turn them off and potentially damage the franchise in their eyes.
As far as Perfect Dark, that's a game that is waaaaaay less precise than Halo, lag it's such a big deal. There's a video on youtube about Halo 2 being noobified where they show how precise the hit boxes and things are in Halo 1 vs 2, and most of that was done for latency considerations.
When Frankie said the TSK was back, I just took it to mean that the pistol with all of its dominance is back..... in campaign.

Maybe it will be back in a Classic++ playlist, who knows. But for now, I'm not too tore up about it.

my performance in reach in DMR/DMR fights was worse than in BR/BR fights halo 3, so i'd argue that the bloom mechanic takes more skill
BR is easy: aim for the body, pull the trigger twice (or was it thrice?) as fast as possible, aim for the head and pull again
with the DMR and bloom, you need to have a certain timing to your shots

Izayoi

Banned
PooBone said:
Wow, I thought I was being a jerk the last few pages. Thanks for showing me up, dude.

border said:
Just out of curiousity, how hard is it to put together a LAN party using Halo:CE on 360 systems?

Can you do ad-hoc multiplayer over Wifi or must it be through Ethernet?

Does the game run as well as the original, through emulation? Is it better to use discs or the Games On Demand version?

People earlier were acting as though you had to use the OG Xbox and controllers, but I'm not sure if that was a technical requirement or just personal preference. If there's any decent guides on setting up Halo:CE LAN on 360 systems, please drop me a link.

The 360's suck at emulating it. Halo 2 has some problems in 4 player splitscreen and lan adds to the amount of lag but at least you can have one or two people per xbox to remove it. However Halo 1 has random moments of lag and it can get pretty hectic in a not so good way when you have 4 people on one xbox. What's weird is it can happen in a pistol dual without any explosives going off at all which is just bizzare. Didn't have those problems with the game on xbox though. This is why I keep my xbox for those Halo 1 and 2 Lan parties that we occasionally have. It gives me a little bit of an edge :p

and dukes are not required but I do agree that they feel better for Halo 1 to me.

edit:hmmm I just noticed everyone seems to want a duke. Their are tutorials out there for it. But you would need to be willing to sacrifice you 360 controller because it's not easy to put it back in the old shell once it's done.

Booshka

Try using Camo Rockets on Xbox 360 emulated Halo CE. Game will lag and stutter like no other. There are lots of other things that cause game lag also. It doesn't work well at all, sucks.

Booshka said:
Try using Camo Rockets on Xbox 360 emulated Halo CE. Game will lag and stutter like no other. There are lots of other things that cause game lag also. It doesn't work well at all, sucks.

Using a 360 in system link with regular xboxes causes de-syncing problems on LAN in my experience too.

Top Bottom