• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: CE mod SPV3 has finally been completed.

TCKaos

Shoutout to CMT and Masterz1337 for finishing this amazing passion project.

For those not in the know, SPV3 (Single Player Version 3) is a complete overhaul of Halo: Combat Evolved's single player campaign, including new weapons, enemies, environments, vehicles, music, everything. Everything is new and different and exciting.

Truly, it's a wonderful project, and after 14 years the final version has finally been released.

Cinematic Trailer
Download here

spv3_5_full.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

7698519660_0f40111cb4_h.jpg

Cool, hopefully, I can get this installed this time.

I tried to download this a couple months ago and ran into endless problems trying to get it to work.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Looks good, but in a post ce:a world it doesn't seem necessary. (Of course this is pc)

Ok, the "remixing" could be awesome

Looks good, but in a post ce:a world it doesn't seem necessary. (Of course this is pc)

Yeah, for PC I guess it's an option (don't get me wrong for a free mod it's alright and there has been a lot of work put into it but I didn't care for what I have played of it before) but I'm more than fine with Anniversary (loved it actually sans the Gold Elite design).

Those screenshots are doing the mod no favors.

Ok, the "remixing" could be awesome
What's CE:A if you don't mind me inquiring? Could use a good mod for the next play through.

Edit: Oh, yeah, Anniversary. I don't have an MS console so forgive me.

JDB

Banned
Pretty rough texture work, kinda reminds me of Halo 2 in that sense.
The redone encounters and added guns and vehicles look very interesting, though.

Damn Masterz1337 has been at this a long time. Gearbox doesnt even have a Halo forum anymore. Great job dude.

Long ago CMT's mods started by trying to port some Halo 2 features into Halo 1, born solely out of hype for H2 (yes it's that old).
Started with skins then maps then weapons and just kept going until they made a whole campaign out of the idea. It's not made on the premise that Halo 1 is bad or lacking in need of replacement, just that it would be neat to play a version with a bunch of bonus features ported. Supplemental. That's why it sort of looks halfway between H1 and H2.

I'm so sorry, but:

I am Halo fan from the beginning, but this is disgusting. :( OK, great work, respect for makers, but this is not the Halo CE, what we like.

including new weapons, enemies, environments, vehicles, music, everything.

But why? :(

Ok i got it, we need a game like Halo CE: Annyversary, but not this way... This is a totally different game with this.

Bry0

I'm so sorry, but:

I am Halo fan from the beginning, but this is disgusting. :( OK, great work, respect for makers, but this is not the Halo CE, what we like.

But why? :(

Ok i got it, we need a game like Halo CE: Annyversary, but not this way... This is a totally different game with this.

What? This has been in progress for a long time. Think of it as a remix with new toys to play with. It's not supposed to be like anniversary and never was.

Great Job
As someone who modded Halo CE, this isn't simple, learning to mod for Halo is tough,, you had to learn how to use 3Ds Max, i learn that shit from beginner to expert, found many tutorials back in 2005, writing scripts for new weapon, vehicles, etc is even harder than learning Max, shit annoyed me, so many errors, my first try at writing script was trying to get the Doom 3 Plasma gun to function like it did in Doom...I gave up..didn't have to time, so i messed around with making maps in Max, and testing them out, i never released a single map because i was always looking at other modders maps and saying mines is shit lol

JoeLT

Been playing it all night, it's a bit inconsistent with the quality but some of this is top noch. That shotgun hnnnngggg, the lights changing are such a nice touch. Also the best looking ODST's out of any game.

I wonder how the single player has aged, tried the online MP a month or so ago and it was complete trash even though I loved it back in the day.

Unlike battlefield 1942 which I tried right after, aged like fine wine and was still insanely fun.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow this sounds awesome. Will definitely play this.

I still have a CD of Halo CE, but no more key :(

This happened to me years ago, I contacted Microsoft and they provided me with another one but if I remember correctly they asked me something specific about the game's CD.

You might want to give it a shot.

I later found the CD envelop/enclosure the original key was on so I ended up with two.

Sweet, I still have my Halo 1 PC box and disc from like 6 or 7 years ago.

Someone in my college department was giving them away before I graduated and I grabbed a Halo CE and I think a box of roller coaster tycoon.

OldMuffin

Great now get to work on halo 2! All kidding aside, this is brilliant and I can't wait to play this! Congrats to the team and I hope this opens up some entries into the industry for them, cause they all bloody deserve it.

Unstable

Not really digging the visuals, but it looks fun! Anyone know where I can buy a legit CD key though?

Well, Amazon. (Thanks Microsoft for that).

Seriously, how crazy is it that you can not purchase the landmark title, hugely influential, game that is Halo 1. Digitally.

What.The.Fuck?

Just throw it on GoG Microsoft! It already runs on modern systems! You don't even need to do any work!!!

Hello?

FyreWulff

Not like I have anywhere to insert the CD into anyway.

USB disc drives are pretty cheap.. or if you have another computer in the house with a disc drive, you can borrow it by sharing that drive on the network and using it to install the game

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Been playing it since yesterday. It's a really fantastic mod. Adds a bunch of new things from all of the different Halo games(even Halo Wars) while also making the levels bigger and better designed.

Don't sit on this mod if you are a Halo fan. Graphics are a bit outdated, but it's built on the original game, so it can be forgiven.

So glad.i found out about this mod.

Masterz1337

Neo Member
Thanks for the posts and support here guys, glad everyone has been enjoying it. It's been a crazy last 24 hours so I'll try to respond to things as best as possible.

can you lan co op this shit? dling
Unfortunately, Halo on the PC does not support co-op. But even if someone does one day make it work (although I doubt it, but I also love being wrong) SPV3 wouldn't work due to some of the changes we made only working for one player, and in some cases the scripting for player 2 had to be removed entirely to make room for other content.

Yeah, for PC I guess it's an option (don't get me wrong for a free mod it's alright and there has been a lot of work put into it but I didn't care for what I have played of it before) but I'm more than fine with Anniversary (loved it actually sans the Gold Elite design).

Those screenshots are doing the mod no favors.

Cool, hopefully, I can get this installed this time.

I tried to download this a couple months ago and ran into endless problems trying to get it to work.

We've completely redone the install process. It is easier than before when it works, but we are still identifying some issues people are reporting. It's had over 30,000 downloads so far, so even the 1% of people who are having problems is still a huge number for us to parse through to identify the problems they are having and why. Give it a go later tonight when we release 3.1.0e and the last of the major issues should be hammered out.

Pretty rough texture work, kinda reminds me of Halo 2 in that sense.
The redone encounters and added guns and vehicles look very interesting, though.

Yeah... there is only so much we can do when stuck with Bungie's original geometry. It's not so easy to go in and edit it, and even when done it's hard to get it back ingame exactly how it was in terms of performance and lighting. (which you can kind of see going on in 2 betrayals, as it features the only geometry we actually did modify) The real goal of the game is to offer a new take on the sandbox, and be it's own sequel to itself, rather than try to emulate any of the other games.

Jesus christ this launcher is so fucking good!

Ha, I must have sat around watching the video for the launcher a good 10-15 minutes when I first received it from the guys who worked on it. For me at least, it's surreal to see how far this has come since pretty much my entire teenage and adult years have been leading up to this release in some shape or form.

Not really digging the visuals, but it looks fun! Anyone know where I can buy a legit CD key though?

I said it up above, but there is only really so much we can do with a 16 year old engine, but the real goal was to make something fun. As far as getting a CD key, amazon has them in stock periodically in the US, but depending on your region of the world it can be difficult to hunt down a copy of CE. I don't believe they are printed at all anymore, and everything left over is just simply that, left over from the early 2000s.

Great now get to work on halo 2! All kidding aside, this is brilliant and I can't wait to play this! Congrats to the team and I hope this opens up some entries into the industry for them, cause they all bloody deserve it.

Ha, H2 is such a mess on the PC it be near impossible. There are other issues with H2 in general that make me not the games greatest fan, and would limit what we could do anyway. But given the chance I'd love to give it a go. Most of our guys are trying to get their foot in the door somewhere... so hopefully things will work out for all of us.

Been playing it since yesterday. It's a really fantastic mod. Adds a bunch of new things from all of the different Halo games(even Halo Wars) while also making the levels bigger and better designed.

Don't sit on this mod if you are a Halo fan. Graphics are a bit outdated, but it's built on the original game, so it can be forgiven.

So glad.i found out about this mod.

In addition to other games, there is even a fair amount of book/comic stuff in there, as well as some returning to original bungie concepts. One of the terminals even goes into details about Halo CE's cut volcano mission, another talks about the purpose of the waterfall and the airlock doors in AOTCR. Another further develops the suggested narrative in H1 that it was Chief who released the flood by deactivating the installation's security system. There are 117 terminals to find (believe it or not, that number is a total co-incidence) which should keep you busy. And then a cortana log, skulls, cross map unlockables to find as well.

I can speak for all of us when I say we really appreciate the positive reception. I don't want to get to much on the edge of self promoting (still a nub here and don't want to break any rules) but feel free to ask me any questions here or via PM if you chose to.

We've got some more cool stuff coming in the future as well, which I think will really rock some worlds.

JoeLT

Thanks for the posts and support here guys, glad everyone has been enjoying it. It's been a crazy last 24 hours so I'll try to respond to things as best as possible.

Unfortunately, Halo on the PC does not support co-op. But even if someone does one day make it work (although I doubt it, but I also love being wrong) SPV3 wouldn't work due to some of the changes we made only working for one player, and in some cases the scripting for player 2 had to be removed entirely to make room for other content.

We've got some more cool stuff coming in the future as well if you enjoy SPV3.
A Halo fan project in Unreal using some of these ideas, models, animations, etc. would be fantastic btw. ;)

Omni

I remember hearing about this years ago. I think. Nice to see they finished!

Can't lie, trailer was neat. Makes me wanna play CE now. Don't have a PC to try this out though

Top Bottom