• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo CE not shutting down, Bungie to release a new patch.

wwm0nkey

link

Internet Lobby will get fixed!

As I explained before, GameSpy is shutting down on May 31, 2014. That would mean the end of the Internet Lobby in the game, which would have a huge impact on Halo multiplayer.

I have fantastic news! It will get fixed!! You'll need to update your Halo install, but then the Lobby will work just as it always has! (Details on how to update will follow in another post when the update is ready.)

A small group has been quietly preparing for the shutdown of the GameSpy Master Server (which provides the list of Halo servers) and they are finally ready to discuss their work. The group consists of Roger Wolfson aka Sawnose (of Bungie), Btcc22 (of HAC2), Kornman00 (of OpenSauce) and myself, Technut (of PÕQ Clan).

As a result of their work, especially Btcc22 and Roger, Bungie will be releasing version 1.0.10 of Halo PC and Halo CE soon, which will include the fix for the Lobby!

I will be updating this post with further information from the group over the next day or so.

Hope they also rehaul the netcode and add some opensauce features :)

I just recently started playing the game again with GeDoSaTo, and it's a definite treat. The multiplayer still holds up incredibly well, and I'm glad to see it's getting a little more support.

Wishlist:
- Steam Release
- A built-in controller profile
- Steam Workshop support for all the millions of Halo Custom maps out there.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's awesome. As opposed to how a lot of other developers shut it down and won't even give the community source code.

FyreWulff

from kornman on HBO

: Looks like Halo CE has a savior after all...

And its name is Bungie. I can finally say that there will soon be an official 1.10 patch (currently in testing) for HaloPC and HaloCE that uses a master server hosted by Bungie, along with some bug fixes.

Also, it should be noted at GameRanger doesn't even support dedicated servers. So it wouldn't have been a very good savior in the least. But it's kay, Bungie <3 you.

Omni

Oh wow. I'm sure all 20 players will be very grateful

haha. I actually haven't played CE on PC in a long time. Is it even remotely popular any more?

wwm0nkey

Oh wow. I'm sure all 20 players will be very grateful

haha. I actually haven't played CE on PC in a long time. Is it even remotely popular any more?

A very decent amount of people are still playing, Now if it was Halo 2 PC you would be right about the 20 players.

Rivitur

Banned
Halo trail is still going strong even though you have to do a work around due to the gamespy shutdown.

Ratcageinjapan servers for life!!!

FyreWulff

But that's not Bungie's call to make. This basically looks like a fan fix and not something official by 343i who hold the franchise now.

It has fans working on it (who are really good at knowing what makes the game engines work), and a Bungie employee on it, and Bungie is hosting the new master servers, and putting it out as a real patch...

Yeah, it's a bit weird that 343 isn't involved here, but it's fairly official.

FYI Sawnose, the Bungie employee involved in this patch? He's the one that did the last patch that removed the CD check a couple years back

Actually, that was almost 6 years ago, and even back -then- people were surprised Halo PC was getting a patch

link

Hope they also rehaul the netcode and add some opensauce features :)

I stopped playing CE on PC around 2007, but I signed the petition on Change.org, don't know if that petition helped but FUCKING YES.

THIS IS THE BEST PRE-E3 NEWS EVWAAAA

eTugMPE.gif

wbwpXyX.gif

BGL4ooN.gif

8IlmLtf.gif

Now they just need to patch
Destiny to support PC.

No but seriously, great that they're doing this officially. I'd definitely buy the game if it was released on Steam or GOG.

Overdoziz

Banned
Bungie doing more work with older Halo games than the company specifically founded for the Halo franchise is. Good to hear, though. Definitely beats shutting the game down like EA is doing with all of its franchises.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Physical copies only (until hopefully a Steam release) so just order it off amazon, its like $20
Will do that. Had great fun with the demo, back in the day.

Or hold off until that rumoured Steam version releases. Whatever.

Still, it is nice to see Bungie allowing a third party patch to happen.

I want to reinstall CE for PC because I've still got my original disc and serial number, but my new computer doesn't have an optical drive. Could I use an .iso burner / mounter to bring it over to this new computer once I reinstall it on my old one?

Zakalwe

Banned
Now if they're only do a weapon rebalance so that pistol wasn't > all!

I jest, I think the charm of that game is actually the fact you need the pistol or sniper to be competitive, and everything else is a weapon to troll kill with.

The aim bot problem is more concerning, the game is plagued with them. I used to play competitive and the best players in the game weren't half as good as some of the randoms you meet now. Even so, there's a couple of decent servers active, and LAN games are still phenomenal.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Is it early 2014 yet?

Eo29eCg.png

Yea. We're getting damn close to the GFWL service shutdown too. I really hope it's saved too but I still doubt it since the population on it's been dead from day 1. They just really screwed Halo 2 right out of the gate on PC. Sad too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
(Details on how to update will follow in another post when the update is ready.)

Reminder that even though in 2014 every major digital distribution service has automatic patching and updating, Microsoft is about to release a patch that you have to manually download and install.

Top Bottom