• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo for Xbox One is Halo 5? *gasp*

abadguy

Banned
Of all the things to hate on Halo for, such as the deterioration in quality in every subsequent release to the point that Halo 4 was comically bad, the fact that the universe goes on isn't one of them. World War 1 was the war to end all wars. Then along came World War 2.

Halo 4 was "comically bad"? Gotta love that hyperbole.

ryano9929

Banned
I have zero expectations for this game. After halo 4 I don't think the series can get any worse. Hopefully 343 realized that halo 4 was crap and fix the series. Too much COD features ruined halo.

Halo can be Halo while COD and its clones be COD. No reason 343 needed to ruin the series

Marjar

Banned
What's with the intense hatred for Halo 4? Sure the multiplayer wasn't that great, but the campaign was the best in the series since the first game.

For me Halo SP campaigns go:
Halo CE>Reach>ODST>Halo 4>Halo 3>>>>>>>>Halo 2
I'd swap 3 and 4 but yeah. I can dig that.

Halo 4 had all the parts to make an amazing, genre defining game, but whether it was rushed or 343 just couldn't fully grock the magic of Halo, it fell short of the mark. But not for any lack of ambition - I'm still amazed that we got 50 episodes of Spartan Ops, which ultimately even included several great ones ;P

Give 343 time to organize, time to listen and understand the feedback from their playerbase, and time to cook. The two year turnaround does worry me - that and the almost certainty that it will have to be a showcase for Kinect and the cloud.

Edit: I take back cloud worries. 60fps + dedicated servers could only mean great things.

Defect

Halo 5 needs to be built around competitive play from the start. No sprint, AA's, load outs, perks, etc. Keep that for action sack, customs, and maybe a playlist or two. Everything else needs to be similar unlike Reach's and 4's playlists/gametypes.

Halo 4 had flaws, but it's still a great game. The actual sandbox gunplay/gameplay is fun and interesting.

Fixing the narrative to go beyond pushing buttons to finish a level can't be that hard.

343 and MS know what's riding on Halo 5. A truly bad Halo 5 or even another step backward would be catastrophic to their first true holiday on the platform. (launch doesn't count. We're all buying it or not buying it LONG before Black Friday - few consoles around for anyone else.) And then they're dead. I suspect it's going to be amazing.

KingPhizzle

Neo Member
i cannot for the life of me figure out wtf m$ is thinking.... I should apply to their PR department when i finish grad school.....

Reach>Halo 4>Halo 3

i6wyd4GZPbQAH.gif

StayDead

You actually thought it would end? It makes too much money. Also Halo 4 was the start of a new story.

I was somewhat joking as I realised Halo 4 was going to happen after the terrible ending to Halo 3, but using that as a fake point of outrage is something I enjoy doing.

ODST is my personal favorite campaign. The music, atmosphere, missions... I love it. As far as the other campaigns go, here's how I rank them:

1. Halo 3: ODST

2. Halo: CE

3. Reach

4. Halo 3

5. Halo 2

6: Halo 4

Multiplayer-wise, all 3 games in the trilogy are great, with Halo 2 being the standout IMO. Reach... is pretty bad. It has the worst maps in the series and it added armor abilities that slowed down the game. The movement felt bad too. As for Halo 4, I loved it at first but as I played it more and more, it's flaws became more apparent. Halo 4 improved on the mobility and map design (slightly) but it really did everything else worse. Ordinance was a terrible idea and I hated the whole create a class system and the maps were only a small improvement over Reach. It doesn't feel like Halo at all.

I hope 343 learns from their mistakes for Halo 5.

Sojgat

Halo CE >ODST >Reach >Halo 3 >>>>>>>>>>Halo 4 >Halo 2

Halo 4 campaign is just a bunch of long straight paths with switches at the end (and then later at intermittent points along the path).

MP was shit, with too few maps, and could barely hold my interest through the four days that lead up to Black Ops 2's release.

I'm still convinced 343 can make a good Halo game though.

Edit: Above rankings are just for the campaigns, MP has gotten progressively worse with each new release.

guys you're all forgetting halo wars

What's a halo wars?

Reach did have the best campaign, I'd say Halo 4 had the worst. None of the charm of the Bungie games and the Prometheans were terrible to fight. Reach gets too much shit for it's multiplayer, I thought it was better than Halo 3's. Halo 2 is still the highpoint for me but that's probably because it was the first online Halo I played.

StayDead

guys you're all forgetting halo wars

See I'm a huge PC RTS fan and hate console RTS games with avengance, but that game was actually really enjoyable in single player and I even played and owned quite a lot of people in the online because that was where the issue of the game crept in. The game was laughably easy to win if you knew how to do more than one thing at once and the balance was completely broken. It was never designed to be played by people who had RTS experience and I get that, but they could've atleast made it so it didn't suffer from noob Warcraft 3 player syndrome of flying units win against everything in the game if you get that late.

Me and my Mate would 2v2 all the time and just rush them with spartans/heros and take any vehicles they got as nobody knew what they were doing, even on the higher rankings :p

Halo CE >ODST >Reach >Halo 3 >>>>>>>>>>Halo 4 >Halo 2

Halo 4 campaign is just a bunch of long straight paths with switches at the end (and then later at intermittent points along the path).

MP was shit, with too few maps, and could barely hold my interest through the four days that lead up to Black Ops 2's release.

I'm still convinced 343 can make a good Halo game though.

Edit: Above rankings are just for the campaigns, MP has gotten progressively worse with each new release.
Halo 2 campaign> Halo 4 campaign

Sojgat

Halo 2 campaign> Halo 4 campaign

Nothing is worse than Halo 2's campaign.

Midnight launch me and buddy were all set to sit up through the night and co-op the entire thing (we had a 5.1 setup, a big screen TV, pizza, coke, the whole nine yards). We booted up the game excitedly, only to be met by awful graphics pop-in, English speaking Covenant, unfinished stages where we could could fly out of the game world, and then the game had us playing as fucking Elites!?! We only managed to complete the first Arbiter level before we stopped, started drinking, and bitching about how it made us want to give up gaming forever.

Top Bottom