• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo franchise sales hit 81 million units

Flutta

Banned
Hmm that number sounds fishy. They’re prob adding GP numbers, MAU numbers, even adding toys in the mix. Never trust MS when it comes to numbers.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
23 years of rage quits and broken xbox controllers from playing Halo on Legendary.

Or being teabagged.

frustrated angry video game nerd GIF

Good thing Xbox controllers are really good quality or Halo Legendary would have cost me even more controllers, but yeah, I've lost controllers to Halo.

Termite

I mean, it's a lot of copies sold by most standards, but Halo always positions itself as one of the, if not THE, biggest franchises in gaming, and those sales don't stack up to that reputation.

Call of Duty is the game that came along and ate Halo's lunch, and that series is at 300m+. That's where Halo wanted to be by now. But CoD and studio mismanagement cost it that chance. The franchise has never truly had top billing in the industry since the incredible Halo 3, which was a media event similar to Star Wars at the time - in the US at least. Don't think those times are ever coming again.

Not downplaying those games but just saying Halo did well, considering it’s always been on the 2nd or 3 most populous user base.
It obviously did well as a game. No doubt. But, Halo has forever been THE reason to own an Xbox (at least before Bungie left). I'm just mildly surprised it didn't hit 100 million.

Grand theft auto also has 3 titles out by the time halo came out

I'm speaking of Grand Theft Auto FIVE. Just by itself.

Last edited:

Renozokii

How is that low lmao?

10 games listed above, that’s an average of 8.1 million sales per game. That’s more than most Zelda games.

For context, there’s 7 games in the God of War franchise, and if the latest sold 20 million, the series has currently sold 40 million copies world wide.
The average is a weird number to calculate and compare to Zelda when one series is obviously past its peak sales wise. Even infinite is going on gamepass day one and free to play so these numbers will never be accurate again.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

It obviously did well as a game. No doubt. But, Halo has forever been THE reason to own an Xbox (at least before Bungie left). I'm just mildly surprised it didn't hit 100 million.

I'm speaking of Grand Theft Auto FIVE. Just by itself.
Gotcha, GTA:V is just an anomaly LMAO... I myself can't beleive I bought the same game three times (360->X1/PS4 -> NO AGAIN

I mean, it's a lot of copies sold by most standards, but Halo always positions itself as one of the, if not THE, biggest franchises in gaming, and those sales don't stack up to that reputation.

Call of Duty is the game that came along and ate Halo's lunch, and that series is at 300m+. That's where Halo wanted to be by now. But CoD and studio mismanagement cost it that chance. The franchise has never truly had top billing in the industry since the incredible Halo 3, which was a media event similar to Star Wars at the time - in the US at least. Don't think those times are ever coming again.
Cod is multiplat. If halo 1,2,3, were available on PlayStation consoles this figure would be double.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeap if I have to guess it is something like that:

MCC crossed 10 million sales.
Halo Wars 2 sold around 2 million.
Halo 5 around 7-8 million.

Together with minor sales from others titles you match the 11 million from June 2016 to now.

Why do you believe MCC crossed 10 million? Because PC Steamspy shows estimated of 2m to 5m... plus there is the Windows Store version and Xbox version being sold very well yet.... it is a no surprised if it sold about 5m+ from June 2016 to now.
Welfare guestimate... pretty close to mine.

Cod is multiplat. If halo 1,2,3, were available on PlayStation consoles this figure would be double.
Not to mention CoD comes out with a new mainline entry to the series every single year. It's a different situation.
Only 60 million less than GTA5, nice. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You picked one of the greatest selling games of all time to mock another franchise's sales? That doesn't really make the statement you think it does. That's like me saying GTA5's only 60 million behind Minecraft, so let's laugh at GTA5 :messenger_winking:

edbrat

eh it's not as if sales matter anymore to Halo given Infinite will be on GP day one, surely now it needs to increase "stickiness" on GP and drive higher levels of "engagement" than whatever else is on the service that month. It's obv big historically but 343's Infinite reveal was about as bad as I've ever seen for a big IP, it looks like such a colossal dogturd one wonders if it will even do what MS wants it to for GP let alone generate multimillion sales at a high ASP to even compete with actual big gaming IPs. Everything is being thrown into the fire for GP if that doesn't work out sooner rather than later than the architects of that strategy will be vaporised quicker than you can say "Satya investor conf call".

nordique

I find halo games fun.
I haven’t tried 4 and 5 yet so my opinion may change based on what people say but I like the games. I’m still going to play them

Kerotan

How is that low lmao?

10 games listed above, that’s an average of 8.1 million sales per game. That’s more than most Zelda games.

For context, there’s 7 games in the God of War franchise, and if the latest sold 20 million, the series has currently sold 40 million copies world wide.
I know which sales trajectory I'd prefer.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Hmm that number sounds fishy. They’re prob adding GP numbers, MAU numbers, even adding toys in the mix. Never trust MS when it comes to numbers.
I trust them more than you. It was already 70 million before Game Pass was a thing.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
How is that low lmao?

7 games in the franchise, but you skip the re releases and compilations that are also included in the sales.

If GOW (2018) sold 20 mil as you suggest, all the releases and releases of those did shit all for the series. As they would have to split 20 million sales through 11 releases.

That doesn’t sound so good.

SkylineRKR

GTAV is pretty much the most ridiculous release ever, you can't compare anything to it. And I'm not surprised when it tops the charts on PS5 and Series X yet again. Minecraft sold more, but its a game for all ages available on everything that has a screen and was at a lower price point.

What GTA V does is unprecedented. This fucking game is going to sell more than the amount of Playstation 2's were ever sold.

And the most bizarre thing is... I never bought it. I hated IV, was done with the franchise. Just skipped 5 twice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom