• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite: 1.5 months from launch, where is the single player trailer?

Robb

Gold Member
I’m hoping they just want to push Forza right now and are waiting with the Halo stuff. Would suck if the campaign got delayed, that’s the part I’m most looking forward to.

Fredrik

Who cares? Is a trailer going to make you decide to buy the game when you weren't going to? The game comes out in a month and a half, why do you need to see a trailer for it? Just wait a month and a half and then play it.

Maybe I'm just old but gee I don't remember having a whinge if I didn't get to see a trailer for a game. Then again I was buying games when the only thing you could base your buying decisions off was what the cover and the back of the box looks like.
Yeah yeah I too used to buy games from looking at bullshit screens on the back of cassette tape boxes. But today publishers usually have marketing campaigns, especially Microsoft for their big games. And they’ve had it for months for Forza Horizon, lots of separate video gameplay events with devs talking, so why not for Halo which is an even bigger IP?

I’m thinking they’ll release Halo MP separately this year and the SP campaign next year, possibly as a separate release with it’s own marketing campaign.

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah yeah I too used to buy games from looking at bullshit screens on the back of cassette tape boxes. But today publishers usually have marketing campaigns, especially Microsoft for their big games. And they’ve had it for months for Forza Horizon, lots of separate video gameplay events with devs talking, so why not for Halo which is an even bigger IP?

I’m thinking they’ll release Halo MP separately this year and the SP campaign next year, possibly as a separate release with it’s own marketing campaign.
I think the difference with Forza is you can show a ton because there not much to spoil. Once you know the setting, you know exactly what your getting.

I bet my left nut they don't delay the campaign. They clearly said they are in lockdown mode, once the end is in sight they'll show us.

Hopefully it's good, although I'm in the camp that thought the game play demo looked decent, if a bit rough. What little we have seen since then has been great imo.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned

Because Forza releases next? Halo also doesn't need as much marketing, it's Halo.

Paradicia

They will release it when its ready. The game will be great if the MP was anything to go by. If there's something I can give 343 credit for, it's polish. I was playing Halo 4 through MCC the other day and was really impressed by how its held its own after all these years. It felt like a tight game, and I expect the same for Infinite.

Romulus

Eh. I wouldnt call any of those franchises going strong. When was the last time Metroid, GT, Mario and Doom won GOTY awards? And how in the world is Metroid still going strong? Metroid Dread just launched after a dreadful decade long break where Metroid was MIA. Wii U didnt get a single metroid game. How is that for strong?

I think they should not be making Halo anymore. Just like how ND isnt making Jak and Daxter anymore. How Insomniac isnt making Spyro the Dragon anymore. How Sucker Punch isnt making Sly Cooper anymore. How bungie isnt making Halo. Even Rockstar moved on to RDR2 and skipped an entire gen of GTA games, and delivered an experience the juvenile setting of GTA would never allow them to do. Imagine where the industry would be without RDR2, TLOU, Destiny, Assasins Creed, Mass Effect, Dark Souls, Titanfall, Spiderman, and Ghost of Tsushima. All those studios ditched their early 2000s franchises to make those games. Hell, even CoD only became huge because those guys got tired of making WW2 games and took the franchise to Modern Warfare.

Your bit about them changing the art style twice and fans wanting to go back to the series roots is exactly why 343 needs to move away from this franchise. I couldnt tell you when they changed the art style because it looks identical to anyone who is not a hardcore fan of the franchise. And hardcore fans will never accept any changes so why bother? All they want to do is play the same game they fell in love with in 2001 over and over again. Your ridiculous reaction to my post is a testament to that.

They have been making Halo games longer than Bungie ever did. Let them move on. Fans would riot at any kind of real change or innovation so thats out of the question. I know how toxic things got when they added sprint and ADS. If these people cant handle that, how would they handle changes like GoW added. I have always been a fan of MGS not because Kojima stuck to its root but because he continuously uprooted and replanted the damn thing from scratch. Entirely new settings from military bases to jungle to urban areas to finally a fully explorable open world. Perspective changes. You want to shoot in first person? go right ahead. You want to play this stealth game like Rainbow, here is a rocket launcher, an LMG and some helicopters. He kept the series fresh for over 2 decades by NOT going back to the series roots.

I'd think we can replace some of those "going strong" franchises with GTA and Zelda. RDR2 did not replace GTA. The sales for GTA5 are over 150 million. No way in hell any Rockstar exec or investor looked at that and said "meh, let's move on." The next game is definitely in development. Probably not a huge rush though because gta5 was outselling new games years after it came out. Lol.

And why does "going strong" require GOTY awards? Those are mostly bullshit anyway. Going strong is sales and staying power.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

There have been campaign trailers at E3 for 4 years, we saw campaign gameplay a full year before Multiplayer gameplay, they have had "Inside Infinite" posts every month that include campaign details, screenshots, and concept art.

Prior to this last E3, we knew nothing at all about the multiplayer which worried people because Halo 5 had a beta 10 months before it launched.
And what was that campaign gameplay like? You are talking like it didn't singlehandedly destroy most hype for the game. Most people here are talking about improved gameplay that actually looks like a high budget next gen halo title.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'd think we can replace some of those "going strong" franchises with GTA and Zelda. RDR2 did not replace GTA. The sales for GTA5 are over 150 million. No way in hell any Rockstar exec or investor looked at that and said "meh, let's move on." The next game is definitely in development. Probably not a huge rush though because gta5 was outselling new games years after it came out. Lol.

And why does "going strong" require GOTY awards? Those are mostly bullshit anyway. Going strong is sales and staying power.
Actually in my original post, I said GTA and RE are one of the few franchises from 2001 that are still going strong.

You look at franchises from 20 years ago, and very few still have the same prestige. Sony isnt making Jak and Daxter anymore. Or Twisted Metal. MGS is a dead franchise. Medal of Honor was huge back then. Tekken and Dead or Alive were huge launch titles on the PS2. GTA and Resident Evil are pretty much the only franchise from 2001 that are still alive and kicking. Most were shelved for good reason. It's time to move on to something new. Just like Bungie did with Destiny.

But there is no doubt that RDR2 was prioritized over GTA. All 3000 employees at 7 Rockstar studios worked on RDR2. They were ok with skipping GTA this gen in order to really push the medium with RDR2. GTA simply cant have a protagonist like Arthur Morgan. It just cant tell that story. It's a huge departure from GTA games.

Going strong can mean many things. Sales, critical acclaim, hype. CoD has sales, but no hype or GOTY awards. It comes and goes every year like Fifa and Madden. So does Assassins Creed and pretty much every ubsioft franchise. They are all still going strong. The person I was quoting specifically mentioned hype as the it factor. halo hasn't won a GOTY award since Halo 3 in 2007. The franchise used to be bigger than even GOTY awards. It used to be the IT franchise back in the day. Fuck CoD, Halo reinvented console shooters. Halo 2 set the bar for online console shooters. It's a franchise with extreme prestige and yet it feels like a shell of itself today. Sales are down. No critical acclaim. Very little hype. Though i hear the MP beta was well received by the fanbase.

Microsoft needs to treat this franchise as not just any other AAA franchise but as THE AAA franchise. One that sets a new bar, be it in visuals or online or gameplay features. I love that they gave this team 6 years to make this game, but now they need to show the goods. And what they have shown so far has been very underwhelming.

This has been a very weak year. The biggest GOTY contenders are frigging Deathloop and a 2D Metroid game. Both great games, but not your typical GOTY winners. This is Halo's year to shine. The GOTY is theirs for the taking, and MS doesnt seem to get that.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Slimy snake, you can’t seriously say that Mario and Doom aren’t still going strong.

id have to agree that plenty of franchises have survived over 20 years and still retain a lot of excitement from fans. It is rare though, sure.

And what was that campaign gameplay like? You are talking like it didn't singlehandedly destroy most hype for the game. Most people here are talking about improved gameplay that actually looks like a high budget next gen halo title.
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the gameplay, the graphics just needed polish and that's what the extra year was for. I think all of those issues were resolved once we played the Multiplayer Test. The MP looks great, feels great and plays great. We shouldn't expect anything less of the campaign.

Last edited:

Romulus

Actually in my original post, I said GTA and RE are one of the few franchises from 2001 that are still going strong.

Yeah and Doom is still there too. Over 7 million sales is nothing to squeeze at. Even The Elder Scrolls is old at this point but would sell tens of millions if it released. Final Fantasy is another that continues to release. XV did over 9 million in sales. Dragon Quest can pop up on the best sellers list too and is extremely old.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the gameplay, the graphics just needed polish and that's what the extra year was for. I think all of those issues were resolved once we played the Multiplayer Test. The MP looks great, feels great and plays great. We shouldn't expect anything less of the campaign.
It's pure nonsense to believe an entire year has been used only to improve graphics. I'd wager that there have been rewrites (dialogue not story obviously) by Staten himself. Reshot cutscenes and the usual tuning and graphics improvements.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It's pure nonsense to believe an entire year has been used only to improve graphics. I'd wager that there have been rewrites (dialogue not story obviously) by Staten himself. Reshot cutscenes and the usual tuning and graphics improvements.
Wasnt the game content complete last year?
They were using motion capture and big studio for cutscenes and stuff right?

I doubt they heavily reworked any of the actual campaign stuff.
"Remastering" an already content complete game can be done in a year.....reworking the core game....yea thats unlikely to have been done.
Its quite possible they were gonna release it in that state with some extra polish but NOT the amount of polish they have right now.
One year isnt that long a time to change major issues with the game.

But we may never know till someone decides they want to reveal what actually happened with the development of the game.
What really transpired in that final year will be one of gamings mysteries for a while me thinks.

I mean, that's a fair assumption, but the poor reaction was geared at graphics and only then was it delayed. So, to think most of the time wasn't focused on better texture work would be nonsense as well. They had a lot to do. Story improvements could have been made, sure, but it's also a big studio and texture artists aren't the same employees as animators, and motion capture techs. In the end, all of this could have been going on at the same time if it were to have been required. It's a studio of many, not few, multiple tasks can be worked on at once that are and are not related to one another.

Top Bottom