• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Campaign Gameplay Premiere – 8 Minute Demo

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Great to see the BR and a nice read. I'm still highly skeptical..I still think keeping sprint in the mix is really going to hurt MP long term.

Umbasaborne

Banned
They delayed it so that the game looks like that during game play. As per 343i the game is "content complete", so they are only fixing the graphical issues now.

im not sold it will end up looking like that since they still have to be able to support the 2013 xbox one, but i hope your right. I expect the game to look better certainly than what was shown (on next gen at least) but not to the level of the slip space trailer. Time will tell though. Despite my ps avatar, im a big xbox fan, just frustrated at the state of their new console launch. The system is great, but they have nothing new that really shows it off.

NickFire

I saw this and I'm wondering if MS surprises everyone by releasing MP in beta format sooner than anyone expected. If its gonna be free anyway I don't see what harm they would cause, and I bet that could really move some consoles (if there are any to move :messenger_tears_of_joy: ) before the end of year games start coming out (or getting delayed :messenger_fearful:).

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

hi_pelican_ring_concept_1920x1237-cee66a1261c94714af7e387578eb357d.jpg
hi_campaign_warthog_1920x1080-e85e2358c15c4654aa26731d12e519ab.jpg
hi_banished_interior_concept_1920x980-4eb182b6af794778acccbb132b6b60a0.jpg
hi_banished_tower_concept_1920x1047-dae4d220daca4195a3722931e7369847.jpg
hi_campaign_sniper_1920x1080-4d6125a57bb343f682a1000ae7ac5bf9.jpg
hi_campaign_banshees_1920x1080-ff1cbb024549441e94c526deacc05e19.jpg
hi_campaign_tower_cycle_1920x2702-6c2028e603f24810b0b803a2666c7eeb.jpg

There is a hidden audio log

Last edited:

hard_boiled

Neophyte
They delayed it so that the game looks like that during game play. As per 343i the game is "content complete", so they are only fixing the graphical issues now.
Excellent news. I hope they release additional gameplay showcasing their fixes before they release the game, so people understand what changes they have implemented.

Excellent news. I hope they release additional gameplay showcasing their fixes before they release the game, so people understand what changes they have implemented.
Yeah we will definitely get a good look at the Campaign and MP this summer is my guess. I'm expecting a massive improvement over what we saw last year and even over these latest screenshots, I think this will be a graphical showcase (against all the odds).

Bernkastel

im not sold it will end up looking like that since they still have to be able to support the 2013 xbox one, but i hope your right. I expect the game to look better certainly than what was shown (on next gen at least) but not to the level of the slip space trailer. Time will tell though. Despite my ps avatar, im a big xbox fan, just frustrated at the state of their new console launch. The system is great, but they have nothing new that really shows it off.
If the Switch can run Doom, anything is possible and can be downgraded enough.

iJudged

Banned
someone remind me, what's a new release date? Also, when can we expect to see some new gameplay with upgraded Craig?

Bernkastel

The graphics in MP, but especially the campaign and the cutscene looks fantastic. But I've learned a valuable lesson over the years of gaming. We truly, truly don't understand how much work goes into making games look better. I just played Halo 3 Campaign again the other day on Series X, and I was able to easily adapt myself to its dated graphics elements and was able to appreciate it for what it was. I may as well had been transported right back to the year it came out.

Okay, it didn't look THIS good for me back in 2007, but I was able to appreciate what the game did on a technical level.

I bring this up for this reason, this screenshot. Look at the god damn detail on that ghost. I'm referring to that circular portion. I don't know if that was in previous Halo games, but if it was it wasn't something I ever took time to appreciate. It just looks better in this game. In the control panel he's looking at looks great.

haloinfinite_mp04_3840x2160-d3a643feb2d4443985a220e1b7fbb03d.png

Banned

I really wonder if they just faked these reflections really well for these specific shots (as in having specific reflection maps for that cutscene) or if they have selectively used raytraced reflections in the game.

they talked about RT features being added last year (before the delay), back then they said they would come after release in an update...

Bernkastel

I really wonder if they just faked these reflections really well for these specific shots (as in having specific reflection maps for that cutscene) or if they have selectively used raytraced reflections in the game.

they talked about RT features being added last year (before the delay), back then they said they would come after release in an update...
That was back when it was meant to be a launch title. As per 343i the game has been "content complete" for a while, Joe Staten even said that he played through the whole campaign when he joined in August. They would have spent more than a year polishing the game by the time it releases. So, RT is probably available at launch.

Last edited:

elliot5

That was back when it was meant to be a launch title. As per 343i the game has been "content complete" for a while, Joe Staten even said that he played through the whole campaign when he joined in August. They would have spent more than a year enhancing the graphics by the time it releases. So, RT is probably available at launch.
Highly likely once they decided to delay, production re-evaluated the timeline and prioritizations and RT was pushed back as the team focused on other optimizations/improvements/polish. I wouldn't expect RT at launch.

Banned
That was back when it was meant to be a launch title. As per 343i the game has been "content complete" for a while, Joe Staten even said that he played through the whole campaign when he joined in August. They would have spent more than a year polishing the game by the time it releases. So, RT is probably available at launch.

well there's zero evidence for it except for these shots where Chief is talking to the fake Cortana. and even these can be specifically placed reflection maps.
so I don't know... I haven't seen any real evidence that any RT effect is present. of course it is hard to tell if it is maybe global illumination or something, but even that isn't really evident here.

I actually do suspect this in some from. It might be a conscious decision from Microsoft first parties on how to utilize ray tracing. You love to see it in gameplay, but if the game still looks incredible without it, but you can make selective use of it to make certain scenes look even better, I'm all for it. They can work out how to integrate it into gameplay at a later date. With Forza Horizon 5 RT is only in Forza Vista mode, but apparently not in gameplay. Honestly, it doesn't even seems like it needs it looking like it does.

Now on that end, perhaps because Turn 10 are the creators of the engine, maybe Playground needs to wait for whatever enhancements they bring to the game engine with Forza Motorsport relating to RT before more fully embracing it in their other games. I certainly don't mind selective use of it, though, but Halo Infinite's campaign and overall artstyle just seem perfect for it.

the_master

When they say content, they mean levels, weapons, enemies, etc...
RT would fall off that category and fit into "tech" or "features", more particularly into render tech, and maybe some tech art, if they need to tweak the level data or even lighting art.
Now, I imagine that all this departments have been very busy improving the game lighting, textures and details so I am not sure they have had time to spend on RT (unless they would had spent the time on RT as part of the visual upgrade, but then again, I doubt that because the game is also for last gen and they should not base their visual upgrades on something exclusive for next gen)

My bet is that they will add RT in one more years time.

Bernkastel

Top Bottom