• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite dev responds to negative reactions.

Dontero

Banned
It is really painful to see them trying to jump around the fact and tell people this is xbox one game ported to XSX not "next gen" title. They should from outright manage expectations or release it before next gen hits not after.

GHG

I don't see why he needed to respond like this, there were people telling us there's nothing wrong, everyone's haters and that it is the gaming community who are at fault.

But in all seriousness, that's a good humble response but now they need to go full Hello Games on this shit where they stop talking and simply get to work.

REDRZA MWS

if the demo was 6 months old and greenberg said “We see build check-ins every week, and they make progress week after week, so between now and Holiday, it's going to get better and better.” then why didn’t they have something better to show for the big event?

I believe the quote was that this demo was built for e3 back in June, and to get it ready for e3 in June, they took a couple months to get it ready for that event. So the theory is this demo was built a few months ago, and since then the team has obviously made improvements. Time will tell.

I feel for any developer in charge of a massively popular and successful franchise. If they make changes, the graphics, aim down sites, sprint, spartan armor abilities, the team gets hell and “this is not Halo”. They make a game that CLEARLY harkens back to the roots and the sentiment is “this looks like a last gen game”.

I believe the game looked great, especially when casted from my phone to a 4k tv. I believe the game will be great, both campaign and multiplayer. Native 4k/60 is great. Gameplay is king. They may later add 4k textures (like they did with Gears), and RT.

Too many Chicken littles “The sky is falling”.

mdQ9jQg.jpg

If Microsoft’s flagship game gets a 7 from ign and gamespoe it’s over for them. It’s gonna get a lower Metacritic anyway just because certain websites won’t review certain games well etc.

I would just delay it

There decision to make this crossgen, for all intensive purposes, should of been rethinked.

/edit: nobody bit on that? :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
If Microsoft’s flagship game gets a 7 from ign and gamespoe it’s over for them. It’s gonna get a lower Metacritic anyway just because certain websites won’t review certain games well etc.

I would just delay it
If the game is broken like Halo MCC was in the beginning, then maybe it will get a 6-7. Otherwise it will easily get a 9

i could forgive the graphics IF there was full blown ray tracing. otherwise theres no excuse l, considering this game could easily run on a one x at 4k60.

delaying ray tracing to post launch is inexcusable. they need to hire as many contractors as possible to implement it before laucnh.

with that said, the gameplay looks good and thats what truly matters with a halo game. i just hope sprint isnt making it over to MP

If I was 343 or MS I wouldn't even bother responding to the obvious trolling over the web. The gameplay looked amazing : the fightfighte, AI, setting and music pure HALO. The weapons and how they looked and sounded when being fired was top craftsmanship and with a game world on a scale never seen before in HALO.

Let the trolls have thier moment inthe sun , when people play the actual finished game I think it be a different story. Really though MS and Mr Greenberg,. The lack of proper IN game footage of Forza 8 was a total mess up , sort that out and start to show off what the game looked like when being played...
Not 4 Seconds of a pointless reply,

Schmick

The pandemic is acknowledged and has impacted the development. Surely reason to delay? No one is going to blame 343 for a delaying because of the pandemic

*thinks for a moment, then realises this is NeoGaf*

Never mind.

magaman

Banned
You're 6 years old. You see your dad toiling at his desk. You ask what he's doing, and it's something called "programming." You sit on his lap, and the strange language that he's writing somehow translates to a working executable.

This sticks with you. Starting at age 8, you take an interest in it. By age 10, you're playing with Visual Basic. By 15, you've got full prototypes of rudimentary games. Off to college you go, eventually graduating with a concentration in CS.

Your dream is to work on games. It was your passion growing up -- it's everything you've wanted, professionally speaking. You land a job at 343i, and your work life is basically spent on a project that allows no room for creativity. It's not your project; hell, it's not even owned by the studio who is making it. It's someone else's work, and you're just a pawn who is hired to help milk it until there's nothing left.

You spend years here. Your beard is now scraggly, and that briefcase is heavy. You sit down and stare at lines of code you can't deviate from, and that email inbox is filled with management barking at you due to a poor community response.

The poster in front of you is ironic. "Halo: Infinite. Be the Hero," you read aloud.

A chair squeaks from down the hall. You're alone, even amongst fellow developers. Alone together in a development hell.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
The crazy thing is the base XBOX ONE would probably run at 900p/60fps and this is a remarkable achievement.

For this reason, I think proper messaging could have provided for a very different fan response.

If the angle had been, "This is Halo Infinite on Xbox One X, but on Series X it'll look this good and run at native 4K" I think you'd have a lot of pretty satisfied fans.

You think the textures are really that bad? I believe they are in the realm of what we can expect from a native 4K 60fps game for next gen. 4K 60 is too demanding for next gen assets.

The worst offenders in Halo Infinite for me are the LOD and pop in.

Journey

Banned
4 months is to little time, there will be some improvements no doubt but some of those issues won't go away.

Just delay the damn game, 7/10 game will not help Microsoft cause.

7 our of 10 because it doesn't have the best possible graphics even though its running a buttery smooth 60fps at 4K? Since when do we judge games this way without looking at the gameplay, campaign story and multiplayer?

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

You're 6 years old. You see your dad toiling at his desk. You ask what he's doing, and it's something called "programming." You sit on his lap, and the strange language that he's writing somehow translates to a working executable.

This sticks with you. Starting at age 8, you take an interest in it. By age 10, you're playing with Visual Basic. By 15, you've got full prototypes of rudimentary games. Off to college you go, eventually graduating with a concentration in CS.

Your dream is to work on games. It was your passion growing up -- it's everything you've wanted, professionally speaking. You land a job at 343i, and your work life is basically spent on a project that allows no room for creativity. It's not your project; hell, it's not even owned by the studio who is making it. It's someone else's work, and you're just a pawn who is hired to help milk it until there's nothing left.

You spend years here. Your beard is now scraggly, and that briefcase is heavy. You sit down and stare at lines of code you can't deviate from, and that email inbox is filled with management barking at you due to a poor community response.

The poster in front of you is ironic. "Halo: Infinite. Be the Hero," you read aloud.

A chair squeaks from down the hall. You're alone, even amongst fellow developers. Alone together in a development hell.
"Sooo dark... You sure you're not part of the DC universe"

Dan Chosich Halo Infinite's narrative experience director replied to one fan saying "I've been in your shoes. I know what it's like to have expectations built + feel let down. I want you to know your voice matters + is heard. You're not falling on deaf ears. I always want to live up to the legacy that Bungie pioneered. I personally care a lot about honoring that."

Aaron Greenberg spoke to inside gaming last week and said "Listen, we're in the middle of a global pandemic. It's July; we're far from Holiday, you're seeing a work-in-progress game," adding, "It's very hard to show the full power and graphic fidelity of what Xbox Series X can deliver for you over a stream, so go back and look at it in 4K/60. It is a work in progress. We see build check-ins every week, and they make progress week after week, so between now and Holiday, it's going to get better and better."

Do you guys expect a lot to change?
Again Greenberg, when you see build check-ins every week then why did you not used the latest build?🙄

Last edited:

Sejan

I really don’t put any stock on the stance that this is from an old demo. This was a non playable video. They could have cut it however they needed to avoid crashes and focus on areas that are fully polished. We see footage this far out all the time that is well representative of the final product.

Tschumi

all i can say is, i'm willing to trade in that guy's reputation for that xbox dude who said he 'felt good' after the ps5 launch to have a hot blush sweat in his air conditioned room as he thinks about how gosh darned embarrassing it all is

Last edited by a moderator:

Three

I have little doubt that it would improve. Improve and reach a certain level that this gen set. I doubt however that it will become the pinnacle of next gen graphics.

McCarth

Anthem 2.0
With the stock 'your voice is heard' response as well.

More and more it looks like MS is getting Halo out the door, unfinished, with the idea that since most play it via GamePass they'll be more likely to tolerate an additional 6-12 months for the base fixes.

iconmaster

Banned
With the stock 'your voice is heard' response as well.

More and more it looks like MS is getting Halo out the door, unfinished, with the idea that since most play it via GamePass they'll be more likely to tolerate an additional 6-12 months for the base fixes.

I guess this is the inevitable result of the GamePass model. Lower your standards, these games are essentially free. Like Amazon Originals.

Codes 208

Ryan Macafrey slams Halo, says MS will either delay the game or prioritise Raytracing for launch to fix the flat gfx referring to Digital Foundry analysis.

What do you think, will it be delayed? Will it launch on time with RT? Will RT fix the games problems?

Ray tracing doesn’t magically make low texture graphics and pop-in better. They need to rework the textures, add ambient occlusion, change certain models (Craig), scuff the armor of certain characters so they don’t look so plasticy and revamp the lighting system altogether.

I can’t say much about the gameplay, the gameplay looks pretty fun.

I say delay the full game, but leave a small bit for the SX launch, like a Halo BR mode (like a reversal of Modern warfare first, warzone second)

Mmnow

Seriously, you guys will try to pull a negative out of the worlds cutest puppy.

It hurts my head how many people here want Gamepass to have a catch, or to even outright fail.

"Sixty dollars is the price of a game and that's the price you should pay." Suggesting a way of making it cheap and more accessible is ridiculous and making it any more expensive results in mass hysteria.

Last edited:

nush

Halo carries the Xbox brand

Stop and think, does it really?

Seems to have a duality of the software side (Games) being a greatest hits and nostalgia and the hardware and software tools being peak. I don't think now, today the Xbox is actually viewed as the "Halo Box".

There's not been a Halo game this gen that was culturally relevant or made an impact.

magaman

Banned
Yes. Ai sucks. Motion doesn't have weight. Level design bad. Script bad. World feels dead.
Kingthrash summarises with examples of old halos showing how backwards it is.

Yep. This whole project is straight out of 2008.

I really don’t put any stock on the stance that this is from an old demo. This was a non playable video. They could have cut it however they needed to avoid crashes and focus on areas that are fully polished. We see footage this far out all the time that is well representative of the final product.

That's what has me worried the most. Out of everything they could've showed, they showed this, because this is the best Halo: Infinite has to offer. This IS polished. This IS the project as it stands today, in its best light. To think MS would let them show garbage on purpose to hold something back is asinine. This was their next-gen coming out party - your one chance to make a lasting first impression. If this were a blind date, you may as well put a brown bag on it.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people are overlooking the fact that the gameplay was just as unimpressive as the graphics.

There was nothing in the demo that looked like a leap into the future. They somehow, for the life of me, managed to make a grappling hook look unexciting. I'm not sure if it's the animation or just the overall implementation of it but it just looks like a half-baked idea. It's stuff like that and the uneventful enemy encounters that lead me to believe that the game needs much more time in development. Ray tracing and high framerates are neat, but if they're coupled with gameplay that does nothing new then the overall experience will just feel outdated.

To be honest, I'm starting to think the last-gen graphics aren't a result of the XSX being tethered to the X1 and instead, are a direct result of the studio trying to achieve a rock solid 60fps at 4K. Which then leads me to believe that the implementation of ray tracing and other 'next-gen graphics' will have a much more severe impact -- on the overall visuals and performance -- than we think. So the plot twist could be that once the graphics 'improve', the framerate and resolution will drop, leading to another round of "What in the fuck happened?" questions around the game.

magaman

Banned
I think a lot of people are overlooking the fact that the gameplay was just as unimpressive as the graphics.

There was nothing in the demo that looked like a leap into the future. They somehow, for the life of me, managed to make a grappling hook look unexciting. I'm not sure if it's the animation or just the overall implementation of it but it just looks like a half-baked idea. It's stuff like that and the uneventful enemy encounters that lead me to believe that the game needs much more time in development. Ray tracing and high framerates are neat, but if they're coupled with gameplay that does nothing new then the overall experience will just feel outdated.

To be honest, I'm starting to think the last-gen graphics aren't a result of the XSX being tethered to the X1 and instead, are a direct result of the studio trying to achieve a rock solid 60fps at 4K. Which then leads me to believe that the implementation of ray tracing and other 'next-gen graphics' will have a much more severe impact -- on the overall visuals and performance -- than we think. So the plot twist could be that once the graphics 'improve', the framerate and resolution will drop, leading to another round of "What in the fuck happened?" questions around the game.

Agree, and if the gameplay was impressive I could easily forgive the graphics. But nothing we've seen, literally nothing, made me even raise an eyebrow. Dated mechanics, boring AI, the same old shit we've seen for 10 years. This is the best 343 could muster? Really? It's almost unfathomable that indie titles with <2 years of dev time behind them look and play better than what we've seen.

Dynasty8

Yeah, was coming to post this. Honestly, the graphics aren't a big concern for me, I'd much rather have peak consistent performance and have the same graphics from current gen if I had to choose.

The main thing about the gameplay trailer that bothered me was that the gameplay just didn't look exciting. I've played all the Halo games, the only thing that was different here was a grapple hook. The big change is open world, but they didn't go into too much detail about that and I think that's why a lot of people were let down. I want to know more about what kind of activities you can do while free roaming, side quests, hidden secrets, challenges, etc. If this is going to be simply a Halo campaign and arena multiplayer, I don't know if that's enough incentive to keep me playing for more than a month or two max.

Top Bottom