• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite director Chris Lee has left the project

pixelation

Phil's head is the one that needs to start rolling if I am being honest.

EDIT: To elaborate, he's been churning out promises and more promises for years. I fail to see anything noteworthy that he's done in his tenure so far (the Bethesda deal if we can attribute him that, but going by their mismanagement of several studios and IP's in the past and present time... we need to wait and see what comes out of that acquisition and how it all pans out.).

Last edited:
They need to give us a release date, a look at MP... anything... it’s a shit time to be a Halo fan.

I hear you. I have not owned an Xbox since the OG, but I was going to switch until the Infinite presentation. I have many fond memories of Halo and Halo 2, especially playing in my college dorm room on the the last with other dudes throughout the dorm.

Romulus

This is literally the biggest development failure I have ever witnessed from a flagship AAA title. Multiple directors and leadership personal have quit, incredibly long development, awful gameplay after 5 years, and in the end, it'll be luckily to be a 7/10 after the better part of a decade.

MCplayer

I think they deserved a chance. Halo 5 MP is absolutely sublime, and that's the meat and potatoes.

MCC is a stellar collection, and packaged well. OK, the MP matchmaking was broken for a long time (I remember horrendous 20 minute waits for a 5 minute game of slayer), but is in a great place now (save for lack of regional server selection, but that's coming).

So yeah, they proved they could do MP, they weren't scared to try new things to mix it up. Well worth a shot on Infinite. I'll reserve overall judgement until I see the final game.
Most of the studios out there could have done MCC and maybe a proper MCC at launch...
Halo 5 MP was good but not the best compared to H2 or 3.

They are just mediocre (not decent enough for Halo "one of the biggest IP franchises in gaming history"), they cant make a consistent good game in both SP and MP like Bungie did

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
cXGegwa.gif

343 management ultimately reports to MS management though. MS not realising what a turd the game was looking before the backlash speaks volumes

Not necessarily, they give their studios freedom to make the games they wanna make and for the mostpart, that works. Its what sony does. But in this case, it clearly didnt work.

You cant give them freedom and breath down their necks at the same time. You either do it, or you dont.

You had FIVE years and half a billion dollars in budget and you gave us Craig

This is a good thing for MS, 343 needs a good management shake up after that mess of a trailer.
The 500 million was a debunked rumor.

Still, MS flagship series going down in flames. Pathetic.

343i should be lashed for this. Bring back Bungie or at least a group of exceptionally talented caring people.

EDIT: To elaborate, he's been churning out promises and more promises for years. I fail to see anything noteworthy that he's done in his tenure so far (the Bethesda deal if we can attribute him that, but going by their mismanagement of several studios and IP's in the past and present time... we need to wait and see what comes out of that acquisition and how it all pans out.).

Halo 4 and 5 were in released/ in development before Phil was even in charge. Both those games were trend chasing messes that lacked any direction. Both (and MCC even) had a shitty launch and lacked features that had been in every other previous Halo.

343 has shown to be completely incompetent in every attempt they’ve had. I don’t blame Phil at all.

oldergamer

bullshit

Goldpanda94

Neo Member
Sometimes I think about how cool it woulda been if Halo as an IP could have continued in the trajectory it was on around the time of Halo 3 and maybe continued on to be this huge Star Wars like multimedia Sci-fi franchise. The way the IP has been handled with the quality of the games and extended universe products (aside from the books which are good!) coming out unfortunately I don't think it'll reach that status unless something maybe happens. Which makes me a little disappointed as a fan form Halo 1 onwards.

Xenon

Kill the studio? Cancel the game? You guys are nuts. Clean it up push it out leave a small support staff to maintain it and let 343 work on a new IP. Very few Studios could have walked in and tried to fill bungee shoes. I think they did a pretty good job but lost the plot thanks to Bonnie's Direction. Trying to tell a story over multiple forms of media when your a video game developer is stupid and Halo 5 was a colossal fuck up as far as the single player Story Goes. The multiplayer was great and it was a shame that the crappy story and deceptive PR fail to bring more people into experience it.

Last edited:

xBlueStonex

Lmao at the idiots blaming Phil.

Coming from one of the biggest Halo fans you'll ever meet (I still consider Halo CE to be one of the greatest games ever made, only second to Ocarina of Time), 343i is a complete joke. I bought into their bullshit back when Halo 4 launched, and even then I couldn't look passed how awful the game was. I tried to give them another chance with Halo 5, which turned out to be easily the worst Halo game ever made. And now sitting here, completely uninterested and dispassionate about Infinite all together, something is obviously wrong. 343i needs to be shut down immediately, Infinite cancelled, and the franchise handed off to a far more talented team. Halo deserves better this.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Lmao at the idiots blaming Phil.

Coming from one of the biggest Halo fans you'll ever meet (I still consider Halo CE to be one of the greatest games ever made, only second to Ocarina of Time), 343i is a complete joke. I bought into their bullshit back when Halo 4 launched, and even then I couldn't look passed how awful the game was. I tried to give them another chance with Halo 5, which turned out to be easily the worst Halo game ever made. And now sitting here, completely uninterested and dispassionate about Infinite all together, something is obviously wrong. 343i needs to be shut down immediately, Infinite cancelled, and the franchise handed off to a far more talented team. Halo deserves better this.

There is no need to wish for people to lose their jobs in this current climate.
2uCIjgX.png

lock2k

Banned
Microsoft should hire Neil Druckmann... just saying it!
I guess they should.

Halo Infinite is surely a turd but if anyone can polish it and make it marketable is Neil. lol

They seem to be on the same page regarding woke shit.

Last edited:

Sybrix

The game has clearly gone through many transformations, I would imagine that this game was completely different 4 years ago.

It’s quite sad actually, I remember playing Halo 1 on a test Xbox in a game shop all those years ago.

Have played and loved them all up to Reach

4 and 5 were bad

I hope this news is positive for Infinite

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I see a lot of hot takes on the subject and there is nothing wrong with speculation, but isn't it possible that his job is basically finished and he decided to move on to a new opportunity while the rest of the team adds some coats of paint?

How about overseeing the creation of Game Pass which could potentially earn MS ridiculous amounts of cash, and convinced Nadella that buying more studios will be worth it? Or buying Minecraft which I believe has already more than paid for itself. Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon, Master Chief Collection, Ori? He was put in a difficult position as Microsoft almost seemed to have put the whole Xbox project on hold when he came in but he's set Xbox up for a very promising future with Fable, Hellblade, Avowed etc.

I won't deny that he should be challenged about letting 343 mess things up this long though.

Here's what he had to work with when he set out. There's only so much you can do with a handful of studios.

Ekx1gwgWkAwW8pq

Last edited:
Yeah, it’s been obvious this game has had a very rough development for a long time now. Wouldn’t be surprised if this game is delayed for numerous more years or perhaps even completely repurposed.

aries_71

I always thought 343 management was just a bunch of sci-fi novel, comic writers and plastic toy designers promoted to software development. I cannot understand how they were capable to ship Halo 4, which was fairly good. I guess that as time went on, the competent people left the company.

Top Bottom