• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Flight Impressions (Voting Open)

How would you rate the Flight?

• A

Votes: 91 56.5%
  • B

Votes: 36 22.4%
  • C

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • D

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • E

Votes: 11 6.8%

• Total voters

CitizenZ

Banned
Did you like what you played?

No, but I watched enough to know animations/ combat are same from the decades it has been around. In all honesty compared to others it looked like walking in quick sand it was soooooo slow. If you like it thats fine, but to think it is some sort of revelation of FPS, you need to look around. Simply, its a good thing its going FTP, simple.

Lone Wolf

No, but I watched enough to know animations/ combat are same from the decades it has been around. In all honesty compared to others it looked like walking in quick sand it was soooooo slow. If you like it thats fine, but to think it is some sort of revelation of FPS, you need to look around. Simply, its a good thing its going FTP, simple.
You haven’t played it?

Havoc2049

Just a reminder, unlimited budget (500 million rumor) and an extra yr of dev. after delay. Congrats to what is another FTP game with a name attached. Make no mistake that is a fact.
What a troll post. 🙄

😂🤣 You act like Microsoft licensed the Halo name to a third party Dev that slapped the Halo name onto their product.

Just the multiplayer portion is FTP with micro transactions to fund updates. Big AAA franchises use this business model.

Get over yourself.

Last edited:
Left trigger, right trigger, reload, jump, move? Ive played a ton of MCC and trust me this is nothing special. But you do you, thats fine. If you are balling, great. Its just like most today, nothing special IMO.
You must not be familiar with first person shooters.

YukiOnna

Left trigger, right trigger, reload, jump, move? Ive played a ton of MCC and trust me this is nothing special. But you do you, thats fine. If you are balling, great. Its just like most today, nothing special IMO.
So what's the relation to budget and how the game plays? The game could have a budget of $1 billion and in the end, I still wouldn't change my hopes for a good Halo title and fun MP. I don't think anyone is asking for something crazy here as it's an FPS. The company can put whatever investment they feel to make it a good game.

fatmarco

really? Inexcusable? that shit gets blown up by a grenade 10 seconds into the match anyway. Literally who pays attention to this shit
I do think though that details like this help sell the space/ helps with immersion.

I do hope the single player at least has a lot of small details and custom hand crafted content and isn't as bare and artificial as Halo has been in the past, especially given that most of its contemporaries in the same budget arena do this.

YukiOnna

I do think though that details like this help sell the space/ helps with immersion.

I do hope the single player at least has a lot of small details and custom hand crafted content and isn't as bare and artificial as Halo has been in the past, especially given that most of its contemporaries in the same budget arena do this.
I think the SP will have this, but MP shouldn't focus on things like that. Just pointless, all the effort into bringing things to life should be done for the Zeta Halo specifically.

jigglet

Banned
Thruster was fun at first but honestly it takes the predictability out of Halo engagements, especially one on one. It created a loop too unpredictable and also enabled some pretty fantastical movements that weren't intended or easily learnt/known by most players. I've said it before but slide jump while forward movement left + strafe back right + jump front left + thruster any direction you wanted while in the air and all the while shooting at your enemy just made for crappy engagements or surprise hits out of nowhere. Unpredictability isn't what Halo is about.

Yup I get it. I liked thrust boost and would prefer it to be in, but at the same time I get it. That's why it doesn't damper my excitement for HI at all.

cormack12

Gold Member
Seems good to me, but wtf is with the lack of detail in the physics?

This animation is inexcusable.

If you're going to bring up stuff like this then you need to show other arena shooters that do have that level of detail to show your base of reference.

It would be like criticising uncharted 4 for the truck not having gran turismo physics on the truck. Or complaining trees dont fall over if you ram them with horse and carriage in rdr2.

Just seem like you're trying too hard to come up with 'something' to try and laugh at. Probably why it's on twitter.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

and what other contemporaries offer huge open sandboxes of combat often with vehicles and extremely intelligent AI?

there’s a thing called budget and I’ll pass on a water melon exploding over pretty much anything. This is worse than the ratchet doesn’t have animated grass videos that we’re going around. you could do this for any game.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you're going to bring up stuff like this then you need to show other arena shooters that do have that level of detail to show your base of reference.

It would be like criticising uncharted 4 for the truck not having gran turismo physics on the truck. Or complaining trees dont fall over if you ram them with horse and carriage in rdr2.

Just seem like you're trying too hard to come up with 'something' to try and laugh at. Probably why it's on twitter.
Isn’t the video comparing it with another shooter?

jigglet

Banned
Wasn't the $500mil rumour debunked years ago?

Even if it wasn’t, that figure always includes marketing which is stupidly misleading. Like when people say shit like Avatar cost $300 million*

*$200 million on marketing

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Do you know what that shooter is? Is it an arena shooter?
Is Halo now a small arena shooter now? It is not a huge detail, but I am not sure about basic props physics have anything to do with a shooter being arena based or not. Anyways, maybe SP will have that detail.

cormack12

Gold Member
Is Halo now a small arena shooter now? It is not a huge detail, but I am not sure about basic props physics have anything to do with a shooter being arena based or not. Anyways, maybe SP will have that detail.

It doesn't matter. Its just purely for console warriors. Do molotovs burn down doors in cs:go? Why don't the crates break in the shooter on the right and just have decals from the source engine on them?

Can you shoot the heads off flowers in uncharted multiplayer? Can you destroy some of the wood barriers in demons souls? No you can't. It's pointless nitpicking unless you do it with every game.

Baazaar is a map in halo in the bot slayer mode which is an arena game yes. These kind of details are not needed in arena shooters. Arena shooters are about consistency and clean design which is why most look blocky.

MonarchJT

Banned
and this is exactly what I said....you don't know where to look at why halo is expansive as franchise compared to a f2p.

i give you a hint. Maps, modes, Campaign,, Multiplayer, Forge etc etc etc

Last edited:

SpokkX

Best playing Halo game ever

and I love Halo. Loved 2, 3 multi and really enjoyed 5. Reach was fine, 4 was bad. I barely count CE since it was mostly splitscreen f

this is better than all of them easily

anyway, besides the obvious bugs in the test, i have one complaint:

- Skewer needs to peg people to the wall/floor/ceiling

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
True, but this is the rumoured $500 Million Xbox poster child so I thought it was not massively budget constrained.
A budget is a budget, even if it is the rumored 500 million. It's not an endless budget.
Isn’t the video comparing it with another shooter?
Also, I heard the rumour is this is comparing the single player of call of duty warzone with a multiplayer Alpha of Halo. So take that for what it is, I'm not sure if it is actually true that it is the single player of COD but if it is it just proves this fanboys pathetic attempt to discredit a game that is getting a lot of positive buzz after it's flight weekend.

The game plays amazingly, and that's what matters. Were you upset over the none moving grass in Ratchet, as there was a lot of it and someone could say they expect a dev like insomniac to nail this stuff. I honestly thought that was pathetic too.

Maybe this is fair Karma, for the idiots that tried to push that narrative lol.

Mr.ODST

Someone is mega salty that Halo is getting praise, go back to your Sony threads

Mr.ODST

Seems good to me, but wtf is with the lack of detail in the physics?

This animation is inexcusable.

Wow talk about reaching because you are salty, why would they use processing to add physics in a multiplayer shooter, it takes resources .

Just delete your account

jigglet

Banned

Naughty Dog game designer.

I'm not going to lie. I don't think 343 is perfect. My god they're so far from it. But they seem to be good at polishing the bit that matters - the core gameplay loop and mechanics. H5 is a great example of this.

But yeah, even as a huge fan I won't get butt hurt if someone says their games can be rough as fuck in many places. It's totally true.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

People seem to forget physics takes resources, why when I've worked with dev teams on esports projects you minimise the amount of resources it takes to optimise the full flow of gameplay, nobody is going to be standing there staring at fruit or shooting at it while your in the middle of a multiplayer map

jigglet

Banned
People seem to forget physics takes resources, why when I've worked with dev teams on esports projects you minimise the amount of resources it takes to optimise the full flow of gameplay, nobody is going to be standing there staring at fruit or shooting at it while your in the middle of a multiplayer map

I suspect PC is the reason why they needed to be conservative. They want to reach a huge audience, so you'll always want to target moderate level specs.

It's why games like CS or R6 Siege will never get huge graphics upgrades, cause they want huge userbases and low match making times.

As someone who is into competitive PvP I appreciate it. I don't need bells and whistles, I need frames. FRAMES BABY!

Last edited:

YukiOnna

If that's the only thing you can nitpick on a months old alpha/beta build of MP, then they did a good job. :messenger_sunglasses:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It doesn't matter. Its just purely for console warriors. Do molotovs burn down doors in cs:go? Why don't the crates break in the shooter on the right and just have decals from the source engine on them?

Can you shoot the heads off flowers in uncharted multiplayer? Can you destroy some of the wood barriers in demons souls? No you can't. It's pointless nitpicking unless you do it with every game.

Baazaar is a map in halo in the bot slayer mode which is an arena game yes. These kind of details are not needed in arena shooters. Arena shooters are about consistency and clean design which is why most look blocky.

All in a, same for the comments about Ratchet & Clank, the more interactivity and attention to detail the better but sure you need to see the game from a holistic point of view. So, call it trash because they have not implemented that kind of physics yet? Unwarranted and a bit dense to say the least.
But to essentially take any criticism as fanboy attack is like putting up a banner that says “this is meant to be a Y safe space, only positive thoughts allowed or considered”. Circling the wagons helps nobody.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Rigid bodies stuck in a location like this are not running complex continuous collision detection. We are talking about box volume collisions and triggering pre-canned animations.

Does it take capacity / dev or artist time to implement, sure. Is it something you might cut for a 120 FPS mode to reduce frame rate dips? Sure, but we had breakable items on the environment on early PS2 titles like MGS2 running on a 300ish MHz CPU with like 6.2 GFLOPS of peak throughout assuming ideal conditions.

Mr.ODST

Rigid bodies stuck in a location like this are not running complex continuous collision detection. We are talking about box volume collisions and triggering pre-canned animations.

Does it take capacity / dev or artist time to implement, sure. Is it something you might cut for a 120 FPS mode to reduce frame rate dips? Sure, but we had breakable items on the environment on early PS2 titles like MGS2 running on a 300ish MHz CPU with like 6.2 GFLOPS of peak throughout assuming ideal conditions.
MGS2 ... a Single Player game, you optimise MP and SP different depending on targets you want to achieve, if this was a 30FPS MP title then yes you probably could add dynamic collision objects, but considering its targets are 120fps, 60fps at high resolution on Series X and to reach a wide range of PC's then yeah its something you don't want to add in, its an unnecessary addition.

They have a smooth-running game that plays extremely well, that's the target, not shooting some fucking fruit

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The problem with the physics has nothing to do with fruit. But the gravity hammer doing basically nothing while standard melee sends fools half way across the map is an actual problem.

cormack12

Gold Member
All in a, same for the comments about Ratchet & Clank, the more interactivity and attention to detail the better but sure you need to see the game from a holistic point of view. So, call it trash because they have not implemented that kind of physics yet? Unwarranted and a bit dense to say the least.
But to essentially take any criticism as fanboy attack is like putting up a banner that says “this is meant to be a Y safe space, only positive thoughts allowed or considered”. Circling the wagons helps nobody.

Definitely, but when people compare things, they only make sense if you compare like-for-like. So for me, games like Overwatch, Hyperscape, Doom all make sense to be points of peer comparison. You can't invent a problem that is beyond the scope of the game in order to score points. Like I said, should we criticise the jeep/vehicle implementations in Uncharted or State of Decay because the physics are not best in class? Should we criticise The Ascent because the reload animations are not as great as The Last of Us II? Should we point out we can't knock pictures off the walls in the Persona 5 dungeons?

There's valid criticism to be placed at the feet of Halo Infinite and the multiplayer. Performance wasn't great, some of the animations had jank and the shadows were often stuck in the emote stance. Some of the environments were a bit bland compared to other shooters and some of the level design could be tweaked especially in corridor line of sight on Live Range for instance. Each individual fruit not being an item that reacts is way down that list and everyone knows it is disgingenuous, which is why tweets like this are treated as absurd as they appear. I've read a lot of your posts and know intellectually you know this because we agree on a lot.

Mr.ODST

Definitely, but when people compare things, they only make sense if you compare like-for-like. So for me, games like Overwatch, Hyperscape, Doom all make sense to be points of peer comparison. You can't invent a problem that is beyond the scope of the game in order to score points. Like I said, should we criticise the jeep/vehicle implementations in Uncharted or State of Decay because the physics are not best in class? Should we criticise The Ascent because the reload animations are not as great as The Last of Us II? Should we point out we can't knock pictures off the walls in the Persona 5 dungeons?

There's valid criticism to be placed at the feet of Halo Infinite and the multiplayer. Performance wasn't great, some of the animations had jank and the shadows were often stuck in the emote stance. Some of the environments were a bit bland compared to other shooters and some of the level design could be tweaked especially in corridor line of sight on Live Range for instance. Each individual fruit not being an item that reacts is way down that list and everyone knows it is disgingenuous, which is why tweets like this are treated as absurd as they appear. I've read a lot of your posts and know intellectually you know this because we agree on a lot.
You do understand it was a Technical Alpha, the game didn't even have a loadscreen ....

I am sure the exploding fruit is probably just a place-holder animation for now. Well, I am SURE it will at least be updated now. Thanks for whoever troll'd it! LOL

Top Bottom