• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite flight program detailed - tentative date announced

TIGERCOOL

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/inside-infinite-july-2021

First one up is a tech flight. Includes the gun range, training stuff, pared down season pass and a PVE multiplayer mode where 4 human players take on a team of bots.

If all goes well it'll launch next weekend and include "hundreds of thousands" of players accross all platforms. In depth video preview sometime next week.

more in depth article summary compliments of cormack12 cormack12 :
It's a beta basically. You set your profile up on waypoint to join the 'flighting' programme and then you may get an invite. If invited you'll be beta testing the new Halo Infinite multiplayer.

We are specifically calling this a “technical preview” because we feel it best represents the goals we have. Feedback and other insights are certainly valuable, but first and foremost we are testing and stressing the technical side of Halo Infinite. The word “flighting” is fairly new in a lot of circles so when you hear us mention a “flight” – we are simply referring to a work-in-progress, hands-on release on the road to launch. Flighting is the process by which pre-release builds are put out into the wild to pursue specific goals, review data and outcomes, iterate, and repeat – all with the overarching goal of delivering the best shipping experience come launch time.

By flighting the game to Halo Insiders, we’re going to see players uncover quirks in our online services, find whacky new bugs in the game and menus, and so much more. The beautiful part of this process is that it’s all intentional – discovering these issues, small or major, months ahead of launch is the entire point of flighting. We want to find these now so that we can address as many of them as we can ahead of launch.

Depending on how they get feedback you'll usually be asked to play then at the end give feedback on things like matchmaking speed, stability (any crashes)

UPDATE: INVITES SENT OUT.

just got my email

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
our first priority will be ensuring we have a broad distribution of platforms (Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and different PC configurations) and then we will look at overall tenure in the program, prioritizing our longest standing Insiders, until we've allocated every invitation.

We’re excited by the outpouring of support and interest across the community, and the Halo Insider database has grown considerably, which is great news as we eventually look to stress our services and systems at an even greater scale. However, this also means that not every eligible Halo Insider is going to get an invitation – particularly early on as we are deliberately taking a “walk before we run” approach

DOubt I will get in then, as I only signed up like a month ago :/

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I think 'flighting' is just their game for the regular tests/pilots. Probably a play on words as well - to 'pilot' a new feature, you have to take 'flight'. Like some games have PTRs

Kev Kev

I think 'flighting' is just their game for the regular tests/pilots. Probably a play on words as well - to 'pilot' a new feature, you have to take 'flight'. Like some games have PTRs
So they’re going to fly around some levels and take a look? Hey TIGERCOOL TIGERCOOL what exactly are they doing here? That’s a big ass article, can we get a summary of what they are actually doing? Can people participate? Or just view it? Is it going to be live? I’m so confused 😅

cormack12

Gold Member
So they’re going to fly around some levels and take a look? Hey TIGERCOOL TIGERCOOL what exactly are they doing here? That’s a big ass article, can we get a summary of what they are actually doing? Can people participate? Or just view it? Is it going to be live? I’m so confused 😅

It's a beta basically. You set your profile up on waypoint to join the 'flighting' programme and then you may get an invite. If invited you'll be beta testing the new Halo 5 multiplayer.

We are specifically calling this a “technical preview” because we feel it best represents the goals we have. Feedback and other insights are certainly valuable, but first and foremost we are testing and stressing the technical side of Halo Infinite. The word “flighting” is fairly new in a lot of circles so when you hear us mention a “flight” – we are simply referring to a work-in-progress, hands-on release on the road to launch. Flighting is the process by which pre-release builds are put out into the wild to pursue specific goals, review data and outcomes, iterate, and repeat – all with the overarching goal of delivering the best shipping experience come launch time.

By flighting the game to Halo Insiders, we’re going to see players uncover quirks in our online services, find whacky new bugs in the game and menus, and so much more. The beautiful part of this process is that it’s all intentional – discovering these issues, small or major, months ahead of launch is the entire point of flighting. We want to find these now so that we can address as many of them as we can ahead of launch.

Depending on how they get feedback you'll usualyl be asked to play then at the end give feedback on things like matchmaking speed, stability (any crashes)

TIGERCOOL

I put the most relavant parts in my short summary. They are picking a (pretty large) group of people who opted in to do the test flights via halo insider. If you signed up you're eligible to be selected. there are going to be a number of flights but this one's more for testing the bots out and some other small scale stuff. A flight is basically just a short closed beta without the expectation of it being as polished and feature complete as a beta.

It is a long ass article and most of it isn't pertinent for players - just details about how they're testing the systems and what they're looking for from a data collection perspective. I just wanted a place we could all get hype cause there was no thread... I know it was a bit low effort... sorry... but there really is a lot of filler in the article.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Flight program?

where are they going?

jk seriously tho what the hell foes “flight” mean in this context? That is a long ass article/update
Guess it's something along these lines:

Flight Program Operations is responsible for FAA Flight Program safety, policy/standards, operations, training, maintenance, administrative services, financial and business management, acquisition, reporting, regulatory compliance, and other internal/external requirements. Flight Program Operations conducts multiple missions in FAA aircraft to include aviation safety training; flight inspection; research, development, test and evaluation support; and critical event response/transportation.

iHaunter

I need to go buy some lube.
Where we're going, we don't need lube.

Master Chief Fall GIF by Xbox

Phase

Sounds great. I'm interested to see how the lead up and release of this game goes.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
I guess they don't want the negative connotations of the name Beta? Honestly it doesn't really fit as a beta is a work in progress and most "betas" are more like public reaction tests more than anything else.

JLB

Banned
our first priority will be ensuring we have a broad distribution of platforms (Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and different PC configurations) and then we will look at overall tenure in the program, prioritizing our longest standing Insiders, until we've allocated every invitation.

We’re excited by the outpouring of support and interest across the community, and the Halo Insider database has grown considerably, which is great news as we eventually look to stress our services and systems at an even greater scale. However, this also means that not every eligible Halo Insider is going to get an invitation – particularly early on as we are deliberately taking a “walk before we run” approach

DOubt I will get in then, as I only signed up like a month ago :/

i joined many years ago, i think even before halo 5, but not sure. Just checked and im registered, lets see if im lucky enough to get an invitation.

Codes 208

Flight program?

where are they going?

jk seriously tho what the hell foes “flight” mean in this context? That is a long ass article/update
All jokes in this thread aside, 343’s flights are insider-based exclusive betas. You can sign up on waypoint to be potentially picked to join in on the live betas (though keep in mind flights are exclusive to the multiplayer, no campaign)

Kev Kev

All jokes in this thread aside, 343’s flights are insider-based exclusive betas. You can sign up on waypoint to be potentially picked to join in on the live betas (though keep in mind flights are exclusive to the multiplayer, no campaign)
ok got it thanks!

now that i think about it, im curious... why didnt they just call it a closed beta?

isnt that what theyve always been called. i think another poster said this is pre-beta. wouldnt that make it alpha? so why not call it closed alpha, or closed pre beta or whatever? i guess flight is easier bc its one word but then you have people like me who have never heard the term and like wtf is this? i guess this just isnt for normies lol. still tho, dont know why we need a word like flight that seemingly has nothing to do with anything. its like they just picked a random ass word :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Codes 208

ok got it thanks!

now that i think about it, im curious... why didnt they just call it a closed beta?

isnt that what theyve always been called. i think another poster said this is pre-beta. wouldnt that make it alpha? so why not call it closed alpha, or closed pre beta or whatever? i guess flight is easier bc its one word but then you have people like me who have never heard the term and like wtf is this? i guess this just isnt for normies lol. still tho, dont know why we need a word like flight that seemingly has nothing to do with anything. its like they just picked a random ass word :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Flights were already pre-established with MCC (early testing for big updates), the community already knew what they were so they just kept the term i guess

Kev Kev

Flights were already pre-established with MCC (early testing for big updates), the community already knew what they were so they just kept the term i guess
yeah i get that, but where did it come from? why the word "flight"? it seems like its just a random word someone chose. it doenst matter of course, im just curious now

TIGERCOOL

yeah i get that, but where did it come from? why the word "flight"? it seems like its just a random word someone chose. it doenst matter of course, im just curious now
I guess its just their cute way of saying test. As in test flying. they mentioned in the article that they are further along than alpha but the tests won't have the polish and amount of content typically expected in a beta. Feels kind of like PR lingo to dampen expectations for the experience, which is fine. The "flight" build is also a couple of months behind their more current build as well, as they had to break off a piece of the game during dev to get it ready for public consumption. Dev build is probably closer to a beta build but they wouldnt have the mechanisms in place to release that for us

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hmmm, longest standing insiders get first dibs...welp I guess i'll get in the second wave, I just signed up.

Kev Kev

Test flight

I guess its just their cute way of saying test. As in test flying. they mentioned in the article that they are further along than alpha but the tests won't have the polish and amount of content typically expected in a beta. Feels kind of like PR lingo to dampen expectations for the experience, which is fine. The "flight" build is also a couple of months behind their more current build as well, as they had to break off a piece of the game during dev to get it ready for public consumption. Dev build is probably closer to a beta build but they wouldnt have the mechanisms in place to release that for us
aha, ok that makes sense. got it

Last edited:
So it is bots....

Disappointing. Will maybe mess with this like 10 minutes to see whats new and how it feels, then just put it down till the pvp is added.

Top Bottom