• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite is really hard to aim on controller, am I the only one?

svbarnard

Banned
I have a base Xbox One and I'm using the Xbox series X controller and I'm finding it really hard to aim while playing Halo infinite. Is it because I'm playing at 30 FPS? Am I the only one who finds it really hard to aim on controller? I found the aiming to be very good on Halo 5 which was a 60 FPS game but I also found the aiming to be pretty good on Halo 4 which was 30 FPS so I don't understand why it feels so bad on Halo infinite? I mean the aiming feels so wonky I can't hit anyone.

Keep in mind Destiny is a 30 FPS game on Xbox One and aiming in that game feels solid. 343i has had six years to work on Halo infinite this is ridiculous!

Like every Halo game you have to tweak it. Thankfully they give you a lot of options in settings to get it just right. Personally, I had no problem with just the default settings.

Kev Kev

feels great for me

took me a minute to remember to aim with the left stick not the right (well, not exactly thats simple, but the idea is to strafe your target into your sights, not use the right stick to aim for them). obviously you dont do that all the time, but its an essential move if you get into a shoot out with someone in halo

but naw man, aiming feels great. especially coming form back 4 blood where to aiming feels like shit

Naked Lunch

The default aiming is way off. You have to mess with the sensitivity, acceleration, and Look Deadzone settings. I spent hours yesterday tweaking mine.

The crazy thing is - theyve already changed these values and options 3 times now in the 2 Test Flights and now Beta. So ive had to tweak from scratch each time. In this new Beta I swear it even added another option of X/Y axis that was not there in the Flights.

My advice is to turn Aim accell down to nothing and pull down the deadzones until it feels right. Its a pain in the ass scrolling down the setting menu each time to find those options though.

svbarnard

Banned
Like every Halo game you have to tweak it. Thankfully they give you a lot of options in settings to get it just right. Personally, I had no problem with just the default settings.
But with every Halo game I've ever played I've always just played with the default controller settings. Is there anyone here who's playing Halo infinite on Xbox One which would mean you're playing it at 30 FPS that can say the aiming feels good? To me it feels so wonky that I can't hit anyone it feels broken.

nikos

You don’t have to worry about aiming in modern FPS games when there’s aim assist and bullet magnetism.

You can always just run around and melee like everybody else does in that game.

Last edited:

funcojoe

I'm playing on xsx at 120fps and it feels ok, I'm noticing slight hiccups in switching weapons to fire and there being a slight delay, that's pissed me off the most.

As for aiming, I'd have to expect my experience is vastly different then yours at 30fps, but I still feel a tad clunky aiming in game at 120fps at 6 sens, I may go up a couple values today and see how it feels.

I am a pc fps player originally, but the amou t of settings made it possible for me to find a sweet spot. Begin with a high setting, then with a low one and see which to work forward with.

Markio128

Prozd Miss Your Shot GIF by Anime Crimes Division

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am using default aiming on PC and its fine. It's no CoD but I am ending every game with a positive KDR.

However, I am playing at 120 fps and 100 FOV so its possible Im stomping 30 fps plebs like you. This is why Im not too thrilled about crossplay. Now that even the XSX console can do 120 fps, it makes crossplay between consoles a mess.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I actually prefer the gamepad to kb/m on PC, I think. Still testing but it feels a little easier to stay on target, I'm sure the aim assist helps, but also just using the various other controls, grenades, etc - just easier on controller IMO. I'm not particularly good though, so take that into consideration :D

SkylineRKR

Seems fine, I can nail some BR headshots from across the map. Aiming is not typical CoD fare but it feels good to me. I had much more kills today than yesterday, takes some time getting used to it again.

funcojoe

I've always taken the approach of giving a fps a good month or two of playing before I cone to a general consensus on the controls. Thing is though being multi generational I figured this would happen.

svbarnard

Banned
Seems fine, I can nail some BR headshots from across the map. Aiming is not typical CoD fare but it feels good to me. I had much more kills today than yesterday, takes some time getting used to it again.
Are you playing on Xbox One at 30 FPS? And you're telling me the controls feel totally fine to you?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sometimes you don’t have time to aim and I do think firing from the hip is required in order to get a kill.

SkylineRKR

I almost exclusively hip fire unless its a BR or something. I typically adjust to this when I play Halo.

Are you playing on Xbox One at 30 FPS? And you're telling me the controls feel totally fine to you?

60fps on Series S. Controls are good enough for me.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm using an Xbox One controller on my PC with just the base settings and it seems fine to me. Preferences and all that.

Batiman

Banned
I’m great with the BR and AR. Some other guns feel off so far. But I’m just starting. Takes time for me to adjust from one shooter to the next. I was playing apex just before this and it’s fucking me up

Knightime_X

You don’t have to worry about aiming in modern FPS games when there’s aim assist and bullet magnetism.

You can always just run around and melee like everybody else does in that game.
Hasn't played a modern game confirmed.
You can see your shots missing by inches.
If there was true bullet magnetism this wouldn't happen.

Kssio_Aug

Yesterday I played a bit on PC, with a controller. It felt just as usual... I didn't notice anything was off. But I have yet to play on my XSS.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I am using default aiming on PC and its fine. It's no CoD but I am ending every game with a positive KDR.

However, I am playing at 120 fps and 100 FOV so its possible Im stomping 30 fps plebs like you. This is why Im not too thrilled about crossplay. Now that even the XSX console can do 120 fps, it makes crossplay between consoles a mess.

You get what you pay for.

Apparently you can go 10 ranked matches only managing melee kills and grenade kills and still be placed in gold. My shooting skill (in Halo) should be bronze

FeldMonster

Yes OP, the aiming feels like garbage in this game. Probably because it was made for computer first and then ported. Us Xbox players are now second class citizens on our own consoles. Can't even turn off crossplay, what a joke.

Halo 5, Halo 4, and Destiny 1 feel far better.

Don't think I will waste my time playing it unless they tweak it. I will play through the campaign once like all the other Halos, then just go back to MCC and Halo 5 for multiplayer.

Last edited:

Flintty

Most of my aim problems are usually because the world falls out of my arse when I start fighting. Seriously, I panic and shit myself. Just gotta breathe and take it slow.

I found ramping up the sensitivity over time helps, as with all controller FPSs.

Top Bottom