• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Halo Infinite is the currently biggest project in the gaming industry with a budget of more than 500 million US$.

SleepDoctor

Nov 11, 2019
Can people stop acting like its true for the sake of console war arguments. This was denied by Farnkie on the other site and posted here in this thread already.

Who's console warring? Look at their track record. You'd have to be naive to expect anything better from 343

John117

Apr 6, 2019
I hope that this will be a great chapter for Halo, if no 343 Industries could be lose the license. Halo is one of the big franchise in the videogame industry, the project around Halo are Series, maybe in the future movie, more merchandise. So, I can't wait to see Halo at E3 2020 <3

Darkmakaimura

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2008
fortune-summoners.wikia.com
I would like them to buy 10~20 exclusive games with that money. Games like those from Platinum Games, or like a new Ninja Gaiden, or a new Darkstalkers, or even Metal Gear 6.
I'm a huge sucker for Halo lore so even as much as I want a new Ninja Gaiden, I'm pretty excited for a half billion dollars Halo game.

But seeing that trailer befuddles my little brain because it sure didn't look as good as most current gen titles or even Halo 4 or 5. Seemed a bit too.... "cartoonish" when it comes to realism.

That said, I'm a bit skeptical on this rumor. But like others have said, if it's some open world beast, who knows. Almost sounds like they're going down an mmo-lite route.

I still hope for the best. I want to see this franchise succeed. There's so many good stories that can be told thanks to the lore and world-building overall.

Make it happen, Microsoft peoples.

Lady Bernkastel

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
I'm a huge sucker for Halo lore so even as much as I want a new Ninja Gaiden, I'm pretty excited for a half billion dollars Halo game.

But seeing that trailer befuddles my little brain because it sure didn't look as good as most current gen titles or even Halo 4 or 5. Seemed a bit too.... "cartoonish" when it comes to realism.

That said, I'm a bit skeptical on this rumor. But like others have said, if it's some open world beast, who knows. Almost sounds like they're going down an mmo-lite route.

I still hope for the best. I want to see this franchise succeed. There's so many good stories that can be told thanks to the lore and world-building overall.

Make it happen, Microsoft peoples.
Half a million dollar budget is a lie. Franky rebuked it himself.

sdrawkcab

Banned
Dec 2, 2018
I don't know why anyone took this rumor seriously. The number is just way too big to even make sense. Where exactly are they spending all that money? Where is it going? No one asked those questions? Even if the game took 200 million to make, I really don't see it having a 300 million dollar budget. This rumor would have had more credibility if the person who started it said that the 500 million figure was to cover gaming and other related media for Halo, over a 5 to 7 year period or something.

500 million on one game?! Completely laughable at best!

Lady Bernkastel

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
I don't know why anyone took this rumor seriously. The number is just way too big to even make sense. Where exactly are they spending all that money? Where is it going? No one asked those questions? Even if the game took 200 million to make, I really don't see it having a 300 million dollar budget. This rumor would have had more credibility if the person who started it said that the 500 million figure was to cover gaming and other related media for Halo, over a 5 to 7 year period or something.

And even after being refuted, people still post it.
One game or a 10-year project destiny clone. If they haven't earmarked $500b+ for years to come, good luck on it working out.

Not sure what is so crazy about the number, for one game yes, for a series of games... not at all... see Destiny.
GTAV cost $265 million to develop and market as of 2013.

It would not surprise me if Halo Infinite will have several hundred million in marketing although part of that will be tied to XSX/GamePass.
See? I told you. People want this to be true even after being denied by the development director. The mental gymnastics used to prove a point are really funny.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Netflix and Shill
Feb 11, 2019

One game or a 10-year project destiny clone. If they haven't earmarked $500b+ for years to come, good luck on it working out.

Not sure what is so crazy about the number, for one game yes, for a series of games... not at all... see Destiny.

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006

It would not surprise me if Halo Infinite will have several hundred million in marketing although part of that will be tied to XSX/GamePass.

Last edited:

laser_printer

Dec 10, 2019
Sactown

That was also a highly detailed open world game with 30 hour campaign, 50 hours of side content and online mode that even before all the updates was content jam packed.

Halo Inifite is going to be a linear FPS.

Sycomunkee

Jan 21, 2019
That was also a highly detailed open world game with 30 hour campaign, 50 hours of side content and online mode that even before all the updates was content jam packed.

Brand new engine that highlights scope and scale and you think that it will still be linear. Well Ok then.

Reactions: MDSLKTR

Lady Bernkastel

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018

Halo has't been remotely open since the original or ODST. I seriously doubt we're getting anything more than wider, prettier but still linear A-to-B levels.
Its definitely not linear. Its supposed to be like the original Halo CE(even more open than that). The whole game takes place inside Installation 07.

Sycomunkee

Jan 21, 2019
Halo has't been remotely open since the original or ODST. I seriously doubt we're getting anything more than wider, prettier but still linear A-to-B levels.
While true, I doubt they will continue with that formula. This game has taken too long to develop.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2007
Brighton, UK
$500 million huh?

I'd be super depressed reading about this if I was a dev working on the game, because my salaries going to be something like 0.02% of that...

Which makes this even more weird because if you assume an average salary of like $100k then you're basically saying 1000x are working on this for 5 years...

Either that or somebody at the top is going to be creaming like mental...

---

On an entirely separate note;

The irony here is by the time this game comes out Star Citizen would have eclipsed this record for most expensive game ever made in terms of dev budget (& that f***er still won't be out yet...)

Last edited:

Lady Bernkastel

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
$500 million huh?

I'd be super depressed reading about this if I was a dev working on the game, because my salaries going to be something like 0.02% of that...

Which makes this even more weird because if you assume an average salary of like $100k then you're basically saying 1000x are working on this for 5 years...

Either that or somebody at the top is going to be creaming like mental...

---

On an entirely separate note;

The irony here is by the time this game comes out Star Citizen would have eclipsed this record for most expensive game ever made in terms of dev budget (& that f***er still won't be out yet...)
Read the thread. 500 million figure has been rebuked by Frankie.

Last edited:

laser_printer

Dec 10, 2019
Sactown
There are so many things wrong in your projection. Then again thats kind of reply you get for drive by template post trolling.

If this is your best attempt, then dont expect me to put an effort to my replies.
No much of a project as much as an inference "Atleast its not a movie sold in a Playstation game disc." is something that's been spewed for years since Uncharted was released because of the perceived lack of interaction with their titles which I use to think till I actually played those games. Either way, if first party titles like this keep coming from Sony like Infamous, Horizon, Bloodborne (Best souls games), God of War, The Last of Us, Days Gone, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Detroit, Persona and Spider-Man I'll keep buying them. I sold my X1 Day One edition after Infamous Second Son came out because the cancellations of all the interesting projects were coming out, Titanfall died and the signs were there that it was going to be another round of Gears, Forza, Halo that we established on the 360.

I don't expect much from these studio purchases except Gamepass fodder. I'll happily admit I'm wrong, though if they get back to actually publishing good games like we got for the entirety of original Xbox and the first 3 years of the 360.

Last edited:

Lady Bernkastel

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
No much of a project as much as an inference "Atleast its not a movie sold in a Playstation game disc." is something that's been spewed for years since Uncharted was released because of the perceived lack of interaction with their titles which I use to think till I actually played those games. Either way, if first party titles like this keep coming from Sony like Infamous, Horizon, Bloodborne (Best souls games), God of War, The Last of Us, Days Gone, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Detroit, Persona and Spider-Man I'll keep buying them. I sold my X1 Day One edition after Infamous Second Son came out because the cancellations of all the interesting projects were coming out, Titanfall died and the signs were there that it was going to be another round of Gears, Forza, Halo that we established on the 360.

I don't expect much from these studio purchases except Gamepass fodder. I'll happily admit I'm wrong, though if they get back to actually publishing good games like we got for the entirety of original Xbox and the first 3 years of the 360.
I actually liked Uncharted 4. My post was more aimed towards the recent attempts like Day Gone and Death Stranding.
What do you mean by Game Pass fodder? GTA V and Witcher 3 are also on game pass. Game Pass decreasing the quality of games is the worst console war narrative I have heard(then again I dont expect much from the low quality bait posts these days). Lets be honest, all Sony studios are just copying the Naughty Dog formula. Most studios like Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games, Bend and Sucker Punch were like 'these' studios or even worse before acquisition from Sony and grown into what they are today, no one wants to see(most to be exact) Sony/Microsoft acquire CDPR/4A Games and lock their games to a single platform, on the other hand you wont see Hellblade 2/Playground Games RPG project/Obsidian next project/whatver InXile is doing if Microsoft had not acquired them. I see Microsoft current first projects to be more diverse and unique then what Sony is doing(most of them have already proved themselves as really excellent devs before acquisition).
Dont make me waste my time replying to your cheap bait posts.