• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite is the currently biggest project in the gaming industry (Update: Reported False by Frank O'Coner)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Update:
The rumour was originally made up by Xbox Dynasty
It was debunked by Frankie in ResetEra
And subsequently the relevant ResetEra thread was closed

It is crazy when people stick to a rumour from a site with no credibility even when denied by the franchise director himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimiNutz

Banned
Although money spent on development does not always equate to quality, if the rumour is true, then I'm glad to hear that MS are making an effort to return Halo to its former glory.

Chief really is the MS equivalent of Mario/Sonic and a new mainline Halo game should always be a big deal. Please don't mistreat your mascot as Sega did with Sonic.

Mattyp

Gold Member
So does this mean MTX are gonna be a given?

That’s a shitload of money.

Doubtful, they have actually gone to the effort of removing them in the last few Forzas.

I can believe it will have the biggest gaming budget in history, Not sure about $500 million but. I want just the insane advertising of the glory days back but. The old Halo games had the best marketing and ad spots for any game to date.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
giphy.gif

Man this game better deliver.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Destiny also was having a huge budget. And it didn't end up well.
I hope they do better with Halo.
Destiny had that budget planned for the entire 10 year franchise plan including marketing. This supposedly has it right now for just the development of this one game.

That is absolutely bonkers. MS could have bought several developers but they are spending it all on Halo.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Yeah, look at Destiny and their "10 year plan" also with a huge budget. In the end, it all means nothing if you don't have a clear vision and a plan of what you want to make and how you want to do it.

I mean, the first ME Trilogy was really well made if you forget about the last hour or so of the last game. It was clready made as a trilogy, written really well and really well made and that's cuz they had a plan and a clear vision of what they wanted to make right from the start.

So, if you don't have any of this along with really good and talented team, simply no amount of money in the world can help you make a good game. And by looking at how bad HALO 5 was... I don't know, I don't see how they can make a good HALO game even with these 500 million... unless by some miracle 343 already have everything I've mentioned above.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
i dunno what to think of infinite, but i can tell you now being so secretive about it in this age isn't very smart

not releasing whatever the multiplayer is now and iterating on it isn't very smart

especially considering 343 kinda sucks

Last edited:
Destiny had that budget planned for the entire 10 year franchise plan including marketing. This supposedly has it right now for just the development of this one game.

That is absolutely bonkers. MS could have bought several developers but they are spending it all on Halo.
they did buy out several developers

Diddy X

That's a shitload of money indeed but compare that to movie budgets... and videogames make more money than movies so it would make sense, also this is an inter-generation game most likely, I expect next-gen games to have similar budgets and even higher eventually.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Holy shit if this is true!!! HALO IS NEVER DEAD! Can’t wait for infinite with the new Xbox

Ar¢tos

How is it even possible to spend 500m just in development cost on a 4-5 year game production?
Are they sub-hiring every studio on the planet for asset creation?
Are they using an expensive wedding catering company daily to feed the devs?
It's just... Way too much money.
If it included marketing, then it would be OK.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
How is it even possible to spend 500m just in development cost on a 4-5 year game production?
Are they sub-hiring every studio on the planet for asset creation?
Are they using an expensive wedding catering company daily to feed the devs?
It's just... Way too much money.
If it included marketing, then it would be OK.

Maybe half of it is for marketing or they are making some live show or some shit.

They are betting on the wrong horse if true, Halo series is not what it used to be.

Diddy X

That’s twice the budget of the biggest Marvel films.

Not really, Age of Ultron (2015) budget was 330 millions, Avatar (2009) 425 millions, which is the biggest movie budget to date.

Now ten years later a videogame finally surpasses it, which may sound odd as videogames industry revenues account higher than video or music or even both combined in some countries, having GTA V as the biggest money-maker piece of media in history.

ZehDon

Gold Member
You don't need to spend $500 million to have a better story and Chief focused campaign... I hope they've learned the right lessons from Halo 5.

If they're building something of incredible scope, perhaps several games worth of content - ok, whoa, ballsy move. But if we're just going to get an eight hour campaign and 9 multiplayer maps... its a colossal mismanagement of resources.

Ar¢tos

If that figure is accurate, the game is already doomed.
Yeah, add marketing and then try to figure out how many copies it would have to sell to just break even.
Every single xbox owner would have to buy one and the profit would come from the pc users.

Diddy X

You don't need to spend $500 million to have a better story and Chief focused campaign... I hope they've learned the right lessons from Halo 5.

If they're building something of incredible scope, perhaps several games worth of content - ok, whoa, ballsy move. But if we're just going to get an eight hour campaign and 9 multiplayer maps... its a colossal mismanagement of resources.

They are not gonna dissapoint this time around, don't ask why or how, I just feel it :messenger_confused:

Chiggs

Yeah, add marketing and then try to figure out how many copies it would have to sell to just break even.
Every single xbox owner would have to buy one and the profit would come from the pc users.

And it’s not like there is some sort of fever pitch for this franchise. It’s going to be a tough sell

Zannegan

Well, its name is Halo: Infinite rather than 6. I think it might be a sidestep from the usual Halo formula of campaign + multiplayer. What that will look like, it's hard to say: an MMO? A modern MAG-like? 1000-player Battle-Royale? Who knows, and clearly this is just speculation on my part. Still, it sure feels like *something* is up.

All that to say that I'm glad they are working hard/spending big to try to return Halo to its pedestal. The start of a gen is the right time to do it, IMO. Good luck to them.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
And it’s not like there is some sort of fever pitch for this franchise. It’s going to be a tough sell
Yeah, it’s niche. Selling a Halo game to any consumer is going to be a hard sell. Since they release with little critical acclaim and minimal fanfare.

Perhaps MS should give up on it and focus on the games that really matter to them.

Chiggs

Yeah, it’s niche. Selling a Halo game to any consumer is going to be a hard sell. Since they release with little critical acclaim and minimal fanfare.

Perhaps MS should give up on it and focus on the games that really matter to them.

I think they should use the money on their newly-acquired studios who are creating new IP.

Halo is tarnished, and 343 doesn’t have the goods to recapture the magic.

Kagey K

Banned
I think they should use the money on their newly-acquired studios who are creating new IP.

Halo is tarnished, and 343 doesn’t have the goods to recapture the magic.
So just to clarify, you think they should drop Halo as a whole and invest it in new unproven IPs?

Can you imagine if Phil went into a boardroom and said “No More Halo.” We want to do a sequel to We Happy Few instead.

Plus if they dropped the Halo IP the MCC wouldn’t be coming to PC, because that costs money also.

I think they see the bigger picture and until the game comes out we get to all sit back and analyze it with no investment.

If it was your money invested I’m sure you would not be calling for them to quit making games in one of the biggest franchises of all time.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Holy cow. With such budget the game must be aspiring to be 3rd godsend after HL2 and Crysis. Which is hard to believe considering H5.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Holy cow. With such budget the game must be aspiring to be 3rd godsend after HL2 and Crysis. Which is hard to believe considering H5.
they've said many times they are learning from Halo 5. i think they really want to take their time and get this right. it could actually turn out amazing but we'll see...

Top Bottom