• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite is the currently biggest project in the gaming industry (Update: Reported False by Frank O'Coner)

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I seriously doubt that Halo Infinite is costing them $500M to develop. Maybe if you include the new game engine that they developed for the game but even then, it's highly unlikely. Regardless, looking forward to it being a launch title for Xbox 4 in November 2020.

SaucyJack

Not really, Age of Ultron (2015) budget was 330 millions, Avatar (2009) 425 millions, which is the biggest movie budget to date.

Now ten years later a videogame finally surpasses it, which may sound odd as videogames industry revenues account higher than video or music or even both combined in some countries, having GTA V as the biggest money-maker piece of media in history.

That’s not production costs though.

Avatar production cost was $235 million with another $150 million of promotional costs on top.

$500 million for a video game is insane, break even point would be in the 10s of millions of units that only a few multi-platform titles achieve.

ultrazilla

The high budget must also include 343i developing a brand new engine. I bet that took a chunk of the budget.

This. Crossed my mind when I read this. I'm pretty sure they developed an all new engine from the ground up for the game. That *has* to be costly. I'm excited to see what the engine can do though as you know they were thinking of "next gen machines" when developing it.

That said, cannot wait for the new Halo game!

fermcr

That's way too much money for a single game. With that money Sony or Nintendo could make 5 to 10 AAA exclusive games.

Enjay

Banned
Right. They should just give all to., Ninja Theory and use them as a training company. They obviously have the over the shoulder, tree rendering farm down to a science, since Hellblade looks like every other first party PS game.

Pretty soon we can make sure all games on all systems look the same if MS has invested their money right,
They should also donate some of it to getting you some help. You've quoted everyone here and replied with a stroke. Also there's no way this rumor is true.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

All that matters is that it's good. All the early hype and development time given to Crackdown was for nothing as it's already forgotten.

I dont trust 343 and think Halo sucks after Bungie left, but we'll see.

RAIDEN1

It surprises me that there has been hardly anything about it shown so far....no new trailers, screenshots, nothing...it was Halo that got me onto the Xbox bandwagon...

Halo straight into my veins plz.

Take 343's incredible modernization of the controls & graphics, add a more open world and improved story and I'm there day 1. Shit if it was just a continuation of 5 I'd still be there. Hope Warzone is still in it.

Halo straight into my veins plz.

Take 343's incredible modernization of the controls & graphics, add a more open world and improved story and I'm there day 1. Shit if it was just a continuation of 5 I'd still be there. Hope Warzone is still in it.
Halo 5 looked like shit. I’m a huge Halo fan, but it looked like shit. Halo 4 looked better. Quite frankly, Halo 3 looked the best.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Halo once led the industry in just about every category and I’m with GAF in that a game should require 343’s mechanics and Bungie’s story telling.

stickkidsam

I wish seeing that kind of cash left me hopeful...

I want to believe this game is gonna be legendary, but I haven't seen anything other than a neat teaser with good aesthetics.

I'd like to see that Infinite doesn't require an online connection. Maybe have some confirmation that the customization systems won't be brimming with microtransactions. What about returning game types?

Diddy X

Halo once led the industry in just about every category and I’m with GAF in that a game should require 343’s mechanics and Bungie’s story telling.

That sounds right but didn't MS pretty much hire every important halo person from Bungie already?

There is zero chance the $500 million number is accurate. What the hell are they spending that kind of money on? Maybe over the course of the next 5-10 years or something like that.

Ichabod

Banned
8Q1G1Y9.jpg

Diddy X

That’s not production costs though.

Avatar production cost was $235 million with another $150 million of promotional costs on top.

$500 million for a video game is insane, break even point would be in the 10s of millions of units that only a few multi-platform titles achieve.

Good to know.

I remember Halo 3 surpassing 10 millions like a couple months after launch, don't know about the rest but I guess they are not far away from those numbers.

I repeat, this game is potentially gonna be the best selling Xbox One title, then it's also gonna open next-gen, but also more importantly, the success this game achieves is gonna be the success the entire MS' strategy is gonna achieve, cloud, streaming, AI?, all included, Halo: Infinite is gonna be the central axis of it all. Also, I wouldn't expect another main Halo in another pfff god knows how many years.

Seeing it this way, to me it doesn't sound like an insanely high budget at all.

Last edited:
Good to know.

I remember Halo 3 surpassing 10 millions like a couple months after launch, don't know about the rest but I guess they are not far away from those numbers.

I repeat, this game is potentially gonna be the best selling Xbox One title, then it's also gonna open next-gen, but also more importantly, the success this game achieves is gonna be the success the entire MS' strategy is gonna have, cloud, streaming, AI?, all included, Halo: Infinite is gonna be the central axis of it all.
Halo was never even as popular as Fortnite is right now. Why do you think somehow the franchise is going to reinvigorate itself to somehow be even more popular than it even was, despite having more competition than it ever did?

Edit: jesus my grammar is a mess here but you get what i am saying lol

Last edited:
Well i find it unbelievable. When they will spent $500 mil. on the game and say a $100 mil on marketing....
How the hell will they earn some money on this Halo game?

HOW?? 🤔

Last edited:

Belmonte

So many questions...

What kind of game Halo Infinite will be for them to expect to sell enough copies to make a profit with a $500 million budget? And how this number will compare to the budget of the next gen other games? Will this be the norm for AAA titles on PS5/Xbox Two?!

Diddy X

Halo was never even as popular as Fortnite is right now. Why do you think somehow the franchise is going to reinvigorate itself to somehow be even more popular than it even was, despite having more competition than it ever did?

Nah, it's ok, I haven't replied because I'm really tired, long week :messenger_grinning_sweat: I will save it for tomorrow probably (it's 23:00 here), this is a good topic.

Last edited:

Wimbledon

Good to know.

I repeat, this game is potentially gonna be the best selling Xbox One title, then it's also gonna open next-gen, but also more importantly, the success this game achieves is gonna be the success the entire MS' strategy is gonna achieve, cloud, streaming, AI?, all included, Halo: Infinite is gonna be the central axis of it all. Also, I wouldn't expect another main Halo in another pfff god knows how many years.

I wish i could have this much confidence in 343i , i really want the bolded to be true and hope nothing but success for them.

But then i come back to reality and realize i dropped Halo 4 and Halo 5 within the first week of playing both. I really want to believe in them.

Last edited:
Budget does not automatically equal a good game. Hopefully they churn out something amazing, but Destiny had a huge budget and that wasn't an outstanding game.

I bet that if this is true, more than $100 million is reserved for marketing even if the answer suggests otherwise. I don't see how you'd ever need half a billion in today's climate unless you were making the next big MMO.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Good to know.

First of all I said 10s of millions not 10 million.

Best selling game on XBO is PUBG at 8 million. Halo 5 sold 5 million.

Seeing it this way makes it sound an insanely high budget.

DanielsM

Banned
$500m is the rough ballpark Activision was saying for Destiny, which to me seems low over the course of 3 titles and constant dlc updates, and improvements. If you are copying Destiny, you'll probably need north of $1 billion over 10 years, that all sounds like a lot until you are not selling any other product and have 400-600 families to feed for 7-10 years. There is a reason why most large scale MMO projects go bust. Going to have to sell 10-20m units across multiple platforms and stores to (3 full titles) to break even, and keep selling for many releases to ever see a dime.

Most companies can't manage this... the only thing that kind of saved Bungie is they at least know how to make a good gunplay loop.... there was very little doubt Activision was not happy with Bungie's output performance and ability to hit dead lines. So, Microsoft is copying a business model which is borderline failure with probably a worse development team or more like their history.

Last edited:

demigod

Some of y’all are delusional with your 100s of millions for a game engine.

Should put an update and stop bumping this thread since it was debunked already.

DanielsM

Banned
Some of y’all are delusional with your 100s of millions for a game engine.

Should put an update and stop bumping this thread since it was debunked already.

Whether or not its true, its an internal studio so they don't have to guarantee amounts 3-4 years from now - Microsoft can cut funding anytime they want, its their studio. If they want a Destiny or similar product MMO/MMO-lite, probably looking way beyond $500m over the course of the product, my guess, to keep people interested.... way more.

They are talking a 10 year roadmap.

Last edited:

Diddy X

First of all I said 10s of millions not 10 million.

Best selling game on XBO is PUBG at 8 million. Halo 5 sold 5 million.

Seeing it this way makes it sound an insanely high budget.

I'm not sure if you are trying to correct me there but I could say the very first expression you used is wrong so let's not get so meticulous Lol.

I'm not completely certain but I'd say at this point Halo 3 could be around the 20 million units sold...? Not sure at all.

Long live Halo! On a serious note, that number seems far-fetched. Like others have mentioned, it sounds more reasonable if the budget is for more than one game and is more a financial road map for what MS plans to do with the franchise long-term.

Did you really just say this? You must be young, because Fortnite will never be as big as Halo. Halo has been around for nearly 18 years. Fortnite will fade when the battle royale fad dies. Maybe youre making snap judgements based on halo 5's campaign?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Although, it has already been debunked by a Frankie, but GAF conveniently choses to ignore ut to live their MTX, F2P, Looter Shooter, BR, "insert term that can make a title look hateful" dream (this is like those guys at beamdog forums saying Microsoft bought Obsidian to make a F2P mobile MMO). Now, how does a high budget imply any of these ? They literally talk about the campaign and multiplayer in their livestreams, about different aspects of each Halo that they are trying to create in Halo Infinite like CE's open world levels or Reachs Armor customisations, but hey it's better to live in your own world.

Yoda

If that includes the marketing budget, then it's still shocking, but not unreal. If that is 100% development costs then I'd guess dev hell or MS is desperate to bring Halo back to its glory days.

quickwhips

Why not make an mmo at that point. How is 500 million going to make the game better? I really like halo btw but wtf.

Pallas

Gold Member
Interesting, I imagine the new engine wasn’t cheap to create. Not buying the $500mil rumor though, but I believe it’s not going to be a cheap game to make.

Also a lot of negativity, save it for when they actually show something.

Hope they have more at the end of it than the paltry Alpha/prototype Star Citizen managed with 300 million. Sometimes throwing unlimited money at a project damages it by encouraging scope creep.

Last edited:
Top Bottom