• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite & Its Disappointing Reveal & Overall Graphical Quality

LED Guy?

Banned
OK, we have been waiting for Halo Infinite since 2015 after the release of Halo 5 Guardians, I mean, with all the hype and with all the "Xbox Series X most powerful console" and 343's new "Slip Space" engine and all that, you would think that they're making some of the best graphics and just push the technical boundaries to new heights with their new engine on Halo Infinite, but instead, we got an average looking game, it looks like your average current-generation game.

It is so disappointing to see this trash, all that running on some damn 12 TF RDNA 2.0 LMAO!!

I mean look at this! (I have some of my own Photo-mode shots of The Last of Us Part II and I think it has some of the best graphics I have ever seen in any game to date with the most detailed animations and attention-to-detail ever!)

Also I have one RDR 2 VS Halo Infinite landscape comparison.

LVUCIM7.jpg

UyVUmw1.jpg

08ctZIe.jpg

DkkC7zR.png

elz2X7J.jpg

tM7DXEV.jpg

xkja5BU.jpg

cNDwTye.png

DHp79gQ.png

Xuf6Ntg.png

What the heck is this Microsoft?!

Last edited:
A lot of this seems like a conscious aesthetic/artistic choice. Halo has never opted for photorealism in its graphical approach. There's also the matter of scope - a 4K native open world shooter is not comparable to some cut scene from TLOU2, artistic direction aside.

LED Guy?

Banned
A lot of this seems like a conscious aesthetic/artistic choice. Halo has never opted for photorealism in its graphical approach. There's also the matter of scope - a 4K native open world shooter is not comparable to some cut scene from TLOU2, artistic direction aside.
My man, it’s not artistic choices, look at Ratchet & Clank PS5, it looks mind blowing even with it’s different art style.

Halo Infinite looks like a last gen game compared to RDR 2, TLOU 2, Detroit Become Human, Days Gone, Call of Duty MW 2019 and many others.

Vol5

Please don't defend it. The game shouldn't have been shown.

No shadows under enemies, stuck in the air objects, dreadful LOD, laughable textures, pop-in, terrible and I mean TERRIBLE lighting - That's not an artistic choice, it a plain awful engine that can't handle an openworld setting...And a "free RT" upgrade after launch isn't going to help either.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Put the Crack pipe down. This game has serious technical short comings. Killzone Shadowfall looks more impressive.

HeadsUp7Up

Nah, they didn't show any multiplayer.

Let's wait.
I know. They only showed single player so that’s the only thing people can give feedback on. Nobody is criticizing the unknown multiplayer that was not shown. Single player is a big part of a game for a lot of people and this being their premier franchise carries a lot of expectations from their customers. All the memes are valid.

I just rewatched it to make sure I wasn't being unfairly critical and noticed this.

yJfXMm2.png

Nice skybox. 🙄

That's not even part of the Skybox. All of the landscape on Halos is artificially created with underlying structures that over tens of thousands of years become the landscapes we saw on the rings in Halo 1, 2 and 3.

You can see the entire thing in motion you can make out that it's not part of the skybox. You'll notice a lot of the surrounding cliffs have the same sheer edges. I'm assuming since you re-watched the trailer you also noticed that what you're pointing out in this post is horseshit right?

You can see the same mountain later during the elevator sequence.

6GCivP6.jpg

There are a ton of actual issues with the visuals presented in the trailer, from pop-in, to flat looking textures, to some less than stellar animations. Maybe you should have made a thread about one of those instead of making up new issues.

Last edited:

jakinov

Even if it is from photomode the last of us 2 downgrades and upgrades graphics quality on the fly depending on whats happening in the game. It also severely limits you in order to ensure they can keep the game pretty and extra pretty in other scenes. The game is designed around cutting you off from areas and not letting you do stuff doing a whole lot in the pretty scenes. The characters have at least 3 different character quality levels. They have two cutscenes levels and a gameplay level. This isn’t something naughty dog said, just an observation From when I played the game; as I was trying to get all the trophies and to do it quickly I noticed that depending on if Ellie or Abby are not as pretty looking, that’s how I know whether or not a cutscene is skippable and they kept blocking me from back tracking for no good reason.

The game is ultimately a Xbox One game optimized for Xbox Series X. Using the hardware to do a bunch of new Fancier stuff is not always
a flip of a switch. Else last of Us, god of war 3, breath of wild and gears of war would look close to as good as their sequels on current gen consoles. Halo was originally an Xbox one game that’s now also coming to series x. It’s not a series X game downgraded for Xbox one.

And for a lot of these scenic shots it’s really just a matter of art/aesthetics than lack of power or some kind of issue. I’m sure there scenic screenshots from PS3 days that look better than a lot of scenic scenes from many game’s today.

And for a lot of these scenic shots it’s really just a matter of art/aesthetics than lack of power or some kind of issue. I’m sure there scenic screenshots from PS3 days that look better than a lot of scenic scenes from many game’s today.

Also, people sure have high expectations for a studio and franchise not known for their technical prowess. I don’t expect Halo to be artistically Better or graphically Impressive as other studios I just expect major improvements from the last game. And I think this looks a lot better than Halo 5 which I found to be really ugly.

Hinedorf

Banned
Has Halo changed at all in any capacity since Halo 1? That looks like the same game I played on PC 10+ years ago. I kept thinking to myself watching it......games eventually evolve.....Mario evolved, Sonic evolved, Tomb Raider evolved, EVEN FIGHTING GAMES EVOLVE......

Calling it now, laziest franchise ever.

LED Guy?

Banned
Even if it is from photomode the last of us 2 downgrades and upgrades graphics quality on the fly depending on whats happening in the game. It also severely limits you in order to ensure they can keep the game pretty and extra pretty in other scenes. The game is designed around cutting you off from areas and not letting you do stuff doing a whole lot in the pretty scenes. The characters have at least 3 different character quality levels. They have two cutscenes levels and a gameplay level. This isn’t something naughty dog said, just an observation From when I played the game; as I was trying to get all the trophies and to do it quickly I noticed that depending on if Ellie or Abby are not as pretty looking, that’s how I know whether or not a cutscene is skippable and they kept blocking me from back tracking for no good reason.

The game is ultimately a Xbox One game optimized for Xbox Series X. Using the hardware to do a bunch of new Fancier stuff is not always
a flip of a switch. Else last of Us, god of war 3, breath of wild and gears of war would look close to as good as their sequels on current gen consoles. Halo was originally an Xbox one game that’s now also coming to series x. It’s not a series X game downgraded for Xbox one.

Also, people sure have high expectations for a studio and franchise not known for their technical prowess. I don’t expect Halo to be artistically Better or graphically Impressive as other studios I just expect major improvements from the last game. And I think this looks a lot better than Halo 5 which I found to be really ugly.
Nope, the Photomode in TLOU 2 doesn’t upgrade or downgrade anything, the graphics have the same geometric details, the same models, the same lighting etc etc, even in cutscenes, the cutscenes use the same models and graphics, but they carefully place lights around the characters to flesh them out than you would do in gameplay, because they can’t put lights around models while in gameplay, they can’t predict where you’ll go or land, and sometimes they apply some additive shaders like maybe sweat, blood, water on some of the cutscenes depending on the context and what happens in certain cutscenes, but the models and graphics are the same, when you have full control of a camera, you can make every scene look “correct” all the time.

Last edited:

splattered

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Where's Bonnie hiding?
That's not even part of the Skybox. All of the landscape on Halos is artificially created with underlying structures that over tens of thousands of years become the landscapes we saw on the rings in Halo 1, 2 and 3.

You can see the entire thing in motion you can make out that it's not part of the skybox. You'll notice a lot of the surrounding cliffs have the same sheer edges. I'm assuming since you re-watched the trailer you also noticed that what you're pointing out in this post is horseshit right?

You can see the same mountain later during the elevator sequence.

6GCivP6.jpg

There are a ton of actual issues with the visuals presented in the trailer, from pop-in, to flat looking textures, to some less than stellar animations. Maybe you should have made a thread about one of those instead of making up new issues.

Okay, if it wasn't the skybox then it was simply so low detail that a sheer cliff became a completely vertical line.

Last edited:
Top Bottom