• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite & Its Disappointing Reveal & Overall Graphical Quality

Ok so he's literally saying THE GAME ISN'T FINISHED AND READY TO SHIP.

Just delay this shit guys, jesus.

No one will blame you if we don't get a half assed Halo at launch.

I'd rather play 3rd party exclusives and upgraded BC games until Halo is done cooking... just put the damn thing back in the oven and lets see it again next year.

Yeah if at this stage of development they are saying the had to make the demo rach a certain graphical quality (that they didn't reach in the opnion of most) I don't know how it will be primed for release in a couple of months.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So you expect that in the MP, where usually the graphics are worse, things will be better?

Well, only if I viewed the value of a game in terms of graphics.

But I don't. All I care about is gameplay mechanics, level design, systems etc. So I do think people could be significantly more excited if they wow us with multiplayer.

Graphics talk, frankly, is for the casual crowd.

Aion002

But I don't. All I care about is gameplay mechanics, level design, systems etc. So I do think people could be significantly more excited if they wow us with multiplayer.

But that's the problem.

MS is not trying to sell games as cool things, they are trying to sell as the most powerful thing ever, so the expectations are all on that. The gameplay and everything else can be amazing even on the og Xbox, Halo 1 still holds up quite well.... But, that's not the point of the thread I think....

S0ULZB0URNE

OK, we have been waiting for Halo Infinite since 2015 after the release of Halo 5 Guardians, I mean, with all the hype and with all the "Xbox Series X most powerful console" and 343's new "Slip Space" engine and all that, but then it looked average, it looks like your average current-generation game.

It is so disappointing to see this trash, all that running on some damn 12 TF RDNA 2.0 LMAO!!

I mean look at this! (I have some of my own Photo-mode shots of The Last of Us Part II and I think it has some of the best graphics I have ever seen in any game to date with the most detailed animations and attention-to-detail ever!)

Also I have one RDR 2 VS Halo Infinite landscape comparison.

LVUCIM7.jpg

UyVUmw1.jpg

08ctZIe.jpg

DkkC7zR.png

elz2X7J.jpg

tM7DXEV.jpg

xkja5BU.jpg

cNDwTye.png

DHp79gQ.png

Xuf6Ntg.png

What the heck is this Microsoft?!
It's Microsoft!

LED Guy?

Banned
OK I would like to close this thread, I have created it & I didn't know that there were many other threads disappointed about it. I'll call Mod of War Mod of War to close it.

Last edited:
I posted this in the HaloGAF thread but reposting as these threads seem to be where people are at gaming side -

Where the fuck was the innovation? Where was the new elements of gameplay with the 12TF hardware coming into play?

Now that I remove the graphics reaction where is any of these elements, I'm disappointed about more than just graphics -
  • Zero information about a beta? So this thing launches in what 4 months and still no beta or flighting?
  • Halo ring physics, they clearly went for a damaged, ravaged, altering Halo ring. Why do we not see the geometry animated, moving, set pieces destroying, shifting, materialising like Forerunner parts from H5/weapons.
  • AI, none of these enemies had any tactics at all, straight up easy mode on display? WTF. With the new CPU power we should have seen a gigantic leap in AI, enemies on screen, pathfinding, player predictions etc. Basically there was a little scripting of brutes dropping in, a flying suicide grunt and fuck all AI really. The enemies were really stupid, like marine AI levels of stupid.
  • The polish, the reveal trailers had a level of polish to them that far exceeded what we just saw in gameplay.
  • Ray Tracing, the damned XSX is built and marketed around RT, Halo the flagship new engine and game doesn't even have any RT whatsoever. Really?
  • Where was the focus on Chief? Again they miss the fucking point by focusing on Brohammer and his "character" emoting. Honestly look at the H2 trailer, badass Chief. Look at H3 trailers, badass Chief. They focused on the world and Brohammer, neither were impressive.
  • Stuff like the turret that was hit with the grapple thrown blue plasma battery thing didn't even pop the turret shields, the enemy didn't jump out and flee or reengage nor did the turret take any damage geo wise. Where is that classic Halo feedback?
  • Tires on the warthog didn't take on texture environment changes e.g. no dirt, dust or mud build up on the tires. Further the warthog has no lasting effects on the terrain e.g. handbrake maneuvers didn't mark the ground, they animate and then fully disappear.
EDIT: I went and watched the 4K version instead of the shitty stream, there is marked improvement in textures and atmosphere but nothing that screamed next gen at me TBH. There is some really nice lighting effects and I think that will really showcase only when it's your console real time pushing to your 4K HDR screen in game at home.

I'd rather play 3rd party exclusives and upgraded BC games until Halo is done cooking... just put the damn thing back in the oven and lets see it again next year.
This game needs a year. You are talking about a complete asset overhaul, the models, the textures and the world assets are terrible.

LED Guy?

Banned
... why?this place needs all the topics it can get. leave it open
It's because I just saw like 3 or 4 other threads complaining about its graphics and I saw this thread being redundant.

OK sorry Mod of War Mod of War do not close the thread, it seems like there is a healthy discussion to be had here around the game.

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

When you think next gen there's an expectation to have to be blown away graphically on original Crysis levels of amazement and that's why Halo Infinite was disappointing.
Looks and art wise, there isn't anything there that went "Here's next gen!" that hit the heights of the Watch Dogs reveal. Yet for a game that's supposed to have had millions poured into it and was built from the ground up it just wasn't impressive.

REE Machine

Banned
They need to be criticized so they realize they need to fix it before releasing the game. If they said this was an Alpha Build I would have believed it.
Yeah he said i was trolling but giving the honest truth, this show was a huge let down especially when they said this show would be a mic drop

Phase

To 343,

giphy.gif

Around 2001 I played a lot of arena fps on pc, mainly quake, cs, and tribes. Man those fucking games are amazing. But then this game Halo came out. I saw some gameplay and thought, huh that looks pretty neat. Little did I know what was in store for me. The endless splitscreen matches my friends and I would play throughout the nights years after release. Sidewinder, Damnation, Wizard, Prisoner, Chiron, Hang Em High. I can still walk through every one of these maps in my head with a perfect visual memory of weapon locations and funny deaths during the countless matches played.

The Halo explosion was something surreal. It took ahold of everybody I knew. People that didn't even play games were asking what Halo was all about. The build up increased to an orgasm's peak with the release of Halo 2. Xbox Live + Halo 2 was everything Halo CE was but better and for the first time, online Halo was here. The pregame lobbies, the post game lobbies. Fucking hilarious. People talking shit and getting put in their place going -13 with a breadstick 8 minutes later. Ascension, Lockout, Midship, Ivory Tower, Burial Mounds, Relic, Turf, Zanzibar. The maps were creative, fun, balanced. Button combos separated the men from the boys. Leveling was such a rush in H2. Seeing the progress bar online you could see how close you were to that next level. I put so many hours in Halo 2 I should have a fucking degree in it.

Then, and I mean how can they do it again. Bungie released Halo 3 to the biggest mainstream build up I could've imagined. Everyone knew what Halo was at this point, even if they were the little old lady who sits on her porch all day by the corner store. And they delivered! Another bomb game with thousands of hours invested. Sandtrap, Guardian, The Pit, Cold Storage, Avalanche, Narrows, Construct, Ghost Town. They really outdid themselves again with the maps in H3. Leveling drew me in again. How many new accounts did you make just to level up to 50 again? I can't even remember how many I made. Just for the thrill of it.

Here's where this story takes a not so exciting turn. Reach was released. I initially enjoyed it as many did. Invasion was creative and a great game mode. The maps were pretty good. But the flow of the game felt like it had changed. Despite that feeling, I continued to play because I was having fun. It still felt like Halo to me. But arena was weird. I wanted 1-50. Where was the leveling? Why would I want to play seasons in ranked? Why did the DMR have random bullet deviation? Why was I now focusing on things like this instead of just having fun? Somehow they made fundamental changes that had a big enough impact that I started to notice my enjoyment level decrease. I played less and less Halo but still got on a few times a week to play with friends. Despite its flaws it was still fun.

In 2012 Bungie gave Halo to 343. I was pretty excited. They said all the right things. Despite some of their decisions with Reach I backed them 100%. This was Halo. Halo Reach was a prequel. I couldn't wait to see what they had in store for Halo 4, the true sequel to Halo 3. I preordered Halo 4 and was pumped for its release. Visually it looked awesome. I didn't want to spoil anything so I kept myself in the dark until release. The day I picked up the game and put it in was the day I regretted the purchase. I didn't play the campaign. I went straight to mp. When I joined my first game and had to select a loadout I almost threw up. What was this garbage? Sprint? Damn this map is ugly. Shit, It didn't even sound like Halo... I grew to love arena fps even before Halo, and Halo was the console embodiment of what I loved - with its own flavor. This was not Halo. I sold the game within the week.

I followed Halo with video and in forums throughout H4's life, and held hope for H5 to fix what had been done. They stated time and time again they were listening to their fans and to be ready for what they had in store. The Halo feeling was coming back. Long story short, that didn't happen. 343 in its infinite wisdom decided to continue "their vision" of Halo which underwhelmed me yet again. After playing some matches of H5 at a friends house I knew I didn't care for it. Sounds were weird and mechanical again. The announcer sounded dumb somehow. More sprint? Where's the BR? I was frustrated again, as many were. The Halo they knew and loved was snubbed again for "advanced movement mechanics."

Why I still had a sliver of hope left in me that Halo Infinite would be anything other than mediocre I do not know. Maybe the love of what Halo was still boiled beneath the surface. Maybe the trailer that elicited Halo 3 vibrations into my soul blinded me. But I'm blinded no more. The gameplay today confirmed to me that there is no chance for Halo as it was. There probably was never a chance. 343 successfully put to bed my interest in one of the most important and influential gaming franchises in my life. And after today, Halo is nothing but beautiful memories of what once was.

Fuck, why am I doing this to myself? I'm going back to the meme thread.

Last edited:
Are you guys just assuming this is the most recent build of the game with covid and everything going on who knows how old this build is this might have been the vertical slice they cut for e3 this year. I’m not sure why people are behaving as if this game was designed exclusively for series x. 😂

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Are you guys just assuming this is the most recent build of the game with covid and everything going on who knows how old this build is this might have been the vertical slice they cut for e3 this year. I’m not sure why people are behaving as if this game was designed exclusively for series x. 😂
The game is releasing this holiday, I'd think they'd show the latest build they have running

sendit

"Halo Infinite has been built from the ground up to take full advantage of Xbox Series X. " --Chris Lee (Studio Head)

It looks a whole gen behind what we were promised. WHAT THE FUCK was this video?

A lie. I think that's what the game would have looked like if they didn't have to scale back all they way down to Xbox One.

It looks fine for a 60 fps open world game on Xbox One. But I obviously wasn’t alone in expecting next-genish visuals. I was also hoping for a more story focused game in the vein of Sony’s major franchises and some more modern looking gameplay.

But Halo 3 is great so if this is more of the same then I’ll take it.

aerts1js

343 don't delay games, look at anniversary's launch. The studio sucks.

Dabaus

Banned
It genuinely looks like 360 game to me. I know I troll Xbox a lot and I’m not hiding that but that’s my genuine impression. Like I get it’s 60 FPS and that’s good. For context what was halo 3 and reach frames per second on the 360? 30?

Reindeer

A lie. I think that's what the game would have looked like if they didn't have to scale back all they way down to Xbox One.
If you look at the end of the trailer where Chief is driving then you can clearly see it's far less impressive than the rest of that trailer and I remember being concerned by that when I watched it for the first time.

RaptorGTA

It looks a whole gen behind what we were promised. WHAT THE FUCK was this video?

I love Halo..but this video is a joke. We talk about Ubisoft and their downgrades but Jesus....Halo's big pull was its gameplay..but visually this game looks like any other title. This doesn't look next gen.

I wanted to throw money at Microsoft and Halo..but I don't see anything to pull me in.

Reindeer

It genuinely looks like 360 game to me. I know I troll Xbox a lot and I’m not hiding that but that’s my genuine impression. Like I get it’s 60 FPS and that’s good. For context what was halo 3 and reach frames per second on the 360? 30?
Halo ran at 30fps on 360. There are some parts that look like they were taken straight from 360 (facial animations and detail), but overall it looks like any other current gen game. I thought it would look like this on current gen Xbox and look way much sharper on PC and Series X, but boy was I wrong.

Hezekiah

Banned

It looks rough and a little uninspired, but it will be a PR disaster if they delay Halo. What will they sell XSX on, Forza?

jakinov

Nope, the Photomode in TLOU 2 doesn’t upgrade or downgrade anything, the graphics have the same geometric details, the same models, the same lighting etc etc, even in cutscenes, the cutscenes use the same models and graphics, but they carefully place lights around the characters to flesh them out than you would do in gameplay, because they can’t put lights around models while in gameplay, they can’t predict where you’ll go or land, and sometimes they apply some additive shaders like maybe sweat, blood, water on some of the cutscenes depending on the context and what happens in certain cutscenes, but the models and graphics are the same, when you have full control of a camera, you can make every scene look “correct” all the time.
Not saying photo mode increasing the quality. You can run photomode any time but I’m talking about how if you were to go into the actually gameplay and compare the quality of the characters versus when it’s a cutscenes running extra effects to make the characters look extra pretty and detailed. The models are the same but as you say their ability to predict where you are becomes harder so they can’t focus on making exactly what you are looking at super pretty with lighting and what not and as you play they have to worry about doing a bunch of other shit too that they can’t waste resources on every scene to be gorgeous. My point is most games look significantly crappier during gameplay if you go and zoom in on things they deliberately downgrade and it’s not a great comparison to compare one games worse situation with another game’s best that was so nice that you decided to screenshot. The last of us 2 worst still looks better than most if not all games IMO and I never expected 343 to outdo Naughty Dog from an artistic POV but I just don’t think it’s a fair comparison. Even if Last of Us 2 wins either way.

343 don't delay games, look at anniversary's launch. The studio sucks.
Yeah, more and more I think they are to big. Sometimes having these huge budgets and throwing money at it doesn’t work. Like why are the assets so bad? Those models are atrocious and the world looks like ark meets Minecraft.

REE Machine

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn at E3 which was still 2 years out looked better than a game launching in 4 months

ok fellas you have to understand.

halo was made for current system, i think somewhere down the line microsoft decided to hold it off for series X, it wouldv been smart only if it was on xbox series X though, i feel like they dropped the ball with this shit and 343 wtf have you been doing?

bullshit aside, this game will move consoles, no matter what, it has strong fan base but seriously.....this shouldv been SX exclusive

Phase

Yeah, more and more I think they are to big. Sometimes having these huge budgets and throwing money at it doesn’t work. Like why are the assets so bad? Those models are atrocious and the world looks like ark meets Minecraft.
It almost makes me believe the leaks about horrendous employee turnover, the battle over the direction of the game, and that they really didn't have much before the release of the trailer.

J4K

I really don't think the visuals here are bad at all. People seem to be griping about art design more than the actual tech here. This to me is some reasonably impressive 4K60. Comparisons with Red Dead 2 don't even make sense. "Here's a guy standing on a cliff in a 30 FPS game. Here's another guy standing on a cliff. So that's an Apples to Apples comparison, right?"

The one egregious sin here that is bothering me is the obvious grass pop in and the visible LOD transitions at multiple points. Anyone trying to say the PS5 IO advantage doesn't matter needs to be watching that warthog drive and all the LODs very obviously changing and the grass visibly appearing in right in front of the camera. I sincerely hope that's just a result of this game not yet being done, and not something we're going to be living with on Series X merely as a result of their architecture choices.

Last edited:
ok fellas you have to understand.

halo was made for current system, i think somewhere down the line microsoft decided to hold it off for series X, it wouldv been smart only if it was on xbox series X though, i feel like they dropped the ball with this shit and 343 wtf have you been doing?

bullshit aside, this game will move consoles, no matter what, it has strong fan base but seriously.....this shouldv been SX exclusive
Won’t move the XsX, isn’t that the point. I’d bet my 1060 can run this game at decent settings, the textures are terrible and those are some low poly models.

Neolombax

I wasn't all that disappointed, but then again I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

I think it looks good enough, not everything needs to be some limit pushing gate crashing spectacle.

If it plays well and has a satisfying campaign it doesn't need to be the best looker.

Of course this will be the case. It looks like a fun sandbox to play in. But again, the selling point of the XSX over the PS5 at this point is the superior hardware, 12 TFlops n all that jazz. It doesn't need to be the best looker yes, but it sure is expected to be. This is MS' flagship game after all.

Grinchy

Banned
Those mountains and cliffs that are just gray hexagonal prisms copy&pasted over and over again remind me of something you could make in the Dreams creator in 30 seconds.

Call that an art style if you want, but to me it just looks like a last-minute rush job in a heavily troubled development.

It's like when you're in school and your project is due tomorrow and you're just starting and are shocked that you put something together that at least looks like it kinda belongs, but to everyone else, it looks like you just started the day before and barely got done before getting 3 hours of sleep for school.

sendit

Of course this will be the case. It looks like a fun sandbox to play in. But again, the selling point of the XSX over the PS5 at this point is the superior hardware, 12 TFlops n all that jazz. It doesn't need to be the best looker yes, but it sure is expected to be. This is MS' flagship game after all.

This is the biggest take away here. They advertise the worlds most powerful console. They better have games that completely crush the competition graphically.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Sure, but as a next gen carrot?

Doncabesa

It was a nearly 7 month old build, the 1 minute long gameplay trailer showcased better lighting/textures as well. Game should look fine by release, people aren't used to seeing real demos of in-work games. There is a reason companies have to fake things so often in "gameplay" demos, optimization is always the last thing to hit.

Top Bottom