• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite & Its Disappointing Reveal & Overall Graphical Quality

Phase

MS right now

7fJc.gif
giphy.gif

I really don't think the visuals here are bad at all. People seem to be griping about art design more than the actual tech here. This to me is some reasonably impressive 4K60. Comparisons with Red Dead 2 don't even make sense. "Here's a guy standing on a cliff in a 30 FPS game. Here's another guy standing on a cliff. So that's an Apples to Apples comparison, right?"

The one egregious sin here that is bothering me is the obvious grass pop in and the visible LOD transitions at multiple points. Anyone trying to say the PS5 IO advantage doesn't matter needs to be watching that warthog drive and all the LODs very obviously changing and the grass visibly appearing in right in front of the camera. I sincerely hope that's just a result of this game not yet being done, and not something we're going to be living with on Series X merely as a result of their architecture choices.
The point is that initial video in 2018 is such an egregious lie that we have to wonder what happened. See if they didn’t lie, they don’t owe us anything but when you lie...

Ozzie666

The problem is, once again, the mouth pieces over hyped the show. They talked up the absolute power of the console to death star levels of destruction. With that, comes expectations.

Halo, outside of hardcore fans, failed to meet expectations. The game play looked okay, music was nice, change in the design maybe welcomed. But over the graphics were disappointing to be sure, consider the hype, the flagship title and length of development. If Microsoft had been preaching game play, like Nintendo does, it wouldn't matter. But they preached power and performance. Halo at times looked far worse than Last of Us 2 or Ghosts. Halo was on par or worse than the latest Gears. It was a terrible show piece for shock and awe. So calling it underwhelming or disappointing is pretty fair, completely disaster, maybe not.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So i have had enough time to see the gameplay multiple times without reading opinion online. And yes definitely underwhelming. I love the gameplay and story seems interesting but it just looks off. I am not sure what i was expecting but for 3 years we been hearing from MS themselves that this is the most powerful console, 2 years ago we saw the slipspace engine demo, they obviously set themselves up for very high standards and then they showing this. the world just felt so empty, and shooting grunts felt like i am watching a splatoon gameplay. So much juicy colorful wtf guys. MS gives you a blank check and this is what you produced in last 5 years?

I am truly disappointed

Why I still had a sliver of hope left in me that Halo Infinite would be anything other than mediocre I do not know. Maybe the love of what Halo was still boiled beneath the surface. Maybe the trailer that elicited Halo 3 vibrations into my soul blinded me. But I'm blinded no more. The gameplay today confirmed to me that there is no chance for Halo as it was. There probably was never a chance. 343 successfully put to bed my interest in one of the most important and influential gaming franchises in my life. And after today, Halo is nothing but beautiful memories of what once was.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

J4K

The point is that initial video in 2018 is such an egregious lie that we have to wonder what happened. See if they didn’t lie, they don’t owe us anything but when you lie...

They just showed us an interior shot in 2018 right? Not sure how you can extrapolate the inside of the cockpit to a massive open world environment and then make the bold statement that they lied.

You're comparing a highly edited, post-processed Photo Mode shot versus alpha footage.

The game looks fine as is, just think of how it'll look by launch. Obviously there are more things this engine can do in the future and it's held back by Xbox One but I really like how it looks from an aesthetic standpoint. No more bad textures that make the game look unnaturally cartoony, compared to 5 it's a big step up.

OP is biased. Anybody can take the worse looking sections of a game and compare them to games on their favorite platform, and the funny thing is is that TLOU2 doesn't look nearly as good during daytime... and those games are 30FPS, this game is 60FPS.

I liked the graphics, but it's nothing new, nothing to go wow over. Just a slicker version of something that impressed me in 2002, but doesn't now. They've built a billion dollar developer to just recreate what bungie did 20 years ago.
Bungie has never made an open world game before and all of their games have been 30FPS last I checked. 343's engine is much more advanced and it'll only get better from here. Gameplay-wise it's typical Halo but this is what the fanbase wanted, less linearity.

I have some worries though, like progression or the lack thereof.

My man, it’s not artistic choices, look at Ratchet & Clank PS5, it looks mind blowing even with it’s different art style.

Halo Infinite looks like a last gen game compared to RDR 2, TLOU 2, Detroit Become Human, Days Gone, Call of Duty MW 2019 and many others.
Last gen? That's just trolling at this point.

None of the true gameplay videos of next gen have been impressive.

I'm starting to wonder if we are being lied to about the capabilities of these machines.....
You can't be serious, RT is going to be a game changer, just look at Bright Memory for example. And I thought we couldn't get much better than PBR and GI but games are going to look absolutely mindblowing, I can't wait. Even the cleanliness of this game made me pretty surprised, personally.

Ok so he's literally saying THE GAME ISN'T FINISHED AND READY TO SHIP.

Just delay this shit guys, jesus.

No one will blame you if we don't get a half assed Halo at launch.

I'd rather play 3rd party exclusives and upgraded BC games until Halo is done cooking... just put the damn thing back in the oven and lets see it again next year.
🤦‍♂

There hasn't been a Halo launch title in a long time, it's held back because of Xbox One but it makes sense, the gameplay itself doesn't look unfinished.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Has Halo changed at all in any capacity since Halo 1? That looks like the same game I played on PC 10+ years ago. I kept thinking to myself watching it......games eventually evolve.....Mario evolved, Sonic evolved, Tomb Raider evolved, EVEN FIGHTING GAMES EVOLVE......

Calling it now, laziest franchise ever.
I am a « light halo fan » because the halo community is like the Star Wars one.
Remember the drama for episode 1/2/3?
They are fundamentalists.
They Know better.
So i think MS tried to go back to halo 1 in some extent and at the same time tried to appeal to a wider audience.
What could go wrong ?

LED Guy?

Banned
You're comparing a highly edited, post-processed Photo Mode shot versus alpha footage.

The game looks fine as is, just think of how it'll look by launch. Obviously there are more things this engine can do in the future and it's held back by Xbox One but I really like how it looks from an aesthetic standpoint. No more bad textures that make the game look unnaturally cartoony, compared to 5 it's a big step up.

OP is biased. Anybody can take the worse looking sections of a game and compare them to games on their favorite platform, and the funny thing is is that TLOU2 doesn't look nearly as good during daytime... and those games are 30FPS, this game is 60FPS.

Bungie has never made an open world game before and all of their games have been 30FPS last I checked. 343's engine is much more advanced and it'll only get better from here. Gameplay-wise it's typical Halo but this is what the fanbase wanted, less linearity.

I have some worries though, like progression or the lack thereof.

Last gen? That's just trolling at this point.

You can't be serious, RT is going to be a game changer, just look at Bright Memory for example. And I thought we couldn't get much better than PBR and GI but games are going to look absolutely mindblowing, I can't wait. Even the cleanliness of this game made me pretty surprised, personally.

🤦‍♂️

There hasn't been a Halo launch title in a long time, it's held back because of Xbox One but it makes sense, the gameplay itself doesn't look unfinished.
Bro, stop defending...😂😂😂

The game looks bad, there's no 2 ways around it, and it is running on a fucking Xbox Series X (or a PC or whatever because they just confirmed it wasn't running on Xbox Series X).

RDR 2, TLOU 2, Doom Eternal, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Spider Man, The Division 2, Gears 5, Detroit Become Human, The Order 1886, Uncharted 4, God of War 2018, Horizon Zero Dawn, Call of Duty MW 2019, Battlefield V and many more DESTROY Halo Infinite graphically!! It's not even funny.

Fucking Killzone Shadow Fall, a launch title for a 2013 console makes Halo Infinite on Xbox Series X look like a last-generation game.

Last edited:

Goujen87

Neo Member
I’m a massive Halo fan, I was so excited for this day and then 343i goes out and shows us this....5 years in the making, it looks like they forgot to switch on the graphics and detail. The game looks like a CGI Mega Blocks game crosses with Minecraft.
Oh Well the only positive for me today was the announcement of Fable.

aries_71

All this initial negativity is going to cost them dearly. Probably just a bad demo on a green build, but they set the stage for a 75-79 metacritic score.

gow3isben

Is this shit going to be open world? When will these stupid developers stop with that bullshit. Stop making every linear game open world damn it. This idiot studio probably spent all its budget on a barren, empty ass open world just to be part of the cool kids. And this is the result.

Last edited:
One half of me -
You know what...fuck it...go the Boss Key route. Drop this and just bang out a Halo Battel Royale. At least in 1-2 years of GaaS we know where it will be. Fuck I knew 5 years of development was a stupid fucking idea.

Other half of me -
It will get better, they'll be great Halo moments in there. Think of Halo CE > Halo mission, yes that but open world...ok.

Back of my brain -
Where the fuck is the Destiny type PvE content.

Wasn't the rumor that it's going to run at 4k120fps? (Maybe with some kind of checkboard recreation) I definitely read/saw youtube speculation about that. It's confirmed the Alpha is running in 4k60fps though? Did anyone see a single frame drop? Maybe they're working with a ton of overhead and they'll introduce a high framerate option in the final build. Here's wishful thinking.

Because yeah, that doesn't look like something a console 2.5-3x more powerful than what we have now could do, cross-gen accommodations or not. And this is coming from a longtime, barely lapsed Halo fan.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
I had my butt cheeks clinched prepared to be wowed. Somewhere in the middle of that ogre's five minute speech with the camera up his nose I said, wtf is this shit I'm watching?
Yeah exactly, that was my reaction, I was saying "what the fuck am I looking at?!" 🤣💀

TJC

The problem is, once again, the mouth pieces over hyped the show. They talked up the absolute power of the console to death star levels of destruction. With that, comes expectations.

Halo, outside of hardcore fans, failed to meet expectations. The game play looked okay, music was nice, change in the design maybe welcomed. But over the graphics were disappointing to be sure, consider the hype, the flagship title and length of development. If Microsoft had been preaching game play, like Nintendo does, it wouldn't matter. But they preached power and performance. Halo at times looked far worse than Last of Us 2 or Ghosts. Halo was on par or worse than the latest Gears. It was a terrible show piece for shock and awe. So calling it underwhelming or disappointing is pretty fair, completely disaster, maybe not.
Xbox hardcore fan boys are the reason that Xbox don't move forward. They damage control everything and never complain man. Timdog saying he's blown away..? Really? Cmon man expect better. Sony have spoiled us man.

Horizon Zero Dawn at E3 which was still 2 years out looked better than a game launching in 4 months
Sony fans think every Sony game looks better then every other game ever. That’s the issue here. The last of us two looks better then this and that keep in mind it’s a game with fewer npcs not open worlds not full 4K and definitely not 60 fps. People blindly make these comparisons like it’s apples to apples when it’s not it’s not like the games are built 1-1.

Know what. After watching the trailer a few times - I think it's actually fine. Certain things that I had MAJOR issues with like those pillars and the character model of the brute talking at the end - actually are not as bad as I originally thought. The Brute, they for some reason designed it in such a way that kinda makes it seem like the graphics are worse than they are with the pointy head and weird wrinkles on the forehead that look like super low resolution bump mapping or something - but clearly the engine is capable of more than that by looking at other characters so whatever. And after looking at the map screen awhile I see that those pillars aren't everywhere and clearly meant to be mechanical looking - so I get that.

I don't think the look of the game will change much. The things I think NEED to be fixed are the hardcore pop in stuff and that dumbasss shield effect. Other than that though this actually looks like it'll be a blast to play through with my friends in my house. I'd rather be able to do that than it look super cutting edge. They really shouldn't have hyped this up as THE xbox series x game - but I'm sold on the gameplay concept (which is what I've always wanted from halo - and if they weren't gonna do open I would have skipped).

You know what? We should all be happy this is on game pass, means we can sub for a month and if the game isn't good enough we just spent 10$ max.

I am a « light halo fan » because the halo community is like the Star Wars one.
Remember the drama for episode 1/2/3?
They are fundamentalists.
They Know better.
So i think MS tried to go back to halo 1 in some extent and at the same time tried to appeal to a wider audience.
What could go wrong ?
looks a hell of a lot better to me than 4 and 5

leo-j

I think Microsoft is more interested in game pass than their console tbh. I might do it for $1 tbh, but I need games to invest that much money.

Reallink

Most disappointing is it's supposedly the most expensive videogame of all time with a 500 Million dollars development budget. 343 laughing all the way to the bank. They must have paid an army of student artists, programmers, and designers hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to make trash and sit on their asses for 5 years.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
IMHO, if all this event games are given for $60, two copies each (disc+digital), I might really ask for a refund shortly after.

Last edited:

oldergamer

People are forgetting this demo showed the game unfinished. It didnt have hdr yet. It supports 2 and 4 player split screen at 60fps. Also the demo should have shown it with ray tracing and multiplayer.

Anyway it didn't show off the graphical capabilities like it should have, but there is time to improve from when the video was cut.

Inviusx

Im a Playstation guy but I was still bummed out by the Halo thing. I just want to see some next level shit regardless of platform.

Only truly next gen thing I think I've had any reaction to was Horizon 2.

LED Guy?

Banned
and now i think this was running on a 14+ tflops pc gpu ?
Nah I think it was because of a development hell that happened with the game, now we're hearing some stuff about how they couldn't even get this gameplay that we just saw to run on Xbox Series X, I mean, we have games this generation that look as good as that E3 2018 engine trailer.

Also Horizon Forbidden west, the new Spider Man for PS5 and that Unreal 5 demo DESTROY these Halo Infinite 2018 graphics!!

Top Bottom