• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite & Its Disappointing Reveal & Overall Graphical Quality

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yes, diehard Sony fans love to shit on MS fans. It's everywhere on the internet. But I guess that's console wars for ya

It's the same with Xbox fans shitting so hard all these months on Sony fans when XSX announced 12TF. So it's fair play, I guess. And I think that event doesn't pull any praise from xbox fans to begin with.

Last edited:
It's the same with Xbox fans shitting so hard all these months when XSX announced 12TF. So it's fair play, I guess. And I think that event doesn't pull any praise from xbox fans to begin with.
Never argued that. Just pointing out the toxic nature of these forums sometimes.

JTCx

People are forgetting this demo showed the game unfinished. It didnt have hdr yet. It supports 2 and 4 player split screen at 60fps. Also the demo should have shown it with ray tracing and multiplayer.

Anyway it didn't show off the graphical capabilities like it should have, but there is time to improve from when the video was cut.
You right, they forgot to turn on the settings on the advanced tab for the 'good graphics' button.

2AA.jpg

1AA.jpg

Look at the level of detail in the backgrounds...it's shocking.

lekain

Neo Member
I closed the tab halfway watching. It honestly looks like Halo on 360, maybe on higher resolution textures that's all

GooseMan69

I don’t get MS. They have the most powerful console. They could have went dick out and made Halo Infinite a crazy next gen only title with the most jaw dropping visuals ever seen on consoles. Instead we get this cross gen mut that looks significantly worse than TLOU II and Red Dead.

I don’t get MS. They have the most powerful console. They could have went dick out and made Halo Infinite a crazy next gen only title with the most jaw dropping visuals ever seen on consoles. Instead we get this cross gen mut that looks significantly worse than TLOU II and Red Dead.

Cross gen OG Xbox to 360.

With a 60fps title, I'm not expecting a graphical stunner. And with Xone being able to handle this title, I didn't expect impressive AI, physics and so on. But even then, this title looks absolutely depressing. Good thing I'm not a Halo fan. But man that was a hell of a disappointment.

Last edited:

shubik

Even if it is from photomode the last of us 2 downgrades and upgrades graphics quality on the fly depending on whats happening in the game. It also severely limits you in order to ensure they can keep the game pretty and extra pretty in other scenes. The game is designed around cutting you off from areas and not letting you do stuff doing a whole lot in the pretty scenes. The characters have at least 3 different character quality levels. They have two cutscenes levels and a gameplay level. This isn’t something naughty dog said, just an observation From when I played the game; as I was trying to get all the trophies and to do it quickly I noticed that depending on if Ellie or Abby are not as pretty looking, that’s how I know whether or not a cutscene is skippable and they kept blocking me from back tracking for no good reason.

The game is ultimately a Xbox One game optimized for Xbox Series X. Using the hardware to do a bunch of new Fancier stuff is not always
a flip of a switch. Else last of Us, god of war 3, breath of wild and gears of war would look close to as good as their sequels on current gen consoles. Halo was originally an Xbox one game that’s now also coming to series x. It’s not a series X game downgraded for Xbox one.

And for a lot of these scenic shots it’s really just a matter of art/aesthetics than lack of power or some kind of issue. I’m sure there scenic screenshots from PS3 days that look better than a lot of scenic scenes from many game’s today.

And for a lot of these scenic shots it’s really just a matter of art/aesthetics than lack of power or some kind of issue. I’m sure there scenic screenshots from PS3 days that look better than a lot of scenic scenes from many game’s today.

Also, people sure have high expectations for a studio and franchise not known for their technical prowess. I don’t expect Halo to be artistically Better or graphically Impressive as other studios I just expect major improvements from the last game. And I think this looks a lot better than Halo 5 which I found to be really ugly.

Have to disagree here. We are talking about Microsofts biggest IP and system seller. The whole marketing is focused on the technological jump and how it is the most powerful console ever.

You can´t stress these talking points over and over, hype people up with ridiculous claims (Phil after Sonys event), and then only show ONE!!! fucking gameplay demo that is so underwhelming as yesterday's Halo presentation.

Hell, even Ghost of Tsushima looks and feels more alive than the world they showed yesterday! Bad character models, flat-looking textures, no particle effects, no wind or any kind of movement in the vegetation, etc. This is supposed to be the jaw-dropper that makes Phil Spencer comfortable? Come on...

Just from a marketing perspective this feels like a nightmare scenario. Sony is laughing.

Zoro7

Banned
What makes me laugh is Microsoft hyped the shit out this conference and this is the best Halo footage they had?

Also this game seems the same as any previous Halo game except for larger worlds. Unless it has an amazing story what is exactly attractive about this game?

Codes 208

h4T1ZnM.jpg

Saw this on reddit. Someone noticed that the lighting and textures were different between the demo (left) and the trailer (right), it seems the claims that the demo was running on a several month old build has merit as there’s a noticeable increase in quality.

h4T1ZnM.jpg

Saw this on reddit. Someone noticed that the lighting and textures were different between the demo (left) and the trailer (right), it seems the claims that the demo was running on a several month old build has merit as there’s a noticeable increase in quality.
just the lighting. You can see all that in the demo too

Halo graphically sucks, but let's be honest, no ps5 game has had much impact either. 4K has killed the hype of this new generation. Nintendo wins.

Codes 208

just the lighting. You can see all that in the demo too
Hmm, on second inspection I guess it can be seen in the demo as well. But even then it still doesn’t look quite 1;1 to the lighting on the right, but that’s the funny things about these comparisons as they could’ve been cherry-picked

What makes me laugh is Microsoft hyped the shit out this conference and this is the best Halo footage they had?

Also this game seems the same as any previous Halo game except for larger worlds. Unless it has an amazing story what is exactly attractive about this game?

Still waiting for the mic drop

jigglet

Banned
This might actually work out well for me. I was planning on upgrading my GTX 1060 for this game, but I seriously think I'll be able to run it at medium to high settings at 100fps given what I saw in the demo.

Last edited:
This is because 343 had to build their own engine. They kept changing and changing and now we got some bastardized version of CE coming that looks like a 360 game.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Rewatched the trailer again in 4K, I'm liking the art style and don't see a lot of problems graphically. Does it look next-gen, not really, but it also doesn't look like crap. It seems to be fun to play, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Rewatched the trailer again in 4K, I'm liking the art style and don't see a lot of problems graphically. Does it look next-gen, not really, but it also doesn't look like crap. It seems to be fun to play, can't wait to get my hands on it.
Fun to play is going to be the new excuse that xbox fans are going to give, since the 12 Tflops do not impress anyone. If I was a fan of the brand I would feel cheated.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Fun to play is going to be the new excuse that xbox fans are going to give, since the 12 Tflops do not impress anyone. If I was a fan of the brand I would feel cheated.
Well you go ahead and watch graphics, I'll play actual games

Well you go ahead and watch graphics, I'll play actual games
I'm just saying that sometimes criticizing what we like is good, Spencer does not deserve to continue leading the Xbox, he only knows how to create hype and then disappoint. If fans of the brand were more critical of the company, perhaps things for Xbox would be better. They have a lot of money but poorly used.

JimiNutz

Banned
If it still looks anything like this at launch then it'd be a terrible mistake not to delay this.

I know the idea of a new Halo at launch is really appealing and on a personal level I was desperate to see Halo Infinite and was really excited...

But they are gonna do the Xbox brand and the Halo IP a lot of damage if they release it looking like this. Please delay if necessary and don't rush this out like MCC.

HelpYouFall

This is the biggest take away here. They advertise the worlds most powerful console. They better have games that completely crush the competition graphically.

That's not how any of this works. They already had the most powerful console with Xbox One X and this wasn't a lie. It did as advertised: in almost all of Digital Foundry comparison it outperforms the PS4 Pro. In some instances even pretty spectacularly (being able to run The Witcher 3 close to 60 fps as the only console comes to mind). Is the difference massive in general? I have both a Pro and a One X and I'd say: not really. But it does consistently outperform my Pro (Destiny 2 and Shadow Of War being my main points of reference).

All this COMPLETELY CRUSHHHHHH nonsense is just fanboy talk and hyperbole and you're adding to the nonsense.

Last edited:

Eliciel

"But while it’s easy to get carried away about the prospect of playing Halo Infinite, it’s worth taking a minute to think about the enormous work put into this playable preview of Halo Infinite. While this is just a section of the final game, it took a herculean effort to make sure this little corner of our Ringworld was polished and pretty enough for its premiere! The art, lighting, design, environment, graphics, production and engineering teams involved in carving out and curating this little slice, are nervous and excited to show people a glimpse of what we’re building."

Oh my god, Don't get me wrong and I am going to say it:
Ani Shastry is a great guy, I don't know him, but he must be, but still, I mean, I have to judge the product!
This is not personal....!!! This is about the actual gameplay.

and sorry but this is absolutely cringe:
"When you grab the Warthog for the first time, and you’re driving through the terrain. Seeing the rich, lush, and evocative landscape harkens back to the old Halo experience in a way that is simply magical."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just saying that sometimes criticizing what we like is good, Spencer does not deserve to continue leading the Xbox, he only knows how to create hype and then disappoint. If fans of the brand were more critical of the company, perhaps things for Xbox would be better. They have a lot of money but poorly used.
Why not? He gave us Game Pass... Did you see what we are getting for Game Pass? It's insane. We've got amazing games coming to this subscription service. If you don't see that as an amazing plus, well then you go ahead and pay $60 for every game and then some more with all the loot boxes and microtransactions

Why not? He gave us Game Pass... Did you see what we are getting for Game Pass? It's insane. We've got amazing games coming to this subscription service. If you don't see that as an amazing plus, well then you go ahead and pay $60 for every game and then some more with all the loot boxes and microtransactions
You are right, not all the decisions were bad, but the general level of Xbox games has been reduced since the Xbox 360 a lot.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
You are right, not all the decisions were bad, but the general level of Xbox games has been reduced since the Xbox 360 a lot.
The biggest problem I have with this is that they started so late with buying up studios. I think the games that they've shown will be great, almost all of them, problem is that this will take 4 years before all of them have been released...

ChrisDude

Halo fans: The gameplay and feel of halo 4 and 5 sucks, give us back old school halo feeling, enviroments and enemys!

*343 goes back to old school*

Halo fans: This sucks! Where is the innovation?

Kumomeme

do not fret...this is due to lower graphic setting..this is merely xbox one downport features...they said that once devs just turn up the magical graphic sliders..it would instantly look next gen!

optimization is simple as that!

Last edited:

whitesugar

Banned
Yes, diehard Sony fans love to shit on MS fans. It's everywhere on the internet. But I guess that's console wars for ya

it's both ways, and it always has been. xbox fans have a huge thread on the site about Xbox being the power king that shits on Sony, which is fine and some of it is funny. but you can't have a thread like that and then bemoan the fact that the flagship game on the world's most powerful console looks as bad as it does and people are poking fun at that

it's both ways, and it always has been. xbox fans have a huge thread on the site about Xbox being the power king that shits on Sony, which is fine and some of it is funny. but you can't have a thread like that and then bemoan the fact that the flagship game on the world's most powerful console looks as bad as it does and people are poking fun at that
Its toxic on both sides. Quite sad really

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sure, but as a next gen carrot?

Honestly, as I get older I'm starting to see that the better a games graphics are, the more I won't like it. My favorite games this gen have been Fortnite, Civ VI, Hitman, Heroes of the Storm, and Overwatch.

I'm hoping that 343 had to limit the visuals because we're going to see really large scale battles. Granted, the gameplay demo just looked like more Halo to me in terms of scope but I'm an optimist.

Top Bottom