• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite & Its Disappointing Reveal & Overall Graphical Quality

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
9LxPxYn.png

I've never been interested in the extra 2 TF. Others have.

Hmm, on second inspection I guess it can be seen in the demo as well. But even then it still doesn’t look quite 1;1 to the lighting on the right, but that’s the funny things about these comparisons as they could’ve been cherry-picked

one thing I find curious is that apparently the demo lacks ambient occlusion or its too light to the point that is as if its not there, lot of things look like floating above the floor the same with enemies, they cast shadows so is not always a problem but looks wrong specially with those boxes from the covenant also with rocks shadows are the biggest problem they look too weak for the amount of light in my opinion, there is a lot of pop up in nearby objects but they are a bit weird they change very close to the character but they are visible only in third person view like when driving the warthog check rocks at one side when MC passes driving, aparently they are made in a way that in first person view you wont notice maybe is some kind of optimization for XB1 streaming assets? there it a lot of physics problems from past games, basically is like old halo games but adapted for the new console and bigger scenery

Three

Has Halo changed at all in any capacity since Halo 1? That looks like the same game I played on PC 10+ years ago. I kept thinking to myself watching it......games eventually evolve.....Mario evolved, Sonic evolved, Tomb Raider evolved, EVEN FIGHTING GAMES EVOLVE......

Calling it now, laziest franchise ever.
Combat only evolves once.

Strategize

I feel kinda bad for 343 at this point, they can't innovate too much in fear of being shit on by hardcore halo fans that just want Halo 3 redux over and over again, but they also can't just pander to OG Halo (like this seems to be) because it just comes across like an outdated imitation.

Halo just needs to be taken around the back of the shed and shot at this point. Microsoft still must be kicking themselves for letting go of Bungie because they wanted to make Destiny.

This article just sums it up perfectly really.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-24-we-should-talk-about-how-halo-infinite-looks

"Halo is an OG Xbox Game, so its designs come from a time when you couldn't adequately represent the human body and faces and details - Master Chief's whole design is a response to the fact you can't make people look anything else but blocky. It's why he wears armour that makes him look like luggage. The problem is, when 343 take designs from this era and render them with the fidelity possible on modern hardware, you get an art style that's weird and theme-parkish. It's like characters from Halo dressing in Halo-themed monkey suits."

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Ok so he's literally saying THE GAME ISN'T FINISHED AND READY TO SHIP.

Just delay this shit guys, jesus.

No one will blame you if we don't get a half assed Halo at launch.

I'd rather play 3rd party exclusives and upgraded BC games until Halo is done cooking... just put the damn thing back in the oven and lets see it again next year.

What does this really mean for the game? This July thing had been planned for a couple months but they probably were targeting E3. Did they slice off an area of the game back in the spring and try to optimize the graphics with a smaller team? How does what we see here relate to the quality of the game's look at present? It certainly does not look very good, but it is unclear to me what that means for the game itself which likely will have had more people working on for 6 or more months from when they split off the demo code by the time it goes gold and another few weeks for the Day 1 patch.

Ozzie666

Gears 5 is truly an exceptional piece of software, they pulled out every trick in the book. They also changed the game levels and refreshed a tired franchise. I think it's reasonable to think Halo should have looked as good as GoW.

REE Machine

Banned
Sony fans think every Sony game looks better then every other game ever. That’s the issue here. The last of us two looks better then this and that keep in mind it’s a game with fewer npcs not open worlds not full 4K and definitely not 60 fps. People blindly make these comparisons like it’s apples to apples when it’s not it’s not like the games are built 1-1.
Again horizon zero dawn at E3 looked better than this, and what happens when it comes to pc and is 4k 60 whats yiur excuse then?

Starfield

I think people are jumping too early to conclusions. It's still months away and games do improve overall until release

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I like how it looks really. I'm sure the detail is the background will get fixed. The only downside looks wise is the character models. But isn't it a tradition for Halo games to have horrid character models?

Gameplay look very uninspired though.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Sorry pal, it's in : (
Wow. This is really bad. Unless the maps are on a completely different level compared to Halo 4 (detested those lackluster maps) then I’m probably going to sit back and observe closely what this game will be like before I purchase and if I purchase

Sprint makes a small map accessible from one side to the other in like 5 seconds when it should be a decent trek to make progress. Sprint really killed the fun for me. No ground / territory is earned when there is sprint. It’s just COD level chaos. Any idiot can run around the map and reach a spot. But how many can do that when it’s easier to be spotted and you are moving at a jogging pace or running pace? Soldiers cannot sprint all out like 8 times or bouts, maximal exertion in a matter of two minutes (a lengthy life for a player I would assume in any given match) so why should they be able to spam sprint?

I think it ruins Halo, to a degree it does

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You're comparing a microscopic area to a huge open world.
It changes nothing if it's open world or not. HALO 3 was released on X360 13 years ago, quality of art assets and design in this game are far better than in HALO Infinite. Moreover, HALO 3 runs on PC in 5K with 144FPS on a 11TFLOPS GPU, so clearly with the same art assets quality and in open world, Infinite can be easily playable in 4K 60, if not more with DLSS2.0 type of tech or even without it.

ruvikx

Banned
Let's be real here, it was absolutely abysmal showing. I am buying XSX regardless, but holy shit. It was really bad.

Sadly, the Series X will really only "shine" in its initial release phase with third party titles running better. I'm thinking stuff like Cyperpunk etc. which should benefit from the extra power. But Microsoft need to have a few words with some of the people making their so-called flagship title (Halo).

All the talk of graphics, yet what the hell is the game even about? A Combat Evolved-esque homage/remake in a GaaS Destiny clone formula? Jesus Christ, what the hell? When Halo 3 & Reach were revealed, we knew we were in for some epic stuff. This just seems like another would-be slot machine riding off the coattails of a franchize's name. No thanks.

Dodkrake

Banned
I feel kinda bad for 343 at this point, they can't innovate too much in fear of being shit on by hardcore halo fans that just want Halo 3 redux over and over again, but they also can't just pander to OG Halo (like this seems to be) because it just comes across like an outdated imitation.

Halo just needs to be taken around the back of the shed and shot at this point. Microsoft still must be kicking themselves for letting go of Bungie because they wanted to make Destiny.

This article just sums it up perfectly really.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-24-we-should-talk-about-how-halo-infinite-looks

"Halo is an OG Xbox Game, so its designs come from a time when you couldn't adequately represent the human body and faces and details - Master Chief's whole design is a response to the fact you can't make people look anything else but blocky. It's why he wears armour that makes him look like luggage. The problem is, when 343 take designs from this era and render them with the fidelity possible on modern hardware, you get an art style that's weird and theme-parkish. It's like characters from Halo dressing in Halo-themed monkey suits."

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
You're comparing a microscopic area to a huge open world. Show a fair comparison instead.

Why are you pretending games like RDR2, horizon zero Dawn, spiderman, hell, even Forza horizon 4, run on far less powerful systems with far higher detail?

lord the memes are outright hilarious. Whats with this strange looking dude in the screenshot above the official gameplay screenshot of halo infinite, looks like an orc from the PS3 version of shadow of mordor :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Rodolink

It changes nothing if it's open world or not. HALO 3 was released on X360 13 years ago, quality of art assets and design in this game are far better than in HALO Infinite. Moreover, HALO 3 runs on PC in 5K with 144FPS on a 11TFLOPS GPU, so clearly with the same art assets quality and in open world, Infinite can be easily playable in 4K 60, if not more with DLSS2.0 type of tech or even without it.
I changes tons, developmentwise is way different the asset pipeline, optimizations, performance, rendering that can be done when your goal is open world or level based. It is indeed weird that there are open worlds out there looking 100 times better, but we dont know the problems 343 have had, nor their engine and pipelines etc.
People tend to think that just because you get a more powerful hardware automatically your game will be better, everything needs to be developed.
There are many examples, you have shitty portotype games in Unity and then you have Ori, it all depends on the dev team.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
People tend to think that just because you get a more powerful hardware automatically your game will be better.
Well yes, cuz they have every right to want / expect that cuz surprise - they tend to be way better on next gen consoles. Compare ACII with Origins or Odyssey for example in terms of art assets quality, world complexity etc. etc. etc. All of them are open world games, though Origins and Odyseey are much, much bigger, but it didn't stop them from looking way and way better.

And yeah, sure, we don't know why the game looks the way it is, but it should look way better cuz hardware is more than capable to provide it.

Last edited:
Again horizon zero dawn at E3 looked better than this, and what happens when it comes to pc and is 4k 60 whats yiur excuse then?
Horizon forbidden west was all in-engine trailer. So if it comes to pc which is the most powerful platform of course it will look better then a game built for Xbox one and is only getting an upgrade version for Series X.

REE Machine

Banned
Horizon forbidden west was all in-engine trailer. So if it comes to pc which is the most powerful platform of course it will look better then a game built for Xbox one and is only getting an upgrade version for Series X.
But but but series X is 12 teraflops and theres no way the X version will be held back, Phil told me so

But but but series X is 12 teraflops and theres no way the X version will be held back, Phil told me so
i know your guys like to misquote phil and twist everything he saids but that’s ridiculous. Again once the console starts being used to it’s full potential im sure these threads will be goin different once multiplats start being compared. Until they show a game like hellblade that doesn’t have an Xbox one version then we can talk.

Rodolink

Well yes, cuz they have every right to want / expect that cuz surprise - they tend to be way better on next gen consoles. Compare ACII with Origins or Odyssey for example in terms of art assets quality, world complexity etc. etc. etc. All of them are open world games, though Origins and Odyseey are much, much bigger, but it didn't stop them from looking way and way better.

And yeah, sure, we don't know why the game looks the way it is, but it should look way better cuz hardware is more than capable to provide it.
no man thats what I mean, it should look better IF the team can develop it to be better, not just because of hardware capabilities.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
no man thats what I mean, it should look better IF the team can develop it to be better, not just because of hardware capabilities.
C'mon now, you seriously think that 343 can't do better art & design-wise? Look at HALO 4 and HALO 5, they can do better and they had 5 years to make HALO Infinite.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I dunno. I thought it looked awesome and can't wait to play coop with my buddies. Graphics seem good to me, they seem faithful to older art direction and aren't going for ultra realism, which I like.

Looking forward to playing on PC with the 3080ti. I really hope cross-platform play is included at launch.

Droxcy

Crackdown 3 all over again

Want to see some MP gameplay to shift my opinion but yeah it looks like Halo

Last edited:
Reactions: TJC

Rodolink

C'mon now, you seriously think that 343 can't do better art & design-wise? Look at HALO 4 and HALO 5, they can do better and they had 5 years to make HALO Infinite.
well not in an open world as far as we could see. Unfortunately I stopped at Halo 4 so not sure how Halo 5 is done in terms of level structure.
But yeah who knows, I hope they reveal their dev process afterwards.

TJC

i know your guys like to misquote phil and twist everything he saids but that’s ridiculous. Again once the console starts being used to it’s full potential im sure these threads will be goin different once multiplats start being compared. Until they show a game like hellblade that doesn’t have an Xbox one version then we can talk.
At least HB, Fable, will look next gen as they are all at least 3-4 years away. Which on its own is disappointing... Hellblade might get a 2022 release at the best. 3 years waiting for a decent exclusive. Jeez

Flintty

I don't even believe it's a new engine, just the old one with some improvements and a new name (Slipspace). It looks very similar to Halo 5 except possibly worse.

I’m starting to wonder if it’s a new engine that they just can’t get to grips with. Basic problems in that footage that shouldn’t be there for a flagship title.

Personally, I like the style (whether that’s a design decision or performance based remains to be seen) but the lack of shadows, lack of decent lighting in lieu of RT, and the pop in is hurting it. I like the stylised smoothness but get that a lot of GAF doesn’t. I’ve had a browse through twitter though and whilst there is some negativity, the drum being beaten by GAF isn’t being replicated across the whole internet.

And I thought Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and Watchdog Legions looked bad... now I look at them as the pinnacle of what I can expect on the XSX ,at launch and beyond.

you've got to be joking with valhalla is looking bad or watch dogs legion. Not only did both games look quite good(not exactly next gen, but current gen visuals polished to the brim) both games had solid gameplay reveals. So please stahp!

Top Bottom