• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Tech Preview Two | Sept 24-27 | Oct 1-3

Ozriel

M$FT
Ah you again lol
Battlefield is doing way more impressive shit on a way larger player count. That alone wipes the floor with Infinite.
Infinite has nothing impressive going for it.

Ah, you again.
It must really hurt. All ready to write off Halo Infinite and 343 and now they've had two very positive tech tests for the MP mode, and the Visuals are massively improved over last year's poor showing.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Question for the brains trust:

Since you can reload while sliding, should initiating a slide cancel a reload? Is this a bug or feature?

It seems inconsistent. There is zero skill in having to press the reload button a second time. It's just annoying. It doesn't feel like a balancing feature or a way to increase the skill gap. They already allow us to reload while sprinting, either make it so we can do both or make it so we can't do either.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Question for the brains trust:

Since you can reload while sliding, should initiating a slide cancel a reload? Is this a bug or feature?

It seems inconsistent. There is zero skill in having to press the reload button a second time. It's just annoying. It doesn't feel like a balancing feature or a way to increase the skill gap. They already allow us to reload while sprinting, either make it so we can do both or make it so we can't do either.

Thoughts?

I like how you're sensitive to these details

Last night I got killed way to often by being breathed on. Like 2 short bursts by the AR am i would be dead... =/

Hezekiah

Banned
Yeah it was obvious that you have a pc, all the Sony warriors have them. Just that your contribution to the thread is the same as it is in every Xbox thread. Nothing of value.
Whereas you've offered so so much acting like a triggered clown.

It's also funny how some people can't conceptualise the idea that some gamers own consoles and a PC. The best part is that I'll play this on my PC which will eat your Xbox alive 😊.

ultrazilla

Finally was able to play the open MP beta. Big team battle. Runs great on my comp, everything on max settings and averaging over 70fps at all times:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Nvidia Geforce 2080 Founder's Edition
(latest drivers)
Dell 2560x1440 Gsync monitor at 165hz model: S2417DG

It's fun but here's the thing(here comes the dog piling)-I've never gotten "into" Halo multiplayer. Like at all.
Halo has always been about the single player campaigns for me along with co-op with my brother Solarstrike Solarstrike

Extremely bummed out the single player isn't going to launch with co-op. That to me is a huge letdown, especially with a franchise as big as Halo.
If it were my decision, I'd delay the SP campaign until next spring/summer so co-op is included and more polish can go into the SP/co-op experience.

IDK what the hell 343 was doing all those years during development(strippers and blow?) but the fact we're still *NOT* getting co-op at launch is a joke. /sigh

Anyone else with me on this? :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Finally was able to play the open MP beta. Big team battle. Runs great on my comp, everything on max settings and averaging over 70fps at all times:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Nvidia Geforce 2080 Founder's Edition
(latest drivers)
Dell 2560x1440 Gsync monitor at 165hz model: S2417DG

It's fun but here's the thing(here comes the dog piling)-I've never gotten "into" Halo multiplayer. Like at all.
Halo has always been about the single player campaigns for me along with co-op with my brother Solarstrike Solarstrike

Extremely bummed out the single player isn't going to launch with co-op. That to me is a huge letdown, especially with a franchise as big as Halo.
If it were my decision, I'd delay the SP campaign until next spring/summer so co-op is included and more polish can go into the SP/co-op experience.

IDK what the hell 343 was doing all those years during development(strippers and blow?) but the fact we're still *NOT* getting co-op at launch is a joke. /sigh

Anyone else with me on this? :messenger_neutral:

I agree. Forge makes sense to delay. But campaign coop? Once people finish the game you’re not going to find many that will want to play through it again with you 3 months after launch.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Whereas you've offered so so much acting like a triggered clown.

It's also funny how some people can't conceptualise the idea that some gamers own consoles and a PC. The best part is that I'll play this on my PC which will eat your Xbox alive 😊.
You must have one heck of a PC my 5950x 3090 seemed to have a little more trouble running this then my Series X did.

Granted its optimizations but the Series X runs this game like butter at 120 fps already

yamaci17

You must have one heck of a PC my 5950x 3090 seemed to have a little more trouble running this then my Series X did.

Granted its optimizations but the Series X runs this game like butter at 120 fps already
i have my own humble pc in 2700x+3070 compared to yours yet i have no troubles running the game near series x specs

1200-1440p (dynamic res) high-ultra custom tweaked settings (with occasional mediums)

yMEoa6u.jpg
wQ90e9O.jpg
4lhEcaE.jpg

maybe you're pushing way aggresive resolutions and settings. xbox sx is not pushing all ultra or all native 4k for example. it hovers between 1080p-1440p dynamically. my own settings are subjective, i dont like pushing everything high or ultra. i find most of them uselessly inefficient

i get 100-110 fps at native 1440p and 135-140 fps at native 1080p;so dynamic resolution probably runs between 1080p-1440p

of course sx running equal to 3070 is a testament to the console's power and the optimizations. but a 3090 is waay more capable than a 3070, and therefore than a series x

then again, my old underclocked (for fun) crap zen+ cpu can push a consistent 120 fps across all maps, combats, and modes, so your 5950x can probably easily lock to a rock solid 200+ frames considering the massive IPC/single core/latency difference between them

XWI6HvD.jpg

tbh, i cannot deny the majority of the problems PC users are experiencing with this port. but it seems to be running smoothly for me, so far, so i was happy. i hope they can fix the game for everyone. if it *can* run this good on an old low IPC zen+ cpu, im sure it will run majestically on zen 2/zen 3/intel cpus. i kinda set the bar low

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
i have my own humble pc in 2700x+3070 compared to yours yet i have no troubles running the game near series x specs

1200-1440p (dynamic res) high-ultra custom tweaked settings (with occasional mediums)

yMEoa6u.jpg
wQ90e9O.jpg
4lhEcaE.jpg

maybe you're pushing way aggresive resolutions and settings. xbox sx is not pushing all ultra or all native 4k for example. it hovers between 1080p-1440p dynamically. my own settings are subjective, i dont like pushing everything high or ultra. i find them most of them uselessly inefficient

i get 100-110 fps at native 1440p and 135-140 fps at native 1080p so dynamic res that is targeted at 120 fps probably pushes something between 1200-1300p, similar to sx

ofc sx running equal to 3070 is a testament to the console's power and the optimizations. but a 3090 is waay more capable than a 3070, and therefore than a series x

then again, my old underclocked (for fun) crap zen+ cpu can push a consistent 120 fps across all maps, combats, and modes, so your 5950x can probably easily lock to a rock solid 200+ frames considering the massive IPC/single core/latency difference between them

XWI6HvD.jpg

tbh, i cannot deny the majority of the problems PC users are experiencing with this port. but it seems to be running smoothly for me, so far, so i was happy. i hope they can fix the game for everyone
I didnt try it on my PC this round just the first one and yeah I pushed it hard at first in 4k then dialed it back to what it took to hit 160

elliot5

per alex's recommendations on Twitter to set min and max FPS to your screen refresh I am having no problems with maximum resolution and even hit 165 FPS on my 3060 Ti. Even bumping up to 150% render scale (4K resolution) I'm getting 120 FPS on ultra. Not sure if something is still busted as visually it looked about the same 1440p vs 4K..

I'm playing on PC with a 3080 and a LG CX 48". The game looks good, not great though. A lot of the materials used look awesome like Rock formations and Metals from forerunner structures but, mud, sand, dirt foliage, trees, could look better.

I also stated that tire tracks look ugly. Something they could have opted for was a light use of Tessellated tire tracks kind of like how it's done in RDR 2. I also think there is a lack of environmental interactivity. Foliage moves when you walk past it but the lack of some form terrain deformation from your body falling on the ground when you die or a grenade explosion leaves something to be desired.

Lighting and also looks good in some parts but shadows overall look terrible in the sand map. It's way to soft and causes problems with foliage casting shadows which I think is just using SSAO. Would look better if they added denser foliage so that SSAO makes sense to use.

Spartans also lack good self shadowing. Looks blocky most of the time.

Another thing that left me unimpressed was the damage done to vehicles. Warthogs have more points of destruction in infinite but you leave no dents, just a decal until the part breaks off. I think Halo 3 did an excellent job with the way warthogs took damage, and the damage model overall. Ghosts also did this awesome explosion in Halo 3 that I really don't find enjoyable in Infinite.

I understand that maybe these are optimizations done to keep the Frame rate stable but if 4K 60 is the end goal for Quality on Series X and this is all 343 could muster then color me unimpressed.

And it's not just Visuals. Death animations are repetitive and sometimes overexaggerated. You can also tell that animations are running at a certain framerate as they look pretty janky. Walk around in the practice mode and shoot some bots in the head and you'll see what I mean. I kinda miss the days when devs just stuck to ragdoll upon running out of health and calling it a day. It looks like the way far cry handles animated deaths.

Sorry for being picky BTW. I like the game just eh. I don't know.
Unfinished game lacks polish, what a shock 😲

Billbofet

I played this on my Series S and I am super impressed with the performance as well as the graphics.

Can't understand the chest-beating over "my pc will eat your xbox" nonsense.
I'm having fun playing on my lowly Series S. I would anticipate not having fun playing it on Hezekiah's PC, as he/she would likely be in the same room.

VAVA Mk2

Has anyone figured out how to mute people? So annoying when someone has a head set for chat and their volume is so loud you hear everything from them the entire match. They don't care either when you ask to turn it down.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Has anyone figured out how to mute people? So annoying when someone has a head set for chat and their volume is so loud you hear everything from them the entire match. They don't care either when you ask to turn it down.
There are options in the chat settings to disable in game voice chat

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
commando is too hard to handle on controller? how are people getting kills with this lol I really want to like this gun.

Complistic

commando is too hard to handle on controller? how are people getting kills with this lol I really want to like this gun.

Single shot long range, 3 round burts medium range, full auto close range until their shields pop then line up a head shot. It melts people, honestly.

Ah you again lol
Battlefield is doing way more impressive shit on a way larger player count. That alone wipes the floor with Infinite.

Well, unfortunately, I have eyes and I find Halo Infinite a whole lot more visually and aesthetically pleasing. The player count again is a pointless argument in this discussion because Battlefield doesn't play the way Halo does, it doesn't have Halo's sandbox, so why would I care about a larger player count in a game that doesn't really interest me content or gameplay wise? What many people like you fail to understand is that Halo's look isn't about looking like some super realistic military shooter or about looking like any other shooter. It's about looking like Halo with improved, more modernized visuals while sticking closer to the stated goal of more legacy designs. As such Halo Infinite is a major success. It's proper next gen Halo.

Mr.ODST

Ah you again lol
Tell me your a jealous fanboy ... without telling me your a jealous fanboy

THEAP99

Banned
Ah you again lol
they have literally SHOWN barely any gameplay footage of battlefield. they have no confidence in that product. don't even mention it among a game that has given people much time to play with the game MONTHS from launch

Leyasu

Banned
Has anyone noticed that their character seems to move on their own (like stick drift) when you don't touch the sticks?

Or is my controller starting to drift.....

Banned

??? I played the last 2 days on Controller with mouse emulation on the right stick, meaning no aim assist, and I had no issue using the commando even with that

Last edited:
??? I played the last 2 days on Controller with mouse emulation on the right stick, meaning no aim assist, and I had no issue using the commando even with that

I went into the weapon drills to master it, and now I'm an absolute animal with the thing. Sometimes you do bursts, sometimes single taps. Those single taps with this gun are just deadly, especially at closer range. If you handle it right, you can basically strafe with it and just annihilate nearly everything in your path. The gun really comes into its own once you learn how to handle it while on the move.

First Halo Infinite game yesterday I was slaughtered on Behemoth. One kill and like over 20 deaths. 4 hours with regular level bots after that and ever since I'm racking up high teens, low 20s.

Banned
I went into the weapon drills to master it, and now I'm an absolute animal with the thing. Sometimes you do bursts, sometimes single taps. Those single taps with this gun are just deadly, especially at closer range. If you handle it right, you can basically strafe with it and just annihilate nearly everything in your path. The gun really comes into its own once you learn how to handle it while on the move.

First Halo Infinite game yesterday I was slaughtered on Behemoth. One kill and like over 20 deaths. 4 hours with regular level bots after that and ever since I'm racking up high teens, low 20s.

I love the Commando, but it sucks that Infinite uses random Bloom instead of recoil patterns -_- they seem to not remember the Halo Reach bloom debacle, even tho many ex-Bungie devs are at 343

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not a Halo gamer but dabbled with training mode with bots just now.

- Great looking game
- One thing I hate about Halo is figuring out who's an enemy. Seemed like everyone was blue
- AR is useless as it takes a million shots to down their shield and kill them. I did better picking up some more powerful semi-auto rifles at wall mounts. One gun was decent even with hip fire
- Sure seemed the AI always knew where you are

Not my kind of shooter, but maybe I'll stick to offline bot mode. I dont see myself investing time into this game so no point going online and getting destroyed

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned

The settings are broken. You have to turn down their volume, disabling them in the settings doesn't work.

jigglet

Banned
One gun was decent even with hip fire

All guns have the same recoil regardless of whether it's hip fire or aiming down sights. It's a hip fire based shooter.

- AR is useless as it takes a million shots to down their shield and kill them. I did better picking up some more powerful semi-auto rifles at wall mounts.

You need to learn the gameplay system - the way it works is each person has a shield, which needs to be removed before you can deal damage. Now some weapons are better at removing the shield, while others are better at dealing damage once the shield is down. So half the meta in this game is figuring out the right weapons for the right job. In many cases you will find yourself using at least two weapons in most battles. The fact that you are trying to take on most fights with only the AR means you should probably try switching it up a bit. It's not for the sake of variety - it's actually a key part of the game's mechanics.

I was like you at first and trying to take on every single fight with one weapon. Unless it's a power weapon or your accuracy is insanely good, this isn't a great approach. I find myself using the swap button more in this game than any other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom