• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite to be natively developed for the Xbox Series X

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
They're making it sound like they were set to show the world Halo Infinite on this generations Xbox and suddenly Microsoft dropped a bomb with the Series X. Everyone knew Microsoft was launching a new console. Everybody wants Halo no matter what console its on.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
So you’re arguing in a Halo thread without a frame of reference.
oQtLDLM.gif

You’re out of your element, Donnie.
Yep. Except that I just responded to your comment that it would be just like Shadow of Mordor. I do not think so. Now if I was talking about the expected story or gameplay of Halo Infinite then yes I would be completely out of my element.

It doesn't matter if you build and IP from the Series X and port down to the 2013 Base XBOX One

Or

If you build an IP natively from the 2013 base XBOX One and scale up to the Series X

The point is you still have to make an ip run on the 2013 hardware which limits the scope of the game.
So did the fact that they were going to make a switch port have an effect on creating the Wither 3?

Eliciel

They can put out whatever marketing spiel they like. We'll see what it looks like come July. If it ends up being an upscaled Halo 5 with some extra whistles then we'll know they were bullshitting us.
right? that's what I am saying. We will see it ourselves, we have eyes to judge....

Last edited:

Synless

How does this work when the game was announced on Xbox One? when I hear native, it implies to me that it started on that system.

cireza

Banned
Either there’s two different Games or it just means they developed the XSX version alongside the X1 as opposed to porting it at the end.
Of course there are two versions of the game. They are not going to release a One game with a Series X label on the box.

That's simply the classic course of action when changing generation. RotTR had a specific 360 version (that was very impressive by the way), still it was a specific effort, because what else could it be anyway ?

Microsoft simply told that they will be making these specific efforts and have two versions of their games (One and Series X) for a given period.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's the Alone in the Dark 2008 scenario again - same game for 360 and PS2, but also different
it's Forza Horizon 2 scenario, so those were lie 2 separate games. I mean version for X360 and XB1.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
They can put out whatever marketing spiel they like. We'll see what it looks like come July. If it ends up being an upscaled Halo 5 with some extra whistles then we'll know they were bullshitting us.
You mean you're going to break out your magnifying glass and use your super duper uber powers to discover if the game is just up res'd?

mckmas8808

Banned
Either there’s two different Games or it just means they developed the XSX version alongside the X1 as opposed to porting it at the end.

Language.

This! I wonder which one it truly is. And which team is making the Xbox One version if it's two different versions.

supernova8

Banned
You mean you're going to break out your magnifying glass and use your super duper uber powers to discover if the game is just up res'd?

No I'll just use two amazing devices... my eyes.
Of course what I wrote was hyperbole and if you took it at face value the joke's on you. Sucker.

Mister Wolf

Having two versions in nothing new and was the case for many cross gen games the last time around. Not only did Shadow Of Mordor on PS3 have worse and in some cases completely changed visuals than the PS4 version, it also due to hardware limitations had the Nemesis System completely removed from the game which was a major selling point in its advertising.

NullZ3r0

Banned
I'm guessing Gearbox or some other contractor is handling the Xbox One version of the game. This might be where the "reboot" rumors were coming from. Phil must have seen the "ported" version and told 343 to do better. So they basically restarted the game from the ground up on the Series architecture.

Also, this game is why Lockhart exists?

Last edited:
If Microsoft was smart, this story is true. The last thing they need in the wake of Sony's SSD advantage for open worlds is a gimped Halo: Infinite.

Mister Wolf

If Microsoft was smart, this story is true. The last thing they need in the wake of Sony's SSD advantage for open worlds is a gimped Halo: Infinite.

Im still waiting to see what the advantage is. They asked the Horizon developers like they are asking every single developer right now and the best they could come up with is "fast travel will be near instantaneous".

NullZ3r0

Banned
I seriously doubt this. Haven't they been working on this game for years just for current gen. They had a supposed in engine trailer back in 2018. I can see this game simply being have a remaster type port to the new xbox. Could be a spiderman like deal where it was originally a ps4 game but updated to take full advantage of the ps5.
Nope. If Bonnie Ross had any say in the matter, this was a Anaconda game from the jump. She wanted to launch Halo 4 on the Xbox One but was overruled.

This game never was anything but a next gen game.

Edit: Changed Scarlett to Anaconda.

Last edited:

the_master

I hope this is true but I doubt it.
If the game can be scaled one generation down, was it a next generatin experience to begin with?

LordOfChaos

Just think about what this even means for a second, perhaps you have the SX as a lead platform, but in the end you're going to need a game whose scope can still run on the old Jaguar cores and a mechanical HDD. What did native gain you in this context?

Perhaps there's some difference in which platform gets the most attention, but this is still a very different thing from when the 8th gen is dropped entirely and the game scope can fully encompass the 9th.

soulbait

I dont think that's how it works. Something developed for next gen consoles from the ground aiming to use whole next gen power cant run on older machine. Imagine spiderman , horzion or god of war on ps 3. They would need massively dumb down version for previous gen

The gameplay on those would have been the same though, just not as good graphics. None of those listed games really did anything new in terms of gameplay. Even spiderman travelling so fast through an open world wasn't that new, it was done in the previous generation, just not as well. Gameplay wise, they really didn't offer anything that would not have been able to be done before.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I dont think that's how it works. Something developed for next gen consoles from the ground aiming to use whole next gen power cant run on older machine. Imagine spiderman , horzion or god of war on ps 3. They would need massively dumb down version for previous gen

This all depends on what the team wanted to do internally. If they from the get-go started out knowing that it was going to be an anaconda game, then that gives them a lot more freedom to do things.

But if the game started out as an Xbox one only game then the design doc is entirely different.

The thing is we don't know how it was built and when anaconda came into it.

The thing about game design a lot of people in these forums don't understand is that developers go into making a game with a design doc and have an idea of what features that they want to add and what things they want to accomplish.

New hardware gives them the opportunity to try new things, but it takes years for them to understand everything that they can do. which is why a lot of games that start out in the generation have vastly different and Superior sequels.

I guarantee that most games coming out on both systems day 1 likely started out as Xbox one and PlayStation 4 games.

Dr Bass

I really don't see how this cross generational stuff is going to work with the differences in CPU. It's really not so much the graphics. How is that not going to limit game design ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom