• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite vs Halo Reach Visuals [Xbox Series X/Xbox One vs Xbox 360] [Am I stupid? I really wanna know what you think...]

MCplayer

So I made this Halo Reach gameplay 2 days ago and wanted to check it after seeing Halo Inifinite and boy does it look alot better....

Yes, this is on PC still it just has better textures, resolution and frame rates compared to the original 360 version, either way this is how Bungie designed visually Halo Reach and it looks miles better than Infinite.
Halo Inifinite being an open world is not an excuse, Xbox one or series X are way more powerfull than the 360 version allowing them not only to have an open world but at the same time make it visually better, now the way I see it is that 343 is turning Halo into a more cartoonish looking game, a more family friendly game. If you look at Halo Combat Evolved, the visuals were actually realistic, they didn't look like bordelands or didn't seem to have a pastel or plastic look, same with Halo 2, 3 and reach.

I'm disappointed honestly, hope the story at least isn't bad... which from what I can see it does make me think it will be, the brute speech was horrible and cringy. 343 has a totally different way of telling a story, Bungie was more artistic with well placed music for the moments, slow paced but well written and emotional cutscenes, wonderfull vistas, cinematographicly miles better, 343 is more of a Micheal Bay blockbuster storyteller...
You know what, tell what you think about this 2 side by side!

I'm interested to see how AI acts in this infinite, if its better than Reach.

Edit*
Don't get me wrong, Story is more important but Halo DESERVES excelent graphics since its supposed have unique art style, and what better way of showing that art style through amazing graphics?
Infinite just looks closer to Zelda visuals rather than past Halos

Halo Infinite in-game graphics

t1rQX0u.jpg

vesnBsx.jpg

KAYt8Ou.jpg

S9rnkpm.jpg

Last edited:
I have a strong feeling that Halo Infinite was/is going through some insane development hell. You don't have a game 4-5 months out and it looking like a bunch of blockouts - This is insane. I am so upset and just utterly shocked. 343 is a shit show.

This is very sad, I was giving the benefit of the doubt but unfortunately I cannot forgive anymore. I don't even think Xbox One is the issue, even an Xbox One game would not look this bad. It literally looks like this demo was put up/rushed in the last week.

Last edited:
Halo Infinite has an art style that evokes more of the almost cartoony (while still looking realistic) style of Halo CE and Halo 3 that is very clean. Halo Reach had a very gritty and realistic focused art style.

However, Halo Infinite looks much more clean, has a much greater fidelity, and also has much better detail and quality both close up and in the distance.

I will say this though, the pop-in, LODs and texture filtering did not look as good as it should on a console as powerful as the Series X. However, the game is still 3 and a half months from launch, we don't know if it was running on Series X hardware (PC makes much more sense, but if that's the case why not get one to match XSX hardware?) and even if those are there at launch the game still looks great (as long as the aliasing on Brohammer's beard is fixed)

MCplayer

Halo Infinite has an art style that evokes more of the almost cartoony (while still looking realistic) style of Halo CE and Halo 3 that is very clean. Halo Reach had a very gritty and realistic focused art style.

However, Halo Infinite looks much more clean, has a much greater fidelity, and also has much better detail and quality both close up and in the distance.

I will say this though, the pop-in, LODs and texture filtering did not look as good as it should on a console as powerful as the Series X. However, the game is still 3 and a half months from launch, we don't know if it was running on Series X hardware (PC makes much more sense, but if that's the case why not get one to match XSX hardware?) and even if those are there at launch the game still looks great (as long as the aliasing on Brohammer's beard is fixed)
Of course the visuals play with the setting of the game, and being open world at 60FPS and being cross gen, yes its not easy, still, I'm pretty sure it could look miles better.
And of course textures, models and most of the stuff were better techinicly than Reach but Bungie cleary knows how to develop a good image compared to 343, its just looks horrible, but I guees I just have a bad taste.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

You realize that open worlds are more demanding than canned levels loaded into memory...right?
These days with level streaming, hardly. Most open worlds are rendered with the same kind of memory constraints as linear levels. Horizon looked beautiful for its time.

MCplayer

These days with level streaming, hardly. Most open worlds are rendered with the same kind of memory constraints as linear levels. Horizon looked beautiful for its time.
I mean look at RDR2, the only way I see the visuals being this way is 343 targetting 60FPS on xbox one too, otherwise it could look better

Last edited:
Open world at 60FPS and being cross gen, yes its not easy, still, I'm pretty sure it could look miles better.

I mean, I'm sure it could (the Brute looked like rubber, same as Kratos from God of War 4 on PS4), but without any real comparisons there is no way to really be sure. The overall fidelity, the high quality textures, the particle effects, the eyes and the whole presentation still looks pretty good and above most games this generation (I know, it should be all games, but we have only seen a small demo and not the finished game, so who knows what it will look like in motion when we play it). The LOD and pop-in can also be adjusted before launch and I imagine that it will be

Andodalf

Banned
That's no excuse with the SSD, Xbox Velocity Architecture and the really strong CPU and GPU of the Series X.

Btw, RDR2 runs at native 4K and 30fps on a One X and has more things, physics and systems going on at the same time than Halo Infinite.

Oh damn you got a hands on???? Tell me all about every sub system and physics interaction! Is flying the banshee like flying in a helicopter RDR2? Red dead totally does incredibly demanding things like that right?

Let's be real...it's not gonna be til holiday 2021 til we see real next gen.

Fuck man...so dissapointed. Phil...cmon man.
I'm not sure what people were expecting though. Halo Infinite was announced for the Xbox One. It's essentially a crossgen game. The only thing the Series X could really do for it is increase the fidelity and framerate.

tryDEATH

You can catch any game you want in a less-than-flattering screenshoot, but that doesn't make the memes any less funnier. They should have vetted the footage before releasing it considering it was pre-recorded, such an avoidable and amateur move by 343.

Tulipanzo

I'm not sure what people were expecting though. Halo Infinite was announced for the Xbox One. It's essentially a crossgen game. The only thing the Series X could really do for it is increase the fidelity and framerate.
People probably were expecting the level of quality from the game previous two showcases, not worse

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
.........I'm not gonna even respond to this. I'm tired of people continuing to push this false narrative.

Here's the real facts. 343 Industries just don't have gusto to do a proper Halo campaign.

It looked really solid, but hey, it has to run on that piece of crap named the Xbox One. That thing compared to XSX is so underpowered I wonder how MS can even think about supporting it still.

Just kill it already.

"we have a great collection for those who want Halo on X1: it's called MCC".

Here's the real facts. 343 Industries just don't have gusto to do a proper Halo campaign.

I'm afraid that's the real problem. I still love the lore and the franchise so much though, I'd play anything. But yes, even the worst 5 minutes on Bungie's Halo is better than the best 343 Halo's moments.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Oh damn you got a hands on???? Tell me all about every sub system and physics interaction! Is flying the banshee like flying in a helicopter RDR2? Red dead totally does incredibly demanding things like that right?
I'm talking about weather systems, incredibly detailed day and night cycles, cloud simulations, Euphoria physics, environments filled with destructible elements and interactive objects like buckets, cans and other shit that reacts to physics and gunshots... you know, the kind of shit that adds actual detail and makes the game world both believable and reactive to the player's inputs. Also, Halo has a shit ton of pop-in and the backgrounds look really flat even at medium distances. That for sure does not happen in RDR2.

Andodalf

Banned
I'm talking about weather systems, incredibly detailed day and night cycles,
How do you know it won’t have this?

cloud simulations,

How do you know it won’t have this?
Euphoria physics,

Havok physics aren’t bad
environments filled with destructible elements and interactive objects like buckets, cans and other shit that reacts to physics and gunshots

How do you know it doesn’t have this? We definitely saw some destruction in the demo

Javthusiast

Banned
It is an unfinished early access Platform, as in Destiny gaas type of game. They probably are scrambling to launch it with the console no matter how it will look, lmao.

Wonko_C

I'm not a fan of Halo but I think they wanted to evoke the more colorful look of the very first game in the series.

Top Bottom