• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite's Split-Screen Co-Op Has Been Canceled

N30RYU

Of all the people that played or planned to play Halo Infinite 0,5% at most i would say. I bet there are more warriors pretending to be super shocked and disappointed than actual gamers.
the dark knight joker GIF

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Who cares about split screen? Which was the last racing game released with split screen, not to mention FPS?

Judging by the outrage in this thread, shouldn't lack of split screen in modern games be a massive topic?
I fucking hate the fact there is no split screen games anymore. Now that I have a massive TV no fucking game supports it (or local co op for that matter). I have friends over, we can't really play anything together. It sucks.

Gravemind

I hope MS takes Halo away from 343 as much as the next guy, but are we really going to pretend like the majority of us actually use local split screen? I'm sure it has its niche but I actually think that diverting resources to more important parts of the game is a good move. With that said, all of these modes should have been available at launch. It's a massive failure.

This is probably gunna be an unpopular opinion but if it were up to me I would have prioritized launching Forge and other multiplayer features before even getting started on network co-op as well...

You can say "omg so much demand if you play once every 2 weeks" but I say, we bought most of the Tales of games on Steam and the only reason we bought them was because you could couch co-op in fights.
We/I wouldn't have bought any of those games if it weren't for that.
Halo also wouldn't have gotten as much playtime if it weren't for couch co-op.
Many friends got into Halo because they played with me co-op at some point and got hooked on the gameplay, so it even helps sell games.
And just look at forums how disappointed people are that it got canceled. Yeah obviously, there is absolutely no demand for it /s.

Human Fall Flat, Gang Beasts, Overcooked, Moving out and more are many games that only exist because people like to play couch co-op.
I think most people have put more time into Halo online rather than co-op in split screen. I played Halo co-op and loved it, back that was back in 2001. Ever since online racing in PGR2 or online co-op in the likes of Rainbow Six vegas I've never looked to enjoyed Split screen gaming and loved the full screen gaming

In 2022 I think most people don't bother with split screen gaming, other than if you want to joing in on the hate bandwagon and bash Halo and 343. I'm getting ready for the Sonic hate in a couple of months time too

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
For fucks sake... Microsoft needs to lay off some people
- Launch an incomplete game
- Delayed a year to deliver only the basic of it
- and can't keep with the standard that the franchise made in the first place, another year later

Amazing that a company can fuck up MS's flagship IP for 10 fucking years and STILL be employed. MS should have cleaned the house after Halo 5. I have been saying this for the longest time. After this new update/news, I have never seen so many people say that 343 should not work on the next Halo game. That really says something, and if MS continues to sit on thier ass with this IP, then they are just as accountable as 343.

They have also removed 4 years of content in that same time…

I absolutely love destiny but they did long time fans dirty. Years later and we still not at what we had content wise. That isn't something to be praised for.

They removed two years of content and have more than replaced it since. D2 is hands down the best example of a live service game success, and it wasn't even designed to last more than 3 years.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
They removed two years of content and have more than replaced it since. D2 is hands down the best example of a live service game success, and it wasn't even designed to last more than 3 years.

There are a fraction of the strikes available before vaulting, they keep bringing back old weapon as new after vaulting, shit they had to put all the maps of a seasonal event into the strike playlist because there are so few left. The raids are recycled from d1….

Forsaken was the best campaign and it’s gone now because game don’t work cause it’s to big…. Hell last season major plot point was connected to the original campaign that people can’t play anymore. Don’t get started on pvp maps lost almost half of them and have gotten 1 new one, no new maps for gambit since forsaken….

When your answer to keep shit working is throwing out content people spent money for its not something to be praised…

Last edited:
There are a fraction of the strikes available before vaulting, they keep bringing back old weapon as new after vaulting, shit they had to put all the maps of a seasonal event into the strike playlist because there are so few left. The raids are recycled from d1….

Forsaken was the best campaign and it’s gone now because game don’t work cause it’s to big…. Hell last season major plot point was connected to the original campaign that people can’t play anymore. Don’t get started on pvp maps lost almost half of them and have gotten 1 new one, no new maps for gambit since forsaken….

When your answer to keep shit working is throwing out content people spent money for its not something to be praised…

You can tell who does and doesn't actually play the games they insist on having an opinion about.

I'd like to clear the air here since @dvdvideo struggles with reading comprehension: I did not say that Halo is slow and brutal. This was my post:

I said that 343i is killing Halo slowly and brutally, not that the gameplay is slow and brutal. I'll just add on to what others have said and say that, unless someone specifically states that they are speaking for everyone, it should be assumed that one's post is their own opinion. @dvdvideo, you need to work on not getting triggered so easily.

Gotcha. The dude clearly seems triggered that people are critical of the company. Seems like a massive warrior with issues.

I'd do a jokey hashtag trend like #MakeHaloBungieAgain but since Bungie is now owned by Sony. That joke is out of the window. On a serious note, 343i incompetence is beyond hilarious.

Last edited:
Amazing that a company can fuck up MS's flagship IP for 10 fucking years and STILL be employed. MS should have cleaned the house after Halo 5. I have been saying this for the longest time. After this new update/news, I have never seen so many people say that 343 should not work on the next Halo game. That really says something, and if MS continues to sit on thier ass with this IP, then they are just as accountable as 343.
Your comment and your name seem to be at odds.

OrtizTwelve

Let’s add Halo Infinite to the constantly growing list of “modern AAA” games with endless problems and fuckups, and of course micro transaction bullshit — to name a few. All these games are the same thing now. Trash.

As someone who has experienced the evolution of home console gaming since the late 1980s, the last half decade or so has seen the constant turnout of what are essentially broken video games and never ending developer fuckups.

This is the reason why retro games are so hot now — people realize that most modern games (not all, but MOST) are gimmicks, trash, media hype, and lack substance. Games from previous generations were as a whole “better” in the sense that you often purchased a finished product. Games now aren’t games, it all just feels like constant maintenance.

Last edited:

xRosaX

Neo Member
At which point does upper management actually take responsibility?

What this has really shown? That Microsoft/Xbox no longer needs Halo to survive. The Xbox brand will flourish just fine without Halo. Which I can only imagine the gut punch that must be to the Devs at 343. To think your working on Xbox biggest IP but in reality you could disappear over night and make little or no impact on Xbox brand. 343 will piratically disappear once Bethesda and Blizzard start pumping out exclusive titles.

Sad to witness.

Banned
Finally, someone noticed. It was a name change. I got too hopeful for once and now look at where we are.

they manipulated our feelings with that Slipspace engine trailer.
every Halo fan was emotionally manipulated by the combination of the classic Master Chief helmet and the Halo 3 music.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I do have to admit one thing. Even though it's still BS that this was cut, because it was a promised feature. AT LEAST, you can still get essentially the same utility albeit with more stuff/inconvenience.

Honestly, even if split screen was in the game, I would have just run two instances of the game side by side instead. But I already have a TV and a gaming PC right next to each other just waiting for such an occasion. But still this isn't that hard or farfetched to set up these days. Especially with commodity TVs/monitors, cheap game systems and the fact that you need 1 friend who cares about gaming to begin with to do this. You probably already have almost everything.

It's just not nearly as conducive to actually DOING it than simply picking a menu option that works on any living room setup. But at least this isn't a feature you can't replicate the experience of. As a brute force patch, you can still drop 2 displays and 2 consoles/PCs in one room.

Now if they removed Forge, that you can't fix by just buying more Xbox's lol.

Banned
I do have to admit one thing. Even though it's still BS that this was cut, because it was a promised feature. AT LEAST, you can still get essentially the same utility albeit with more stuff/inconvenience.

Honestly, even if split screen was in the game, I would have just run two instances of the game side by side instead. But I already have a TV and a gaming PC right next to each other just waiting for such an occasion. But still this isn't that hard or farfetched to set up these days. Especially with commodity TVs/monitors, cheap game systems and the fact that you need 1 friend who cares about gaming to begin with to do this. You probably already have almost everything.

It's just not nearly as conducive to actually DOING it than simply picking a menu option that works on any living room setup. But at least this isn't a feature you can't replicate the experience of. As a brute force patch, you can still drop 2 displays and 2 consoles/PCs in one room.

Now if they removed Forge, that you can't fix by just buying more Xbox's lol.

I wouldn't have played splitscreen coop either. I too have a PC and even a Series S for such coop sessions.

but what this says once again about this team and game+engine is damning imo

BlackTron

I wouldn't have played splitscreen coop either. I too have a PC and even a Series S for such coop sessions.

but what this says once again about this team and game+engine is damning imo

I agree, it's not exactly praise to say we can bail out their failed feature by adding Xbox's, but...well, at least you can lol.

Banned
It's also hard to ignore the following chart... and also remember that Halo 5 launched with more content than Infinite (more maps, armor, features)

aum7cmx5agl91.jpg

TheGrat1

I was going to say that it was both funny and sad that people are writing no split screen off as no big deal but upon further reflection it is just sad. If you expect less and accept less you get less. Demand more. You make gaming poorer for all of us when you do this. Imagine letting devs off the hook for not putting in features they promised they would just because you yourself do not care about it.

At least the Coalition is keeping the standards up.
Gears-of-War-5-3-Player-Coop.jpg

I had a blast playing through Gears 4 and 5 with my brother right next to me.

Unknown?

I think most people have put more time into Halo online rather than co-op in split screen. I played Halo co-op and loved it, back that was back in 2001. Ever since online racing in PGR2 or online co-op in the likes of Rainbow Six vegas I've never looked to enjoyed Split screen gaming and loved the full screen gaming

In 2022 I think most people don't bother with split screen gaming, other than if you want to joing in on the hate bandwagon and bash Halo and 343. I'm getting ready for the Sonic hate in a couple of months time too
Loner.

Top Bottom