• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo is Steam’s top-selling game as it finally launches on PC

For the first time, the series that changed console gaming forever comes to PC with six blockbuster games in one epic experience. This bundle includes all titles in the collection that will be delivered over time, beginning now with Halo: Reach and ending with Halo 4 in 2020
I've been living a lie lol.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

never playeed halo. in which order should i play the game ? i thought reach isnt the first halo but its the first game they released on pc now?
The battle on the planet Reach takes place over the course of several days, right before the events of Halo CE. There is even a mission where you have to protect a space port, where the the ship Pillar of Autumn is being loaded with The Master Chief and retreating military units, escaping Reach.

Did the game get a graphics overhaul?
Everything is bumped up to 4K/60FPS. Halo CE and Halo 2 got Anniversary graphics updates. Halo 3 had some high res textures that were always in the game, but weren’t unlocked until 343 bumped up the resolution in MCC. Everything from Halo CE to Halo 4 looks and performs way better than the original releases.

Have they said if we are getting Halo 5 on PC?
After this I would be shocked if the full Halo 5 experience doesn't come to PC.
With Halo Infinity coming out on Scarlet as a launch game and also on PC at the end of 2020, I doubt we’ll see a PC release for Halo 5. The campaign in Halo 5 is easily the worst of the bunch anyways and would be more of a hype killer, right before launching Infinity.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Now this is what a port should be like. Yes, they can't changed the lighting/material shaders in the game because that would be digging into the original code and the engine could be based off of old rendering API.

Nevertheless, the absolute BEST enhancement for ANY port would be allowing 4k and re-texturing ALL the assets by doubling or sometimes triple the texture size. The game looks current gen now except for the lighting, materials and FX.

Good job on MS!

anthraticus

Banned
The health does not regenerate, it's only the shield, you still need medipacks to regain health, dunno what you are talking about, seems like you should have spent more than 10 minutes with the game.

There is a reason that Halo: CE is one of the best FPS ever made for many many people
Even having those shields is wack, as it basically is/adds to your health.

Still popamole bs....whatever excuses you wanna make.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
That works both ways though, why buy an expensive gaming PC when you can play the same games on the Xbox?.
What people dont seem to realize is that there will always be PC Only gamers, Console Only gamers, and PC and Console gamers.

A good gaming pc does not need to be expensive. The only time expensive gets thrown in is when someone is trying to make a point against PC's and be a contrarian.

I never said a thing about pc only or console only gamers either. The point was you can have a pc and play almost all of its console exclusives which makes an xbox about pointless since it has very few true exclusives to it.

I own at last count 29 systems and a pc and I've come to realize xbox is about useless in this day and age. Between my playstation and pc I can play most everything I could want to play, switch occasionally getting used for a game or two a year. But the old xbox one s got packed up from lack of use. Cuphead, gears of war, killer instinct, now all the halo games and more to come to steam pretty much makes xbox useless considering the other 748,943 other games you can play on a pc plus the thousands of other uses it has, hundreds of peripherals to play those games with on a monitor or a tv, etc. Atleast playstation and switch have actual exclusives and things you can't do anywhere else.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Did the game get a graphics overhaul?
Yes it did.
Uh, no it didn't. It's almost the same with the expected resolutions possible on PC and some minor enhancements. Some post processing, better lod distances, some shadows, that's it. Not any kind of an overhaul. It looks great because it has actual art direction though, unlike your average modern high def game (plus crazy fps).
mcc-win64-shipping_20qhkku.png
mcc-win64-shipping_20j5kww.png

Original vs enhanced graphics, where's that overhaul, lol? Also, not a great scene admittedly, not trying to say the game looks bad, just that there's no overhaul to speak of here. It has great art direction and often looks really really nice and slick. I love the graphics (but the gameplay is plain, there's no oomph to the gunplay sadly).

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

I have $9 in my MS account and thinking of getting it there (I know, bad Jumbi!) is there any difference in the versions? Multiplayer and modding are non issues for me , I just really love the campaign for it

Last edited:

Stuart360

Uh, no it didn't. It's almost the same with the expected resolutions possible on PC and some minor enhancements. Some post processing, better lod distances, some shadows, that's it. Not any kind of an overhaul. It looks great because it has actual art direction though, unlike your average modern high def game (plus crazy fps).
mcc-win64-shipping_20qhkku.png
mcc-win64-shipping_20j5kww.png

Original vs enhanced graphics, where's that overhaul, lol? Also, not a great scene admittedly, not trying to say the game looks bad, just that there's no overhaul to speak of here. It has great art direction and often looks really really nice and slick. I love the graphics (but the gameplay is plain, there's no oomph to the gunplay sadly).
The enhanced option just improves LOD distances. If you watch DF's vid from last month, they go over a lot of the improvements (like higher rez textures), but at the same time, this game wasn't supposed to be some 'remaster' or something, its supposed to be the orig Halo Reach, now on PC with higher resolutions and framerates.
If anyone thinks all games are getting some kind of 'Anniversary;' level remaster, you're going to be dissapointed.

I love how they started writing the article, realised Halo used to be on PC and added some shitty "it's not completely new" sentences instead of reworking the whole thing.

Stuart360

Just started playing it. Man the graphics are pretty sick at 4k/60fps. It only averaging 50-60% gpu usage at 4k/60 on a 980ti.
Most of the textures look really good, and the 'enhanced' mode pretty much removes any pop-in, any i can notice anyway. Its quite impressive looking imo and i can only imagine how good Halo 4 will look on PC as Halo 4 was already a sizeable jump over Reach.

H4ze

Even having those shields is wack, as it basically is/adds to your health.

Still popamole bs....whatever excuses you wanna make.

So i can assume that you simply hate Sci-Fi?

Listen here guys, this dude said shields in Halo are BS okay? From now on plz hate them since our opinion doesn't matter

RScrewed

Listen here guys, this dude said shields in Halo are BS okay? From now on plz hate them since our opinion doesn't matter

Yeah this seems like a mature reaction. Get far in life by applying that sort of thinking elsewhere?

The regen health/shield whatever is incredibly dumb in a "hardcore" game like Halo. I blame Halo for making this lazy design principle mainstream, nothing says "I don't want to put any time and effort into balancing my game for each difficulty level" like offering the 'shoot-take damage-find cover' mechanic.

It's great for Devs though, I can see why they do it from a "let's churn out a new CoD" machine thing they got going on.

Btw, what does this have to do with hating sci-fi? The Fiction part of that means anything they write into the universe is possible, all they had to do was not write in something that isn't even remotely science actually, like a regenerating full body shield with an infinitely deep power well.

JimboJones

Shield mechanic is great in Halo, lets you at least have a chance at duking it out with another player vs say something like CoD where you bam your dead the minute someone sees you. It's hardly excessive either, 3 shots with a DMR and shields are down, one shot to the head and then they are dead, or get good at throwing grenades to deactivate shields and go for your kill then. Plenty of ways to attack the problem in halo rather than spraying people with the assault rifle.
But anyway there are modes like Swat and Snipers if your looking for one hit kills, you just gotta be good at head shots.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Was going to buy it some time last week, but it was still in pre-order mode......Only Reach being available is kind of a bummer though, whilst we have to wait for the other games to trickle in...….I find the MCC has been out too long for that type of launch, but I will buy it eventually......If all the games were there, I'd buy it already tbh...…..Hopefully they port Halo 5 down the road....

H4ze

Yeah this seems like a mature reaction. Get far in life by applying that sort of thinking elsewhere?

The regen health/shield whatever is incredibly dumb in a "hardcore" game like Halo. I blame Halo for making this lazy design principle mainstream, nothing says "I don't want to put any time and effort into balancing my game for each difficulty level" like offering the 'shoot-take damage-find cover' mechanic.

It's great for Devs though, I can see why they do it from a "let's churn out a new CoD" machine thing they got going on.

Btw, what does this have to do with hating sci-fi? The Fiction part of that means anything they write into the universe is possible, all they had to do was not write in something that isn't even remotely science actually, like a regenerating full body shield with an infinitely deep power well.

Now you gave a reason for your opinion, you can't blame me for answering immature to a post that only said "muhhh fuck shields".

It's just fine if it's your opinion that shields suck man.

I think the shield is a pretty fine addition to the gameplay, it was something new when Halo first released and gave a nice immersive feeling. Since you ain't some lame soldier, but the fucking Master Chief in a big as suit, the shild just fits the whole szenario pretty well I think.

But I have to admit, I never played much of Halo online, no matter wich one, I just enjoy the sp, so my opinion is limited to the sp.

Reach is pretty fun. I am enjoying the story, even if the actual combat is a bit lacking, with the feel of a console shooter from almost a decade ago. It is nice to play the series on PC, so again the story is quite the experience and environments are cool too. I'd insert a comment about this being a cheap man's Destiny 2 game but that might catch some slack, so I won't say that.

VertigoOA

Banned
Honeymoon may be over. We’re down to 20k players on steam.

titanfall 2 on ps plus a bigger comeback honestly

did reach not get an Xbox release too? MCC fell out of the top 50 on Xbox most played lists... surprisingly division 2 crawled back in at number 50.

halo 5 is one spot ahead of Fallout 76... lol.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Let's be honest, steam is basically a dumpster of indies these days. They really don't got much going for them anymore. EA is kinda keeping that boat alive.

VertigoOA

Banned
Let's be honest, steam is basically a dumpster of indies these days. They really don't got much going for them anymore. EA is kinda keeping that boat alive.

huh? Steam is the main distributor of software on pc.

The indieshit era of last gen is over anyway.

humble bundles were terrible for game developers and publishers btw.

Last edited:

FireFly

And when your friggin health would regenerate....lol

I only tried a bit of the first one at a friends house and I remember this making the game feel so trivial.
It's not trivial because the shields of the Elites also recharge. The whole point of replacing health with shields is to allow the enemies to almost completely deplete your "health" in a single exchange. In a regular health pack based shooter you would have a fixed amount of health that would have to last over several enemies, or rooms – so each enemy would be less impactful.

Great Hair

Banned
119,696​
151,965​

55,222​
74,107​

9,586​
21,594 PEAK​

A title with a 12th of the concurrent players of nr 5 is outselling it? I get that GTA5 is not selling billion of copies every second, but it´s always in the top chartes every month, since 2013. Futbol Manager 2020 sells for €50?

And it´s the only halo title on the list (top100 sales, selling, played). Also only windwoscentral is reporting on it. So ... and so far Microsoft has not announced HALO 6 for PC nor as Gamepass title (but i might be mistaken here).

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
119,696​
151,965​

55,222​
74,107​

9,586​
21,594 PEAK​

A title with a 12th of the concurrent players of nr 5 is outselling it? I get that GTA5 is not selling billion of copies every second, but it´s always in the top chartes every month, since 2013. Futbol Manager 2020 sells for €50?

And it´s the only halo title on the list (top100 sales, selling, played). Also only windwoscentral is reporting on it. So ... and so far Microsoft has not announced HALO 6 for PC nor as Gamepass title (but i might be mistaken here).
What? Every Xbox exclusive is PC and Game Pass, has been since two years ago.

VertigoOA

Banned
Waiting for the Halo cheerleader, VertigoOA, to come in here is a month or two and point out how player base numbers have gone down since the launch of CE and that Halo is dead. 😜

12,000 players right now isn’t great either... :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:
Top Bottom