• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo is the new Sonic

Banned
To be frank i think they said whole generation because admittedly the Dreamcast was sega's "6th gen console" (i personally still think it's 5th gen as it was released before the 21st century but it's whatever)

so we are now defining generations by the centuries or decades they released in?
well, does that mean the SNES, N64 and Dreamcast are all the same generation?

S0ULZB0URNE

FE4ZXWP.gif

Batiman

Banned
Sonic at least actually still has some great games the past decade (All Star Racing Transformed, Sonic Mania), arguably the best video game movies to date, and some legit good animated shows.

Halo EVERYTHING has been in a decline; they can't even get a TV adaptation that's been planned for at least a decade, right.

TBH Halo wishes it were as good as Sonic as an IP, and that's saying something.

The game is dead, just give it up already. There's nothing that's going to suddenly bump Halo Infinite back to launch numbers, or even half of that. Not even Battle Royale.
Biggest joke I read in a while

Biggest joke I read in a while

The only joke here is that you think I'm joking 🤔...

And about the generation, N64 and dreamcast are 2 years apart on hardware, why dreamcast and N64 are 2 different generation, when in fact is the same time N64 and Ps1 are years apart?

Tech advanced HYPER fast back then. In four years PC went from DOOM to Quake. Think about that.

Even in the console space; a year or so was enough for Sega to take Model 3 (which came out in 1996 btw; same year as stuff like the N64) and put that in a console design for $200...in 1998...with specs mostly finalized by the end of 1997.

No surprise that stuff like Dreamcast leapfrogged the N64, and it's closer tech-wise to 6th-gen hardware anyway so that's why Dreamcast is usually counted as 6th-gen.

Last edited:
Xbox 360 to Xbox One was 8 years
Xbox One to Series X was 8 years

PS1 to PS2 was 6 years
PS2 to PS3 was 6 years...

that's not an insignificant difference.

and still, the N64 was a generation behind the Dreamcast.
Ps1 to ps2 was 6 years and got games for 4 more years of games

PS2 have great games for 5 more years

Saturn to Dreamcast was 3 years with no extra years

Xbox to 360 4 years, with Just a extra year of content

PS1 10 years
PS2 11 years
Saturn 3
OG Xbox 5
DREAMCAST 3 YEARS

Just because the Xbox 360 have a normal lifespan dont make things different, in fact to add more

FAMICOM 83-94
SUPER FAMICOM 90-98
PC ENGINE 87-95
MEGA DRIVE 89-95

AND WII U 2012-16, so yeah, its not so different after all, only flops have low lifespan like a say

And about the generation, N64 and dreamcast are 2 years apart on hardware, why dreamcast and N64 are 2 different generation, when in fact is the same time N64 and Ps1 are years apart?

Banned
I mean, would you call the GBA a 4th gen console despite releasing 10+ years after the SNES and Genesis launched?

I have zero idea what that has to do with anything said prior... but the GBA is 6th gen.
GB = 4th gen, Neo Geo Pocket = 5th gen, GBA = 6th gen
handhelds were always weird tho, especially the og GameBoy as Nintendo had a lot of issues getting the successor ready so they prolonged its life multiple times with small upgrades

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
GB = 4th gen, Neo Geo Pocket = 5th gen, GBA = 6th gen
yes, and that's because of time lol
If the GBA came out in 1996 it would have been a 5th gen console
Time is a good metric for when we should judge the next console generation. Because let's admit it, if it were based entirely on power, the PS4 and Xbox one wouldn't even have been considered 8th gen consoles

Crayon

I played ce recently, thinking it was probably better than I remembered because I was always hard on popular games back then. Nah. It was exactly like I remembered it. It was good splitscreen if you were coming off perfect dark. Those grass and bark textures sure were impressive back in the day. Other than that there wasn't much going on. The one really excellent thing was the control. That set a standard so that's actually pretty important.

Banned

it's not only about release time it's also about the context of the hardware.

the Saturn was the competitor to the N64, the N64 was supposed to launch way earlier with the same hardware but was pushed back due to issues.

the Dreamcast was the competitor to the PS2 and the hardware could easily keep up with the PS2 as well. in fact the power difference between the Xbox and the PS2 was way bigger, yet they are seen as the same generation aren't they?
the hardware is therefore also irrelevant.

I agree with the OP and I'm pretty upset that Microsoft has let Halo go downhill the way it has. They've had every opportunity to see that 343 is incompetent and arrogant. They're one of those studios who has a disdain for their own fans. Kinda like Dice. There's always some kinda Twitter/reddit drama going on there. The point you made about them refusing to honor what made Halo great and instead they feel the need to make needless changes to the formula and make a soft reboot every time is spot on as well. They're woke but MS as a whole is woke as well so they won't fire 343 upper management and make needed changes.

Halo Infinite .. even the much heralded campaign is so lacking in story, environments and variety. I can't get over the fact that they had so much time and unlimited resources and the hindsight of the critiques of Halo 5 and they still messed up so badly.

Due to their arrogance they refused to look at the old Halos and figure out what made this series special.

Actually- I don't

Video games take more money to make and way more resources to make than most other forms of media. If Sega sees that the games aren't doing well but literally everything else is great why not just cut off the one thing that's hindering profits?

Doesn't help that every other franchise they have a hand in ends up being critically acclaimed, too (bayonetta, Phantasy Star, Yakuza, Persona, SMT, Super Monkey ball, hatsune miku i'm pretty sure, list goes on) but they can't seem to get Sonic right.

For years I've had this thought that Sonic Team are just tired of working on Sonic games and I think that might hold some weight. I feel like they keep trying to put in gameplay ideas that might be good in and of themselves but aren't the best fit for Sonic.

However since Sonic's the only mascot platformer IP Sega still keeps up with, a lot of those ideas go there when they're probably better served with a different IP. Sega's mainly to blame for that one.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I played ce recently, thinking it was probably better than I remembered because I was always hard on popular games back then. Nah. It was exactly like I remembered it. It was good splitscreen if you were coming off perfect dark. Those grass and bark textures sure were impressive back in the day. Other than that there wasn't much going on. The one really excellent thing was the control. That set a standard so that's actually pretty important.
it's not just the controls, it's the overall feel of the game, the story, the multiplayer, everything comes together to make an amazing experience tbh
Plus it was one of the first FPS games to have the open sprawling environments that it did- even modern shooter campaigns these days can't help being stupidly linear while Halo's environments were so huge and amazing, and spawned so many gameplay possibilities compared to what came before. Arena shooters beforehand as fast and fun as they were pretty much encouraged shotgunning everything as the standard while halo was more 'sandbox', you're encouraged to use a massive choice of weapons at your disposal
to be frank, Infinite nails this but fails on a lot of other metrics and doesnt evolve the gameplay like later halo entries would

Last edited:
I mean, would you call the GBA a 4th gen console despite releasing 10+ years after the SNES and Genesis launched?
To add to this, how can we define the PSP and DS? Because 1 is a PS1 portable and the other is a ps2, or the 3DS and Vita? Generation are not made by hardware, are based by design philosophy,

So a game like crysis who released in early 7 gen, 2007, was ALWAYS a 8 gen game Because consoles of the time cant run it?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The game is dead, just give it up already. There's nothing that's going to suddenly bump Halo Infinite back to launch numbers, or even half of that. Not even Battle Royale.

Please don't make this into another Steam numbers argument for a game that has its primary audience on Xbox.

It was a fantastic game and won multiple GoTY awards, including the one from this community.

Last edited:

Banned
yes, and that's because of time lol
If the GBA came out in 1996 it would have been a 5th gen console
Time is a good metric for when we should judge the next console generation. Because let's admit it, if it were based entirely on power, the PS4 and Xbox one wouldn't even have been considered 8th gen consoles

it's not about time, it's about competition. which group of systems compete against eachother.

the GB competed against the Lynx and Game Gear, the Neo Heo Pocket came out way later and was originally positioned against a possible GB successor which was on the way but was pushed back multiple times,
so the NeoGeo Pocket and the Wonderswan didn't have a direct competitor as Nintendo simply kept the GB alive to long enough until their new handheld was finally ready, which was multiple years later than planned.

the Dreamcast did not compete against the N64 or PS1, it was positioned by Sega to give them a headstart over the PS2 and Dolphin, and it used hardware that Sega through was able to stand its ground against them.

and even Sony in their PR directly announced that they will release a Dreamcast competitor with their PS2

Batiman

Banned
how so? Sonic's literally been at his most popular in the past 25 years while Halo's basically getting dunked on by everybody

considering GAF, i'm actually surprised more people didn't come into this thread shouting about how halo was never good
Sonic mania is the only good game sonic had since genesis. Halo has never had a bad reviewed game despite some fans being disappointed. Sonic never had a well reviewed game despite the fans defending every piece of trash that’s released.

I own almost all sonic games because my son always loved them growing up. Now that’s he’s a teen he looks back and laughs at the fact he even enjoyed them.

Banned
Sonic mania is the only good game sonic had since genesis. Halo has never had a bad reviewed game despite some fans being disappointed. Sonic never had a well reviewed game despite the fans defending every piece of trash that’s released.

I own almost all sonic games because my son always loved them growing up. Now that’s he’s a teen he looks back and laughs at the fact he even enjoyed them.

review scores are a useless metric, stop using them to make a point in an argument

Crayon

it's not just the controls, it's the overall feel of the game, the story, the multiplayer, everything comes together to make an amazing experience tbh
Plus it was one of the first FPS games to have the open sprawling environments that it did- even modern shooter campaigns these days can't help being stupidly linear while Halo's environments were so huge and amazing, and spawned so many gameplay possibilities compared to what came before. Arena shooters beforehand as fast and fun as they were pretty much encouraged shotgunning everything as the standard while halo was more 'sandbox', you're encouraged to use a massive choice of weapons at your disposal
to be frank, Infinite nails this but fails on a lot of other metrics and doesnt evolve the gameplay like later halo entries would

hmm. When's the last time you played ce? Just wondering if our memories are apples to apples here. For me it was just 3 or 4 months ago.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
it's not about time, it's about competition. which group of systems compete against eachother.

the GB competed against the Lynx and Game Gear, the Neo Heo Pocket came out way later and was originally positioned against a possible GB successor which was on the way but was pushed back multiple times,
so the NeoGeo Pocket and the Wonderswan didn't have a direct competitor as Nintendo simply kept the GB alive to long enough until their new handheld was finally ready, which was multiple years later than planned.

the Dreamcast did not compete against the N64 or PS1, it was positioned by Sega to give them a headstart over the PS2 and Dolphin, and it used hardware that Sega through was able to stand its ground against them.

and even Sony in their PR directly announced that they will release a Dreamcast competitor with their PS2
Ahh, you raise a good point. Competition does play a big role into a console's fit into a generation. Dreamcast was never explicitly competing with the PS1 and N64 as much as it was the upcoming consoles. At the same time though sega could never have predicted how powerful the PS2 and gamecube would be so maybe that wasn't the best choice for them
That being said i still think time works better as a sort of indicator, especially these days when console generations span a decade now.
just like how 7th gen represented the late 2000s, 8th gen represents the 2010s and 9th gen the 2020s, each decade corresponds with a console generation and it's far easier and simpler to understand personally
Plus eventually after a certain amount of TIME has passed, console developers will eventually release their newest system.

Batiman

Banned
Please don't make this into another Steam numbers argument for a game that has its primary audience on Xbox.

It was a fantastic game and won multiple GoTY awards, including the one from this community.
People desperately want halo to be considered bad when it’s always generally well received. Mismanagement and content is where the complaints come from and that’s fair. Then again it has more content in it than most games and more then the last 5 sonic games combined.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
hmm. When's the last time you played ce? Just wondering if our memories are apples to apples here. For me it was just 3 or 4 months ago.
Same. mine was 4-5 months ago. I'd continue, but i don't wan't to have to use up 100gb of my PC hard disk for MCC.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Halo has diehard fans that critique any halo game.
this is exactly why people say halo has fallen off. The main target audience of the halo game see the game and think it was disappointing. One of the first audiences of people to call out infinite on its bullshit were diehard Halo fans. Everybody only caught up months later when the game fell off in playercount.
If the main target audience of your game finds it bad.... It doesn't matter the review scores other critics or outsiders give it, it was a bad entry into the franchise. Outsiders may like it from the onset, but that favoritism is temporary as the game starts to show its cracks
its why a game should cater to the target audience only and companies should stop trying to appeal to everyone

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Ah the weekly Halo thread.

Games decent enough. Solid campaign, decent mp. Shit live service game that lacks updates and features. Seems that puts alot of noses out of joint around here. Alot of the critique is valid but way way over blown.

Still play once or twice a week, i suspect it'll get a relaunch at some point probably when the BR hits.

Batiman

Banned
this is exactly why people say halo has fallen off. The main target audience of the halo game see the game and think it was disappointing. One of the first audiences of people to call out infinite on its bullshit were diehard Halo fans. Everybody only caught up months later when the game fell off in playercount.
If the main target audience of your game finds it bad.... It doesn't matter the review scores other critics or outsiders give it, it was a bad entry into the franchise. Outsiders may like it from the onset, but that favoritism is temporary as the game starts to show its cracks
its why a game should cater to the target audience only and companies should stop trying to appeal to everyone
Look when the game released. It was praised by fans right off the bat. Check here, Reddit, reviews, era etc. 90% of complaints are from lack of updates that’s it.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Sonic at least actually still has some great games the past decade (All Star Racing Transformed, Sonic Mania), arguably the best video game movies to date, and some legit good animated shows.

Halo EVERYTHING has been in a decline; they can't even get a TV adaptation that's been planned for at least a decade, right.

TBH Halo wishes it were as good as Sonic as an IP, and that's saying something.

I'm no die-hard Halo fan, but the Halo franchise destroys the Sonic franchise when it comes to the quality of games. Mania is an old rehash, and Racing Transformed is an alright Mario Kart clone. Look past that, into the previous decade, and the Halo trilogy annihilates every Sonic game ever made.

Besides, even with 343 and their lackluster management, I still have more hope for Halo than the absolute nightmare of modern Sonic games.

sainraja

Actually- I don't

Video games take more money to make and way more resources to make than most other forms of media. If Sega sees that the games aren't doing well but literally everything else is great why not just cut off the one thing that's hindering profits?

Doesn't help that every other franchise they have a hand in ends up being critically acclaimed, too (bayonetta, Phantasy Star, Yakuza, Persona, SMT, Super Monkey ball, hatsune miku i'm pretty sure, list goes on) but they can't seem to get Sonic right.
If they were going to give up on Sonic, they probably would have already. So not sure how it helps pointing out if Sega sees the games aren't doing well......well they have been trying to make them work.

What the hell

Infinite is an amazing Halo title

… it is however still not complete - but in a year it will for sure be one of the best
The standards are in the gutter, my god.

Imagine saying this about a game delayed for a full year, released with like one mode, almost 0 updates since then, after almost a full year.

You're saying the game will be complete 3 years after its original release date basically...

Management sucks over there. No excuses.

Last edited:

BodhiHogie

Neo Member
Amazed at the timeliness of this thread. Despite diminishing returns over time, I have always considered the Bungie Halo titles to be absolutely top notch in their genre.
I picked up Halo infinite for $20 a few weeks ago. I’ve put maybe 6 hours in to the campaign, and when I went to bed last night it really hit me that while Halo is not dead, it will never be a fraction of what it was during the glory days again. I’m sure many of you came to this conclusion after one of the previous middling 343 games, but Infinite was the 3rd try and I’m utterly bored of this game like the last two.
It also made me wonder why in the hell it is taking Microsoft so f’n long to bring an absolute killer app to the system. The 360 was my second favorite console of all time, and I’m old.
Wasn’t a Genesis man, so I don’t have a history with Sonic, but I’ve heard all the stages of grief regarding the franchise. I would agree with the Halo Sonic comparison, but the crazy thing is Frontiers actually has my attention for the first time.

Top Bottom